mccoyed

Book 2: Challenge 3: Category C: The Dwarfapault

This is my Category C build for the Dwarves. As per the Challenge, this is a series of discrete builds telling one story, all about a special Dwarven siege engine used against the evil Drow.

Part 1: Bregir's Workshop

15972482737_f15e079af7_z.jpg

Unlike most dwarves, leading engineer Bregir Breakwall appreciates the fresh air. His workshop is carved into a section of mountainside where the rock is thin and a dwarf can get a view. He is working with his new assistant, a Southron dwarf named Tuval.

15970929750_cf94d07dc6_z.jpg

"Tuval, this makes no sense. These catapults are too big!" Bregir complained.

"Master, they have to be. The walls of surface castles are many feet thick. I know you underground dwarves are accustomed to shooting at armies, but up above armies tend to hide behind stone walls."

"Ridiculous," Bregir spat.

"Yes master, but if the Drow insist on adapting to surface conditions in warfare, so must we dwarves!"

15970803838_d7f2aacc71_z.jpg

"What do you have there, lad?"

"This scroll is from the University of Petraeus and discusses wind conditions and drag on projectiles," Tuval explained. "And the the other one is your lunch order from two days ago, master... do you want the same thing?"

"Yes, yes. I always have an entire roast duck when I'm working on a new project. Don't forget the gravy!"

Part 2: Inspiration

16158245765_0161cac6d0_z.jpg

A short time later, Bregir and Tuval were passing the Berserker Training Pits where the toughest, craziest dwarves fought each other all day long.

"I say, Tuval... this gives me an idea!" Bregir exlaimed. "Quick, write this down!"

Tuval noted the intricate, brutal looking armor of the Berserkers.

"It may not work against stone walls and nonsense of that sort, but I still think it's worth trying..." Bregir mused.

Not liking where this was headed at all, Tuval reluctantly drew a parchment and quill.

Part 3: Test Run

15538496593_7ff18b18c0_z.jpg

Dwarves typically preferred to test their ideas in the field. With only the time required to build a prototype and assemble a raiding party, Bregir and Tuval made the trip to the front to test out the Dwarfapault.

"But we're supposed to come up with something that is useful against stone walls," Tuval said, gesturing to the black palisade protecting the Drow encampment before them.

"Pish-posh, Tuval my boy. This is more fun! Now keep that shield up, eh? There's a good lad."

16132454446_d4f4b29f55_z.jpg

The Berserkers were perhaps more enthusiastic than even Bregir.

16158245135_1a4212d35f_z.jpg

They are, after all, diplomats at heart.

15535897824_6cb13033a1_z.jpg

Dwarves are fairly widely known as habitual isolationists, after all.

16158245615_b491a70cba_z.jpg

The Berserkers agreed with Bregir that it was important to break down barriers and stretch your comfort zone.

Tuval just wanted to go home.

Hilarious dialogue. Awesome Drow tent. Great action pose with the dwarf vs. palisade. Fantastic micro castle and micro siege engines.

Great work all over! :thumbup:

Ha, ha, excellent builds and story Mccoyed, maybe my favorite few builds from you yet! :laugh::iamded_lol:

I especially like the micro-castle in the first build and the catapult in the last one (the second one is so good I can't pick out a best detail!)

The hilarious story really makes this entry though! :laugh_hard::roflmao:

Edited by Garmadon

Wow, awesome entry! I love the idea of catapulting some insane dwarves towards the enemy! Also the story is pretty hillarious, nice work!

Hahaha, I've just peed myself, this is just way too funny ... Really love your humor but the minifigs and the dwarven buildnings are awesome too. Good to see how Mitgardia is getting better and better!

:laugh: The humor in your story is great, as are the builds! I particularly like the second one. Simplistic, but it gets the image across very well!

This is genius :laugh: Who would dare stand against dwarven berserkers hurled from a catapult?

Every scene is excellent but my favorite parts are: the mini castle and catapults in the first build, the pillars in the second, and the finished catapult in the third :wub:

Hilarious dialogue. Awesome Drow tent. Great action pose with the dwarf vs. palisade. Fantastic micro castle and micro siege engines.

Great work all over! :thumbup:

Thanks! Sounds like I hit all my targets haha.

Ha, ha, excellent builds and story Mccoyed, maybe my favorite few builds from you yet! :laugh::iamded_lol:

I especially like the micro-castle in the first build and the catapult in the last one (the second one is so good I can't pick out a best detail!)

The hilarious story really makes this entry though! :laugh_hard::roflmao:

Thanks, Garmadon!

Great entry!

Thanks!

I love Bregir's workshop.

And I could not believe that they would "toss" a dwarf berserker

Excellent :laugh::thumbup: !

Some dwarves like to be tossed. It takes all kinds!

Wow, awesome entry! I love the idea of catapulting some insane dwarves towards the enemy! Also the story is pretty hillarious, nice work!

Bregir also liked this idea. Tuval not so much. The Berserkers later claimed to have thought of it first.

Hahaha, I've just peed myself, this is just way too funny ... Really love your humor but the minifigs and the dwarven buildnings are awesome too. Good to see how Mitgardia is getting better and better!

Funnier and funnier too. Haha.

:laugh: The humor in your story is great, as are the builds! I particularly like the second one. Simplistic, but it gets the image across very well!

Thanks Kai. That second one was one of those rare times I felt like I'd nailed it with the first photo.

This is genius :laugh: Who would dare stand against dwarven berserkers hurled from a catapult?

Every scene is excellent but my favorite parts are: the mini castle and catapults in the first build, the pillars in the second, and the finished catapult in the third :wub:

I'm not sure how effective the dwarfapault really is. I mean, just look at those Drow... they ain't happy!

Haha, great story and mocs! I like the big catapult shooting dwarfs! Well done mate!

Great builds and hilarious story, mccoyed!

I like Bregir's workshop with models and other items! The Dwarfapault is a great idea for a humorous story and is well-built and well-demonstrated! The dwarf crashing through the palisade is an excellent touch. This does indeed make an interesting addition to Mitgardia!

Haha, great story and mocs! I like the big catapult shooting dwarfs! Well done mate!

Thanks DG!

Great builds and hilarious story, mccoyed!

I like Bregir's workshop with models and other items! The Dwarfapault is a great idea for a humorous story and is well-built and well-demonstrated! The dwarf crashing through the palisade is an excellent touch. This does indeed make an interesting addition to Mitgardia!

Thanks Sleg! I'm pretty sure Bregir is planning on introducing this "weapon" to dwarven clans across Mitgardia. Tuval keeps encouraging him to add a notice saying "do not try at home".

Hahaha this is awesome! Hilariously awesome, the story is fantastic, and wonderful builds to accompany them. :) Well done!

Very nice builds, and I'm loving the humor it has! I also really like the tent design!

Hahaha this is awesome! Hilariously awesome, the story is fantastic, and wonderful builds to accompany them. :) Well done!

Thanks mpoh!

Very nice builds, and I'm loving the humor it has! I also really like the tent design!

I'm so dang proud of that tent. Thanks, Ecc!

Wow great entry Evan, love the humor and idea here! I wondered why dwarves have such hard heads!

I'm really liking those interior scenes, and like others mentioned, brilliant work on that tent. The fifth picture in particular is a great shot of the tent, looks like a really evil face. The whole Drow camp looks really forbidding. The wargame-scale castle in the first build is great too. Over all, another great build from you and a lot of details to enjoy, including the story. Awesome entry sir!

Great tent! The story is very funny :)

Thanks!

Wow great entry Evan, love the humor and idea here! I wondered why dwarves have such hard heads!

I'm really liking those interior scenes, and like others mentioned, brilliant work on that tent. The fifth picture in particular is a great shot of the tent, looks like a really evil face. The whole Drow camp looks really forbidding. The wargame-scale castle in the first build is great too. Over all, another great build from you and a lot of details to enjoy, including the story. Awesome entry sir!

Thanks, Patrick. Now that you mention it, I can see that face!

Awesome builds and dialogue, I love it! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Goliath.

Nice little build!

Thanks!

Strong characterizations, nice microbuilds, cool catapult, and of course, genius concept!

Haha thanks SarahJoy. I wonder if we'll see more of Tuval and Bregir...