The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Would this " Detective" modular break the predicted government building? Or are we getting a Police/Detective/Precinct type modular?

Most film noir gumshoes were PIs, would love that type of Modular!

I doubt if the predictable cycle is real. Whatever pattern there is beyond "corner -straight-straight -corner" is I'm sure purely coincidence. I am sure the actual approach is to simply design something new and interesting each time, and to tell whatever little story they have in their head.

That's part of what makes the rumor of a Detective Office so believable. So many of them seem to have an almost vintage movie feel about them. And you can easily see either of our two previous Modular designers, Jamie or Astrid just falling in love with a Film Noir story like that. Maltese Falcon, Phillip Marlowe, Chinatown and even a touch of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (This is Lego after all.) once you think of them the set practically designs itself. Upstairs two room detective office over a small hot smelly business. Next door to a cheap motel with one of those vertical signs with a broken letter. The hard boiled detective. The spunky gal Friday. The femme fatal. Peter Lorre. a black bird. Possible architecture styles Art Deco, New Orleans or Savanna style French Quarter iron trappings or a dense Chinatown feel. Just thinking about it you can practically smell it.

Something along the lines of an Art Deco office building? A second floor walk up office over something like a Laundry or similar small shop?

What a scene it would be to have mobster types in suits, in the downstairs laundromat, putting money into the washing machine.

VINCE: "Jimmy, are you sure the boss wants us to do this?"

JIMMY: "He said launder it and we are laundering it. I'm not going back to ask him again."

VINCE: "Oookay, but did he say how many cups of soap to use?"

To be honest, I really wouldn't want to see a police station if it is going to be something like Town Hall.

I totally agree. If it were just a regular police station it would feel boring considering how many plain police stations they have made with the City line. I think a detective style building is the modular line's interpretation of a cooler looking police station.

I know the Monster Fighters Haunted House isn't really a Modular but... But when I asked my local LEGO store why they didn't have any in stock they said it has been discontinued. It can easily be made into a Modular and is quite beautiful on it's own.

I'm going to grab another one.

If you were on the fence about this one, now it the time to get it!

I know the Monster Fighters Haunted House isn't really a Modular but... But when I asked my local LEGO store why they didn't have any in stock they said it has been discontinued. It can easily be made into a Modular and is quite beautiful on it's own.

I'm going to grab another one.

It came out in 2012, so makes sense its about to retire, I think all the sets 2+ years old are getting near the end...

I have just built my first modular 10218 Pet Shop and I am amazed by the effort LEGO put into modular line. I'm afraid I am hooked now. This was the greatest building experience I've had with LEGO

I have just built my first modular 10218 Pet Shop and I am amazed by the effort LEGO put into modular line. I'm afraid I am hooked now. This was the greatest building experience I've had with LEGO

Quit now while you still can Dharkan! :laugh:

I've got to say, I'm on the verge of buying the Parisian Restaurant, but if they made a detective agency....I may have to buy that too! Damn I'm hooked, "Crackular Buildings" I thinks a better term for them, and I haven't even bought one yet! I really enjoy the Dixon Hill episodes of Star Trek TNG, and after making Dixon out of Lego it'd be great to give him a home. I get the feeling I'm trying to make excuses to myself to buy it, and it isn't even confirmed...

Has there ever been a rumour of a Modular that's been wrong? I remember talk about a Police Station and a Post Office, but I'm not sure.

Library, Detective agency or a new and better coffee shop. I'd love those.

And also I really hope we get a new 16x32 combo modular this time.

I've got to say, I'm on the verge of buying the Parisian Restaurant, but if they made a detective agency....I may have to buy that too! Damn I'm hooked, "Crackular Buildings" I thinks a better term for them, and I haven't even bought one yet! I really enjoy the Dixon Hill episodes of Star Trek TNG, and after making Dixon out of Lego it'd be great to give him a home. I get the feeling I'm trying to make excuses to myself to buy it, and it isn't even confirmed...

Has there ever been a rumour of a Modular that's been wrong? I remember talk about a Police Station and a Post Office, but I'm not sure.

Be warned the Modulars are some of the most fulfilling builds you will ever get in Lego packaging. More than any other sets they just feel so complete. And they feel much more like a major project. You almost feel a sense of letdown when you finish because it is over, and you go looking for another experience like it. The only other thing that comes close are the Star Wars UCS sets. The PR is a superb first one.

Rumors are often wrong or confused. Even when they give us hints. Heck we suspected that the next was a restaurant when it turned out to be the Theater, based on a comment of Jamie Berards. (Little did we realize then his hint was for the one he was working on for after the Theater.) We suspected the Theater would be Art Deco. Lots of things we have gotten wrong. But more often than not rumors seem to pan out, so long as they aren't simply speculation.

Unless Grogall announces it, I dont believe it.

GRogall hasn't posted for months. So, we'll have to stick with these rumors until an official reveal. :sad:

Edited by just2good

Faefrost, though I've never bought an Star Wars UCS set, nor am I likely to in the future, I got a similar feeling when I built the Imperial Flagship. I sat down from eight in the morning till four in the evening, and savoured building it. Probably the best build I've experienced, and when I built it, though a supreme sense of pride filled me (my first and only D2C set currently), there was a small part of me that regretted that I'd never build it again. The PR looks superb, I've seen and handled a Market Street, Green Grocer, and a Café Corner, and I've nearly bought the Town Hall and Palace Cinema, but when I saw PR, I knew I had to buy it. Looks like it may be by Christmas, but it will be mine!

Thanks for the clarification, I was in a mini dark age due to events out of my control when this topic was made, so I've found it and read it and then kind of got it confused in my head with other sites, I couldn't remember what rumour was what!

I have just received the LEGO catalogue for this summer. In it you cannot find the Grand Emporium or the Haunted House any more. So get those two sets as fast as possible before they're sold out.

I just got the Grand Emporium on Friday as that catalog also motivated me. It is my second modular after the Fire Brigade. While I would like the Haunted House, I just don't know if I got the time or money to get it before it is gone.

I like to see some kind of police or police detective precint, I cant imagine only one floor detective agency with hard boiled detective.What will be other floors?

So I hope there prepare something really interesting, well detailed and big, because next year is anniversary of 10th modular building!

This is what I'd imagined:

I'm calling Lawyer's office on the second floor, now what do we envision for the other half of the set?

If they don't do this, I may have to MOC this pair of buildings myself:

Roof

Private Detective's Office

Lawyer's office

Laundry

Roof w/ pigeon coop

Loft

Apartment

Hardware store

:sweet:

What do you guys think the chances are that the next modular will be a corner building? That way a complete 3x4 block could be created if you have all ten buildings. Unless they wait for the twelfth modular to create a 4x4 block.

I would strongly suggest to anyone they should buy this set! Considering the build and details of the set, it may as well be a Modular. This was the gateway set that enabled my kids and I to get hooked on our next Modulars: the Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, Grand Emporium, and Parisian Restaurant. The Haunted House is still the favourite. From the building experience to the exquisite detailing to the minifigures, this set is a must-have. We break out The Haunted House and all our other Monster Fighter sets at the beginning of October along with the rest of the Halloween decorations.

Edited by Colossus

...in the catalogue I have mentioned Pet Shop cannot be found either. So it will soon be a goner too.

The catalogue only lists a few of the most recent products available. The Grand Emporium had an end of shelf life June 1st, which means that for this year least, that will be the only building to be retired. No other EOL updates have been made for the Pet Shop or any other modular building, contrary to rumours that the Town Hall "will go early".

Edited by nesquik