Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB] Open Trestle Post Mill

One of the signature sights of the Weelond coast are the windmills built on a low grassy ridge, taking full advantage of the stiff breeze blowing in from the Sea of Storms. Here is one of those windmills, cleverly designated "Grist Mill #1" in the city ledgers..

01front.jpg

02side-back-e.jpg

Specifically, it is a post mill with an open trestle design.

04bracing.jpg

The grist mill grinds wheat into flour. It looks like several bags of flour are ready for delivery to the city market.

05cart.jpg

The wagon driver takes time to give his horse a treat.

07carrot.jpg

His assistant doesn't look too pleased to be loading all the bags of flour into the wagon himself.

10bags.jpg

Sheep commonly graze in the area, when they aren't grazing beneath the bastions of nearby Fort Weelond.

08sheep.jpg

The goat appears to prefer the wildflowers.

09goat.jpg

Some more pics:

Spoiler

02close.jpg

03side-back-closer.jpg

---

I finally found the time to do some building! :pir-grin: I wanted to try out the siding style Ayrlego used on one of his builds not too far back. There is a small gap at the top of the siding, and I had trouble with the hinges keeping the wall straight, but I'm happy with the result. I also wanted to represent the open trestle work realistically, and after a lot of experimentation, found something I'm very happy with. The sails turn, and the mill turns on the post as well.

As for the terrain, I wanted to get more of a slope effect. It's not quite how I pictured it when I started, but I believe I used 99% of all the green plates I own! :pir-oh:

The sheep roaming free is common for the time period; fences were used to keep the animals OUT of yards, not in. That was something I wanted to portray in a build, and this was a perfect opportunity.

As usual, all C&C welcome.

Nice mill. It's a good solid design, and I particularly like the siding and angled braces at ground level. The layered green plates give you a decent change in terrain and I like all the aminals. Where do the sheep come from? I didn't know they existed. It looks like the sails hang low enough to dismantle a minifig, if someone should get too close... My favorite part of the whole build is the circular path worn in the dirt around the mill. It looks perfect. :thumbup:

Edit: I see you have "sheep" and "goat" tagged. Rub it in, why doncha... :tongue:

Edited by Captain Dee

An extremely nice mill Capt Wolf. The siding indeed works well here but I too well remember the frustrations of working with it!! The track around the mill and landscape are very nice and I like the stairs on the wagon wheels for this part. The sheep roaming the fields gives the whole thing a nice touch.

5 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Where do the sheep come from? I didn't know they existed.

I believe they are from Brickforge, although it appears they have either been discontinued or are out of stock atm. Now I wish I got some when I had the chance....! As for the goats.... one day Lego will re-release them surely?!?!?

Beautiful mill and scenery, CW. Glad you could find building time :classic:

Your 99% green plates have been well invested. Great that the whole thing 'works'. Oh, and I also really like those pathways.

Fantastic build! I love the siding, and the dug in ground with the wheels is a fantastic attention to detail. This is a fantastic addition to your settlement.

Where'd you get the sheep? They aren't lego made, at least as far as I can tell. 

Very nice build! I see some interesting techniques here, and the trestle design is great.

Great work achieving the circle of dirt around the mill!  The mill itself looks very good also! :thumbup: 

I'm envious of your build.  The rut in the ground was a great detail to add.  I have to admit that green door seemed off to me (the colour not the brick...it matches the grass exactly and it threw my eye off for second), but everything else is pretty much perfect.

Were it not for the fact most of my 2x cheese wedges are black and don't photograph well, I might of taken up the challenge and tried my hand at Ayrlego's siding myself.  It looks like a fun puzzle to solve.

Oh that's a lovely mill!

The woodwork works really well, the stilts look great as well.

Not sure if most people remember windmills actually have to rotate to gets the best winds, but you did it spot on!

Thanks to everyone for the comments and feedback! Much appreciated!

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:35 PM, Captain Dee said:

Nice mill. It's a good solid design, and I particularly like the siding and angled braces at ground level. The layered green plates give you a decent change in terrain and I like all the aminals. Where do the sheep come from? I didn't know they existed. It looks like the sails hang low enough to dismantle a minifig, if someone should get too close... My favorite part of the whole build is the circular path worn in the dirt around the mill. It looks perfect. :thumbup:

Thanks. The circular path was a key part of the build.

I see you have "sheep" and "goat" tagged. Rub it in, why doncha... :tongue:

Hey, if you got 'em, flaunt 'em. :pir-grin:

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:58 AM, Ayrlego said:

An extremely nice mill Capt Wolf. The siding indeed works well here but I too well remember the frustrations of working with it!! The track around the mill and landscape are very nice and I like the stairs on the wagon wheels for this part. The sheep roaming the fields gives the whole thing a nice touch.

Thanks. Which build was it of yours that used the siding technique? I want to link to the diagram you linked to on yours.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:58 AM, Ayrlego said:

Where do the sheep come from? I didn't know they existed.

I believe they are from Brickforge, although it appears they have either been discontinued or are out of stock atm. Now I wish I got some when I had the chance....! As for the goats.... one day Lego will re-release them surely?!?!?

Yes, the sheep are from Brickforge. I did not realize they have been discontinued. That's too bad. nd we all hold out hope for more goats from Lego!

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:59 AM, Kolonialbeamter said:

Beautiful mill and scenery, CW. Glad you could find building time :classic:

Your 99% green plates have been well invested. Great that the whole thing 'works'. Oh, and I also really like those pathways.

Thank you!

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, Spud The Viking said:

Lovely build! I love the wooden stilts/supports and the minifigure expressions, great build all round!

Thanks. I put a lot of work into the support structure.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Wow this one is really cute, and the figs fit especially well...

Thanks. I'm glad the minifigs worked for the scene.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, Mesabi said:

Fantastic build! I love the siding, and the dug in ground with the wheels is a fantastic attention to detail. This is a fantastic addition to your settlement.

Where'd you get the sheep? They aren't lego made, at least as far as I can tell.

Thanks. The siding was the start of this project. See above re the sheep.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:43 AM, Bodi said:

Very nice build! I see some interesting techniques here, and the trestle design is great.

Thanks. Using the siding technique was the main reason I started this build, and I'm really happy with the trestle.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:42 AM, Kai NRG said:

Great work achieving the circle of dirt around the mill!  The mill itself looks very good also!

Thanks. The worn circle really does do a lot for the build.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 12:34 PM, Kwatchi said:

I'm envious of your build.  The rut in the ground was a great detail to add.  I have to admit that green door seemed off to me (the colour not the brick...it matches the grass exactly and it threw my eye off for second), but everything else is pretty much perfect.

Thanks. And I had the same concern about the door, and almost changed it out for a brown one. I'm actually working on a second mill with a roiundhouse base, and it has the brown door.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 12:34 PM, Kwatchi said:

Were it not for the fact most of my 2x cheese wedges are black and don't photograph well, I might of taken up the challenge and tried my hand at Ayrlego's siding myself.  It looks like a fun puzzle to solve.

The siding is tiles on overlapping plates, not cheese slopes. The only cheese slopes I used are at the base to fill the gap.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, Puvel said:

Oh that's a lovely mill!

The woodwork works really well, the stilts look great as well.

Not sure if most people remember windmills actually have to rotate to gets the best winds, but you did it spot on!

Thanks! And I always make sure that my windmills can turn to face the wind. :pir-grin:

Why do we still speak about the mill when the man has SHEEP and GOAT in his build!?!?! :wub: Hehehe!

Awesome build btw and the ground is nice too!

7 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Thanks. Which build was it of yours that used the siding technique? I want to link to the diagram you linked to on yours.

and the diagram I linked to was this one:

13945836505_784bf2e903.jpg

Panel oblique, for facade by Werner, on Flickr

On 07/11/2017 at 5:34 AM, Kwatchi said:

They are actually tiles! See above ^

Great looking mill, Capt Wolf! I really like the landscaping and that worn path for the support wheels - I believe we have seen a mill or two that didn't turn in the past. :pir-wink: The base with the triangular supports is very well done, and the use of cheese slopes makes it look as if it might actually be structurally sound too! :pir-grin:

Also, GMTA. :pir-grin: