just2good

The next Cuusoo set: 21104 Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Yeah, um, this came in. What?

Most of us have forgotten about the Rover, though it's still nice. I want my Portal set, though! :grin:

thumb640x360.jpg

Link to Article on CUUSOO.

As nice as a Portal based set would be, I am happy this is being made into a set. Congrats to PeriJove :thumbup:.

Edited by Wall E2624

Yes congrats! I probably won't be picking this up, but I see it as a great set for any space/science fans.

Congrats! As much as I love the Portal set and the Sandcrawler, I gotta admit that the Mars Rover is an almost perfect CuuSoo type project. It's topical, educational, reasonably priced and sized, and was designed by one of the real rocket scientists. Its just got a little too much in the positive column for it not to have passed.

The reason stated for the Sand crawler pretty much sinks all chances for any Star Wars project at Cuusoo. :(

Not unexpected. I would have bet on this one.

This Rover was all the rage when it happened. I think it's months late though and most have practically forgotten them so I don't think the set will sell as well as it could have (but there's no way it could have been released in time).

I... might buy it... Really want a new large Shuttle though :P.

The reason stated for the Sand crawler pretty much sinks all chances for any Star Wars project at Cuusoo. :(

I don't think it does entirely. I think this can very well help guide FUTURE non-cuusoo Star Wars sets. I wouldn't be surprised if a Sandcrawler (not of that scale) set was pushed to come out sooner than planned in the future. Who knows?

Edited by BrickG

Extremely uninteresting set to me. What happened to the Back to The Future set?

I wish more sets would get through because they are incredible builds instead of merely because they touch a license a huge fanbase can get behind. But eh, that's for a differente discussion...

Congrats to the mars rover and its' creator!

BTTF is still to be released, I suspect its taking a long time because they need to work out a lot of details with Universal as owners of BTTF.

Another small project wins again, but a great one at that......wow, we have a long wait still for BTTF, though I feel good about the mini shops idea since it's a set just slightly lower in part count as compared to the rover. :grin:

Can my parody commercial be the official TV spot?

Yes! :laugh:

Congrats on the success!, but boo. This doesn't seem interesting to play with at all. I'm just happy he said there's still a possibility for the Portal set. I love Portal!

-Sci

Can my parody commercial be the official TV ad?

{vid}

Haha, great one Kooberz! :laugh:

Now I want the set! :grin:

Haha, great one Kooberz! :laugh:

Now I want the set! :grin:

Thanks! I made that a while ago, hoping that the set would get the 10,000 supporters. I'd like to imagine I helped in some small way. I just finished making all 3 next-gen consoles in Lego too, so maybe I'll help sell those systems lol.

Good that it is finally out, but I agree with others that these sets seem to be taking way too long to get through the whole process and by the time they are released the initial spark that interested us has pretty much died. This would have sold loads more I am sure if it could have been released to tie in with something exciting in the rovers actual mission. Still we never know, NASA may have something exciting to announce that will reignite our interest.

It is a set that I would like to own, so as long as the price is not ridiculously high I would still like to buy it.

I know nothing about Portals beyond what I have read on these forums, but if people want it and it still has a chance then even better.

What did happen to the Back to the Future set? I thought I read that it had passed and was going to be released but that was months ago and since then nothing at all? Is it still coming or has it been dropped, I have not seen any recent photos of what they are planning or anything?

Good that it is finally out, but I agree with others that these sets seem to be taking way too long to get through the whole process and by the time they are released the initial spark that interested us has pretty much died ..

But this is maybe just how long it actually takes TLG to make an idea into reality? The Technic competiotion took about the same time and themes like China etc probably takes a couple of years

That said, the set looks lame and out of date. It will probaly sell in the same amount as the last CUUSOO sets. Which is not a lot. I really do not understand why TLG do this. CUUSOO really is a strange fish ..

What did happen to the Back to the Future set? I thought I read that it had passed and was going to be released but that was months ago and since then nothing at all? Is it still coming or has it been dropped, I have not seen any recent photos of what they are planning or anything?

Well, I think radio silence was to be expected while they design the final set behind the curtains. I don't think there's any reason to doubt it's eventual release (late summer or autumn, maybe?). But there's no denying that these long waiting times at every turn seriously undermine the prospects of Cuusoo. People (AFOLs and others alike) get pessimistic and lose interest, and it might be hard to kindle that again. Maybe that's one reason why they might be waiting with the official announcement and pics of the final model until the release date is imminent.

That said, the set looks lame and out of date. It will probaly sell in the same amount as the last CUUSOO sets. Which is not a lot.

Afaik latest Cuusoo set, Minecraft Micro World, has been quite a success selling much more than was expected. It is even rumoured that it would be getting a follow-up or more.

Personally I didn't have much interest in any of the three candidates this round. Sandcrawler is one of the most interesting SW vehicles just because it is not much of a looker, so a humongous UCS version of it seems quite counter-intuitive to me, and I've never played Portal. Mars Rover isn't that bad educational model, but it is quite niche. And I'm not in that niche. I hope the official Lego version will have a bit more interesting(ly built) terrain even if they don't want to invest many pieces to such a secondary display feature.

There was a rumor a few weeks ago that it would be revealed, if not outright released in August. At any rate it still holds its spot as Cuusoo model #004.

The Curiosity set looks really interesting, and the fact that it was designed by someone working on the real Curiosity project is a huge draw, as it will be an accurate representation of the actual features of the rover.. It looks like an interesting model with a clever use of technic elements.

I hope the official Lego version will have a bit more interesting(ly built) terrain even if they don't want to invest many pieces to such a secondary display feature.

I agree. The rover's ability to cope with the rocky terrain is, I imagine, an important element in its design and some interesting rockwork in red bricks could make a stunning display base.

I'm a but disappointed abot this choice because I was really looking forward to the sandcrawler; I knew it wouldn't get the green light.

Well, apparently I'm in the minority here, but I'm thrilled that this set won. Not only is a cool-looking set, but frankly I'm tired of all the cool stuff being movie and video game tie-ins. And I've never played Portal and was never even considering buying a sandcrawler big enough to double as a coffee table.

This set looks great, has a nifty suspension system, and is educational. Now, I realise that most Eurobricks members couldn't care less about a set being educational, but to me it's a huge plus. I've been interested in space exploration since I was in kindergarten, and am a big fan of Curiosity. People here have said "we've all forgotten about Curiosity, it's past its time", but I know I'm not the only geek who keeps clicking on every page that offers us news and images from the rover.

Come on, people. This little robot is exploring AN ALIEN WORLD. It's doing for real what the heroes and machines of Star Wars and Portal are pretending to do. Human ingenuity put a machine the size of a car on a planet 350 million miles away and set it loose to explore and observe. It's been working flawlessly for a year and a half now, taken vital observations of the planet, and helped pave the way for bigger and longer missions, which will hopefully eventually lead to actual humans exploring Mars.

You guys want to see a future like Star Wars or Star Trek, where we zip around at FTL speeds and hobnob with alien species in a universe of infinite possibilities? Well, if there's any chance the dreams of science fiction will become reality, this is how we make it happen. Curiosity - it's what moves us forward.

Well, apparently I'm in the minority here, but I'm thrilled that this set won.

You are far from a minority. I am greatly looking forward to this set. Yeah fictional stuff is fun. But I knew from the moment this was first posted that it was an almost perfect Lego subject. As you say, this little guy is exploring an alien planet. For real. It doesn't get more inspirational than that.

Good that it is finally out, but I agree with others that these sets seem to be taking way too long to get through the whole process and by the time they are released the initial spark that interested us has pretty much died. This would have sold loads more I am sure if it could have been released to tie in with something exciting in the rovers actual mission. Still we never know, NASA may have something exciting to announce that will reignite our interest.

It is a set that I would like to own, so as long as the price is not ridiculously high I would still like to buy it.

I know nothing about Portals beyond what I have read on these forums, but if people want it and it still has a chance then even better.

The Back to the Future set is rumored to be coming out this August.