SkaForHire

Challenge IV, Category C explained. RULES THREAD

@Milo that's a fair point. I am definitely one of the relative pacifists here anyway so I have thought about this. If I side with the Council, I will be doing guerilla bribery and subterfuge rather than attacks.

I'm signing up for the Ulanders! Great work with this, Ska, it seems like there will be a lot of fun and action, I can't wait to see how it all turns out! :wink:

As I see it, the High Council is indeed neutral in the war between Desert King and Ulandus. But as they are both a threat to the High Council, the High Council has to fight battles to restore the Kaliphlin we used to know a few months back :)

Well, this is a rather tough decision. While Ageven is a loyal member of the High Council, he does not see why the Ulandians should be excluded - so far at least, their claims have been quite fair and worth at least a bit more consideration. Plus, Ageven has to consider what will be best for his town, which is in no shape to handle an attack after the recent earthquakes! And I rather think the Ulandians will be more fun. :grin:

So mark me green!

When does Challenge C start? (Hopefully not until the end of March as the MOCathalon will be sucking up my time during that month!)

I'm not quite sure however that I completely understand how this works; did I get it right that you can build up to four builds a week? (One personal challenge, one counter-personal, then two for the two squares that are up for grabs that week - which means of course that the next week you won't have to do those.) Whew, that's a lot of building! What I'm concerned about is that some people will make rather quickly hashed, low quality entries and scoop up a lot of points which won't matter a whole lot as to which side wins (since if I got that right it's all voting) but will matter when it comes to who actually wins category C (again, if I understood correctly). Is there some way to maybe make it necessary for at least two thumbsup from a select group of say three people (who comment frequently & are fairly good builders) - something like the DoH system but a little easier? (For a build from one of those three, obviously the other two would have to thumbsup.)

And it would probably be a good idea for each team to have their own PM thread, rather than a thread on the forum to avoid clutter (and protect secrecy... :grin: ).

The City Council of Barqa will stay loyal to the council! At least as long as it is good for trade.

OOC: If for balance reasons the council support is way too strong, I could shift my support to the side of the Desert King. Either by using a secondary character in this challenge, or by having Gideon convincing the City Council of Barqa that a strong leader is what Kaliphlin needs again.

I'm with Kai on the concerns that the incentives seems to favor building lots of rushed low-quality builds vs the high-quality builds with good photography/presentation that usually makes many of our challenge entries stand out in the AFOL community.

Having a PM thread for each team seems like a good idea.

This is amazing, and I really can't wait to get started! :sweet:

It seems I do not have shield, but I will try to sneak that under the radar... :sceptic: How does one qualify?

The Trifork is right on the border with Faction one, which I assume is the High Council? I hope to be signed up for that side, but if that is not possible, I will make up a new character for this challenge.

Good job, all!

You will be able to sign up on March 1st, the early signup was just a perk for long time members. Just pick Council as your first choice, and I will try to put you on that side.

One question I have though--and it may have already been covered--but it seems to me like the Council faction wishes to be neutral. Why then would they be fighting in battles against the other two factions? Why would they be doing guerilla attacks?

The last of the preludes are not up yet, but you will see soon that they will no longer style themselves the neutralists after an incident.

When does Challenge C start? (Hopefully not until the end of March as the MOCathalon will be sucking up my time during that month!)

I'm not quite sure however that I completely understand how this works; did I get it right that you can build up to four builds a week? (One personal challenge, one counter-personal, then two for the two squares that are up for grabs that week - which means of course that the next week you won't have to do those.) Whew, that's a lot of building! What I'm concerned about is that some people will make rather quickly hashed, low quality entries and scoop up a lot of points which won't matter a whole lot as to which side wins (since if I got that right it's all voting) but will matter when it comes to who actually wins category C (again, if I understood correctly). Is there some way to maybe make it necessary for at least two thumbsup from a select group of say three people (who comment frequently & are fairly good builders) - something like the DoH system but a little easier? (For a build from one of those three, obviously the other two would have to thumbsup.)

And it would probably be a good idea for each team to have their own PM thread, rather than a thread on the forum to avoid clutter (and protect secrecy... :grin: ).

This is why I posted the pre registration, for comments like this. I think you are right, maybe we do need a bit of quality control, and I think a democratic approach is probably best (sorry, I don't want to be the person that goes through and says, sorry your build sucks!) I think we can add the two thumbs up clause to the final rules. Yes, technically, one could make four builds a week (and have a lesser amount of builds to do the next week). I imagined that March would be hot, April would slow down, and then May would be extremely busy again, but I am sure there will be a few people here that actually build the max amount of builds. I think the counter builds may have to change a little. Maybe 4 points to the best build, and 2 points for anyone else who makes the effort (and gets two thumbs up.

March 1st is the scheduled start. I am sorry that it overlaps with other stuff. I am out of the loop with other Lego sites at the moment... Mocathon, CC, LOR, I have no idea what contests are going.

I personally can't make a PM thread, but I will see what the others with more powers can do.

Oh and to Gideon's point, although I did not include photography in the judging requirements, I felt that people may naturally take that into consideration.

Oh and to Gideon's point, although I did not include photography in the judging requirements, I felt that people may naturally take that into consideration.

Ok. My point was not primarily about photography, since this contest is of course not a photography contest. What I'm thinking however is that the judging should consider the presentation of the MOC (which should include a clean or digitally removed background, not a lot of furniture, random lego etc in the background at least). That does not require an expensive camera and a fancy lighting setup.

The last of the preludes are not up yet, but you will see soon that they will no longer style themselves the neutralists after an incident.

OK, good to know. I was hoping this was the case.

Ruadh itself will remain neutral in the conflict. However, a few of the younger, more restless Minotaurs will be active in guerilla actions. Thus far, they are heeding the advice of their elders, waiting to get more intelligence before choosing a side.

Lord Vladivus of Shadowmere would like to declare for the Desert King, although he would urge his many friends on the High Council to not forget their alliances during these troubling times. Shadowmere wishes to see Kaliphlin and Historica with a stable government. The Ulandians need to acknowledge that their conduct towards Nocturnus is unacceptable. For Nocturnus!

Edited by Lord Vladivus

After some turbulent times (building wise) Nar'Bilu and his son Bran will choose Ulandus... troops are up and running

Lord Vladivus of Shadowmere would like to declare for the Desert King, although he would urge his many friends on the High Council to not forget their alliances during these troubling times. Shadowmere wishes to see Kaliphlin and Historica with a stable government. The Ulandians need to acknowledge that their conduct towards Nocturnus is acceptable. For Nocturnus!

Do you mean "unacceptable"? :wink:

Hmm... the mountain mummies don't seem to be a huge hit so I suppose I shall join that side.

The Ulandians' harsh trade measures would surely result in war with Nocturnus anyways. The High Council doesn't seem the most sound choice either - it's indecisiveness will end only when it is too late and all of Kaliphlin has become a battlefield. A strong Kaliphlin needs a strong ruler, one like the Desert King.

I'll support the High Council faction, but I'm definitely planning on mostly battling the Desert King's mummies!

There has been an amazing amount of work put into this (both story- and gameplay-wise)! I'm looking forward to contributing when I can and seeing how this all plays out. I think my character would choose to fight for the side that has best dealt with the Drow ->

Nimueh declares for the Desert King :devil: .

Oh, wow, whom to choose? I've got a lot of mummies, so the Desert King is tempting, and the Ulandans don't seem that bad, maybe they can have a few seats on the council. Gex is probably going to stick with the High Council since he's on it. But, Ska, if you need someone to fill out one of the other factions, feel free to put me in one of them, and I'll use one of my other characters. Lord Zertanex for example will happily support whomever pays him the most or promises him the most land.

Ok I will keep that in mind. The official sign up opens tomorrow, so I will put you on a team then.

My Mitgardian characters are.. busy at the moment. I will possibly be using the Yukar tribe which has settled near Queenscross (and will support whoever Petera MacLean is supporting).

Also, what are you guys using to make these gorgeous maps?

I know which Mummy will have a Goblin army at his disposal...

Edited by blufiji

Also, what are you guys using to make these gorgeous maps?

GIMP, but you can also use PhotoShop. If you search mapmaking on EB, there are a few threads on it, and if you google 'fantasy mapmaking', you'll find tons of tutorials and help.

In the Kaliphlin thread, NM's map tutorial is linked.

Petera MacLean is currently a hold out. He is a fourth column, you could say. But he would probably support the council, as he would find the Desert King a rival, and the Ulandians a hindrance to trade -- especially as they hold the Serpent's Crawl currently.