The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

2 hours ago, BrickRally217 said:

… To me it doesn't look great on the modular street. Something like this needs its own campus, surrounded on all four sides by patches of green and trees….

I’m looking to create a MOCd friends botanical gardens sitting along the rear of the museum, and along one side to a depth of 16 studs, making a 64x64 sized block.  Not exactly where said block will fit in my town, as space is now limited, but thats the plan.

I’ve tried finding pictures of this alleged hotdog truck on Insta to no avail. Could someone more tech savvy repost the picture here? I know I would be very appreciative.

9 minutes ago, Pirate_King_1982 said:

I’ve tried finding pictures of this alleged hotdog truck on Insta to no avail. Could someone more tech savvy repost the picture here? I know I would be very appreciative.

LEGO-Naturkundemuseum-10326-Modular-Buil

lego-10326-modular-buildings-2024-naturk

Source: StoneWars

Edited by Yperio_Bricks

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

According to the interview video the olive green color was decided upon unanimously by the modular team, which IIRC is still headed by Jamie.

To me, having an eye for color isn't just deciding what color(s) to use, it's also about how the designer uses them and creates visual balance. You could reasonably say the main color for Parisian Restaurant is olive green too, but as its designer, Jamie was able to accent the green (which has a dark hue) on the facade with lots of whites and light greys. It's clear that a different approach was used with the facade of the museum, opting for large blocks of green and comparably less color accents, and the accents that are there are darker colors like brown and dark tan. To me the end result is not as attractive, but that's just my two cents!

14 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

LEGO-Naturkundemuseum-10326-Modular-Buil

lego-10326-modular-buildings-2024-naturk

Source: StoneWars

Thanks I appreciate that. It’s not too bad of a GWP, although something looks a little “off” about it to me.

Oh, I  really like that truck. When I heard about it I was thinking "Really"? So I am pleasantly surprised. 

As to the museum itself, I'm actually pretty lukewarm on it so far. Maybe I'll like it better in a few days after letting it bounce around in my head for a bit. I love olive green, but it seems out of place to me on this building. The museum seems short compared to the other modulars shown, especially since it is so much wider. There also seem to be a number of short cuts or things lacking too (though nothing like the lack of books in a bookstore!). Builds like the skeleton seem quite lacking compared to one's we've gotten before (Ideas, not the tan T-Rex), even though the piece count seems reasonably close to one of the individual skeletons from the Ideas set. Seems like fitting one of the Ideas skeletons in place of the brachiosaurus might end up being a  huge mod. This would have been a great place to add a metallic silver Mercury astronaut type suit to go along with the "orrery".

Since I like to mod my modulars, I'm sure I'll figure out how to bring this set into line with my preferences and desires, and like with JC it may mean an exterior recolor, but maybe just trim and roof colors this time instead of the walls, we'll just have to see. Also, one of the first things that came to mind when I saw the roof office was to turn it into a small observatory dome.

I do have 3 Friends Botanical Garden sets that I had fun modding, might be fun to see if I can successfully turn that into a conservatory wing that matches the museum's style. Maybe an "L" shape with the conservatory going towards the street and adding a large plaza in front of the museum entry.

Edited by Silverhurst

6 hours ago, Nickbrick27 said:

And who the hell thought it was a good idea to put statues right in front of windows?

I don't like the statues there either. They could have been placed at the entrance to odd more of a wow factor to the entry way. Besides the colums, which look great, the entrance is meh. Those doors boring and not much detail around the doors. Heavy doors like the ones in Palace Cinema would have looked better. Or something different.

42 minutes ago, BrickRally217 said:

To me, having an eye for color isn't just deciding what color(s) to use, it's also about how the designer uses them and creates visual balance. You could reasonably say the main color for Parisian Restaurant is olive green too, but as its designer, Jamie was able to accent the green (which has a dark hue) on the facade with lots of whites and light greys. It's clear that a different approach was used with the facade of the museum, opting for large blocks of green and comparably less color accents, and the accents that are there are darker colors like brown and dark tan. To me the end result is not as attractive, but that's just my two cents!

I think you nailed it in the head!!!

The olive green theme is not bad and can be good if "broken up" with some accent colors. I googled "olive green building" and this came about:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.dreamstime.com%2Fz%2Fimposing-olive-green-building-across-intersection-munich-germany-september-busy-people-waiting-crossing-blurred-vehicles-113022624.jpg&tbnid=juQMdQCKxApHEM&vet=12ahUKEwi_9arI4J6CAxWUHTQIHYIfBZsQMygLegQIARB1..i&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dreamstime.com%2Fimposing-olive-green-building-across-intersection-munich-germany-september-busy-people-waiting-crossing-blurred-vehicles-image113022624&docid=Os62QWM88rQcBM&w=1300&h=957&q=olive green building&client=safari&ved=2ahUKEwi_9arI4J6CAxWUHTQIHYIfBZsQMygLegQIARB1

...and you can see how the different colors make it look so much better than just the monotonous olive green in almost the entirety of the Lego build.

I am hoping some Lego MOCer out there will take some ideas here.

Edited by hikouki

50 minutes ago, hikouki said:

That building (as best I can make out with the potato quality) is barely olive green at all! Personally I feel like the tan and dark tan does a pretty good job of offsetting the olive green, at least on the front of the building—the back is much more plain but I think that's less the fault of the color scheme than it is a typical modular issue.

42 minutes ago, hikouki said:

Interesting find, in the context of this discussion! Maybe leave the ground floor as-is and MOC the second floor tan? And change the trim around the windows to olive green on both floors?

The trim around the back door of the modular is white. Why didn't they leave it tan like the front trims of the windows. The white trim looks better imo.

23 hours ago, Brick387 said:

As for possible easter eggs...

That museum curator looks an awful lot like the famous Lego adventurer, Dr. Kilroy :laugh:

This was the first thing I noticed and it may be one of the top selling points for me. 

Oh, hot dog van looks charming. With its pastel paint scheme it certainly has the right "vintage" vibes to fit in with the modular street.

38 minutes ago, Riot said:

This was the first thing I noticed and it may be one of the top selling points for me. 

Yeah, very exciting to see Dr. Kilroy again, especially after getting throwback versions of Johnny Thunder and Pippin Reed in other themes! Ordinarily I associate him more with the outfits that have green in them, but the gray suit does feel more fitting for a job in the city like this, whereas his other outfits are more "outdoorsy" and suited to expedition work.

2 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

I don't like the statues there either. They could have been placed at the entrance to odd more of a wow factor to the entry way. Besides the colums, which look great, the entrance is meh. Those doors boring and not much detail around the doors. Heavy doors like the ones in Palace Cinema would have looked better. Or something different. 

Honestly, the statue placement doesn't seem like much of a problem for me — those particular windows seem more geared towards letting natural light IN than providing a vantage point for looking OUT.

And as for the area around the doors, my wife and I were both pretty impressed by the staggered door and window surrounds in the center, which recede two layers of bricks in from the outer wall. For my part, I worry that putting the statues right by the entrance along with the columns would've felt a little too busy.

34 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Honestly, the statue placement doesn't seem like much of a problem for me — those particular windows seem more geared towards letting natural light IN than providing a vantage point for looking OUT.

And as for the area around the doors, my wife and I were both pretty impressed by the staggered door and window surrounds in the center, which recede two layers of bricks in from the outer wall. For my part, I worry that putting the statues right by the entrance along with the columns would've felt a little too busy.

Interesting. I can see your point. But something about those simple doors doesnt do it for me.

4 hours ago, Pirate_King_1982 said:

I just got back to this and saw your post. Is hat a rumored modular GWP?

59 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I just got back to this and saw your post. Is hat a rumored modular GWP?

Yes, the hot dog van is the rumoured GWP for the modulars.

9 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Yes, the hot dog van is the rumoured GWP for the modulars.

Thanks! I will update the modular GWP thread (i crated it recently)

13 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

That curator looks familiar... wait a second, I've seen him before: Dr. Kilroy is BACK!

Now we just need an updated guy in a black top hat with a monocle and a hook...

(I NEED that Kilroy head for my updated Adventurers!)

Yeah, me too, but this ID batch ob his torso is just ridiculous. He is the director, he doesn‘t need an ID batch. 🧐

IMG-8350.jpg

In my opinion, the building would have been better balanced in terms of color if the window frames had also been white instead of tan. This photo without color gives an idea of that.

Sorry but is there some info on hotdog van GWP? Like piece counts, number of minifigure?

Initially, the rumor said gwp will be avaialbe in Feb next year. 

22 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Sorry but is there some info on hotdog van GWP? Like piece counts, number of minifigure?

Initially, the rumor said gwp will be avaialbe in Feb next year. 

Only the picture IMO. But should be two minifigures. 

10 hours ago, The Reader said:

Yeah, me too, but this ID batch ob his torso is just ridiculous. He is the director, he doesn‘t need an ID batch. 🧐

He's a stickler for the rules and runs a tight ship. He insists on everyone following the proper procedures - and he leads by example.

8 hours ago, Bachus said:

IMG-8350.jpg

In my opinion, the building would have been better balanced in terms of color if the window frames had also been white instead of tan. This photo without color gives an idea of that.

You are right! The lighter window frames break up the darker colored walls.