Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, NOD said:

Your attitude pleases me. :pir-classic: I did not see this rule. In my experience, building at eurobricks is equivalent to real Leogs and digital. The building skills are different but we can see a photo of both at the end.

 

It had something to do with part/colour availability, stability/physics and such, I think I read it at one of the challenge things, but it made sense to me. As originally my ship had many parts that turned out very expensive to source, like a few clips in reddish brown were like 3.5 EUR/piece, so had to drop them. And some other pieces, like the long bars turned out to be 2-5 EUR a piece (depending on colour) so had to swap them for lots of small ones put directly after each other.
And regarding stability... Well... When I designed the ship digitally, it looked and seemed stable, needless to say, I had to redesign the inside like 3 times in order to actually get it to be stable :laugh_hard:.

Plus, you can do really funky things, like my checkpoint built I had the seagulls and such flying over, no way that would have been possible with fysical bricks ^^.
But digital also has some downsides, like plants and greebling which you want to place more randomly, and you actually have to rotate and spend a long time on getting that right digitally, were as with physical bricks it's very easy!

So yeah, overall design/construction are definitely equal in terms of visuals! In those cases it really doesn't matter wether or not something has been digital or physical, it's just the layer below it that is quite different between the two options! :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2021 at 7:01 PM, Justsomebrix said:

If you look closely you'll see I made the lower ones larger then the two upper decks. However as I wanted to have them all brickbuilt I understand it can be hard to notice.

canon test

I can definetly make a third even smaller canon for the upper deck though

Im going to echo what's already been said ... Heavy guns on the bottom and lighter as you go up.  I love the mid deck guns and the lower deck as they look convincing.  The upper deck look too heavy however.  The rest of the ship is looking great ... However the hardest parts (at least for me) are always the bow and aft lol. Excited to see this develop

On 11/5/2021 at 7:21 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Still needs a little work, but I'm quite happy with how it is turning out. Thank you for the help!

51658139449_86b9c3989b_b.jpg20211105_190804 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

51657470146_29029f7551_b.jpg20211105_190821 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

51657470091_c425173e3c_b.jpg20211105_190831 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

 

And just for fun here is what I started with to what I ended up with:

  Hide contents

 

Massive improvement ... I would love to see her more curvy in the middle but overall it's looking nice

On 2/17/2022 at 12:38 PM, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks I'll be able to finally call my first ship, which carries the name " L'Aurelié " done!

The rigging is finished  to a level I'm content with. Sadly no sails as she's positioned right below my AC unit (which is up against the wall behind her), which is powerful enough to have blown away loose bricks when building her in the first place 😅.

She's a 44-cannon heavy frigate. Her armament consists of 28x 28 pounders, and 16x 18 pounders, of which 2 in aft and 2 in fore chase configuration. Overall she's 108cm long as shown by the measuring tape.

I'm just waiting for the few custom printed bricks and custom flags to arrive before I take better pictures (this one is terrible, I know) and officially post her. Have yet to figure out how I'll pay for the license... But I'll find a way.

Hoping to be able to license her as a Class 8, based on her size and armament, taking into account she was brick-built rather than just a digital concept either. If the court approves, of course!

And then, I can finally make my characters story start, after having signed up almost a year ago... 

20220217_182114.jpg

All those strings! Man she looks great!

Did you post her somewhere with more pictures yet ... Sorry I've been absent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Roadmonkeytj Thank you, I shortened the upper deck cannons significantly and started on the bow and aft... and yeah, you're totally right, it is by far the most complicated parts :pir-murder:

Ship of the line WIPShip of the line WIPShip of the line WIPShip of the line WIP

 

I wanted to post a little update for you guys. So I made the ship a little bit longer and expanded the width as well. I also started the interior, by adding things such as stairs, a kitchen/furnace and a capstan.

I am really loving how the ship is developing, but I have to admit I am really struggling with the cabin.

As always, all tips and criticism are welcome.

Edited by Justsomebrix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So

I am trying to build my first bigger ship. Nothing fancy, basically just playing with possibilities. My two questions:

how do you build up from hull pieces? I did not found any corresponding bow ones, am I missing somethig or all lego set are building it from scratch?

BrickLink - Part 2557c04 : LEGO Boat, Hull Large Bow 12 x 16 x 5 1/3, Top Color Dark Gray [Boat] - BrickLink Reference Catalog

 

and second: does onybody found out some satisfactory method how to build latten sails in stud.io? Square sails are easy but if someone has a tip how to make triangle sail with some volume in it I am all ears! Generally I am not happy with the whole front/bow but for first ship I think I can live with taht and try to improve on the next one.

 

lod2-08-44-30-Copy-3.png

Edited by omnihash_cz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is always a challenge to build up from the bow pieces, regardless of whether you use both, or just the bottom one. I don't think I have a fixed approach, and always end up with some combinations of slopes, hinges, and rounded pieces. Never really found the golden bullet, but I guess that is part of the fun. That said, I think you have found a pretty neat solution in your ship here! She is looking nice!

For future vessels, particularly large ships like this, you could consider sheer, which is the curve from bow to stern, that you will see on most shops, most pronounced on older types like galleons. That may also make it easier to integrate the cabin more into the hull. (You have a bit of the box-on-hull look that official Lego ships also have)

Looking forward to following her progress and see the final result!

@Justsomebrix she is looking damned sexy, man! Excellent sheer, tumblehome and overall shape, and some nice details on deck too. I generally find myself, in physical bricks, witha a similar building process, ending up with a bow and stern that needs figuring out and building after so much else is ready! Best I can say is, fail it till you nail it! Experiment, learn, pick apart, and try again, until you are happy. Never be afraid to redesign, particularly not when you can save several iterations and always restore former versions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bregir said:

 

@Justsomebrix she is looking damned sexy, man! Excellent sheer, tumblehome and overall shape, and some nice details on deck too. I generally find myself, in physical bricks, witha a similar building process, ending up with a bow and stern that needs figuring out and building after so much else is ready! Best I can say is, fail it till you nail it! Experiment, learn, pick apart, and try again, until you are happy. Never be afraid to redesign, particularly not when you can save several iterations and always restore former versions!

Thank you, it meens a lot ! Sadly I haven't made much progress since I posted the last update (I've been focusing more on properties to progress my story) but I really like the ship and hope to finish her this summer. I'm sure she would be very useful against the Monomonto Atakebunes in the war against the Lotii :pir-wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bregir said:

It is always a challenge to build up from the bow pieces, regardless of whether you use both, or just the bottom one. I don't think I have a fixed approach, and always end up with some combinations of slopes, hinges, and rounded pieces. Never really found the golden bullet, but I guess that is part of the fun. That said, I think you have found a pretty neat solution in your ship here! She is looking nice!

For future vessels, particularly large ships like this, you could consider sheer, which is the curve from bow to stern, that you will see on most shops, most pronounced on older types like galleons. That may also make it easier to integrate the cabin more into the hull. (You have a bit of the box-on-hull look that official Lego ships also have)

Looking forward to following her progress and see the final result!

Huh, thanks for the sheer, dully noted. I am aware of my cube-ish look and I'll try to tackle it  although I am opting definitely more for lego look than photorealistic models.

Soo..  what's the state-of-art lego hull now? Building it completely from scratch via hinges and snots? I have to admit that's little above my current skills. I can work with layers but these completely organic shapes are out of my league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, omnihash_cz said:

I have to admit that's little above my current skills. I can work with layers but these completely organic shapes are out of my league. 

I understand brick-built hulls may seem daunting, but I think they are not as tricky as you might think (and the shape and result will definitely be worth the effort)!

My recent ship had a brick-built hull and I am by no means an expert at shipbuilding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, omnihash_cz said:

Soo..  what's the state-of-art lego hull now? Building it completely from scratch via hinges and snots? I have to admit that's little above my current skills. I can work with layers but these completely organic shapes are out of my league.  

I have built both, and believe I will continue to do so going forward. They each have their strengths and challenges, and I don't personally rank one over the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.