The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

13 hours ago, ddavid said:

No-one was buing it or what? Why was it discontinued so fast?

It wasn't exactly popular with the community - after all, it's pretty boring to look at, and reportedly the build was rather monotonous aswell (I actually sold mine misb - it's propably my least favorite modular design-wise).

As for the reason why it was canceled before its time: I don't know if anyone knows for sure.

Two reasons I can imagine are that either Lego took a look at its sales figures (rumor has it that it was selling slowly compared to the others) and decided to axe it prematurely instead of giving it another production run, or maybe some of the parts (some of the dark orange bricks perhaps?) were not in production/stock anymore, and producing them just for one set wasn't feasible or possible (no production slots available).

Edited by RogerSmith

I think that indeed the dark-orange bricks were at least one of the reasons not to produce a new batch of it and retire it instead. Some of them weren't used since then.

I think TH is one the most important buildings and essential component in my city. Also, it’s the only one to have an elevator. I wish some further modular will have that same amenity, hopefully built differently for an extra challenge !

46 minutes ago, Hippocampe said:

I think TH is one the most important buildings and essential component in my city. Also, it’s the only one to have an elevator. I wish some further modular will have that same amenity, hopefully built differently for an extra challenge !

Ideally I'd really like to get a modular building that's completely wheelchair accessible, now that there's a wheelchair piece. Town Hall is the only one that has had an elevator and you still had to climb steps to get to it. A ramp would be a wonderful modern amenity for a future building.

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Ideally I'd really like to get a modular building that's completely wheelchair accessible, now that there's a wheelchair piece. Town Hall is the only one that has had an elevator and you still had to climb steps to get to it. A ramp would be a wonderful modern amenity for a future building.

While it would make sense by today's standards, I think there's an extra charm to the staircase pieces going up and down the buildings. I just smile every time I see the back of AS.

Edited by paupadros

2 hours ago, paupadros said:

While it would make sense by today's standards, I think there's an extra charm to the staircase pieces going up and down the buildings. I just smile every time I see the back of AS.

Oh, sure. I'm not saying all Lego buildings need to be made to that standard (after all, you can only pack so many features onto a 32x32 baseplate), but it'd make for an interesting feature one of these days.

17 hours ago, Hippocampe said:

I think TH is one the most important buildings and essential component in my city. Also, it’s the only one to have an elevator. I wish some further modular will have that same amenity, hopefully built differently for an extra challenge !

And a computer! :snicker:

I remember, back in the day, at Lego World in Copenhagen, that Lego had a special price on the TH.

I got this strong feeling that they´d decided to terminate the production and had it for sale at 1000DK (!)...

And people were just passing by the stand in the shop...

I still regret I didn´t buy at least two of them even though I already had one... :cry2:

Edited by McBuddha

Good price indeed, that makes 134€ ; I bought a second TH for parts at 148€ when discounted by Amazon in September 2013, I am quite happy to have done so: that provided me a bunch of dark orange bricks (amongst others) for MOCs that would have been difficult/expensive to buy afterwards.

I missed a similar sale on the Green Grocer earlier, but fortunately for me the sand green didn't stop being used in production, so I could buy a second Haunted House for parts when that one was discounted :)

Edited by antp

It recently occurred to me how odd it is that while one of the modular buildings has had a computer, I think we have yet to have any Creator Expert modular building with a TV. They're a fairly common trait in LEGO houses and buildings from other themes, after all.

On 10/19/2018 at 2:57 AM, Aanchir said:

It recently occurred to me how odd it is that while one of the modular buildings has had a computer, I think we have yet to have any Creator Expert modular building with a TV. They're a fairly common trait in LEGO houses and buildings from other themes, after all.

Quite right, the residents shouldn't be rotting their minds watching the TV when they have a Cafe Corner set in their apartment above the bakery. 

Edited by Kalahari134

The problem with having a supermarket is that due to how much Lego is now focusing on interior play it's either going to be physically small or very expensive.

On 10/19/2018 at 12:57 PM, Aanchir said:

Which Modular Building is this? I can't think of it , . was it the Brick Bank?

6 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

The computer? It was in the Town Hall.

On 10/19/2018 at 2:57 AM, Aanchir said:

I don't think it's odd to not see them in the modular buildings. They all have an early-20th century feel to them. TVs and computers wouldn't be expected in those. 

6 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

It's Town Hall

I've just read back over the last 15 pages or so - really interesting read. It's funny how we cling on to different rumours in the hopes of different things. I'd really like it if we had a re-release of one of the older modulars, particularly the GG - fingers crossed for 2019! 

I am a fairly recent AFOL (past 15 months or so) in love with modular buildings, and so I'm really looking forward to the new announcement - I hope we hear before the end of November - not too long to wait now. 

I have the DO, PC, BB, AS, DD, PR, FB and the large London Bus, along with some road plates. I really want to create a city one day, but honestly have no preference as to which building comes next. 

In my short time of experiencing rumours before releases (DD was my first experience of this), it was interesting just how many people had it wrong. 

I wouldn't be surprised if TLG surprised us again, and the release is something we'd never assumed. I hope so at least, as it's all the more fun going along for the ride. 

Out of the three that I've had the time to build so far, the BB is my favourite, over the DO and PC. I enjoyed the DO and PC builds, but the BB just felt like a real building. Therefore, I'm hoping that the next corner building gives a similar type of feel with the facade in particular. It'll be March next year before I have the time to build a new one, so there's no rush... even though I'd really like to know what the new modular building is going to be now!!! 

Thanks to everyone for posting and giving me an interesting 30 minutes. Looking forward to seeing the announcement in this thread, whenever that will be.

I’m just about to finish building DD ; when I buy a modular, I like to delay a little bit to construct it, when the fall arrives and just before the next one is announced... it helps for the wait...  I must admit I’m really impressed with the techniques used. I was a little bit skeptical about the theme when it was revealed about a year ago (another eating place ? Really ?)  The counter, the façade, the stairs, etc. From my point of view, it must have been the most complex to build yet.

I think I was like many others who couldn’t resist to buy it anyway and I’m glad I did. Now:  somebody somewhere, a little leak of information please !

P.S the BB also has a computer in the banker’s office

Edited by Hippocampe

2 hours ago, RuffDraft said:

Out of the three that I've had the time to build so far, the BB is my favourite, over the DO and PC.

I definitely agree that PC feels like a relatively weak build compared to most of the later modulars (though with good scope for modification).

I think that PR remains both the best looking and the most enjoyable building experience, so I’d definitely recommend you do that one soon. There isn’t much repetition, and lots of nice little details (eg kitchen, attic apartment).

5 hours ago, nikhkin said:

I don't think it's odd to not see them in the modular buildings. They all have an early-20th century feel to them. TVs and computers wouldn't be expected in those.

Televisions might not have been as common in the early 20th century as today, but the first television stations were founded in 1928, and television sets were first sold commercially in the UK that same year. CRT television sets also came about pre-WWII.

Also, in general, I'm not too fond of the idea that the Modular Buildings represent a highly specific point in time. After all, the computer in Town Hall is not the only or even the first thing that would have been anachronistic with the idea of a pre-WWII setting that many AFOLs envision for their modular streets. A small grocery store like the Green Grocer would not have had the style of refrigerated coolers with huge glass doors seen in that set back in the 1930s. The Fender Stratocaster style electric guitar in Assembly Square would not have existed pre-WWII, nor would the style of motor scooter in Parisian Restaurant. Never mind how unlikely it would be in a pre-WWII setting for women to wear trousers, for girls to wear halter tops (as seen in Town Hall), or for anyone to wear printed T-shirts as outerwear (as seen in Grand Emporium, Town Hall, and Assembly Square), particularly with an astronaut pattern (as seen in Town Hall)!

18 minutes ago, DeanLearner said:

I definitely agree that PC feels like a relatively weak build compared to most of the later modulars (though with good scope for modification).

I think that PR remains both the best looking and the most enjoyable building experience, so I’d definitely recommend you do that one soon. There isn’t much repetition, and lots of nice little details (eg kitchen, attic apartment).

Thanks for the recommendation, Dean. I think PR is a lot of people's favourites, so for those reasons, I was going to leave it until last... I figure it's always best to save the best until last, rather than feel more and more disappointed as I build. So out of AS, DD and the FB, which do you think would be the least enjoyable to most enjoyable to build?! 

I agree about the PC. The thing is, if it wasn't for the Palace Cinema, I would have never found a love for Modular Buildings. I used to be a teacher, and left teacher to set up my own videography business. I was given a sizeable voucher to Amazon from my school upon leaving, and so I thought it would be nice to get something meaningful with the voucher. When I stumbled across the PC, I figured it was the perfect was to show the transition from being a teacher to making films, even if they are mostly weddings or corporate jobs. I have a Minifigure that represents me, and I made three school children in the Lego store, so in my current city, I'm taking the kids from school to go on a cinema trip... I like looking across from my computer and seeing that story, as it shows where I was and where I've come, be it good or bad. So, although the PC is definitely one of my least favourite modulars, it is in some ways my favourite, as it represents something. I always loved the rooftop design, and the Palace sign too, but the BB is my favourite. It's so realistic with the exception of the money laundering! Haha 

I got our group of friends to buy my girlfriend the PR as well, so we have two of them now. We are considering doing the double PR build, which is shown here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-10489/dagupa/parisian-restaurant-corner/ 

I'm not sure if building a MOC will spoil the experience of building the PR though, as it seems to be everyone's favourite. The other idea is to have two of them in the city, and it can be like a posh restaurant chain... see what happens when we actually have some time to build. 

Thanks for taking an interest! 

5 hours ago, Hippocampe said:

I’m just about to finish building DD ; when I buy a modular, I like to delay a little bit to construct it, when the fall arrives and just before the next one is announced... it helps for the wait...  I must admit I’m really impressed with the techniques used. I was a little bit skeptical about the theme when it was revealed about a year ago (another eating place ? Really ?)  The counter, the façade, the stairs, etc. From my point of view, it must have been the most complex to build yet.

I think I was like many others who couldn’t resist to buy it anyway and I’m glad I did. Now:  somebody somewhere, a little leak of information please !

P.S the BB also has a computer in the banker’s office

Nope, that's actually a typewriter in BB.

Totally agree about DD though; that set is pure genius and such a spectacular build. Hope to see many more modulars from the same designer.

Edited by Brick Dangerous

Now heading to end of October and for the first time I still haven't bought DD though I am a serious modular theme fan. Any news or rumors about 2019 modular set? Do hope to see some of classic European style building.....please.

20 hours ago, RuffDraft said:

So out of AS, DD and the FB, which do you think would be the least enjoyable to most enjoyable to build?! 

To be honest, I can’t make any comparison there as don’t own FB and haven’t eat built DD. I have built AS in the last couple of months, which I definitely enjoyed, though even that was potentially affected by a number of modifications I made to things about the original I didn’t really care for.

I’ve attached a photo for interest, though apologies for the poor quality, I should probably join an image hosting service to be able to embed better quality shots.

361FB1BF-FF05-447D-B8CA-D14D2E0477E0.jpeg

2 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

To be honest, I can’t make any comparison there as don’t own FB and haven’t eat built DD. I have built AS in the last couple of months, which I definitely enjoyed, though even that was potentially affected by a number of modifications I made to things about the original I didn’t really care for.

I’ve attached a photo for interest, though apologies for the poor quality, I should probably join an image hosting service to be able to embed better quality shots.

361FB1BF-FF05-447D-B8CA-D14D2E0477E0.jpeg

Still looking awesome, Dean! 

AS in many ways looks like the ultimate modular for its larger size, but I agree that it's not a modular that will be my favourite... I just think it's a pretty legendary set for what it stands for, and awesome that it has so many pieces and rooms etc! 

Glad you had fun putting it together, even if it wasn't all to your tastes! 

Fingers crossed we'll get a leak on the next modular in the next month or so!