Hello everyone,

Here is my Menck Cable Bucket Excavator for the Mini contest. The part count is 198.

14709026292_b2e754d673_b.jpg

14587851820_35b2448a30_b.jpg

14772203074_5140d99d02_b.jpg

14587846070_b1ea7e440a_b.jpg

14772205544_baa0bf02a2_b.jpg

14587869008_437729a6f5_b.jpg

14751505676_4646a9dbf1_b.jpg

14587806420_ce321b145b_b.jpg

Promo Image

14771345601_f7bc2e51b5_b.jpg

Parts Image

14588193268_2eeb851e76_b.jpg

<Original Post>

Hello everyone,

Here is my WIP Menck Cable Bucket Excavator for the Mini contest.

So far part count is 202, but there are plenty of places I can save on like pins with axles in their place.

I started this project yesterday by searching dock cranes, but spelt it d#ck cranes in Google by mistake, LOL.(dont do that)

This eventually led me to HO scale cranes and I saw this beauty. I then researched Menck and discovered they were the first to make a shovel excavator with cables, and unfortunately went bankrupt when hydraulics became more popular in the 70's.

A bit like Kodak then......

Anyways here is my version in Technic.

It features a fully functional arm just like the real thing and rotating body with tracks for movement.

I still need to do some minor improvements to the design, especially trying to work out a nice relationship between the extending and lifting of the arm utilizing the clutch gears to resist the urge of gravity.

Of course you can still just slide the 8T red gears and have complete manual control of the arm, which proves to be very very fun and challenging!

I was very surprised at the range of motion the arm has, and never thought it would be so good, I guess that's why these cable excavator design lasted 70 odd years! Tho I should note the bucket I used isn't the right shape for this excavator, but its as close as you can get in 1 piece.

Any questions please ask. Cheers.

Edited by Doc_Brown

I like this more than my own entry. The looks, the functions, grouping of controls, it's very brilliant.

I think the right expression to this model is "refreshing". Great color, nice overal look, many nice and out-of-the-box-idea-functions (the red sliding gears to combine or separate the movement of the arm)

I don't think it will win though, but that's only because of the aimed target by TLG. It's too complicated for those kids. As an AFOL, I'd buy it in a breeze.

Easily the most impressive entry so far :thumbup: :thumbup: , though I personally don't see TLG selling a set like this :sceptic:

The looks, colours and complexity of the mechanisms is truly remarkable, that you managed this in just one day just make it even more so! :classic:

Brilliant model, my only critique is that I feel that you should use the 12t bevel gears rather than the axle connectors for all the functions

This is hugely impressive. The cool blue look combined with the well-designed functionality make this an awesome model. Good job!

What can I say ... well played sir. Might need to reconsider my entry :classic: .

I was wondering what part that liftarm is with only holes at the ends, don't recognise that piece.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

A very nice topic with perfect combination of function and aesthetics. The best entry so far IMO. :thumbup: :thumbup:

WOW, thank you so much for the amazing feedback guys!!!

Sorry for the late replies, but I have the flu now.

Great JOB mate! Will there be an instruction or LDD file available?

Thanks, it will be qued on the LDD to-do-list. :grin:

Brilliant model, my only critique is that I feel that you should use the 12t bevel gears rather than the axle connectors for all the functions

Thanks for your critique, I appreciate that. A few reasons why I went with axle connectors are, there are no 11 long axles and thu 12t would be next to the body making it harder to turn and thus would require 3 more bushes, 2nd they sorta look like exhausts, 3rd you can put ur finger in-between 2 axles whist you turn the 3rd for full manual control. :laugh:

You are a real master DOC :thumbup::wub: .

So many functions, good looking.

In one word.

SuperB.

Thank you so much! :thumbup::wub:

Cheers guys on all the great feedback, I feel its going to be a really good competition, with some awesome awesome entries! :grin:

The vator becomes more beautiful every time I look at it. The usage of the two blue panels but also because of the great looking blue links instead of beams makes this model really stand out.

I still keep my opinion: it's too interesting, it's too good. If at all, TLG will alter the design that much before selling it, that it will loose much of it appeal. I therefore love seeing all the entries for the MINI-contest here, because in this way, at least the Eurobrick readers become to see these best smelling brainfarts I've ever seen. The limitation really brings up the best of our creativity! :wub:

I've got similar toy from my childhood but it is made of steel and plastic. It looks that there are mach fun playing with it! :classic: