Sign in to follow this  

Not to sound presumptuous, but at times I feel I've seen all there is to see in the Technic line-up, and everything seems to be variations/repeats of old sets/concepts. What I'm trying to say is that the Technic Theme is becoming slowly 'boring'. Of course, and in all fairness, there is another very likely possibility: my advancing years are catching up on me and I'm slowly moving away from 'how things work' to 'how beautiful they are'. Many people, after a successful career, turn to painting and other 'artsy' hobbies. I have several years (double digit) before retirement but again, I find myself exploring other things one can do with Lego. A recent visit to the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago got me thinking about Lego Architecture though, the TLG official 'Architecture' et is 'boring' too ... few shapes but totally mono-chromatic/white. Take a look at the tan building below. Though many of the parts are NOT available (see my 'missing slopes' thread in the general discussion), it is certainly a beauty that would easily rival with the GTB Fiorano 8145.

All this prelude/introduction to ask this: Now that you've seen many of what Technic can offer, what is the next step for you?

- Big images removed -

dsc_0884ss.jpg

dsc_0875ss.jpg

SIze reduced by 33%, as requested.

Edited by DrJB
Removed big images. Please reupload them in allowed size.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd like to see some realistic 'fantasy' sets (eg anti-grav racers, futuristic cars, maybe mechs) alongside the usual replicas of real-life vehicles.

I don't just build Technic, I also build Modular buildings and Winter Village that I update each year and in the Fall I have a large Halloween display that I also update each year.

My LEGO year goes something like this... 

January thru August mainly Technic with some side builds in other themes that catch my interest. Modular buildings and maybe some Sci Fi-ish things

September and October I work for on my Halloween display

November and December I work on my Winter Village display.  Then in January I start all over again.

For me Technic satisfies a mechanical/scientific need I have and the other themes satisfy my artistic needs.

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

3 hours ago, heyitsdisty said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd like to see some realistic 'fantasy' sets (eg anti-grav racers, futuristic cars, maybe mechs) alongside the usual replicas of real-life vehicles.

Totally agree. I think lego should make a tank, would totally buy it.

Off topic, the anti gravity vehicle is on my list.

23 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

I think lego should make a tank, would totally buy it.

Only in case of a water tank :wink:  TLG doesn't produce any military stuff, it's their rule.

I do a lot more than "just" Lego/Technic. I have a ton of technical hobbies, from building/modifying electronics, Building/modifying/playing RC, restoring/modifying cars (real cars that is), playing/modding computer games, and of course building Lego Technic and MOCs.

I often find myself viewing the Technic line as a bit backwards. There is no real innovation in how the steering angles are set up, how the gearboxes work, etc. But there always comes something that peeks my interest, like the 8275 Bulldozer that introduced PF remote systems, the 8110 Unimog that held so much promise and reintroduced Pneumatics (for me), the 42009 Mobile crane that finally let me have a large scale mobile crane model as I missed the famous 8421 mobile crane, the 42030 front loader that was the first wheeled full RC construction machine; the 42043 Arocs that was an amazing mix of stuff i wanted in a Technic model, and finally the 42056 Porsche. Common for them all is that in the end they disappoint, always falling just short of my hopes an expectations, like: 8275 - not using LA's to move the blade, and generally being a bit simplistic; 8110 - Having a terrible steering solution with completely wrong angles on the front axle and the portal hubs causing the turning point to be way to long from the wheel; 42009 - Not having any kind of suspension and the boom being a bit simple; 42030 - using a servo rather than small LA for steering; 42056 - Flawed gearbox and no real steering angles. The exception being the 42043 which is hands down the best set ever in my opinion. 

But don't misunderstand me, they are all great sets in their own right, and they are great sets to modify and improve, so they have a great value as inspiration. It's just that they could have been so much more...

For me this is not a real problem. I mostly use them as sources for ideas and parts, and I have other hobbies for when I get bored with the limitations. There are however a few things I would like Lego to fix:

- Build a super car with real steering angles, 4 WD and new hubs that gives the wheels a realistic turning point.

- Make a new buggy and micro motor.

- Make a longer and stronger LA, as this is often a limitation.

- Make PF pneumatic valves.

- Make Remote control with true relative control (analog control)

The other things I wanted have gradually become a reality, and that is what makes me always come back to Technic, like; LA, longer pneumatic cylinders, PF motors, Remote control, new track system, etc.

And even if I grow real tired with the slow evolution of Technic it is still great for testing concepts that are hard to simulate... 

To answer the OP: Yes, I feel the  Technic platform is stagnating, but they renew it just enough to keep it interesting, so I'll still be here for a while.

-ED-

Interesting, I am thinking similart to you.

I only joined this forum recently, bored one day. Most of my lego is from before 1992 so lots of studded and limited ability to make clutches for gearboxes and other mechanisms. I ahve since been given some studless lego and there are some great parts in it, but I also have difficulty utilising them, I learnt with studded lego and so that is how my mind knows and did learn how to fit it all together.

It does seem to me that most people build copies of supercars and amazingly get in quite a lot of functions, and that is what they are interested in, thats cool, but for me, I am more interested in building something functional but not nessicarily stylish - like a car chassis but with no body shell.

I recently built a cable car that has a hoist to lift a mug from the floor, to the gondala, travel the length of my house and then could lower the mug. It was a but rought and ready and didn't really look like a cable car, but i got in there the fucntions that I wanted and it accomplished.

I see many people asking for the drawings / plans / LDD for somebody elses creation because they want to build it themselves. NO! look, study, think, research and build your own variation on that item! Copying somebody elses build wont make you a better builder, just make you good at copying somebody elses work. oh, and people say that they need to buy parts for a particular thing or cant build it because they dont have a particular item.

The thread about the trench digger / canal cutter thing is FANTASTIC. A proper original idea with some great challenges - how to empty the buckets in a proper way. That is hard work, requires thinking, logic and research.

Think out side the norm. There are quite a few cranes, including a tower crane. Has anybody built a tower crane that includes the climbing frame so that it insert sections in its own tower? See if you can build that with the parts that you have.

2 hours ago, Hay Ewe said:

I see many people asking for the drawings / plans / LDD for somebody elses creation because want to build it themselves. NO! look, study, think, research and build your own variation on that item! Copying somebody elses build wont make you a better builder, just make you good at copying somebody elses work. oh, and people say that they need to buy parts for a particular thing or cant build it because they dont have a particular item.

The thread about the trench digger / canal cutter thing is FANTASTIC. A proper original idea with some great challenges - how to empty the buckets in a proper way. That is hard work, requires thinking, logic and research.

Think out side the norm. There are quite a few cranes, including a tower crane. Has anybody built a tower crane that includes the climbing frame so that it insert sections in its own tower? See if you can build that with the parts that you have.

That is why I build my own stuff. No offense to anyone.

Edited 8 hours ago by Milan 
Removed big images. Please reupload them in allowed size.

Remind me again please, what is the MAX image size? Those images somehow look ok on my monitor (27" ASUS). In fact, what I posted was reduced from the original size.

There is this saying: If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.

Some people stick to what Lego provides (i.e. "go together"), while others have no qualm integrating Lego with 3rd party components to achieve what pure Lego cannot achieve (i.e. "go fast"). First group focus more on innovating using existing parts, while the 2nd group take on the challenge of seamlessly integrating native and non native parts.

And between these extremes, there is very wide spectrum of choices available (e.g. 3rd party components that are already Lego-compatible).

So I'm of the opinion that whatever Lego comes up with should not affect our desire to create and/or model - we are instead setting our own limitations - how fast/far do we want to go?

When the technic theme started 40 years ago, it was all about vehicles. 40 years later, it's still about vehicles. Maybe some variety would help. The only departure I can think of was the electric plotter (Technic COntrol Center 1) ... from many years ago.

8094-1.jpg?0

As to non-conventional vehicles, there were few Star-Wars/Technic sets: Those used ingenious mechanisms and pushed Technic beyond the typical 4-wheeled vehicle.

9748-1.jpg?0    9754-1.jpg?0 8002-1.png

I think one of the limiting factors for creating models of real vehicles would be licensing them. There are lots of other unique vehicles that Lego could produce, but it's like the BWE set, some kids don't even know what a BWE is. Given that Lego focuses its advertisements  to younger generations, more licensed sets would have to be very special/popular to gain enough recognition to be profitable. As it appears most individuals interested in Technic are also interested in construction equipment, or supercars. The smaller niche builders that specialize in more unique subjects often thus composing a smaller portion of the mainstream interest in Technic models. As mentioned above there are many other subjects that TLG could venture into for models, though they may not be profitable enough due to a lack in potential interest by fans. 

From this I don't think we should expect Lego to deviate from their current course of releasing models. Their current method of marketing appears to be very profitable, and venturing out to different lines could be financially unproven. Thus I guess this is where different builders fill in for what Lego can't do. I personally like seeing some topics untouched by Lego's influence. Given the example of all the different lines of Lego in the early 2000's and with some of our more wanted pieces, like the RC motor, and micro motor being used in sets during that time. Lego expanded to many product lines, and eventually put itself in a financially unstable position.

4 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

I mean a collector edition tank from the military. Just like what @Tommy Styrvoky makes.

My choice for replicating military vehicles is a rather uncharted for larger scaled models, thus giving me freedom to explore new complex mechanisms that are unique to this genre of vehicles. Also give the state of political correctness in the world I support Lego's decision to not produce models of this style, even though I wish It would happen, though it could be potentially very harmful to the company because of a few upset parents and some misleading news stories leading to more problems causing sales to drop for Lego.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

This is why I'm into GBC's..

I get a mix of both worlds..

I love the technical challenge

I love building my own mechanisms

I also enjoy copying others (sometimes it's nice to just follow instructions, and not problem solve all the time)

and lately, I've been getting into 'theming' the GBC's.. so they aren't just a bare mechanism...   so I get to go back to good 'ol' system bricks, and be creative

btw.. max size is 800x600... which IMHO, COULD be revised these days.. I know it's nice to cater for those in the world, still on dial-up, and download quotas... but 1200w pixels wouldn't be too bad

3 minutes ago, RohanBeckett said:

btw.. max size is 800x600... which IMHO, COULD be revised these days.. I know it's nice to cater for those in the world, still on dial-up, and download quotas... but 1200w pixels wouldn't be too bad

Isn't it up to 1024? as I have used that in my posts without any issue.

22 minutes ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

My choice for replicating military vehicles is a rather uncharted for larger scaled models, thus giving me freedom to explore new complex mechanisms that are unique to this genre of vehicles. Also give the state of political correctness in the world I support Lego's decision to not produce models of this style, even though I wish It would happen, though it could be potentially very harmful to the company because of a few upset parents and some misleading news stories leading to more problems causing sales to drop for Lego.

i see the problem with that, but they could market it as a adult only set.

As far as I am aware TLG's ban on making military sets has nothing to do with marketing or political correctness but everything to do with the conviction that children playing and war should not be mixed. Personally I sympathize with that notion and I too see the combination as problematic. To market sets to adults instead may be something some companies would do, but it is a cop-out, because if they would do that those sets would still be bought for children. I think TLG deserve a lot of kudos for sticking to their convictions instead of going for the easy money that is to be had with making military sets. It's a rare thing these days to see a big corporation choosing ideals over money.  

As for stereotypical Technic sets that TLG produces. I am afraid that does have a lot to do with marketing. I think they are just aware that there is a limited group of sets that sell well. Most of which are either tracked or wheeled vehicles. But the individual builder isn't limited by that at all. Every year I see LEGO Technic creations that blow my mind and inspire me. As long as that happens, LEGO Technic won't be boring for me. 

28 minutes ago, Kelkschiz said:

As far as I am aware TLG's ban on making military sets has nothing to do with marketing or political correctness but everything to do with the conviction that children playing and war should not be mixed. Personally I sympathize with that notion and I too see the combination as problematic. To market sets to adults instead may be something some companies would do, but it is a cop-out, because if they would do that those sets would still be bought for children. I think TLG deserve a lot of kudos for sticking to their convictions instead of going for the easy money that is to be had with making military sets. It's a rare thing these days to see a big corporation choosing ideals over money.  

As for stereotypical Technic sets that TLG produces. I am afraid that does have a lot to do with marketing. I think they are just aware that there is a limited group of sets that sell well. Most of which are either tracked or wheeled vehicles. But the individual builder isn't limited by that at all. Every year I see LEGO Technic creations that blow my mind and inspire me. As long as that happens, LEGO Technic won't be boring for me. 

Yes, Lego's neutral stance on war is very important. I for one respect their stance on the issue, and for Lego to stick to it in this day in age makes them a real gem! JMT

LMF

5 hours ago, DrJB said:

Remind me again please, what is the MAX image size?

Max allowed image size is 1,024 x 768, as per site Guidelines.

5 hours ago, DrJB said:

In fact, what I posted was reduced from the original size.

It is reduced visually, to fit to screen, but images still need to be fully loaded in original size (yours was 1800x1400) by EB site.

4 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

It is upped to 1,024 x 768 for some time.

More futuristic sets would be nice, I am getting bored of seeing just another boring motorcycle or an overpriced licensed set. I would love to see more sets of 00's style .

Also , color vomit must get extinct, it ruins the monochromatic chassis looks. I haven't seen LBG bushes in sets in a very long time what makes me angry because I don't use those red bushes at all

Edited by LXF

8 hours ago, DrJB said:

As to non-conventional vehicles, there were few Star-Wars/Technic sets: Those used ingenious mechanisms and pushed Technic beyond the typical 4-wheeled vehicle.

I might the the minority, but those kind of sets are symptomatic for "malaise era" when Lego nearly went bankrupt. I would point at this kind of sets and say this might by also why. most of 00's were rubbish in Technic.

I am glad Technic found its direction and got back to its roots with new possibilities of studless and doing what they are doing now. Because it is good now IMO, never better IMO. 

And there is enough pages of StarWars in Lego cataloque already, IMO. Fair enough, wide fan base, popular, but I can't see any reasons to spread it in Technic also.

There are for sure Technic sets that repeats, but I would not label it as bad thing by default. Personally I would like to see another big advanced excavator (I do not have 8043) in future. 

I like vehicles, machines (not so much supercars (boring IMO) - "licenced supercar every other year" as pinnacle of Technic does nothing for me).

LEGO is doing new stuff, mining is new. I wish there would be Technic train, more (mainly better) ships, I like flying machines.

Anyway long story short, IMO, LEGO is going right direction with Technic, last 5-3years there were excellent offers. 

Edited by J_C

It's coincident that this topic comes up, I was thinking something similar lately. I was thinking, everything I want to build, has already been built by others, better. I know everyone builds for their own satisfaction, but I like bringing something new to the table, and is is getting harder as more and more awesome stuff is built. (Although I have found something interesting lately that I'm trying to build now)

Another problem is that there are so many things to build. I have a folder on my pc called "inspiration" that contains pictures of cool things I want to build. Problem: I can't choose :) Also I usually lack the patience to build and rebuild the same model until it's perfect. That's why I like the competitions on here so much, they really help me focus on really doing my best on one single model, instead of losing interest and starting on something else before the first thing is finished. The result is sub-par models.

Also, the studless system is now quite fully understood by builders. Around 2002 when the studless was still new, we all had to learn a new system. Now, some of us have so much experience that we can almost build anything we want. There's so much quality here on the forums that it's sometimes depressing ;)

And yes, I would love to see Technic do more varied vehicles. Although they're already doing that a bit. See the BMW motorcycle (B model), the reach stacker, the ocean explorer and race jet, all this year; the hydroplane and funny car last year, and the arctic truck and LMP in 2015. I hope this is continued.

I think there is beauty in the mechanical. The way a real life car gearbox works with two parallel drive shafts and many sizes of gears all arranged next to each other is a thing of mechanical beauty. The way a lego technic gearbox works is a mechanical abomination. I think to keep an interest in Technic requires that steady progress towards mechanical beauty and authenticity.

I have been doing technic moc's for about ten years now and I'm still not bored with it. I find that the possibilities are endless although I think I have built my last supercar!!