The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet regarding the Winter Village exclusive yet, but I guess we didn't hear about the London Bus until nearly before the reveal.

After the tenth anniversary Assembly Square modular, it will be interesting to see where they go with the subtheme after that.

I'm sure that the 'Modular Building' theme will continue for (some) years (I remember seeing somewhere a video with sort of comfirmation). I'm eagerly waiting for some credible rumours to pop up. And yeah I guess they can do another London Bus reveal kinda thing for set 10256. 

18 hours ago, paupadros said:

Not really about the modulars, but do you know why they skipped 10256? I mean...

10255 Assembly Square

10257 Carrousel

10258 London Bus

I dunno why, but things just end up out of order sometimes. Last year 10253 Big Ben came out before 10252 Volkswagen Beetle.

On 7/2/2017 at 7:27 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I think the Ninjago City modular may be part of a separate Lego Cinematic Universe series of modulars, and apparently, @just2good stated recently that we should expect a new DC D2C next year, with some speculating this could potentially be a TLBM Gotham City modular. 

As far as the Creator line of modulars go, I hope to see half width 16 by 32 modulars done for a single year, similar to Amsterdam row houses. I asked about this on @Jim's Creator Expert questions thread that I've linked below, during which he interviewed Creator Expert designer Michael Psiaki. 

A LBM Gotham City Modular would be excellent. They should have made it in the first wave of sets.

As far as a 16x32 modular i don't think it'll happen. What they could do is something similar to the PS where it was split up into 2 separate buildings on 16x32 baseplates. I would really like to see that happen again. I wish they would have done it for the Assembly Square with 3 16x32 baseplates so they can be changed and moved around like the PS.

9 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

A LBM Gotham City Modular would be excellent. They should have made it in the first wave of sets.

I welcome the possibility of more modulars, but I'm having a hard time imagining what such a set would look like. Maybe a police station (finally!) with the bat signal on top, but not very iconic since you can pop the bat signal on any old building. Outside of the city, obvious choices are Arkham Asylum (but already done a few times) and Wayne Manor (sort of already done, but people really just care about the basement...). If the set would include Metropolis, it can have the iconic Daily Planet building with the globe on top.

I too don't see a lot of opportunities for signature/iconic buildings in Gotham. I guess you could just do some gothic-styled buildings and call that Gotham? With the classic TV Batcave being retired so soon, I am guessing there's not as much demand for Wayne Manor as some of us might think or hope?

A train station would be really nice, though. And it seems like there are opportunities for story within it, which Lego designers like to start with. Not to mention synergy with an actual train set...

13 hours ago, badbob001 said:

I welcome the possibility of more modulars, but I'm having a hard time imagining what such a set would look like. Maybe a police station (finally!) with the bat signal on top, but not very iconic since you can pop the bat signal on any old building. Outside of the city, obvious choices are Arkham Asylum (but already done a few times) and Wayne Manor (sort of already done, but people really just care about the basement...). If the set would include Metropolis, it can have the iconic Daily Planet building with the globe on top.

I have a bit of a hard time imagining what it would look like too. So many possibilities. 

On 7/3/2017 at 1:25 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet regarding the Winter Village exclusive yet, but I guess we didn't hear about the London Bus until nearly before the reveal.

I remember last year the London bus was leaked in several places even before Big Ben was revealed. When the Polybag Bus was shown a lot of people went on think that was the Creator set that was "leaked" when infact it was just a super early leak like the parisian just after the palace was shown! 

On 7/7/2017 at 8:32 AM, badbob001 said:

I could see such a modular having a miniaturized build of the Olive Green colored public monument seen in the city center in the film.

I really couldn't find a picture of the it from the movie, but for reference, I have posted below here the concept art of it from the film companion book.

lego-batman-making-of-movie-inside-002.jpg

52 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I could see such a modular having a miniaturized build of the Olive Green colored public monument seen in the city center in the film.

I really couldn't find a picture of the it from the movie, but for reference, I have posted below here the concept art of it from the film companion book.

lego-batman-making-of-movie-inside-002.jpg

I do not think they would include such a work of art in a modular set, as it is way to ugly and i think it is way too specific, just like not everyone liked the look of the Palace Cinema...

7 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

I do not think they would include such a work of art in a modular set, as it is way to ugly and i think it is way too specific, just like not everyone liked the look of the Palace Cinema...

I don't understand- is it a work of art or is it ugly?

Regardless, I don't think the structure has a place in a modular street, and I don't think it's important to the movie's setting.

As in Art Deco is considered too ugly by most? Is that the reason you cited the Palace Cinema? :shrug_confused:

Personally, I think that monument was pretty awesome in the film, I just wish I could find a better picture of it, since I remember seeing a broad daylight picture of it as a sticker backdrop for TLBM sticker collection book.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

^I feel that the beauty/ugliness of any piece of art is entirely subjective, and that it is possible to be an ugly work of art. 

I think a building with a unique look like that monument building could look good in someones modular city. But if it was available as a retail set and was in everyones city it would lose it's uniqueness and be far less interesting.

As for a Gotham building that could work in many cities I would go with the ACE Chemical factory.

^This thread has always been for discussing anything related to Modular Building Sets, it is not limited strictly to rumors. 

1 hour ago, tkatt said:

^This thread has always been for discussing anything related to Modular Building Sets, it is not limited strictly to rumors. 

Really? I dont think so...but ok if u say so :)

1 hour ago, Kjellevirus said:

When do new rumours ussually start to pop up for the next modular?

Last year there were first rumours around end of august...

I really hope we do get a Batman Movie modular, but regarding the next 2018 modular, I keep wondering what color scheme they'll go with, and how many shops it will have.

2 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

I really hope we do get a Batman Movie modular, but regarding the next 2018 modular, I keep wondering what color scheme they'll go with, and how many shops it will have.

In Lego Creator expert series? Hardly.. :) I will bet that it would be - Police station / Train station / Library / Museum.. it could be also renewed old modular...like GG or TH...

20 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

In Lego Creator expert series? Hardly.. :) I will bet that it would be - Police station / Train station / Library / Museum.. it could be also renewed old modular...like GG or TH...

You really think the cold do a renewed modular? I just don't see that happening.

On 07/07/2017 at 7:58 PM, jdubbs said:

A train station would be really nice, though. And it seems like there are opportunities for story within it, which Lego designers like to start with. Not to mention synergy with an actual train set...

I would love a modular train station too - something ideally you could mirror build to get a "grand central" train station.

I also think this would have great potential for a suitable train tie in given we are due a couple of new train sets next year.

Given the 1930s setting of the modular building line- the ideal would be an Orient Express type steam train with pullman cars or an early Art Deco style diesel electric passenger train.

Question to everyone who has brought and built Assembly Square, did you have lots of missing parts ?

Already I'm finishing bag number 2 and the missing count is five including a clear roller door element for the bakery window. I've had to raid my parts and go to Toy Corner for said clear element plus now tonight two dark bluey grey parts are missing. I hope I don't find more missing parts in the next few bags in the box.

Besides that I'm enjoying the bakery build of AS, I feel this might be the best of modulars ever.

3 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

Question to everyone who has brought and built Assembly Square, did you have lots of missing parts ?

Already I'm finishing bag number 2 and the missing count is five including a clear roller door element for the bakery window. I've had to raid my parts and go to Toy Corner for said clear element plus now tonight two dark bluey grey parts are missing. I hope I don't find more missing parts in the next few bags in the box.

Besides that I'm enjoying the bakery build of AS, I feel this might be the best of modulars ever.

I cannot remember if it is earlier in this thread, but there were several people, including myself, who had missing parts in the set when it was released.  There does not seem to be a pattern regarding which parts are missing.  Mine was a 1x4 brick, either bley or dark bley.  

I've seen several people posting to lego's social media acoounts about missing pieces in assembly square. It seems to be an issue with that set.

I think it matters when the actual set was boxed up as it were.  I nipped over the border to France to pick mine up, since nowhere here has them in stock, to be told that the one I purchased was only on the shelves a couple of days.  They seem to fly off, said the lady at the till.  Perhaps the latter ones have been more carefully checked as I had zero missing parts and quite a number of spare translucent 1x1s, flower heads and sundry bits and bobs.