Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

So the "Ultimate IP Car" is listed as-is on the Lego website? I would have expected the page on the website to be updated with the actual name of the car the set is based on, if it is to be licensed. Obviously Lego could still update this page once further details are made public.

Edited by Jay Psi

lets continue http://shop.lego.com/en-US/mine-loader-42049 ;)

First info about 1H and probably 2H technic sets!Source CM4Sci

Updated with photos of real vehicles, not resemble actual sets or sets from preliminary pictures!

42052 Heavy Lift Helicopter

476715main_ALHAT_air_crane_672.jpg

Really?! I was expecting something more like this

1552914.jpg

Really?! I was expecting something more like this

I was thinking of chinook but, there is already twin rotor helicopter in technic portfolio and skycrane never was.Also there is city set with same name and it is chinook in police colours.

Now Im happy, list is confirmed :) .

So the "Ultimate IP Car" is listed as-is on the Lego website? I would have expected the page on the website to be updated with the actual name of the car the set is based on, if it is to be licensed.

"Ultimate IP Car" = Porsche 919 ?

I am pretty sure IP does not stand for "Intellectual property". It stands for "Improved Production" car. So think about cars that are production made but modified for racing :)

There are many cars that have limited production just to fill this qualification. If it is "Ultimate" I believe it will be one of those or some awesome Japanese Tuner like NISMO or Amuse, but that is far fetched I think. Still lots to choose from but narrowing the list down quite a bit.

Edited by LegoCube

i am expecting that lego create a big recovery off road truck, something like 42043 scale, but designed for off road, with bigger wheels and functions, something like the 8110, i hope they create it, however it may be a bit difficult.

I am pretty sure IP does not stand for "Intellectual property". It stands for "Improved Production" car. So think about cars that are production made but modified for racing :)

There are many cars that have limited production just to fill this qualification. If it is "Ultimate" I believe it will be one of those or some awesome Japanese Tuner like NISMO or Amuse, but that is far fetched I think. Still lots to choose from but narrowing the list down quite a bit.

I'm not sure I agree, but even if I did why would Lego go to the lengths of making a set based on a tuned/modified/race-prepared car but then not credit the car they based the set on? The "IP = Improved Production" doesn't make much sense to me as a generic set (i.e. like 42039, which took inspiration from various LMPs but didn't resemble any one car in particular) because there needs to be a strong visual link to the base production car. But if this set does heavily resemble a single production car then it's going to need a license and therefore would be named after this car instead of apparently being sold as an "Ultimate IP Car," if we are to believe the website listing.

For what it's worth I don't think IP stands for either Intellectual Property or Improved Production. But I don't have any alternatives of my own :sceptic:

Edited by Jay Psi

Edit: I am thinking Nissan GT-R or maybe RX8... Some tuned production car anyway. Me happy :sweet:

How cool would lego rotary engine be in the RX-8! No rotor, no motor!

Considering that the licensed Volvo and Xerion already have the brand in the set names, I think it's safe to say that the Ultimate IP car is not a licensed model. 2016 is getting more absurd: the supposed flagship is not a licensed model, while the non-flagship sets are... I wouldn't be surprised if the Volvo and Xerion boxes even have flaps.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

Perhaps "Ultimate IP" is the name of a new fictiv brand as "Octan".

Wow, I didn't even think of that. IMO this is the most plausible explanation yet.

Quite possible. Australia has an "Improved Production" racing car class that supports the popular V8 Super Car class. The IP class is for modified production cars.

The freedictionary.com has a whole list of possible meanings for "IP." Some are quite interesting when thinking in terms of Lego.

I really thought the IP was a translation issue until that link was found. My find was based on actual thread named "Ultimate IP car". Just google it with the hyphens. Some powerracing thread from 2009 (warning I got some nasty popups from that forum this second time) :sceptic:

I never heard that term used and the term Touring Car might have been better internationally...

I agree totally it is a weird official name for a set...

Edit: Of course it is just a hunch and the IP could stand for anything, even imagined by LEGO like Greg pointed out...

Edited by LegoCube

"Improved Production" makes sense, it will be just a non branded generic car then, with spoilers and lots of stickers.

I want MB G 500 4x42 black offroad version for the IP car, and if it's going to be a flagship with higher part count, make it RC 4WD, suspension, and probably motorized door and bonnet opening.

"Improved Production" makes sense, it will be just a non branded generic car then, with spoilers and lots of stickers.

I would be happy with that. Hopefully it would be very moddable so anyone could make their own "ultimate" mod :blush:

That open bottom cargo helicopter would be pretty interesting...

It would also go a long way towards reducing the number of panels in the set.

Which would be awful.

So it's probably correct.

Edited by rollermonkey

I want MB G 500 4x42 black offroad version for the IP car, and if it's going to be a flagship with higher part count, make it RC 4WD, suspension, and probably motorized door and bonnet opening.

As someone who has only recently gotten into Technic, this got me thinking. Is there a reason Lego stopped making the RC sets and motors? Do we know that Lego won't be making them again, or is it possible for new Technic sets to have the RC motor? I'd love it if 2016 included a set with the RC motor.

In case I'm not using clear wording, I am talking about the RC buggy motor that runs much quicker than the power functions motors currently available, and is expensive for a Technic beginner like me to get a hold of... :cry_sad:

Also powered by Octan :-D .

Then wouldn't it be LP for Lego Motorsports? Also, I don't really see Lego doing a non liscensed supercar, in this day and age. And if they did, it would be called something like Ultimate Supercar.

Then wouldn't it be LP for Lego Motorsports? Also, I don't really see Lego doing a non liscensed supercar, in this day and age. And if they did, it would be called something like Ultimate Supercar.

8070 isnt that long ago is it? And after 42000 and 42039 covering the biggest racing specific cars, a new supercar/sportscar seems quite likely, they could do a DTM car or something, but considering those are all coupes these days, that gets pretty close to generic supercar territory

I would not be surprised, whether the Ultimate IP car would be approximately the same size as the Hot-rod (42022)... But I would be slightly disappointed, as (I guess), all of you.

I would not be surprised, whether the Ultimate IP car would be approximately the same size as the Hot-rod (42022)... But I would be slightly disappointed, as (I guess), all of you.

Id be disappointed, but if its a decent looking set and they at least work in a dif (seriously, 42022 with one wheel drive..), it should be a decent base for some modding