The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

5 hours ago, Hippocampe said:

Even if an artist put all his blood, sweat, tears and heart in a project, a song, a movie or a Modular, it doesn’t always end up with acclaim maybe because the product is too personal or d’avant-garde to be appreciated by a large audience. I don’t think people in this forum minimize the work and the ethics of the designer. We simply compare with previous Modulars that may have been more in sync with our taste.

100% true. I try to look at it apart from other modulars, and in this case I'm more on positive side, but the more I look at it, the more I don't like the colour scheme side to other buildings (what I see is the main problem for a lot of ppl). And this is totally opposite for the BH, where I'am not a big fan of the set by it self, bit love beside the Diner (for ex.).

5 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

would love that. The detective's office and brick bank play features/stories are genuinely some of my favourite parts of the modulars.

We also had a god story in PS.

Form the one image I have seen so far it feels like a followup from last year (more of an early iteration, not the final product) with homeages to previous sets. The palace Cinema-style enterence to the club, the red coloring from Fire Brigade. The smaller pizzeria-buidling reminds me of Markets Street, especially because of the decoration on the roof. 

When I first saw this set my first impression was that it was a photo of a review copy, not an official Lego photo. If legit and I decide to purchase it at some point I'll probably swap out the bright blue for dark blue to match the sign, and swap the pizzeria columns with white for a bit more contrast. Not happy with the brown tiles over dark red on the jazz club, but not sure yet what color I'd swap them to. Of course we haven't seen the interior yet, so no ideas there yet.

Maybe Andy Sax wasn't included in this set since he probably needs to head over to the club from his loft in AS. Doesn't help those who don't have AS, but if you don't, and you want this set, I think you'd be better off getting AS first anyway.

The great thing about Lego is that you can modify to your hearts content if you want. I usually make changes to my modulars to make them how I want, whether it is simple color swaps like above, or more extensive like I did on my hotel by adding an extra floor, raising the top floor 1 brick, extending the hotel one 16x32 baseplate to widen the staircase and lobby, add an elevator under the staircase archway, and change the art gallery into a gift shop that opened into the lobby (I moved the front desk to the back wall).

While I thought this set looked blah when I saw it, that was probably more because it didn't match my mental image I'd created of the pizzeria taking up the whole first floor with a stairway up to the second floor to the jazz club with a speakeasy inspired entrance. The more that I've looked at it and become accustomed to it the more I think it'll be a fine set if the interior is designed well.

3 hours ago, 24nolf said:

After looking at it for several hours it's full of techniques and parts from 10 years ago which makes you think it must be a Moc. But there are recolors of some parts. 

How bad it must be that ppl would think this is a MOC?! It's a legit photo)

7 hours ago, Beasty_Boy0800 said:

I don't know if anyone else pointed this out but initially I thought there were 7 figures, but in the larger picture there's a blond woman running after a rabbit in front of the bookshop. That's probably the magician!

Well spotted! To bad the rabbit is the normal white, would be a fun detail if the set included 5-6 rabbits jumping around with the magician chasing them after a trick went wrong :tongue:

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Might tune out of discussion of this set because I'm already not too fond of the negativity that's surfacing—the usual accusations of laziness or shame as if this isn't something somebody (don't know which designer yet) put a lot of work into. Hopefully when the full reveal happens and we aren't working from one leaked photo the discussion will get a little more evenhanded and considerate...

If I was a Lego designer I would read a review or two, but stay away from the comments and forums like this. However some times when the designers start answering questions in said forums most people behave better :shrug_oh_well: 

I'm not sold on this one. I loved the brickbank/laundrette combo, but that had a reason (money laundering). This just feels forced.

The Jazz Club has a vibe of a cross between the fire station and the cinema from the old Town Plan set! 

Well, I'm not sold on this one yet. My wife dislikes it for multiple reasons (colours, bland jazz club front, feels cramped, unfinished), based on this picture. Big disappointment for her, so far.
Personally, I like the pizzeria and the ground floor façade design of the jazz club, although the blue looks a bit out of place. The dark red and gray part of it really puts me off, though.
We do not mind the two-building concept, it adds to the diversity of the street.
Hopefully, the official pictures will make us more positive.
For now: Combined with the price increases, definitely not a first-day buy, still a toss-up if it will end up in our city to begin with.
But I'm not giving up on this one, just yet.
Maybe wait for a discount. A huge discount.

Edited by Withacee

Somehow I am still not sure whether the picture is legit or not. It probably is, but doesnt look like it. In any case, based on the single photo, i dont like what I see. Not a bit. Only cello piece seems to be interesting and desirable :)

Big sets like this often gets leaked under 24 hours before the reveal, I assume because press release and pictures are sent out too a lot of people beforehand  :shrug_oh_well:

I assume it will be revealed later today so will see more pictures before I make up my mind..

Two questions:

- the sets shows part 1745 (half circle jumper plate) in light bluish grey where it was only released in red before

- my insta briefly showed a message from someone about the new modular it started with: in a disappointing and surprising move Lego has…

and then the post was gone because Insta refreshed and I can not longer find it. I could not read the whole message. Anyone knows?

30 minutes ago, merman said:

- my insta briefly showed a message from someone about the new modular it started with: in a disappointing and surprising move Lego has…

and then the post was gone because Insta refreshed and I can not longer find it. I could not read the whole message. Anyone knows?

That was just a joke referring to an earlier (clear) fake rumour

Edited by 8fifty

I'm still rolling my eyes at most of you. 

However I'm moving on now. I'll start with the pizza shop as I love pale yellow. SO happy it's pale yellow. I think it looks amazing. The white design of the roof is beautiful. Plus loads of plants. Very happy. I have no idea what that black mess on top of the roof is so I'm ignoring it for now. 

Now to the club. Very very 'ehh'. It looks like a cinema with a fire station on top. The dark red isn't working for me, neither are black windows. Should have been another color or just needs more color. It's also very very very flat, there is no texture. Even some mason bricks or something would be nice. I also hate the JAZZCLUB sign, I think it's terrible and frankly makes the set look cheap.

Which brings me to my last point. Price. It's supposed to be $230. Nope. Not feeling it. Last year I had the problem with the set just not fitting in with the other modulars, however it basically looks really good if it just stood alone. This will fit the modular line a lot better, but there is no character. It feels recycled. The firehouse on top of the cinema, a pizza shop (food) on top of the tailor (who looks like a barber). 

The interior pictures better be really WOW. 

4 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Somehow I am still not sure whether the picture is legit or not. 

:ugh:

Edited by Maple

This looks like a rather bad rehash of previous modulars. The twohouses-style of Book Shop and Police Station, the revolving doors from Grand Emporium, the colours of Fire Station, the billboard of Palace Cinema.

Moreover, I dislike the unfinished look of the greenhouse and the colour combination is an eye sore.

I started collecting modulars with Parisian Restaurant and naturally there are some I don't like but none before has evoked such strong dislike. I will eventually buy it for completeness sake but probably just before it's retired.

Edited by PK82

11 hours ago, 24nolf said:

After looking at it for several hours it's full of techniques and parts from 10 years ago which makes you think it must be a Moc. But there are recolors of some parts. 

:wall:

Honestly. I thought the gaming community was unbearable. I can't even read the comments here they are out of this world.

57 minutes ago, merman said:

- the sets shows part 1745 (half circle jumper plate) in light bluish grey where it was only released in red before

Yes, this looks right.
I also saw that this piece is used on the back of the new 75347 Tie Bomber set coming out in January in the same color.

No ones mentioned the squirrel yet. Any Ideas? Clever pun, link to something/one, random element? 

It’s used in the LEGO ICONS 10303 Loop Coaster same designer?

Sorry about the massive font. Dam cut and paste.

Yes, A squirrel.  That make the set worth it!  I'll buy it just for that alone!!!

The pizzeria, which is the secondary building, is a much nicer building, much better than the main building.  I will probably remove the Jazz Club sign.  Don't like it.  Then it could be any kind of music venue.

I agree with the other comments.  It looks like a cross between the fire station and the cinema.  Not a instant day one purchase.  I have the Bricktoria Pub MOC, that also has a music venue on one of the floors.  Not sure I need this.  Maybe just the pizzeria. 

Anyone having thoughts about making a brick built sign to replace the printed tiles? I was playing around in Studio last night, but haven't come up with anything I like yet. Just the word "Jazz" without "Club" seems to be the ticket, but it's the sax I am trying to add that is perplexing me so far. 

58 minutes ago, MartyMcFly said:

The pizzeria, which is the secondary building, is a much nicer building, much better than the main building.  I will probably remove the Jazz Club sign.  Don't like it.  Then it could be any kind of music venue.

This kind of happened with the police station. I like the donut shop a lot more.  I wish it was another split set, that the pizza shop could be it's own thing like the bookstore and the pet shop.

Some points and thoughts from me:

• Overall, a very "meh" modular, but I like the (hopefully) printed parts
  • Very nice to get a new instrument mould with the bass! Soon I'll be able to build a full symphony orchestra... Or maybe not. (I had hopes for a trumpet though)
  • The pizzeria uses Part 30044: Window 1 x 2 x 2 2/3 with Rounded Top, which currently doesn't have a corresponding glass part. Do you think we will get that as a another new part in this set?

1 hour ago, MartyMcFly said:

The pizzeria, which is the secondary building, is a much nicer building, much better than the main building. 

And the color works totally fine. I would much prefer the pizzeria to be the main building with some sort of jazz club on second or even third floor.

8 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

but I like the (hopefully) printed parts

I already sow a lot of "hope is printed" - weren't only prints in modulars? That would be a serious downgrade if they would change them to stickers. 

8 minutes ago, Citromon said:

I already sow a lot of "hope is printed" - weren't only prints in modulars? That would be a serious downgrade if they would change them to stickers. 

They did stickers in the Palace Cinema, and given the large poster there's a risk you might get that as a sticker too (and possibly the sign), but hopefully not.

1 hour ago, Silverhurst said:

Anyone having thoughts about making a brick built sign to replace the printed tiles? I was playing around in Studio last night, but haven't come up with anything I like yet. Just the word "Jazz" without "Club" seems to be the ticket, but it's the sax I am trying to add that is perplexing me so far. 

Take a look at this: 

9 minutes ago, Citromon said:

weren't only prints in modulars?

I remember that at least Palace Cinema had stickers, so if there's a lot of graphics, modulars won't be exempt.