The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Was there at opening this morning, about 40th in line, the DO and Slave I flew off the shelves, but they kept bringing more out, said they had about 100 of each in the back. They sold at least 30 of each in the first 30 mins. I said this on the DO thread:

They had both of those in the cases next to each other, it was pretty sad cause the Slave I really outshines the DO, it's actually bigger even. That tells me the DO is long on small pieces. If you gave me the choice, I would go with Slave I every time.

Sorry but the Slave I just look so much more impressive than DO in a side by side comparison. I did pick up the Birds, which looks very nice. Oddly they did not have any PR at all in the store, they were back ordered they said.

Can anyone please confirm that the DO box is smaller than PR? and by roughly how much? Our S@H is very slow on getting new stuff and LEGO online doesn't deliver to Croatia, and i'm an impatient boy, so considering ordering it from Belgium to my hotel, but not sure if the box would pass as hand luggage on those small Dash propeller planes.

At the store today they didn't have the DO on display yet, a staff member was taking it home tonight to assemble. I really want to see it in person before buying it. I'm not big into SW so I didn't even remember to look for the Slave.

Can anyone please confirm that the DO box is smaller than PR? and by roughly how much? Our S@H is very slow on getting new stuff and LEGO online doesn't deliver to Croatia, and i'm an impatient boy, so considering ordering it from Belgium to my hotel, but not sure if the box would pass as hand luggage on those small Dash propeller planes.

Just compared two unopened boxes. DO and PR boxes are the same size.

I'll say this: TLG certainly seems to have learned from the mistake of underproducing the Tumbler... My store had both of these and most of the other new releases in huge quantities, many held at the registers in shipping cartons instead of being placed on shelves.

Tumblers were gone less than 30 seconds after the doors opened, and I got Slave I more than 2 hours after opening, and DOs were still being passed out frequently, too.

My lego store today only had PS left of all the modulars, saw the last DO leave the shelf, no series 13 of the minifigs, and is only expecting a shipment on the 9th of January, no idea what they are going to sell in the meantime. Was hoping to pick up PC...a bit frustrated, second time in a row I go to my lego store and that they seem to be out of anything interesting....

Yiiihaaa, I just bought my DO online at the Lego S@H. Very excited, hope it shows up soon! I doubted about the Ideas Birds for a bit, but I've decided to let it pass, it's a bit too expensive I think.

Right now I'm still busy building my Grand Emporium, I got the 2nd and 3rd floor ahead of me. I've also got a Town Hall in the box, so I need to choose which modular I will build next! Good stuff!

DO is out of stock now, with 12 Jan. date to ship in USA. Looking at the most popular list of sets on the S@H site, DO is number 4 beat out by minifigs and Elsa's ice castle... Did the PR ever sell out when it was first available? I didn't get it till February...

Yiiihaaa, I just bought my DO online at the Lego S@H. Very excited, hope it shows up soon! I doubted about the Ideas Birds for a bit, but I've decided to let it pass, it's a bit too expensive I think.

Right now I'm still busy building my Grand Emporium, I got the 2nd and 3rd floor ahead of me. I've also got a Town Hall in the box, so I need to choose which modular I will build next! Good stuff!

I originally thought the Birds was set a bit high (lets face it, all LEGO is more expensive then it needs to be) but once I built it the size of the birds were much bigger than I was picturing. I think the price is about right for what you get.

Minifig for scale (sorry for being OT)

s5z4si.jpg

Oh wow! That's quite big indeed! You might've just persuaded me into buying it...

Has anyone heard anything about The Big Bang Theory set?

Getting back to modulars, I've seen several pictures of modular cities. The one thing that strikes me is how out of proportion the town hall looks when it's not expanded. It may have moved to the bottom of my list based solely on its terrible proportion. I think TLG needs to experiment with different size modulars. Many have called for some that are only 16 wide. I can see where TH should have been at least 48 wide with an even higher price than the $199.

I'm new to modulars, having received the PS for Christmas, and was thinking it would be nice if Lego sold expansion packs for the modulars (wishful thinking, I suppose!)

I would be fine if TLG released two 16-wide modulars (one in January and on in like July) instead of one 32-wide. Just to throw in some variety. Or a 32 in January and a 16 in July.

That could cut the price in half as well. 16 wide modulars like one of the buildings in the pet shop set would be a great place for many to begin on modulars. Because the high price is the biggest hurdle for these sets

I agree, but I'd pay more for something really amazing!

Me too. That's why it would be nice to see some 16 wides AND some super sets. The town hall and grand emporium clearly merited larger sets in order to make things look better. A mix of 16, 32 and a super set here and there might satisfy everyone's budget.

Just thought I'd share these dark action shots I took with my phone of the interior of the DO. This new modular really is a sight to behold!

16014254099_b576ebddba_n.jpg16014251059_55da05656f_n.jpg16198469211_b11650e417_n.jpg

16200341135_5539114420_n.jpg16198466071_2d445b1039_n.jpg16014538257_3a8c072a47_n.jpg

That could cut the price in half as well. 16 wide modulars like one of the buildings in the pet shop set would be a great place for many to begin on modulars. Because the high price is the biggest hurdle for these sets

A 32x32 modular is about $160, something almost equivalent in parts count to a 16 wide would be the Bike Shop, Cafe. It's about $90, so I really don't think we could see a 16 wide for half the price of a 32x32.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

I agree with the 16 wide modulars consensus. It would be nice to get two modulars a year with one being 16 and the other 32 wide. Maybe once in awhile throw in a 48 wide. Most city buildings have varying height and widths. I don't know if Lego would do it but one can hope!

It's not as if they don't do much, much more expensive sets anyway (Sydney Opera House, Death Star...)

A 32x32 modular is about $160, something almost equivalent in parts count to a 16 wide would be the Bike Shop, Cafe. It's about $90, so I really don't think we could see a 16 wide for half the price of a 32x32.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

Oh sorry, i just went instinctively with the norwegian prices for modulars. which is the equivalent of 210$ for the petshop. You're right about the american prices. But it's still a big drop in price.

In addition to the following popular ideas for future Modular Sets:

Bank

Post Office

Hospital

School

Museum

I propose the following ideas too for future Modular Sets (some of which may have already been mentioned in this very long thread):

Court House

Butcher Shop

Music Store

Ice Cream Parlor

Pharmacy