WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71008 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 13

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 13   

189 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 13?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you enjoy the special interview coverage with the TLG CMFs Design Team?

4. 4. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for Series 13?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it

Another solid review and I really appreciated the interview with the Creative Lead of the design team. It's always fun and interesting hearing where their inspiration comes from. I'm really excited for this series. I would hope eventually we will get a Canadian Mountie mini-figure. :wub:

Edited by Wodanis

Excellent review! Do you think you could give us a picture of the back of the Egyptian shield? It looks like it would fit well for a knight if printed over and flipped upside down!

Hello Sean13114,

I have just taken two new images based on your request, hope it will be of use. I will also update it into the reviewing content.

15934023951_49e1651650_o_d.jpg

15748550048_12f1e329f2_o_d.jpg

WhiteFang

Ah, Yes, I was right about the shield... I am guessing that this will be the new mold for all of the standard Medieval shields for knights in Castle sets, replacing the older style, with that awkward pistol style grip. This will be a lot better for posability and playability.

Plus, someone got the clever idea to flip it upside-down to make it work as an Ancient Egyptian style shield... Bravo!

Go Lego!! =D

Thx whitefang for the excellent review as always.

I like some of the figs.

But the most that annoys me is the distribution of the Hot Dog Guy, only 3 of the??? Come on Lego does everything needs to be rare and highly sought after to yield an enormous aftermarket price?

Thx whitefang for the excellent review as always.

I like some of the figs.

But the most that annoys me is the distribution of the Hot Dog Guy, only 3 of the??? Come on Lego does everything needs to be rare and highly sought after to yield an enormous aftermarket price?

I think it's good there is a smaller number of the hot dog guys. He is not really an army builder (although I'm sure someone will build an army) and he is easy to feel for.

Changing the standard shield would be quite the change after all these decades. But they have done it with the horse. I would welcome this as a new shield because it is bigger.

Changing the standard shield would be quite the change after all these decades. But they have done it with the horse. I would welcome this as a new shield because it is bigger.

They also have changed the standard sword. Not a lot, but still a completely new mold. I personally can't wait for new castle factions with the new shield. Fingers crossed that the heraldry will be good. (Better than Castle 2013).

From the looks of this the ones I want are the galaxy trooper, alien trooper, and carpenter. :classic:

On an unrelated note, is it just me or is the shape of the alien trooper's head piece similar to the shape of the head of the lobster guy's head from Futurama? :sceptic:

These are wonderful, thanks!

I love the in depth review and the photos are always fun. The interview was a nice bonus. As for the character distribution, I would have preferred less of the King and the Space Warrior, and more of Samurai girl and the Fencer. Are they the same for every box?

Well, I think it is alright for the Hot Dog Guy to remain as '3', but ideally it could be best if it can be '4'. Either way, I suspect Unicorn Girl, Samurai and Hot Dog Guy will be popular but these are not classified as army builders minifigures except for Samurai. It also means people will have less tendency to amass 100 each. It can be kind of scary though. TLG did an excellent job to place the Goblin and Galaxy Trooper as '5' which probably help to diffuse lots of competitions.

You guys seem to be 'on' to something. It didn't occur such possibility before but it might just be the new shield design in the future. We won't know until we see the new medieval theme.

Are they the same for every box?

Based on past experiences and by others, the distributions for a sealed mint box is the same.

Hello White Fang, would you mind posting a UPC number please?

In my review, I have took an image of the back view of the Series 13 packet. Will this helps?

Link to image

Well, I think it is alright for the Hot Dog Guy to remain as '3', but ideally it could be best if it can be '4'. Either way, I suspect Unicorn Girl, Samurai and Hot Dog Guy will be popular but these are not classified as army builders minifigures except for Samurai. It also means people will have less tendency to amass 100 each. It can be kind of scary though. TLG did an excellent job to place the Goblin and Galaxy Trooper as '5' which probably help to diffuse lots of competitions.

I wholeheartedly agree with the Galaxy Trooper and Goblin. I feel like Lego did an overall great job with their distribution this time around. Even having 5 Carpenters is great because there are more of those printed wooden planks and handsaws available. The more niche-interest characters like the Fencer, Paleontologist and Disco Diva are suitable at 3 per box, though I feel many people would like to have two Fencers so they can duel.

The only two I would switch is the Samurai and Snake Charmer. The Snake Charmer feels a little more niche, and the cobra is a little too detailed for me to get more than one. Also, I feel there should be at least one lady with a distribution greater than 3, so why not the one considered the most suitable for army building?

Edited by telaruhn

On an unrelated note, is it just me or is the shape of the alien trooper's head piece similar to the shape of the head of the lobster guy's head from Futurama? :sceptic:

You're thinking of Zoidberg, and many have already mentioned that... to me, it doesn't look much like him. Some postulated a Futurama CMF series given this head, but Zoidberg doesn't have the prominent cheekbones our little Alien Trooper has, and the eyes are all wrong for a Simpsons/Futurama style. He's a great alien for any Lego space-type setting including Star Wars, but requires more than a coat of paint to be a decent Zoidberg.

Where can I buy a full box set?

Check out the S13 rumors and discussion thread.

Some members post reports about where the minifigures are already available.

Edited by Robert8

Thank you very much for this great review, WhiteFang! :classic:

In contrast to the majority I find this series only average - imo not many outstanding minifigs there.

The top three are definately:

1. Egypt Warrior

2. Classic King

3. Carpenter

It's bad that we'll have to wait til fall for the next regular series (series 14 since Simpsons don't count).

Klaus-Dieter

You're thinking of Zoidberg, and many have already mentioned that... to me, it doesn't look much like him. Some postulated a Futurama CMF series given this head, but Zoidberg doesn't have the prominent cheekbones our little Alien Trooper has, and the eyes are all wrong for a Simpsons/Futurama style. He's a great alien for any Lego space-type setting including Star Wars, but requires more than a coat of paint to be a decent Zoidberg.

Agreed.

Simpsons are very accurate to the show characters. That would make a very questionable Zoidberg.

Excellent review! :classic::thumbup:

For those residing in Singapore, there is already pre-order for Series 13 in a local store. Not sure if i'm able to reveal the name here due to any restrictions and i'm not affiliated to them in any ways. The catch is, its already out of stock on the same day they open up to pre-order. (Within hours i believe)

Some new 2015 sets are available though. :wink:

Edited by BlackVagrant

The review is great, I am always referring to WhiteFang's reviews before I start buying a new minifig series!

The series is also a very good one. Let's see what we can combine based on these new minifigs.

What I also like this time is that there is no need to buy e.g. 20 of a certain figure (other example: I wanted to have many many Roman Soldiers, many many Independence War Soldiers, etc.)

This will make the collecting more relaxed.

What I also like this time is that there is no need to buy e.g. 20 of a certain figure (other example: I wanted to have many many Roman Soldiers, many many Independence War Soldiers, etc.)

This will make the collecting more relaxed.

Speak for yourself! :classic:

We have Egyptian Queen, the Pharaoh, mummies.... we need a legion of Egyptian warriors to protect them!

Speak for yourself! :classic:

We have Egyptian Queen, the Pharaoh, mummies.... we need a legion of Egyptian warriors to protect them!

Ok, I got six right now :laugh:

Are you going for 20?

How do people display their minifigure series? I am new to collecting and almost have a complete series 13

Many threads, many great ideas:

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=56557

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=50685

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=85340

Please don't just look at the first posts - those threads have many great ideas spread throughout.

My latest (bad phone) picture:

16000598590_7b0cd09c59_n.jpg

cmf_display by FredJH, on Flickr

Better, but much older:

7951968936_5424282f9b_n.jpg

DSCF1553 by FredJH, on Flickr

Ok, I got six right now :laugh:

Are you going for 20?

No... but more than I have of any figures for a while. With one for my display, one to save sealed for posterity, I'm looking at getting at least six more, if not 12+... but not 20.

Edited by fred67