Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Just now, RODDY said:

I don't understand this logic at all. Legos are for kids why make these dumb down sets for them. If I was a kid, I wouldn't want that set at all. Kids aren't as dumb as people think they are. They can handle regular system sets. You never saw this nonsense back in the heyday of Lego Star Wars. Kids want big toys, they want something that will make them say wow. And for that $60 price point, they should be getting alot more which will discourage parents from buying them. They'll just buy the next COD instead, and I would too. Lego need to start beefing their sets up if they want people to stay for the prices they have been charging. Soon enough it will start biting them. 

They’re not dumbed down. It’s just a speeder and tree, but with shooting targets and guns. 

Just now, Whovastron said:

They’re not dumbed down. It’s just a speeder and tree, but with shooting targets and guns. 

How about that AT AT and Echo Base entrance. 

Edited by RODDY

Just now, RODDY said:

How about that AT AT and Echo Base entrance. 

That anot dumbed down, just shrunk to allow Bette play. Some kids can’t afford an AT-AT and an echo base in desperate £100 sets, I would of loved this as a kid.

You make some points overall, but it doesn’t explain why there should be a comparison, for example with the endor set,  with the Ewok village, why would it be able to go with that. Form a concept point of view sure, they could of made a small endor set that could have. But to be disappointed what we’ve gotten here after knowing for months that it was going to be exactly this is beyond me. I don’t get why people were expecting more.

48 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Some people moaning about the endor and both sets need to remember they’re not supposed to be regular sets, they’re a children shooting game.

Exactly. The way I see it, is that Lego has an “off year” between the movies to try something different (new for the younger) and celebrate the past (old for the adults). Honestly, I needed a break from the system scale and UCS so my wallet can recoup. I’ll probably grab some (not all) of the 20th anniversary sets and skip the rest.

Any word on the May UCS? Or will that get announced later this year?

8 minutes ago, RODDY said:

And for that $60 price point, they should be getting alot more which will discourage parents from buying them. They'll just buy the next COD instead, and I would too. Lego need to start beefing their sets up if they want people to stay for the prices they have been charging. Soon enough it will start biting them. The collectors won't support them either if there isn't enough variety.

I do agree with this too. Most of my nephews and nieces don’t get to do Lego unless I or grandparents buy them for birthdays and holidays.

10 years ago I heard parents say “Lego is so expensive.” Now I hear them say “Lego is TOO expensive.”

Just now, thorin said:

Exactly. The way I see it, is that Lego has an “off year” between the movies to try something different (new for the younger) and celebrate the past (old for the adults). Honestly, I needed a break from the system scale and UCS so my wallet can recoup. I’ll probably grab some (not all) of the 20th anniversary sets and skip the rest.

Exactly also, with everything else coming out this year (avengers, Harry Potter, Jurassic World, Lego Movie) a theme needed to take a hit for my sanity’s sake lol. Saying that though, I’m still wanting most of what’s coming this year

Just now, thorin said:

It’s very likely the Tantive IV. 

Also, unrelated to this question, a leaker on Insta said we’ll be getting Jedi Exile/poncho Luke in the next Advent Calendar. 

Just now, Whovastron said:

That anot dumbed down, just shrunk to allow Bette play. Some kids can’t afford an AT-AT and an echo base in desperate £100 sets, I would of loved this as a kid.

You make some points overall, but it doesn’t explain why there should be a comparison, for example with the endor set,  with the Ewok village, why would it be able to go with that. Form a concept point of view sure, they could of made a small endor set that could have. But to be disappointed what we’ve gotten here after knowing for months that it was going to be exactly this is beyond me. I don’t get why people were expecting more.

Because they are both on Endor and at least to me the Endor sets should be able compatible with one another. The Endor Bunker, Ewok Village, that Ewok Battle pack and the Tyridium all go well together. This on the other hand sticks out like a sore thumb because of the action features. And as a big ROTJ fan, it sucks that there was not even one 20th anniversary set from that movie. They remade the Podracer from 99, why not remake Speeder Bikes from the same year? 

Just now, RODDY said:

Because they are both on Endor and at least to me the Endor sets should be able compatible with one another. The Endor Bunker, Ewok Village, that Ewok Battle pack and the Tyridium all go well together. This on the other hand sticks out like a sore thumb because of the action features. And as a big ROTJ fan, it sucks that there was not even one 20th anniversary set from that movie. They remade the Podracer from 99, why not remake Speeder Bikes from the same year? 

Well we’ve known for months that it was going to be a shooting game, so I wonder why you’d get your hopes up for anything that wouldn’t stick out. Lego is first and foremost a toy company, and they’re experimenting, experimenting in a theme that can afford to take a hit if it fails. 

so for everyone p&m'ing about the action battle sets and kids this kids that ... 

i have an 8 and 5 year old ... 

i just showed them the pictures ... they're extremely excited to get those ... 

i giggle at the cuteness [almost laughably so] and there's certainly no place in my collection for them [except the minifigs that my 8 year old said she would give me] ... the nailed it for the target audience ... hell, if i was 8 i'd be chasing my friends with those shooters shooting them ... 

what something like this does is keeps the 'brand' alive with the target audience ... and without that we might not have the stuff an afol wants ... people should be glad that not every set in every wave appeals to them, saves them money ... 

Slave I looks fantastic of course, the price is still insane but it's probably the best looking set in the Star Wars line up. I really like the packaging for the anniversary sets with a little homage to the original sets. I was really looking forward to Vonreg's TIE but I can't help but be a little disappointed. I expected the cockpit to be much more round like the FO Special Forces TIE and I had hoped they would try to give the wings some curve but it's still a really cool set I'll likely pick up. The Black Ace looks really good and I'm very glad it'll actually be $39.99 in the US and not $49.99 like people were saying. I still don't get why we're getting this ship out of all of the ships in the show, including the Fireball, you know, the main ship in the show! The AT-RT and Anakin's Podracer sets still look great and I plan on getting both of them, the Snowspeeder is just as boring and passable. The Imperial Dropship actually looks quite a bit better with the backend detached but I'm getting this regardless for the figs. I really don't understand why people are so upset with the shooter games. They're clearly aimed at a younger demographic and they're kinda funny. It's not like they're replacing sets in this wave, it's just a new subtheme like 4+/Juniors people just need to chill.

Edit: Looking at Slave I again they messed up the build for the top section of the cockpit. That whole chunk is a stud higher than it should be, no wonder why it looked odd to me. Jeeze, do the people setting these up only get like 10 minutes to set these up? 

Edited by ToaDraco

What does everyone think of the new Hoth rebel troopers? I think the switch back to dark tan for the legs and helmet makes them too dark. The printing of the white jacket down onto the grey legs on the last iteration wasn't always the best in terms of print thickness, but I think the grey legs with the longer jacket looks more accurate.

Oh man that packaging for the Slave 1 looks sick. I even might be buying those other sets because of the packaging *oh2*

anyway, i don’t get the weird play sets. I hope for TLC kids will love it, i  for one won’t. If the sets are cheap enough i might buy some of course 

2 hours ago, Tidy said:

so for everyone p&m'ing about the action battle sets and kids this kids that ... 

i have an 8 and 5 year old ... 

i just showed them the pictures ... they're extremely excited to get those ... 

i giggle at the cuteness [almost laughably so] and there's certainly no place in my collection for them [except the minifigs that my 8 year old said she would give me] ... the nailed it for the target audience ... hell, if i was 8 i'd be chasing my friends with those shooters shooting them ... 

what something like this does is keeps the 'brand' alive with the target audience ... and without that we might not have the stuff an afol wants ... people should be glad that not every set in every wave appeals to them, saves them money ... 

Thank you! The point of this is that it appeals to CHILDREN. I'll buy the endor set to test out this whole gimmick, as well as get those sweet figures, but along with most adults, I just won't buy much of them. We shouldn't be complaining that sets meant for kida are too blocky or childish if they have to fit in massive action features all over to make the gimmick work. Honestly, the problem isn't with LEGO, it's with us.

Vonreg's TIE is so good, I won't buy it as I hold out hope for an imperial TIE interceptor ( And need to save some of my wallet between the 20th sets and Endgame sets), but it looks amazing.

Black ace is cool i guess, I will never understand why they opted to do this instead of the fireball but it does look pretty good.

The boxes for those 20th anniversary sets hit me right in the nostalgia, and solidify my purchase of Slave one.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

New Scout Trooper looks pretty good, but that's going onto my small list of Star Wars figures that could really use some dual molding.

The Black Ace is a little disappointing, but about what I expected based on the price point. I'll probably beef it up a bit when I buy it. Vonreg's Tie is amazing, as is the scout trooper, so I'll probably get the Endor shooter as well. 

Now if I could just find time to moc up the rest of the Aces...

3 hours ago, Hulk_Smash said:

Hahaha, the box art for the AT-RT has really messed up the legs on the walker!

How exactly?

So both Resistance sets look good but are so overpriced! Not sure if it's worth buying them at original price, probably better to wait for a sale. Action sets are weird but I guess it's the point, probably gonna get Endor one for that awesome scout trooper minifigure. 

Looking at these new action attack sets, I can’t help seeing command posts from the original Star Wars Battlefront games...  Does anyone else see the resemblence?  Thinking very far into this, but on the topic of Star Wars Battlefront and LEGO potentially coordinating marketing with EA, there’s supposed to be an update for the current game (EA’s Star Wars Battlefront II) releasing this month bringing back the classic game mode of capturing command posts from the original games which has been HIGHLY anticipated by the game’s community.

I can’t help but feel this new LEGO theme is also a nod to EA’s Battlefront alongside being aimed at children.  The builds are underwhelming of course for the target audience, but we all have to admit the minifigures are well done and included in bulk (at least for the Hoth set) which is rare these days, even for the so called battle packs of recent years, and AMAZINGLY include actual weapons instead of stud shooters.  I actually hope LEGO continues with this theme going forward.  I would be overjoyed to see the same thing done for the battle of Geonosis, Kashyyyk, and even Naboo from the prequels.  It’s great for kids, and could be the best opportunity AFOL have had in ages to get relatively cheap sets for army building once again.

41 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

How exactly?

Just look at where the legs attach to the body, the left leg is not attached 

IDK if its just me but Black Ace looks really, really small in the official picture. Maybe it'll look bigger in person though, and it does otherwise look alright. Something about Vonreg's TIE looks really bad to me, I think its how messy the color palette of the cockpit is. I wish Lego would just suck it up and built a whole TIE cockpit in a single color like its meant to be, it really shouldn't be an incoherent mess of three different colors, it looks like crappy camo. A lot of the rest of the ship kinda looks messy too honestly. I know those shooter sets aren't meant for us (although I wouldn't have liked them as a kid either), buuuut Im still gonna laugh at how bad that AT-AT's legs are. Wow. 

The only positive thing I can say about any of this is that the 20th anniversary box art is phenomenally good. Great packaging, but seriously disappointing wave. I'll maybe touch the Slave I if it ever sees at least a 30% discount, and nothing else.

1 hour ago, benderisgreat said:

So both Resistance sets look good but are so overpriced! Not sure if it's worth buying them at original price, probably better to wait for a sale. Action sets are weird but I guess it's the point, probably gonna get Endor one for that awesome scout trooper minifigure. 

Yeah I didn't realize how expensive they were. Major Vonreg's TIE is waaaaaay to much for what is shown, even with the new molds, and black ace is also strangely expensive.

I don't get why resistance is so expensive. There are a few new molds, but other than that nothing even helps contribute to the price hike. And action battle endor is $30? the $60 hoth I can see, but not the others. Eh, I'll buy it anyway for the scout trooper and printed tiles.

I guess it makes sense the sets have been sized down. Since a regular AT-AT constantly knocked over would result in a lot of small pieces all over the living room floor!

1 hour ago, Skyhammer said:

Looking at these new action attack sets, I can’t help seeing command posts from the original Star Wars Battlefront games...  Does anyone else see the resemblence? .

I thought that too. You have two factions, each with specific targets. In the same way Battlefront games encourage you to take out certain ships/bases. 

I'll echo that the Box Art for the 20th Anniversary sets are amazing. The Slave is a definite buy. As is the Podracer. 

This wave has to be really disappointing, but I still gotta get that new scout trooper, and maybe a few imperial dropships, which is wayyy too expensive for a battle pack.