Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[COR-FB] The Rover Privateer

The Rover privateer

The Rover privateer has recently arrived to Terra Nova, its origin unknown. Its commander is known only as "The Gentleman Privateer", and easily recognisable by his bowler and rapier. The only hint as to his origins is his distinct high-class Corlander accent and his noble manners.

45444989001_1e8aa9d8fb_c.jpg

The cutter itself is swift and manoeuvrable, and well suited to snap up unsuspecting merchant shipping in the rich sea lanes of Terra Nova. It is manned by a hardened crew of buccaneers, and armed with 6 heavy carronades, and will be a match for most smaller traders, while being able to outrun most patrolling warships.

44529915505_aef5179875_c.jpg

Only time will show what mischief the Gentleman Privateer and his bunch of Buccaneers is up to.

44529915685_b7a0e4dea0_c.jpg

Thanks for watching - this was a fun little build I made for the quick start guide, and I figured it was worth trying out the black flag mechanics. C&C is as always welcome - more pictures can be found in my flickr. :)

Woot, more black flags! :grin:  Now that mine all went down here... :pir-laugh:

Nicely done, Breg; I like the darker colorscheme and the overhanging stern and lantern particularly! :thumbup:  I kind of wish you'd gone for black string with the other darker colors, but other than that I can't find much to nitpick at here! 

I really like the rigging on this (wish for black string as well).  Any chance we could get a how to instructions for the way you rigged this? 

Nice little boat, it has some interesting building techniques, and an elaborate rigging, nice job.

On 10/20/2018 at 10:36 PM, Garmadon said:

Woot, more black flags! :grin:  Now that mine all went down here... :pir-laugh:

Nicely done, Breg; I like the darker colorscheme and the overhanging stern and lantern particularly! :thumbup:  I kind of wish you'd gone for black string with the other darker colors, but other than that I can't find much to nitpick at here! 

I am hoping for a happier outcome for mine, though! (And I think the rover will be less ambitious with its projects, though... )

Thanks! :)

It was fun to try to get a nice hullshape at this scale, and I like these colours too. I feel like black string might have disappeared in the dark coloured hull, though. (Aaaaand, I had a bit of white string lying around.... ;) )

On 10/21/2018 at 12:11 AM, Ross Fisher said:

Bowler hat, weird accent, sharp weapons. I think I know the guy:

thumb_11868_film_film_293x397.jpeg

I fear I do not know the reference here :)

On 10/21/2018 at 8:30 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

I really like the rigging on this (wish for black string as well).  Any chance we could get a how to instructions for the way you rigged this? 

Thanks.

Hmm, I can try to see what I can do.

I find that the technic bushing tied to one end of a string, with the other end of the loop secured by the short axle, is a good solution, as it allows me to tighten each string in turn. (And adjust later) Each side of shrouds consist of just one continuous piece of string. I don't know if the picture below helps in any way. And maybe I am not explaining the part you are really interested in... :P

30561173827_f6f5a69850_c.jpg

On 10/21/2018 at 9:18 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

So many ropes ...I like it! :wub:

Very nice design ...my only criticism is the presence of the modern tire on the side! :hmpf_bad:

Thank you! And the captain is "the Gentleman Privateer", so those ties represent fenders to make the process of running up alongside the enemy a smooth and painless experience! ;)

On 10/21/2018 at 12:04 PM, Fraunces said:

Funny ship and look forward to the adventures

Thanks - so do I! ;)

On 10/21/2018 at 3:52 PM, Bodi said:

Nice little boat, it has some interesting building techniques, and an elaborate rigging, nice job.

Thanks Bodi - I quite like workign at different scales - and a vessel like this can be a one day job, unlike a ship of the line, or so... ;)

On 10/22/2018 at 2:15 PM, Bregir said:

I find that the technic bushing tied to one end of a string, with the other end of the loop secured by the short axle, is a good solution, as it allows me to tighten each string in turn. (And adjust later) Each side of shrouds consist of just one continuous piece of string. I don't know if the picture below helps in any way. And maybe I am not explaining the part you are really interested in... :P

30561173827_f6f5a69850_c.jpg

<Edited in photo from other post>

Rover privateer

So in this pic is the loose end just brought back up to the plate clamps after you tighten it? 

Do you tie the original string to the bushing or just clamp it in the bushing when you start stringing? 

Just now, Roadmonkeytj said:

So in this pic is the loose end just brought back up to the plate clamps after you tighten it? 

Yep - the plates do not actually hold anything.

Just now, Roadmonkeytj said:

Do you tie the original string to the bushing or just clamp it in the bushing when you start stringing? 

One end is tied around the bushing to being with. The other end is only connected by the tecnic axle holding it in place.

Clear? :)

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

Yep - the plates do not actually hold anything.

One end is tied around the bushing to being with. The other end is only connected by the tecnic axle holding it in place.

Clear? :)

Very appreciative...  Thank you!