The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

3 hours ago, Lemerbrix said:

New leak on instagram, apparently we’re getting a moving van instead of a pizza delivery van, so I guess I’ll get a Lego city pizza van to go with my non existent jazz club

@Maple it’s actually a moving van, just a mistranslation

link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CoLceKwhHhj/

Huh - how does that serve as a tie-in or incentive to buy the Jazz Club?

Unless it’s a simultaneous Home Alone tie in, and includes a band (with John Candy) in the back.

17 minutes ago, DeanLearner said:

Unless it’s a simultaneous Home Alone tie in, and includes a band (with John Candy) in the back.

Mob bosses smuggling cookies from the detective's office to the patrons at the jazz club?

11 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Mob bosses smuggling cookies from the detective's office to the patrons at the jazz club?

Just like a thief from Police Station showed up in the vintage taxi GWP?

16 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

It says "To: Jazz Club" on the label of the 2 x 2 box. It's a nice van though. A nice little nudge to classic town set 6624.

Actually, very nice. The stuff inside it is cool. Things to send to the Downtown Diner, Boutique Hotel and Art Gallery, Jaz Club, and possibly Assembly Square.

Why is the GWP for the previous year's Modular? Last year the Taxi tied more into the Police Station, this year's GWP ties into the art gallery. 

26 minutes ago, Maple said:

Why is the GWP for the previous year's Modular? Last year the Taxi tied more into the Police Station, this year's GWP ties into the art gallery. 

I mean, this seems to tie in a lot more with the Jazz Club, in my opinion. I see how the saxophone painting could tie in with either last year's art gallery or the Jazz Club (which has a similar music-themed painting in the club manager's office). But the piano and juke box are much more closely tied to this set's musical theme. Not to mention the cardboard box full of unknown contents marked "TO: JAZZ CLUB".

Realistically, though, the truck could easily tie in with both sets, if the painting is being shipped from the art gallery to the jazz club.

Looking at the set, I'm struck by the use of a brick built hand truck instead of the molded one (which was last seen in sets in 2020). I guess that's a pretty strong sign that after three decades of use, the hand truck mold's journey has finally ended.

It's also neat that this truck appears to have a low floor like the design used for U-Haul vans — contrast with the moving truck from last year's Main Street Building in which the cargo bed was raised over top of the wheels.

I usually prefer trucks and cars that can fit drivers and passengers side-by-side, like the ones from Downtown Diner and Fire Brigade. But the narrower, curvy cab design here definitely suits the modular street's vintage mid-century vibes and helps it stand out from more modern LEGO Friends and LEGO City trucks (as was also the case with the Corner Garage tow truck).

The old-timey version of the classic LEGO Town/City Cargo logo is also a very nice touch! Props to the graphic designer for that detail.

On 2/2/2023 at 8:06 PM, lomis said:

What about the bar on the terrace of the Boutique Hotel?

I forgot about that one.  Good point.

What are the chances that the Moving Van GWP comes becomes available again in a couple of months like the Vintage Taxi did last year?

19 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

What are the chances that the Moving Van GWP comes becomes available again in a couple of months like the Vintage Taxi did last year?

I would NEVER count on that. The taxi wasn't well liked and the purchase requirement was too much. This moving truck seems to be much more liked.

2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

More liked AND at a lower spend threshold. And a load of new sets coming in March.

I don't think the difference between $180 and $200 is that big. I mean the darn Teal Car JUST TWO YEARS AGO was $85.

1 hour ago, Maple said:

I don't think the difference between $180 and $200 is that big. I mean the darn Teal Car JUST TWO YEARS AGO was $85.

Yes the limits are to high now, I have started swapping GWP to get the ones i want. I may miss out on some, but at least I do not need to buy Lego sets for full price just to get them :tongue:

8 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Yes the limits are to high now, I have started swapping GWP to get the ones i want. I may miss out on some, but at least I do not need to buy Lego sets for full price just to get them :tongue:

I missed the Teal Car because everything I wanted was OOS. Since then I only buy LEGO from LEGO if it's on sale or there are several GWP, or I really like it. (Like the sailboat.) I've been lucky to get modulars for 40% off on eBay because of bad boxes and no GWP can make up for that type of discount.

But at least the moving van is much nicer than the lame little taxi. :pir-sweet:

Here are some Studio renders of some mods to the Jazz Club. The first shot is obviously the original version, for comparison.

Jazz Club ModJazz Club Mod

The main changes are:

- Medium blue for the ground floor of the club

- Colour swaps for the facade of the pizzeria (plus addition of a shop sign)

- Additional navy for the club signage

- Variation of 1x1 tile colours to give a more authentic/random look of rusticated brick

- Decluttering of the street front, with the table moved to the pizzeria roof

Jazz Club Mod

Jazz Club Mod

I also made up an alternative with sand green for the club ground floor. I thought I might prefer this (with the club then also mirroring the colours of the Italian flag), but am not as taken with it as I’d expected.

Jazz Club Mod

Looking at your recolour, I'm left wondering why Lego thought that dark orange (or whatever surrounds those first floor windows is) was ever a good idea. Matching the yellow used on the rest of the building makes so much more sense.

56 minutes ago, Kalahari134 said:

Looking at your recolour, I'm left wondering why Lego thought that dark orange (or whatever surrounds those first floor windows is) was ever a good idea. Matching the yellow used on the rest of the building makes so much more sense.

The color of the signs is Chima yellow. I think it's suppose to look like a neon sign type of yellow. The color above the windows are a golden color. Those would have looked much nicer if they kept the main color dark blue like was planned. Jazz clubs have a blue / black / gold thing.

23 hours ago, Kalahari134 said:

Propably because surrounding the windows with a darker color creates an additional illusion of depth, which makes the facade look more lively.

On the other hand, keeping it all in one color diffuses the real depth of the facade (created by setting the windows one stud back from the facade) and makes it look more flat than it actually is.

On 2/8/2023 at 7:27 PM, BrickFit26 said:

40% off modulars on ebay? Tell me more and what to look for. *huh*

Just keep looking for the ones you want, they are cheap because the boxes are destroyed. I just saw a Bookstore for $140ish. I bought the Daily Bugle for $225 because it looked like it was ran over by a truck. The Dr. Strange Apartment I got for $145 because one of the bags had a hole in it so it was listed as 'incomplete'. It was missing ONE 1x3 grey plate, no big deal. Just keep looking.

Also I'm in the USA and these sets are store returns because Amazon is just slapping the shipping label to the box and they are in rough shape. If in other countries you might have less returns.