So you will switch the orange parts for yellow... Well I'll remove them :grin:. They make the model messy. As Allan state the problem there, is the proportion. Also I don't understand why the cab window is covered with those black bars. BTW, those are minor issues.

That is meant to be a FOPS guard,but like the handrail it is out of proportion.

I would of used solid hose to make the hand rails and FOPS guard.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

That is meant to be a ROPS guard,but like the handrail it is out of proportion.

I would of used solid hose to make the hand rails and ROPS guard.

Humm I see. But looking at the original model, the cab doesn't have such guard (at least in that visible way as the Lego model)

OFF. Since my native language is not English, it was quite disturbing search "ROPS" in Google :wacko:

Thanks for the pics effe! I know the first mod I'll be doing (after motorising the compressor, as was said to be possible with the pf upgrade), will be to change that grab to a standard bucket. Should be easy enough with the new long cylinders.

Any idea what the scale of the model is roughly? Will it fit in with the arocs or with the previous volvo loader?

I think it's almost in scale, or at least close enough for most people to not notice. Although, the guard on the cab is something that would typically be on a demolition or scrap hauling variant of the machine, and not on a roadworks version with a clamshell. That guard is actually more along the lines of FOPS, Falling Object Protection System, and not ROPS, which is Roll Over Protection System. Most demolition excavators have guards like this on their cabs as well, in order to prevent any objects from penetrating the glass and injuring the operator. I'm still kind of disappointed by this set, I feel that with the real machine to go off of, they could have pushed it much farther, like having a 3 section arm, rotating bucket, outriggers that aren't just levers, etc. Also, the b model is rather boring, and they could have used the mini pneumatic cylinder to actuate the grab. I see the part count as being way off, this thing has 650-700 pieces at most. I just hope it isn't overpriced.

So you will switch the orange parts for yellow... Well I'll remove them :grin:. They make the model messy. As Allan state the problem there, is the proportion. Also I don't understand why the cab window is covered with those black bars. BTW, those are minor issues.

Well and I dont understand why you and others firstly didnt found photo of original vehicle, with same configuration and cabin.You realize that these "minor issues" are in reality very realistic details offc in best form that can technic archieve.

http://bouwmachinewe...g?itok=A9B17aSx

Edited by Ondra

I hate hearing complaints about minor things like this, if you want something detailed, buy a die cast model, if you want to buy Lego don't expect detail or functions they can't achieve.

I hate hearing complaints about minor things like this, if you want something detailed, buy a die cast model, if you want to buy Lego don't expect detail or functions they can't achieve.

????? I don't see how this has anything to do with the discussions we've been having. But yes, it is kind of ridiculous that people are wondering why some of the handrails on the set are orange, when there are any number of pictures showing that they correspond to the real machine. I was just pointing out that while the cab guard is a feature on the real machine, but is an odd feature for the arm configuration of the set. Also, I'm just lamenting the fact that 8455 had about 400 fewer pieces and had more functions. I'm just idly wondering about why Lego decided to go for the simplest version of the machine, when they could have taken it much farther.

I don't know if i like or hate the machine.

What i know is that i will buy this set and that there are some changes i will made.

We have to remember that it is a set with a license of Volvo.

If they want it to be in this price range and this amount of parts then Lego has to make something to fit those remants.

I even think that Volvo is paying Lego to make this set look like a Volvo.

I think it's almost in scale, or at least close enough for most people to not notice. Although, the guard on the cab is something that would typically be on a demolition or scrap hauling variant of the machine, and not on a roadworks version with a clamshell. That guard is actually more along the lines of FOPS, Falling Object Protection System, and not ROPS, which is Roll Over Protection System.

Sorry,yes FOPS is what I meant to say not ROPS ,Its a bad sign when a operator forgets the difference. :blush:

I think the Lego version is based on a material handler variant so the clam shell grab and the cab raising would tie in.

Well and I dont understand why you and others firstly didnt found photo of original vehicle, with same configuration and cabin.You realize that these "minor issues" are in reality very realistic details offc in best form that can technic archieve.

http://bouwmachinewe...g?itok=A9B17aSx

Thanks for the pic. I understand what you say, especially when the model is based on a 'scrap hauling' machine. But looking at the current scale, TLG could have used another variant of the machine in order to make it "cleaner" and also more functional as others have stated . I said that those are "minor issues" in terms of appearance but of course that is not a big deal or a fail. It's not about details or realistic looking. It's just about appearance.

Anyway the set is a great concept and has a great potential to improve it

I think they choose grabber is because is more fun to play with, also cabin can be elevate.

The grabber makes this set less desirable to me, because I already have a grabber from the Arocs.

Yes obviously they didnt think this through, the ultimate EW160 version would had been the 2-stage boom setup with a regular bucket - that had required an extra switch, and also we would had enough cylinders for a pneumatic controlled grip on the alternate wheel loader.

Edited by GoldVillage

why they put ©2015 we are in 2016 !

I think it's because they make the model on 2015 and will release on 2016.

Edited by KamalMYafi

I have just realized that it uses two of these 2743.gif in black for the end of the first half of the boom arm.

I was under the impression that this part was retired.

I have just realized that it uses two of these 2743.gif in black for the end of the first half of the boom arm.

I was under the impression that this part was retired.

Lego never retire a part, but some do seem to go into hibernation for a long time before someone finds a new use for it.

Lego never retire a part

What ? There are thousands of parts retired since Lego exist. Look at the old bricks, old gears (pre-Technic era), or the old fingered hinges, for example.

The information on BrickLink says this specific part has been used since 1988 up to 2014. It's only about 2 years since it was last used then.

The information on BrickLink says this specific part has been used since 1988 up to 2014. It's only about 2 years since it was last used then.

That's for all colours. Particularly in black last time it was released was in 2000.