kbalage

42077 Rally Car - with A & B model RC mod

Nice presentation video - as usual from You, well, not an exciting set for me. For much detailed analysis (review) I am waiting for Sariel and Jim. :classic:

37 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Good review but any info about new parts/colours would be suitable.

I listed the parts in new color a couple of replies earlier

3 hours ago, technic_addict said:

Ha.  I wish we now had enough a lot of dark azure but unfortunately we don't.  Some pieces that come to mind, 2L lift arm, 2L joiner (axle or pin), any flex axle, pin n axle perpendicular.

If this set was medium blue there was enough medium blue to make something.  Now we don't have enough of dark azure or medium blue.  Hopefully 2H brings some more pieces.

The planned iconic car with @Lox Lego is shelved for now.

This makes me so sad....  Why Lego... Why another blue? :sadnew:

47 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I listed the parts in new color a couple of replies earlier

Sure but I'm talking about video. Typical user wants to watch the video and learn everything about the new set without reading additional posts. IMO :classic:

I think it's a pretty decent set. 

Then again, I also think that gearboxes add literally zero playability*, so make of that what you will.

*If they're used to power different functions, that's brilliant. If they're used to move the pistons at 6 separate barely distinguishable speeds, I'm not impressed.

It is a set made for playing, and for playing you need a car that can steer, has engine, drive, suspension and opening doors, hood :wink:

Edited by I_Igor

2 hours ago, mahjqa said:

Then again, I also think that gearboxes add literally zero playability*, so make of that what you will.

*If they're used to power different functions, that's brilliant. If they're used to move the pistons at 6 separate barely distinguishable speeds, I'm not impressed.

how do you feel about 42048? the gearbox there switches from 1:1 to 3:1

For people complaining about the functions of this set: what else did you expect? It has everything most Technic cars have except a gearbox?

And before you think of cars like those of Jeroen Ottens and the like: Lego isn't going to break the mold and add all sorts of cool rally features at this scale and price range.

I find this a pretty decent set and personally: I like how it looks visually.

7 hours ago, M_longer said:

Hmm, it seems that only few parts (like 24119, #17, #18 panels) are missing to built Dark Azure Porsche?

According to the list of kbalage, 24119 in dark azure is included in 42077:

11 hours ago, kbalage said:

@efferman - I didn't find any brand new pieces, I found the following ones in new colors:

black
Technic, Liftarm 5 x 7 Open Center Frame Thick

dark azure
Technic, Panel Fairing # 4 Small Smooth Long
Technic, Panel Fairing # 3 Small Smooth Long
Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 2 Pin Holes
Technic, Panel Curved 7 x 3 with 2 Pin Holes through Panel Surface
Technic, Panel Curved 11 x 3 with 2 Pin Holes through Panel Surface
Technic, Panel Curved 3 x 13
Technic, Panel Car Mudguard Arched 15 x 2 x 5

BTW, is there any 42077 inventory available, for example a picture of the BI's inventory page(s)?

Great photos, and a decent video. :thumbup:@kbalage Can you post a photo of the instruction page(s) with the inventory list?

This set has mediocre looks, the same lame functions done the same lame way, and another megablocking shade of blue!!! This is so stupid! The only blue I have so far is some med. blue panels, and then some med. azure from the drag racer... If I ever get this set, it'll be at a deep discount for use as a parts pack mostly for those black 5x7 frames!

Anyone want to do the math and see if 42039 can be built with dark azure instead of bright green?

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki

I forgot to mention in my last post but... Thanks a lot for a great video, kbalage, and for sharing the 42077 info! :thumbup:

Really looking forward to more about 42078!

1 hour ago, Appie said:

For people complaining about the functions of this set: what else did you expect? It has everything most Technic cars have except a gearbox?

I expected nothing after seeing the pictures, but I certainly would have hoped or wished for more. Except "everything most Technic cars have" it would be cool to have something that "few Technic cars have". Could have been anything. Suspension travel adjustment, for example, like 8297 had, would be cool. Anything would be good. Even something silly like 42050's wheelie thing that disgusted AFOLs is better than nothing (in my opinion). 42039 has two additional functions + motorization option, 8070 has 4 additional functions + default motorization. It may seem lame to some people, but to me it doubles the number of functions (since I only count a moving panel as a function if it has a mechanism. Technic, to me, is not about play sets, it's about build sets. For play we have 90% of the other themes. So I expect an interesting build, and mechanism make builds more interesting. Any mechanism can make a build more interesting to me. I just don't see any interesting build features in 42077, except the two suspension units and the linkage that opens the side panels when you raise the engine cover.

Or, turning the argument around: given that the set has only those 3 functions, I could have hoped for a smaller set. A smart mind once said somewhere on these forums "you should build as big as needed, but not bigger". I feel this set is bigger than the functions require. Evidence: 42037, which has the same functions. It's just that 1000 parts for {drive, steer, suspension} seems lackluster. 8069 has 7 functions for 600 parts, to throw in a comparison. And yeah, 42070 was ugly too, but at least it had an intricate motorized double gearbox that controlled 6 functions.

I don't really care (well, OK, I do, apparently :P), I'm not the target audience and I probably won't get the set anyway, and apparently there're many people who like the looks. I just feel it's not very "Technic'y". If it was labeled Racers, I wouldn't complain. It's perfectly fine as a Racers set.

16 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Or, turning the argument around: given that the set has only those 3 functions, I could have hoped for a smaller set. A smart mind once said somewhere on these forums "you should build as big as needed, but not bigger". I feel this set is bigger than the functions require. Evidence: 42037, which has the same functions. It's just that 1000 parts for {drive, steer, suspension} seems lackluster. 8069 has 7 functions for 600 parts, to throw in a comparison. And yeah, 42070 was ugly too, but at least it had an intricate motorized double gearbox that controlled 6 functions.

I totally agree, I think 42070 is still a good set, but too highly priced to be able. I would rather get another 42039 for $139 than get this, or at least something better. 

I also really like the hovercraft, anyone else?

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I expected nothing after seeing the pictures, but I certainly would have hoped or wished for more. Except "everything most Technic cars have" it would be cool to have something that "few Technic cars have". Could have been anything. Suspension travel adjustment, for example, like 8297 had, would be cool. Anything would be good. Even something silly like 42050's wheelie thing that disgusted AFOLs is better than nothing (in my opinion). 42039 has two additional functions + motorization option, 8070 has 4 additional functions + default motorization. It may seem lame to some people, but to me it doubles the number of functions (since I only count a moving panel as a function if it has a mechanism. Technic, to me, is not about play sets, it's about build sets. For play we have 90% of the other themes. So I expect an interesting build, and mechanism make builds more interesting. Any mechanism can make a build more interesting to me. I just don't see any interesting build features in 42077, except the two suspension units and the linkage that opens the side panels when you raise the engine cover.

I don't really care (well, OK, I do, apparently :P), I'm not the target audience and I probably won't get the set anyway, and apparently there're many people who like the looks. I just feel it's not very "Technic'y". If it was labeled Racers, I wouldn't complain. It's perfectly fine as a Racers set.

Thank you. i couldn't agree more.

I stil like this thing. it is pretty good another technic car set, especially to catch some new technic fans. It looks pretty catching.

What about B-model? It seems, that it is maybe more interesting.

22 hours ago, mahjqa said:

To me, the gearbox is the most important part of a car moc since it is the most complex part of a real car. There is nothing I enjoy more than seeing what kinds of new and interesting gearbox designs that people come up with. I think changing gears is more interesting that pressing down on a suspension. But of course, it's just my opinion. :sweet:

Having watched the video for this rally car, I find it even more underwhelming than I thought that it would be. It does have a lot of good parts though.

19 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Ok, I see. Stuff like suspension travel would have been nice on a car like this.

While I love a good build as much as the next guy, those are pretty rare in sets (I think I can count the sets with nifty mechanics on 1, maybe 2 hands over the past 5 years?) and play always comes into mind for Lego since it's a kids toy, even the Technic theme.

On 2017. 12. 17. at 7:44 PM, mahjqa said:

a gearbox adds zero playability yes, but adds a lot to the building experience.

12 hours ago, Lipko said:

a gearbox adds zero playability yes, but adds a lot to the building experience.

And adds a lot of gears. Comparing with 42039 (again), this set has significantly less gears, By the way, I'm about to finish the LDD version of this car, just a several hours...

For me, dissapointing thing is, that they used small steering wheel. This is too small. It seems also, that large would be too large. Lego have to make some mid sized steering wheel.

32 minutes ago, Jurss said:

For me, dissapointing thing is, that they used small steering wheel. This is too small. It seems also, that large would be too large. Lego have to make some mid sized steering wheel.

Exactly my thoughts... Rally cars may have a smaller steering wheel sometimes, but not too small...