7 hours ago, Aleh said:

Hello there!

Yesterday I bought a set I was dreaming about - a 42042 for $80. Just dusty and without box! Love it!

And before the New Year I won the auctionn at Ebay and bought great 8285 tow truck for ~$100. This is just OMG how long I was dreaming about this great truck! But still it is in Prague..

Damn that's cheap!

A store here in Sweden specializes in old discontinued sets, which they order from BL sellers and then mark up the price a bit, they'll charge you 1299 euro for a boxed 8285, or how about 899 euro for a 8258, honestly can't imagine anyone would buy them at those prices  :laugh:

Last week I picked up 42071, 42084 and 42075 at the ripe price of 40 euro brand new in sealed boxes, pretty satisfied with that one   :classic:

2 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Where from? I am looking everywhere but none below 170.

Unbelievable but here in Minsk in local adv site. Of course it was used..

48 minutes ago, degenerate said:

Damn that's cheap!

A store here in Sweden specializes in old discontinued sets, which they order from BL sellers and then mark up the price a bit, they'll charge you 1299 euro for a boxed 8285, or how about 899 euro for a 8258, honestly can't imagine anyone would buy them at those prices  :laugh:

The same manner as there is sealed 5571 at ebay for $2000 or even more when the same time I can not sell mine for 400...

2 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Where from? I am looking everywhere but none below 170.

Cheapest on Bricklink atm is 125 dollar, in the US.

47 minutes ago, Aleh said:

The same manner as there is sealed 5571 at ebay for $2000 or even more when the same time I can not sell mine for 400...

Yeah, it's mental imo... :sceptic:

10 minutes ago, Aleh said:

I thought used box new. would have been a bargain there.

1 hour ago, degenerate said:

Cheapest on Bricklink atm is 125 dollar, in the US.

Yeah, it's mental imo... :sceptic:

interesting.

32 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

interesting.

I've been looking for it myself for a while, I don't order stuff on BL from outside of Europe though, otherwise I'd have ordered it instantly.
It's a very nice crane :classic:

I just a complete Spick3r Robot (one of the Mindstorms EV3 Models) for 82,50€. The lot included the intelligent bricks, 2 large motors, 1 medium motor, IR sensor and the remote. Everything appears to be working properly.

I found a 8420 street motor cycle for 32€ including shipping. No box, no instructions but in good condition.

I couldn‘t resist.

The wheels/tires alone are more expensive than the set. Not to mention the spring/shock absorber.

Now I can build Nico71‘s Morgan threewheeler.

Nice one !

I bought a 8457 for 85€ complete with box, instructions, extra parts, plastic bags, VHS.

Just like new !

Got a remaindered 8069 in early 2013 for £37.99 at my local (now-shut :cry_sad:) TRU. Best price I ever paid for just over 600 parts (until, y'know, 42028 :laugh:)!

Used or new? Here are some of my bargains over the last year- you got to love Craigslist.

miob Porsche 911 42056 $180

misb Wheeled loader 42030 $200

2 misb BWE 42055 $140 and $199

misb All-terrain Tow Truck 42070 $150

misb LE Crawler 41999 $250

misb Unimog 8110 $200

used Cargo Plane 42025 $80

misb Arocs 42043 $136

misb Claas 42054 $90

misb Extreme Adventure 42069 $126

misb Airport Fire Truck 42068 $70

Used Drag Racer 42050, 24 Hour Race Car 42039, Race Truck 42041 - 3 set lot $200

Used Fire Plane 42040, misb Heavy lift Helicopter 42052, misb Helicopter 9396 - 3 set lot $220

used Crawler Crane, Mining Truck, Bulldozer, Mining Hauler - 4 set lot $200

plus a bunch more...  it reminds me of a quote from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson - “once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.” 

Edited by Bublehead

@Bublehead What is your trick to finding such great deals?!? Your collection is awesome!

I'm stick looking for a cheap monorail :tongue:

Anyway, I got a Droid Developer Kit and Indy Storm together for $20, so not bad.

The great deals happen when somebody gets out of the hobby for another quickly. A lot of them came from a single guy who liked Technic, but had moved on to bigger RC toys and wanted to quickly convert his Technic collection into spendable cash to purchase them. He wasn’t looking to make money, so he was selling them for what he had in them or original retail because he knew I wasn’t buying to resell, my own collection being my proof. Some came from TRU at discount, or by their own incompetence. They screwed up the price online and put Arocs on discount at the Claas Tractor sale price of $126. The Toys R Us retail stores honor their online prices, so off to the store I went, showed them their own website and the screwed up price. The manager begrudgingly gave me the Arocs for $126 plus tax.

Saddly, I think I have cleared the market in Phoenix Az... the deals are few and far between now on Craigslist here.  I think the 42070 and one copy of the BWE came from somebody who works for the local Lego store, who was buying at employee discount prices when they liquidated 2017 sets at the store and was reselling on CL. Our Lego store here only keeps current year Technic in stock, 2017 sets are “available online” is their tune when you ask for a set that has yet to retire, but is not a current year set.

In the UK Tesco Direct are currently selling:

42070 All Terrain Tow Truck for £131 https://www.tesco.com/direct/lego-technic-6x6-all-terrain-tow-truck-42070/183-7319.prd?promoId=promo53180063&skuId=183-7319

42069 Extreme Adventure for £83 https://www.tesco.com/direct/lego-technic-extreme-adventure-42069/173-9796.prd?promoId=promo53180063&skuId=173-9796

Sadly Tesco have announced they are going to close Tesco Direct in about a month's time, and I assume this is why they're cutting prices to get rid of their stock. Another often-competitively-priced outlet disappearing ... 

@Bublehead I look on craigslist probably twice a week, searching about 20 major cities.  If the deal is good enough and the seller is willing, I pay for shipping.  I have gotten some pretty good deals from half away across the country. 

@aminnich, diligence and speed are the key to Craigslist, sort of like what ebay used to be. Check daily and check often, act as soon as you see the posting, and ask them to take down the post because you definitely want the set or sets. That prevents others from seeing it and offering more for it. The “unenlightened” usually haven’t checked BL or BO or BS for current prices and usually look to get at most what they paid for it if it is misb, or less if it is used. What is the Latin for “seller beware”?  :laugh: And of course true Lego enthusiasts will sell to fellow enthusiasts at cost or at retail, especially if they know you are not a Lego Speculator/investor and want the set to actually open the box and build it.

1 minute ago, Rishab N said:

Has anyone had any luck with the Toysrus closing sales?

Well, all the TRUs in the UK closed some time ago, so no.

They just went to 30% off last week here in Mesa Az store. I got extreme adventure and airport fire rescue, they had Claas tracktors and sailboats and pullbacks and Road crew sets still left.

I got used 41999 for only $150. But my wife is agains this purchase :(

I've yet to see whether it is an actual bargain, but I recently preordered the 42083 chiron for €325. Have to wait until august for it to be shipped (for free), but 20% below MSRP before actual release date does seem like a good deal.

Edited by Rudivdk