The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I SO would buy one in 32x32. Even if it wasn't up to my standards, it would be an awesome starting point!

Also, I'm going to be picking up the Monsters Fighters Haunted House this weekend for double VIP points. I just might squeeze another Modular in with this, not sure which one.

I already have TH & GE. Any suggestions from you guys? :sweet:

While smaller than either of those you have Pet Shop and Parisian Restaurant are so incredibly detailed that they are incredibly fun builds, the PR in particular is probably the most eye catching of all the Modulars. The Cinema has a fantastic outside but the interior needs some extra work and detailing. (I swear one of these days I am going to get around to installing an old Android phone in in place of the screen.)

The only exception is if you find Fire Brigade at a reasonable or close to list price get it immediately. (Although unlikely you will find this in a Lego store.)

I think I'm going to grab PS before double-points expire. Not sure if I can swing PC as well, but another 600 points on top of the 400 for getting TH on the first...

I ended up taking back a Tower Bridge set I picked up for my wife back in February today to the local LEGO store that my wife showed no interest in building. Used the money to get the PR and each of my kids picked out small set with what was left over. Added over 500 points with that swap, which made it well worth the tip. The only current selling set I don't have now is the Cinema and hope to have that one in time for my birthday in June.

PS is definitely worth the buy as it is a beautiful set and love that it is 2 16x32 base plate buildings instead of 1 32x32.

Got myself GE with the double VIP offer, as a European in Canada for a year it means 199 VIP points x2, but for still less than the retail price in Euros (in terms of currency exchange), and for 50x2 VIP points more. Pretty excited, should arrive Monday! Will be my second modular after PR

Hi everyone!

First post here outside of the welcome thread, so many apologies if this is the wrong place...

I recently got my first modular, the Pet Store and am saving up for my next, after doing lots of research, I've found some get retired. My question is, which modular should I get next, before it gets retired? I have my eyes on the Grand Emporium as it seems to have been out the longest now.

Many thanks,

Mark :)

All of them will eventually be retired. Most people believe that the Grand Emporium is next in line to be retired. It is the only modular left from the group of 5 that were in the mini-modular set that is still in production. I would like to see that retired and when the next one comes out, they have another mini-modular set. There was a photo that showed only 3 modulars in some Lego literature recently - the Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant and the Town Hall. That would imply pet shop and grand emporium are next for retirement.

Good luck on your modulars.

To make it more confusing, there have also been rumors that the Town Hall is next to retire due to it having slower sales (most likely due to the higher price as much as anything...). I went a little nuts with the current double vip points promotion - convinced my wife that we needed to order the Town Hall, Pet Shop *and* the Grand Emporium before one of them was retired. It took some convincing, let me tell you. Luckily, we had just gotten a much larger tax refund than we were expecting, so I had some bargaining room. ;)

You went nuts? Since April 1st, I have bought: Town Hall, Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, and as of about 1AM today, Parisian Restaurant.

I am one of the people who has heard from Lego Store managers (two of them, different locations) that Town Hall is next. That certainly doesn't guarantee that it is next, but at this point, I'll be surprised if Grand Emporium does disappear first.

I bought the grand emporium, pet shop, town hall, and fire brigade all in about a five week span. It was a little crazy with a new modular to build nearly every weekend.

My guess would be the grand emporium or town hall is next to retire. I saw that the town hall was briefly out of stock during the double points this month, maybe that means something, maybe not. I wouldn't be concerned with the palace cinema or Parisian restaurant any time soon. If we do see a retirement this year, we should also see a new modular as well?

I have also heard from 2 different LEGO stores that the Town Hall is next to retire. They both said, and this is an almost exact quote: "It's not that they haven't been selling well, just not as well as expected and the Grand Emporium is STILL doing really well."

And because of this and the fact that I already had the Grand Emporium, I bought the Town Hall about a month and a half ago. And now because of the double VIP points I've also bought the Pet Shop. Also with TLG phasing out Monster Fighters, I bought the Haunted House at the same time. (Who knows when that will retire, but I wasn't going to take the chance)

Now I only have two Modulars left to buy (next weekend, more double VIP points! :grin: )

Once I have all of the current Modulars, I'm going to double up on a couple of them to make them bigger, but if anyone of them retires before I can do that AT LEAST I have one of each already.

Edited by redtrooper27

First post here outside of the welcome thread, so many apologies if this is the wrong place...

It's the right place. We just like to keep all discussion not specifically related to one of the modular buildings in the Modular Buildings general discussion thread. I have merged your thread into the existing topic.

I was wondering if others were buying a lot to get the 2X VIP points...I know I was. I already have the current list of modulars, and wanted to get the Fire Brigade, so bought it from Amazon, paying about double the original price. I ended up with one of the sets that has a missing bag of parts, and am currently waiting for Lego to send me the missing bits. 102 pieces!

I have also purchased the Maersk Triple E ship, Tower Bridge, Haunted House, and Brandenburg Gate (for a gift to give someone) to earn the double points. (I got a good tax refund too!)

I wanted to get the City 'Town Square' set too, to add the bus and other vehicles to my modular sets, but it went backorder before I could order it! Oh well, I will wait and use some of the points for it...

I was wondering if others were buying a lot to get the 2X VIP points...I know I was.

I haven't bought anything on double points yet because I've been buying so much clearance sets at 50% off from other stores I don't think the postal service could cope!

I was wondering if others were buying a lot to get the 2X VIP points...I know I was. I already have the current list of modulars, and wanted to get the Fire Brigade, so bought it from Amazon, paying about double the original price. I ended up with one of the sets that has a missing bag of parts, and am currently waiting for Lego to send me the missing bits. 102 pieces!

I have also purchased the Maersk Triple E ship, Tower Bridge, Haunted House, and Brandenburg Gate (for a gift to give someone) to earn the double points. (I got a good tax refund too!)

I wanted to get the City 'Town Square' set too, to add the bus and other vehicles to my modular sets, but it went backorder before I could order it! Oh well, I will wait and use some of the points for it...

...but buying Fire Brigade from Amazon doesn't get you any points...

Although, I run a pretty good deal when I buy LEGO online:

Delta Skymiles Shopping works with S@H, so you can get 1 mile / $1 spent, plus one VIP Point / mile spent...

Then, if you use a Delta American Express, you earn double miles...

And during Double Point periods, you can earn double miles AND double points.

Which is nice. :laugh:

Edited by rollermonkey

I honestly can't see a carnval set being part of the modulars line. They're modulars, not fairground rides!

I think it's more likely to be that it's another 'fairground ride' to go with the Grand Carousel. I think someone has got their wires crossed, and it's possible that whoever was telling them said that it'd go well with the modular range.

I think it is simply that the next creator expert set will be some sort of carnival ride. It probably has noting to do with the "modular" sub theme.

Reading Just2Goods somewhat badly translated description over in the general thread it sounds like this set will be a minifig scale traveling fair or carnival ride. So a whirly-go-pukey type spinning ride that folds up into a truck the way the real ones do.

Edited by Faefrost

I will reserve my ultimate judgement on this set for once I actually see it, but I don't think I am liking what I read about this right now.

I'm like you stevkir. Hoping this is a mistake personally. Although a different theme to Winter Village, I think it would be to soon to have a fair ride in the Modular series after the ride in last Christmas WV market. Hope TLG keep the modular line to buildings!

I honestly can't see a carnval set being part of the modulars line. They're modulars, not fairground rides!

I think it's more likely to be that it's another 'fairground ride' to go with the Grand Carousel. I think someone has got their wires crossed, and it's possible that whoever was telling them said that it'd go well with the modular range.

Here's hoping your right Paperballpark!

Edited by scottwb2010

A fairground isn't a modular.....how would it connect with other buildings......it doesn't make sense ?

It could an expert build separate from the modular though ?

My question is, which modular should I get next, before it gets retired? I have my eyes on the Grand Emporium as it seems to have been out the longest now.

Anyone's guess whether the GE or TH is going to be retired first. Get whatever you like better. While not a modular, the Haunted House would be my first pick for "get it before it's gone". And it can be modified to a modular pretty easily.