The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Whatever the next modular ends up being, as long as its as good as the last few (Detective's Office, Brick Bank, Assembly Square) I am definitely interested. All 3 have interesting building techniques, great parts selections, nice minifigs and interesting subject matter (including things not seen in LEGO before like the Barber Shop in the Detective's Office set, the Laundromat in the Brick Bank and the Florist in the Assembly Square)

i just hope they dont go forward with the size for the new modulars being the size of assembly square.

Assembly square was the 10th anniversary , it was supposed to be special.

As far as the new modular goes , a library would be great or better yet a 3 store museum would also be great.

If history tells us anything it will have some kind of story behind or various themes all at once ( Detective´s Office had the pub , detective office , barber shop , Bank had the bank itself and the laundry)

3 hours ago, just_one said:

i just hope they dont go forward with the size for the new modulars being the size of assembly square.

Surely not, that would be ridiculous. Look, while Assembly Square is, I think, a better modular than Brick Bank, many reviews and builds on YouTube show that BB is more popular. Look:

Views                       BB                          AS

Jangbricks:          757.000                  324.000

Brick Builder:     1.700.000                 941.000

Designer Video:   279.000                  231.000

Must say, the thumbanil on BB's Lego offical video was rather terrible...

With that said, it makes zero sense to make another Assembly Square. Furthermore, I think whatever they said, not many more big ideas can be put in a 48x32 baseplate. Another square? A public park? No. The first would be considered too similar to AS and a park would just be rather rubbish...

Again, don't be surprised if the piece count is over 2600 bricks. I think it's just logical, it makes sense to make it go up slightly from the previous pre-Assembly Square modulars. Subject matter? Up to Lego, the masterminds behind Creator Expert have surely the weapon still loaded to surprise us yet.

3 hours ago, paupadros said:

Surely not, that would be ridiculous. Look, while Assembly Square is, I think, a better modular than Brick Bank, many reviews and builds on YouTube show that BB is more popular. Look:

With that said, it makes zero sense to make another Assembly Square. Furthermore, I think whatever they said, not many more big ideas can be put in a 48x32 baseplate. Another square? A public park? No. The first would be considered too similar to AS and a park would just be rather rubbish...

Again, don't be surprised if the piece count is over 2600 bricks. I think it's just logical, it makes sense to make it go up slightly from the previous pre-Assembly Square modulars. Subject matter? Up to Lego, the masterminds behind Creator Expert have surely the weapon still loaded to surprise us yet.

How about Hospital? Could you imagine Hospital on 32x32 footprint? That would be riddiculously small... Or Museum or School campus ...

4 hours ago, paupadros said:

Look, while Assembly Square is, I think, a better modular than Brick Bank, many reviews and builds on YouTube show that BB is more popular.

It's impossible to draw that conclusion from those figures, as BB is older than AS.

I guess the next modulars will be build on a single standard 32x32 baseplate again, as AS was a celebration edition.

On the other hand I wouldn't mind an increased piece count, if that's necessary to give the designers more possibilities. I like the increased attention to the interior, but for me that's less important than the looks of the modulars. I prefer the idea behind the older modulars with less interior (that I try to make myself) above the design of the newer ones, even though I really like the looks of them. The newer ones feel to me more like a very nice looking facade, but with little accordance to what's behind the wall. In BB the floor above the laundromat is in fact a part of the bank, in DO the 2 or even 3 different depicted buildings are actually one building on the inside. I prefer the 1 on 1 relation from the older modulars, even PS consists of 2 solid buildings.

Edited by Wesley D

3 hours ago, paupadros said:

That proves precisely nothing.

You would have to compare the viewing figures of the BB reviews after almost 10 months to those of the AS reviews after almost ten months. And even then the validity of the comparison would be very questionable, as there are too many other factors weighing in (i.e. popularity of the channel at the time the review was posted, time the review was posted on youtube (was it one of the first reviews for the set, or posted later on), etc.)

I do think it does proves something. Time and popularity can be extrapolated to one another. Probably both Jang and BrickBuilder had more subscribers on Jan 2017 than on Jan 2016. Yet, less response.

You might say: BB has been out for double the time, so Assembly Square should have double views. Well... No. There's something called "hype". Hype builds up and drops down when it has been released. Look, I don't have the facts and figures, but I bet most the views in all the videos and articles happened in 2-5 days. Later, the number dropped and dropped and dropped even further. So, is Assembly Square less popular? At least these numbers show so.

It could also be the case of Brick Bank devaluing the "brand" and making the hype for Assembly Square less big (I'm talking general audiences, not die-hard fans who search over on Reddit for leaks! I count myself in that group too :tongue:). Brick Bank was a step down from Detective's Office, so the follow-up sold less. 

Lastly, Assembly Square is more expensive, so Lego wouldn't need all those extra thousands of people to sell the set to, because the others that bought it paid more. Offer and demand, boys...

Let me do the math... Imagine 10% of the viewers bought the sets, that means:

Brick Bank: 75.000 + 170.000 + 27.900 = 272.900 people x $170 = $46'3 million

Assembly Square: 32.400 + 94.100 + 23.100 = 149.600 people x $280 = $41'8 million, quite close, in fact.

I'm probably just going around the issue way too much. I'll just stop now. Let's stay whether we like or dislike the sets.

You could use your same numbers to tell the exact opposite story.

• More people watched the Brick Bank video, because they didn't think they would like it and wanted to see the interior etc in detail. Less people felt the need to do so for Assembly Square because more people liked it. Personally, I am more likely to watch a review of a Lego set I do not buy, since I won't be experiencing the actual model for myself. 
  • Or, more simply, video that is twice as old has about twice as many views.

Your video view numbers really don't mean anything at all about popularity. 

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:48 AM, LegoSjaak said:

I think it is a postoffice including delivery-van...

Do you know something we don't?  If only this is true...

Edited by Hart New Bob

I think next year just might be the year we finally get a modular Lego store. It would be a good way to scale back from the massive Assembly Square, offering a more traditionally-sized modular that nonetheless has an incredibly broad appeal and iconic subject for Lego fans. It'd pair well with the Assembly Square while it's still available, considering the AFOL apartment and Café Corner box in that set. And it would pair well with Lego's big anniversary next year.

I don't have any inside knowledge of course, but it would seem like a logical enough choice.

A Post Office with Postal Truck/Van would be a nice addition to the Modular town.  Lots of potential buildings left;  School, Police, Library, Museum and Hospital and all the various small business to numerous to list!

Post Office sounds too much like Postman Pat for my liking - but a library and a museum would be cool.

I've only just really taken an interest in Creator sets today - they are awesome!

Great work! I like how you kept the bridge and made the river run under the sidewalk.

I was looking forward to the results of your effort! The Ninjago City set is fascinating with so many interesting elements that would be nice to see in a modular street. I'm thinking about buying a set to modify, just like you do, but I'm not sure how to handle it.

I'm curious to see how you'll finish the build!

Looking good, even though I feel there is quite a lot missing without the water and the plants at the base. I need to see the rest of the build for final judgement of course.

I plan to get the NC and build it "as is", with an additional intermediate building/plaza to connect it to the more "regular" modular buildings. That way I hope to keep 100% of the NC awesomeness, while also connecting it to the rest of my modulars.

Wesley D & Drunknok thank you!

As for the water I did keep it:

37317662316_d5e726792b_n.jpgIMG_E2220 by Lego Conductor

37334961242_68d288136a_n.jpgIMG_2221 by Lego Conductor

Still have some stickers to apply and additional modifications once a PAB order arrives.   Plan on modest changes to second level the most drastic being the removal of the tree.  Might try to rework into a Cherry Blossom type tree for the street level.  Top level will see the removal of the Tower and basically be just the outdoor Sushi Bar.  My goal is converting into a Chinatown type area of my Modular City.  Plan on having it across from the Palace Cinema which of course is influenced by the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.

36 minutes ago, Lego Conductor said:

Wesley D & Drunknok thank you!

As for the water I did keep it:

37317662316_d5e726792b_n.jpgIMG_E2220 by Lego Conductor

37334961242_68d288136a_n.jpgIMG_2221 by Lego Conductor

Still have some stickers to apply and additional modifications once a PAB order arrives.   Plan on modest changes to second level the most drastic being the removal of the tree.  Might try to rework into a Cherry Blossom type tree for the street level.  Top level will see the removal of the Tower and basically be just the outdoor Sushi Bar.  My goal is converting into a Chinatown type area of my Modular City.  Plan on having it across from the Palace Cinema which of course is influenced by the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.

Would be better if you create a new topic rather then mixing this one. This is about future modular buildings not about MOCs. Aside from that, its nice - your mod, but personally I like that water around city more.. :)

18 hours ago, Lego Conductor said:

While waiting for information on the next Modular have been working on modifying Ninjago City into one.

My progress so far:

37323954972_89f853df75_z.jpgIMG_2201 by Lego Conductor.

Tackling the second level next!

Loving this.  I quite like the challenge of making a river at street level.  I was about to drop my modulars onto a 3 brick high base to achieve a river bridge that worked.

Awesome Ninjago City MOD Lego Conductor. I like the look of what you’ve done to fit the Ninja City into a more standard Modular build, while still retaining the original distinctive elements.

20 minutes ago, LegoSjaak said:

September won't last much longer... there might be news in the next days... we might get it by letter....?!

I'll wait til something is posted! :grin:

or should I be looking out for the postie? And will they be on foot or be delivering the it from their van/bike? :wink:

1 hour ago, LegoSjaak said:

September won't last much longer... there might be news in the next days... we might get it by letter....?!

i do love stuff in my mail box , letters and stuff... :wink:

i´ll be waiting for my letters then...perhaps anything more coming?

24 minutes ago, mogwai150 said:

Is this wordplay based on any legitimate rumors or just more wishful fun? :)

There are no rumors except tha one about blue baseplate which is just rumour and doesent have to be tied with modular building...because it could be general reference that blue baseplates will return to lego offer after this quite long pause... 

But we shoudl get some "first proper" info in few days...