leafan

Lego Ideas Support Thread - Historical/Castle

10 hours ago, Heechee84 said:

It is very much possible the previously approved Blacksmith has completely ruled them all out.

I really hope not, as castles, especially some of those you mentioned, would be more popular in more age groups than a blacksmith in the castle theme. I like the original submission of the blacksmith, but I think it's too big to represent a medieval building and I would be thankfull if the designers shrinked it or, even better, turned it into a small medieval village.

Hopefully It wouldn't be too cheeky for me to post my own medieval fantasy themed Ideas project on this thread. Hopefully you find it to be worth your support.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/0d8ccc5d-ea58-4071-a9d8-10ecb781a12b/comments_tab#content_nav_tabs

50326275446_7d1843b4d2_w.jpg50326280421_86a9aeab69_w.jpg

Edited by Agent Kallus

9 hours ago, Wesley D said:

I like the original submission of the blacksmith, but I think it's too big to represent a medieval building and I would be thankfull if the designers shrinked it or, even better, turned it into a small medieval village.

I completely agree, something that are in scale with 10193: Medieval Market Village and 7189: Mill Village Raid would be perfect :pir-thumb:
If it is not then it must be a very good stand alone set like the old fishing store with a decent amount of animals and other great details or I might skip it :shrug_oh_well:

I don't think a Blacksmith would automaticly rule out a proper Castle set unless it's a 2-in-1 build like Barracuda Bay.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 9/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, jtooker said:

If you look at most 'themes', I'd say that is probable, but the one exception is space, specifically models of real space objects.  I think that 'theme' is special since LEGO can sell those models to many non-LEGO people; more-so than they could sell a castle set, even one that looks realistic. 

Of course, it depends on how you define theme. As well as "space", there is a "sitcoms" genre, and a "stuff on the shelf" genre (ship in a bottle, maze, typewriter, now globe), and a "movies" genre that they happily revisit time and time again.

I found a new castle ideas: The Gate Tower by Albrick: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/84e8e363-64e5-49bd-8e32-d8fb64a7af7e

resize:800:450

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Of course, it depends on how you define theme. As well as "space", there is a "sitcoms" genre, and a "stuff on the shelf" genre (ship in a bottle, maze, typewriter, now globe), and a "movies" genre that they happily revisit time and time again.

Great points.  "Stuff on the Shelf" genre is especially prevalent in approved ideas choices.

5 hours ago, jtooker said:

Sadly, the forest castle and Hyrule castle were not chosen in the latest ideas round.

I thought there were much more interesting projects that could have been chosen compared to the one that was.

4 hours ago, MAB said:

That is an excellent point.  Many of the Ideas projects that have been produced are more display pieces rather than playsets.  I'm happy for detailed playsets like the Barracuda Bay and the Treehouse, but the Ship in a Bottle, the piano, the globe.... meh.  I realize that this probably appeals to more of a non-Lego enthusiast and probably sells well, but I have little interest in these 'on the shelf' items.

I am quite enthusiastic about the Blacksmith set coming out in the somewhat near future, however.

Edited by Grover

Still hope that the Blacksmith Shop will be revealed soon.

Personally wishing for a more Castle-ish approach on the design with a bit more stonework, or a tower roof like Guarded Inn.

A hinged design could be interesting as well as then it could be displayed in different ways.

Edited by TeriXeri

@Grover - The Castle in the Forest was excellent. However, Medieval Blacksmith was pretty close to the Castle theme and producing another castle so quickly is almost impossible.

Zelda? Well, I don't know, but all Zelda projects before has been rejected. It's hard to say that TLG will accept future Zelda projects. I understand the license might be an issue...

15 hours ago, jtooker said:

Great points.  "Stuff on the Shelf" genre is especially prevalent in approved ideas choices.

The important point here really is that even though customers may see "space" as a theme (and similarly "sitcoms", "movies" and "stuff"), LEGO do not. So they do not disallow further space / sitcoms / movies / stuff. The Mars Rover blocked further Mars Rovers, but not the Apollo Program. Big Bang Theory blocked further BBT ideas, but not Friends. 

Similarly Barracuda Bay has blocked "Pirate Bay and Pirate Ship/galleon style ship concepts" but not other pirate ideas. 

And the Blacksmith has blocked "Medieval Blacksmith concepts" but not other castle ideas. So I think there is scope for future castles, as long as they concentrate on a different aspect.

Edited by MAB

Not many new submissions but here are some nostable submissions ending soon : 

Trolls's Siege Brachiosaurus - 3 days 3450 supporters

resize_to_fill:400:264

The Beachfront Castle - 3 days 71 supporters 

Lego Castle Winterlands Frozen Falls Fortress - 10 days 1257 supporters

Medieval Knight House - 21 days 3413 supporters

Edited by TeriXeri

I am tremendously excited to present my very first IDEAS submission. After years of being pushed, prodded, and cyber-bullied by my online and LEGO community friends to put something on IDEAS, I am proud to show you my love letter to the classic Western theme, the Frontier Bank Heist. From a product standpoint, it's intended to meet an intersection of display value and playability, with a bunch of features built in.

jOZdZBdl.jpg

Frontier Bank Heist

As an homage to the classic sets 6755 Sheriff's Lock-Up and 6765 Gold City Junction, the "killer feature" is an exploding wall, detonated by the bandits to reveal the safe inside. Unlike the classic sets that required you to push a printed 1 x 2 tile into a slot, this mechanism is actually activated by pressing the plunger on the TNT detonator!

giphy.gif

The bank also features modular construction, allowing the back wall and the roof each to be easily removed. This means you can access it like a modular building by removing the roof, or display it like a classic LEGO set with the rear wall off, or remove both for maximum interior access!

NubMO3Vl.jpg

In fact, to make posing figures and staging robberies even easier, the entire interior lifts out as well.

cGoRUBHl.jpg

mfUryDYl.jpg

The interior is filled with all kinds of furniture and details. There's a writing desk, a filing cabinet, a ledger book, a balance scales, and a safe full of cash and gold bars with a simple locking mechanism - it cannot be opened until the bars are turned.

LBoRCaWl.jpg

To really tie together the story, I've built a wagon that the bandits can use in order to escape with the safe.

DRXBHP1l.jpg

IKOZXxCl.jpg

You can lower the rear hatch and use the hook and chain to pull the safe out of the bank. The rear axle sags under the immense weight of all that gold! The sheriff still has a chance to stop the bandits, though, as he lines up a shot at the TNT crate in the bed of the wagon - push down on it to launch the driver off the bench!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and I hope you'll help make the Frontier Bank Heist a reality!

On 11/23/2020 at 1:15 AM, Carbohydrates said:

I am tremendously excited to present my very first IDEAS submission. After years of being pushed, prodded, and cyber-bullied by my online and LEGO community friends to put something on IDEAS, I am proud to show you my love letter to the classic Western theme, the Frontier Bank Heist. From a product standpoint, it's intended to meet an intersection of display value and playability, with a bunch of features built in.

jOZdZBdl.jpg

Frontier Bank Heist

As an homage to the classic sets 6755 Sheriff's Lock-Up and 6765 Gold City Junction, the "killer feature" is an exploding wall, detonated by the bandits to reveal the safe inside. Unlike the classic sets that required you to push a printed 1 x 2 tile into a slot, this mechanism is actually activated by pressing the plunger on the TNT detonator!

giphy.gif

The bank also features modular construction, allowing the back wall and the roof each to be easily removed. This means you can access it like a modular building by removing the roof, or display it like a classic LEGO set with the rear wall off, or remove both for maximum interior access!

NubMO3Vl.jpg

In fact, to make posing figures and staging robberies even easier, the entire interior lifts out as well.

cGoRUBHl.jpg

mfUryDYl.jpg

The interior is filled with all kinds of furniture and details. There's a writing desk, a filing cabinet, a ledger book, a balance scales, and a safe full of cash and gold bars with a simple locking mechanism - it cannot be opened until the bars are turned.

LBoRCaWl.jpg

To really tie together the story, I've built a wagon that the bandits can use in order to escape with the safe.

DRXBHP1l.jpg

IKOZXxCl.jpg

You can lower the rear hatch and use the hook and chain to pull the safe out of the bank. The rear axle sags under the immense weight of all that gold! The sheriff still has a chance to stop the bandits, though, as he lines up a shot at the TNT crate in the bed of the wagon - push down on it to launch the driver off the bench!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and I hope you'll help make the Frontier Bank Heist a reality!

I really like you build. Very much attention is given to every little detail.

1905452377_01z1.png.01eddffef3aaf547260f528c0972e4d1.png Hello all castle lovers. I'm planning on submitting a new castle that's probably going to be even better than my Castle in the Forest project.

It's going to be very much the same idea but completely redesigned with much more ... well, you will see. I hope this one to be just as successful as the previous one.

I wanted to ask the community here about the title I should give to it.

=> Is the castle in the woods better than castle in the forest (english is not my first language I don't really know the difference between woods and forest)

=> Is it ridiculous to give the same title or to name it "the Castle in the Forest 2"

=> Do you have some other suggestions ?

(Don't expect it to come before 2021, the way I've started this, it's going to be a huge job to complete it)

^ There is no real (practical) difference between forest and woods. Forests tend to be bigger in area than woods, but something on this scale could be either.

Edited by MAB

3 hours ago, MAB said:

^ There is no real (practical) difference between forest and woods. Forests tend to be bigger in area than woods, but something on this scale could be either.

Not technically true... A Forest does not need to have any trees in it, at least not when the word originally came to be applied in England. The word was used to describe land set aside as hunting grounds, predominantly Royal hunting grounds. So a Forest can be a Forest without trees, whereas a Wood without trees is a field.

Next week's lesson will be on why 'medieval' buildings never had black-painted timbers in the walls...and why every MOC (and even my much loved Medieval Market Village set) is therefore historically inaccurate)...

That's the blue-touch paper lit...now to stand well back...!