3 hours ago, degenerate said:

42056 if you want a model that looks good on your shelf once it's built.
For any other reason than that, go with 42055, it's a great parts pack and a very impressive model and nice build.

That is best explanation. I can just add few things; if you like building machinery mocs than BWE, if you like cars mocs than Porsche is great choice because of wheels that practically fit to every modern sports car if you want to build it

Definitely BWE. Both a and b models are great and very playable. And it will give you the amount of parts enough for building anything.

Suspension and wheels can be bought much cheaper with other sets. Imho, of course.

Bucket Wheel Excavator. If you really want a good supercar, get the Chiron. In light of the Chiron being a thing, there is no reason to buy the Porsche, unless you really like Porsche cars.

Alternatively, buy both and sell the unopened Porsche for a profit down the line. OR sell the BWE. Dunno how much the price of the porsche will increase over time though.

If you don't mind buying a second hand set, it's easier to find the BWE than the Porsche that way. What I'm trying to say is that you should buy the Porsche before it retires, and keep an eye open for a used BWE. 

Edited by mortenm

You will regret not getting the Porsche later. You probably won't regret not getting the BWE. That's my take on it :wink: 

On 8/31/2018 at 5:29 PM, siddparkar said:

I have a tough choice to make. Seems like both 42055 and 42056 would be retiring soon.

Wanted to know which is a more satisfying set of the two? There is a $70 gap between the two.

Were I to choose one of them, which should it be?

It depends on what you are going to do after assembling the sets.

42056 is a great model to leave it sitting on a shelf. Also this is a good donor for creating other supercars. 

42055 is a more universal set, that would let you create a wider range of models.

Edited by Yevhen

On 8/31/2018 at 9:54 AM, Akbalder said:

It depends of what you want to do with your set (display or build).

The BWE has a B model and its pieces are great to build other things.

The Porsche looks great and is fun to build.

You can play longer with the BWE.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:58 AM, degenerate said:

42056 if you want a model that looks good on your shelf once it's built.
For any other reason than that, go with 42055, it's a great parts pack and a very impressive model and nice build.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:41 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Cars come and go. BWE came and went.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:33 PM, I_Igor said:

That is best explanation. I can just add few things; if you like building machinery mocs than BWE, if you like cars mocs than Porsche is great choice because of wheels that practically fit to every modern sports car if you want to build it

On 8/31/2018 at 2:45 PM, gate said:

Definitely BWE. Both a and b models are great and very playable. And it will give you the amount of parts enough for building anything.

Suspension and wheels can be bought much cheaper with other sets. Imho, of course.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:56 PM, Maaboo35 said:

BWE all the way. I don't own it but if given the choice here I'd pick it every time.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:45 PM, Saberwing40k said:

Bucket Wheel Excavator. If you really want a good supercar, get the Chiron. In light of the Chiron being a thing, there is no reason to buy the Porsche, unless you really like Porsche cars.

On 8/31/2018 at 6:11 PM, Bartybum said:

Alternatively, buy both and sell the unopened Porsche for a profit down the line. OR sell the BWE. Dunno how much the price of the porsche will increase over time though.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:24 PM, mortenm said:

If you don't mind buying a second hand set, it's easier to find the BWE than the Porsche that way. What I'm trying to say is that you should buy the Porsche before it retired, and keep and eye open for a used BWE. 

20 hours ago, Jim said:

You will regret not getting the Porsche later. You probably won't regret not getting the BWE. That's my take on it :wink: 

15 hours ago, Yevhen said:

It depends on what are you going to do after assembling the sets.

42056 is a great model to leave it sitting on a shelf. Also this is a good donor for creating other supercars. 

42055 is a more universal set, that would let you create a wider range of models.

11 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

Definitively the Porsche ... Order at the same time the pieces to build the Pimp up my Porsche version by @jb70. There is now as well an interesting B model: https://thelegocarblog.com/2018/08/29/my-other-cars-a-porsche/.

Good tip to look for a used BWE ...

Thanks for the replies guys.

Can't say I am less than confused after reading all the replies!

I would like to mention a few things.

1. I feel $300 + tax is a lot of money. I usually average around $150 maximum for a set. I don't think the 42056 would go on sale. BWE is frequently for $200. So that's a big factor for me.(BWE : 1, Porsche: 0)

2. I am not in MOCs(At least as of now). (BWE : 1, Porsche: 1)

3. I don't really care for PF. I usually play with them once they are made, and that is it. (BWE : 1, Porsche: 2)

4. I like sets that look good on display. Which is why I have got 42064, 42066, 42043 and 42054 as I feel they are all gorgeous! Also got the very rare and cool set 42038 because it's so unique and good looking. BWE is good looking, but nowhere near Porsche. (BWE : 1, Porsche: 3)

5. I don't own a house. I move around renting. I already have way too many lego than would comfortably go in my car without disassembly. Not sure how fragile either model is but Porsche looks more solid. (BWE : 1, Porsche: 4)

6. I am making the Arocs right now. It is a very fun process. I am 10 hours into it and Section 1, 2, 3 done. I feel this is a perfect size for a large set... around 2500 parts. Maybe BWE would be too exhausting to make? 

Before posting this I was 80-20 in favour of Porsche. But all you guys have made me seriously consider Porsche and now its 70-30 in favor of Porsche!

Thanks for the replies!

Let me ask you one very simple question.....which one do you like better? And answer me instantly without overthinking it.

@siddparkar It looks like you clearly prefer the Porsche GT3 yourself when reading your pro's and con's. If you have the money to spend, you'll have forgotten about the additional cost in comparison with the BWE in no time.

Having said that, I myself, have a hard time choosing whether or not I should buy the 42056 Porsche.

Since all my future MOCs will be of smaller scale than the Porsche, I'm not sure how useful it will be in my collection. The Porsche 911 is my absolute dream car. I would like to get the LEGO model of it as a base to later modify with bits and pieces from forthcoming LEGO Technic supercars of the same scale. At the same time, future models with new pieces will mean the chance for the older parts to become obsolete. For example will the old wheels fit new wheel hubs and vice versa? Also, how long will it be till we see an updated version of the LEGO Technic Porsche 911 like what we see with the Star Wars UCS models?

Edited by zoo

Hey, for context I'm the guy who made the B model for 42056 from the "my other car's a porsche" link above.

For me it's always been about what else you can make with a set once you've made the main model.
What's fantastic about the modern AFOL community is that there are so many options for rebuilding a set beyond what LEGO had in mind when they sold it to you.
I know that not everyone is into pulling apart and tinkering but this does seem to me the main point of the excersize. Now you can build someone else's MOC and learn new techniques and ways of looking at this world of bricks.

I reckon - choose the set that has the most options in terms of MOCs that are already out there in the world.
Even if none of those interest you it will show you which set gives you the most options beyond the pictures on the box.

I can't believe that I'm probably pushing you away from 42056 with this advice but that's just the way it goes.
Perhaps most importantly, whichever set you have, wear it out by pulling it apart and making crazy shit with it.

42055 somehow reminds me Lego Technic 8094 (control center), that I couldn't afford, when I was a kid.

This is another reason why I recommend the wonderful set!

Edited by Yevhen

On 8/20/2018 at 10:06 PM, Yevhen said:

42070 rough terrain truck is available for $178 (€156) in my city.

I personally like how its functions work (especially the outtriggers). Also I still don't own any RC sets.

What to do?

I'm back again... Found 42070 for $162...

To buy or not? Your decision guys! 

40 minutes ago, iLego said:

General comment. Be careful if the urge to buy is stronger than the urge to build.

What do you mean? I guess it's exciting to build the set. There are big chassis and gearbox + cabin.

What I definitely dislike in the set is that it looks like a toy, not like a downscaled model of a real car.

Edited by Yevhen

1 hour ago, Yevhen said:

I guess it's exciting to build the set. There are big chassis 

What I definitely dislike in the set is that it looks like a toy, not like a downscaled model of a real car.

That, its unfinished looks and the price are the main issues with this set. Since you have found it at a decent price and you seem to want it, what’s holding you if you have the money?

On 9/2/2018 at 2:21 AM, Jim said:

Let me ask you one very simple question.....which one do you like better? And answer me instantly without overthinking it.

I'd say the Porsche. But I just cannot justify spending $299 on one set. I've thought a lot about it and BWE just doesn't do it for me. It would be a pain to carry around when moving.

On 9/2/2018 at 6:02 AM, zoo said:

@siddparkar It looks like you clearly prefer the Porsche GT3 yourself when reading your pro's and con's. If you have the money to spend, you'll have forgotten about the additional cost in comparison with the BWE in no time.

Having said that, I myself, have a hard time choosing whether or not I should buy the 42056 Porsche.

Since all my future MOCs will be of smaller scale than the Porsche, I'm not sure how useful it will be in my collection. The Porsche 911 is my absolute dream car. I would like to get the LEGO model of it as a base to later modify with bits and pieces from forthcoming LEGO Technic supercars of the same scale. At the same time, future models with new pieces will mean the chance for the older parts to become obsolete. For example will the old wheels fit new wheel hubs and vice versa? Also, how long will it be till we see an updated version of the LEGO Technic Porsche 911 like what we see with the Star Wars UCS models?

I wish there would be a sale on Porsche.... would readily buy it for 200. But since it has such a high demand, it probably won't have a sale

@Yevhen The set is good to get some parts to build other trucks, but not so good on its own. Turning and driving is really meh and there is no suspension besides the pendle axles.

Maybe determine for yourself what you want from the set and watch an unbiased Review after that.

8 minutes ago, 5CH4CHT3L said:

@Yevhen The set is good to get some parts to build other trucks, but not so good on its own. Turning and driving is really meh and there is no suspension besides the pendle axles.

Maybe determine for yourself what you want from the set and watch an unbiased Review after that.

Thanks

I ordered 42070 two hours ago )))))) Get it on Monday.

I like the set otherwise I wouldn't have watched so many videos about it.

Also it will close many gaps in my parts list.

Edited by Yevhen

4 minutes ago, Yevhen said:

Thanks

I ordered 42070 two hours ago )))))) Get it on Monday.

I like the set otherwise I wouldn't have watched so many videos about it.

Also it will close many gaps in my parts list.

Nice to hear! Have fun with the set

42082 sealed is $207 (€177) in my city. 

Is it a good moment to get the masterpiece? 

Edited by Yevhen

2 hours ago, Yevhen said:

42082 sealed is $207 (€177) in my city. 

Is it a good moment to get the masterpiece? 

Yes. You don't get any better than that.