I don't have a problem with the battery box at all - looks cool with its design, much moreso than that ugly, antiquated, system block looking 8421 battery box. :laugh:

The red piece looks like a placeholder for a switch that controls the motorization of the yet to be implemented PF turntable rotation. Would that make all of the haters happy then? :classic:

You just flip up that lid on the chassis for access to the second battery box. :thumbup:

I'd love this to be true :) does anyone have any idea what this red switch does? I taught it was for the outriggers?

Most Lego sets are bought by parents trying to find a birthday gift for their son or daughter. They see some relatively inexpensive Lego set in the local Toys-R-Us store, Wal-Mart, Argos, etc. and buy it. They won't go for the complex, 2,600-piece, $200+ Technic set because (1) it's too expensive, and (2) it looks too complex for their kiddie to handle. Besides, they are used to dealing with the Lego "System" studded-brick style of building (when their toddler may have worked with Lego Duplo blocks), and not with Lego "Technic" studless building style. As Blakbird, Paul Boratko and others have noted, many people still view Lego Technic as not being "real" Lego.

I'm sure Lego Technic sales are increasing but TLG learned from its difficult years when it lost money. It's being CAUTIOUS since much of the world is in economic doldrums right now.

I agree with DLuders - about the only time you see lots of Technic is around Christmastime and sometimes at 2H release dates. Heck, in 2 of the TRU stores in my area they couldn't even fit the Unimog (which surprised me it was in the store) on the bottom larger shelf. They basically jammed them under the price tag strip above, rendering them as a major shelf wear issue if you planned on buying for resale later. Even the 9397 made its appearance in the stores for a brief time, and they still have tons of the 9394 Plane, 8069 Backhoe Loader and 9395 Tow Trucks, so that just shows people or should I say parents aren't interested in Technic, heck if I was kid in this day I'd go wild over those 3 sets. TRU markets to children, and nobody wants to go in the stores and pay the high cost of Technic, well at least the largest sets anyway, they market for the most part to children, and sure you see a few smaller Technic sets, but most times that's about it. I seriously doubt the 42008 or 42009 will ever make it into TRU, in fact I'd place a bet with surety they won't. And places that used to carry a lot of Technic don't at all anymore like Walmart, Target, and a couple other big box stores in my locale. I can recall going into those stores back in the late 90's and early 2000's and seeing a lot of Technic, but little by little they disappeared totally, I don't even bother going in those stores anymore looking for even smaller Technic sets. TRU is about the only place to find them, and only at a couple times a year like said above, or online which I hate because of the shipping. One thing that is a mystery to me is why the 42006 hasn't even made it to TRU online or in-store, its not a large set. I bought one in early January from TRU online, paid through the nose for shipping and taxes, but they must have gotten only a few from Lego, since then nothing. Odd... Another oddity is the 42008, Lego S@H doesn't even show it, TRU has had it on their website for a few weeks but no stock available. I do think that Lego is marketing in retail stores like TRU with just the children-only themes, I've seen more Chima than I'd care to say in the past several weeks. Funny thing is some of those sets, including Chima, have a hefty price tag.

I have to admit I used to buy some City sets back in the mid-late 2000's because they looked cool and fit in with construction scenes, I was actually thinking of buying the 4203 Mining Transport w/ Excavator, just for the excavator alone as a small compact excavator(even with its faults with the boom sections falling off), but for around $40 USD, it hardly seemed worth it for just the excavator, and the lowboy trailer was way too small and didn't fit in at all with Technic. I did buy the 7746 Drum roller, and the 7632 Crane, which surprisingly uses a lot of Technic parts. I just modified it a bit to get rid of the City look. I also bought the Bulldozer in 2008 I think it was, but modified that also and a few of the 7631 dump trucks which I took off the cab and hooked 2 of the dump trucks in tandem like real life. A little small, but still worked on my construction scene.

Back when I lived in the USA as a kid I remember staring at the awesome technic sets I couldn't afford like the airtech claw rig, rescue helicoptor, etc. Sounds a bit depressing to not have any technic on the shelves anymore.

Here in germany I havn't seen a store which carries lego which does not also have a good selection of technic, and all stores with a larger selection of lego have all the current technic sets.

The Lego Group could include a big yellow sticker to fix the battery box issue. :laugh: We can probably hide behind some yellow panel and/or liftarms in the same way we did with the 8070 supercar. I recall seeing a lot of gripes about that too here.

Here in germany I havn't seen a store which carries lego which does not also have a good selection of technic, and all stores with a larger selection of lego have all the current technic sets.

I read on here somewhere that Technic is most popular in Germany.

I read on here somewhere that Technic is most popular in Germany.

Technic is generally more popular in Europa than in USA, and most popular in Germany as you say. Most toy stores here in Norway carries Technic to, but of course their selection varies.

I agree with DLuders - about the only time you see lots of Technic is around Christmastime and sometimes at 2H release dates. Heck, in 2 of the TRU stores in my area they couldn't even fit the Unimog (which surprised me it was in the store) on the bottom larger shelf. They basically jammed them under the price tag strip above, rendering them as a major shelf wear issue if you planned on buying for resale later. Even the 9397 made its appearance in the stores for a brief time, and they still have tons of the 9394 Plane, 8069 Backhoe Loader and 9395 Tow Trucks, so that just shows people or should I say parents aren't interested in Technic, heck if I was kid in this day I'd go wild over those 3 sets. TRU markets to children, and nobody wants to go in the stores and pay the high cost of Technic, well at least the largest sets anyway, they market for the most part to children, and sure you see a few smaller Technic sets, but most times that's about it. I seriously doubt the 42008 or 42009 will ever make it into TRU, in fact I'd place a bet with surety they won't. And places that used to carry a lot of Technic don't at all anymore like Walmart, Target, and a couple other big box stores in my locale. I can recall going into those stores back in the late 90's and early 2000's and seeing a lot of Technic, but little by little they disappeared totally, I don't even bother going in those stores anymore looking for even smaller Technic sets. TRU is about the only place to find them, and only at a couple times a year like said above, or online which I hate because of the shipping. One thing that is a mystery to me is why the 42006 hasn't even made it to TRU online or in-store, its not a large set. I bought one in early January from TRU online, paid through the nose for shipping and taxes, but they must have gotten only a few from Lego, since then nothing. Odd... Another oddity is the 42008, Lego S@H doesn't even show it, TRU has had it on their website for a few weeks but no stock available. I do think that Lego is marketing in retail stores like TRU with just the children-only themes, I've seen more Chima than I'd care to say in the past several weeks. Funny thing is some of those sets, including Chima, have a hefty price tag.

I have to admit I used to buy some City sets back in the mid-late 2000's because they looked cool and fit in with construction scenes, I was actually thinking of buying the 4203 Mining Transport w/ Excavator, just for the excavator alone as a small compact excavator(even with its faults with the boom sections falling off), but for around $40 USD, it hardly seemed worth it for just the excavator, and the lowboy trailer was way too small and didn't fit in at all with Technic. I did buy the 7746 Drum roller, and the 7632 Crane, which surprisingly uses a lot of Technic parts. I just modified it a bit to get rid of the City look. I also bought the Bulldozer in 2008 I think it was, but modified that also and a few of the 7631 dump trucks which I took off the cab and hooked 2 of the dump trucks in tandem like real life. A little small, but still worked on my construction scene.

The TRU's by me have huge technic selections and have for a long time. The one by Potomac mills has an entire isle just for technic and two more for the other lego sets..it's awesome and they always have tons of the flagships and bigger sets available

Edited by David83

Gone really off topic here guys :) anyway does anyone think TLG will make any changes to ether 42009 or 42009, or would they do so this time of year?

Also iv asked but got no response, is it possible the red lever might be for the slew of the crane?

I always wondered do the guys in lego actually look at these forums for feedback on new sets coming out!

Gone really off topic here guys :) anyway does anyone think TLG will make any changes to ether 42009 or 42009, or would they do so this time of year?

Also iv asked but got no response, is it possible the red lever might be for the slew of the crane?

I always wondered do the guys in lego actually look at these forums for feedback on new sets coming out!

On closer inspection, the red switch on the left-hand side of 42009 looks it could definitely be a 2-way clutch for crane slewing and outrigger vertical deployment.

Based on pics and vids posted in this thread:

4-way gearbox on crane

A. boom extend/retract

B. boom raise/lower

C. hook raise/lower

D. outrigger horizontal deployment

2-way gearbox on left side of body

A: outrigger vertical deployment

B: crane body slewing?

The direction of the functions all seems to be controlled through the battery box switch.

Edited by radiant7

That's a good question, would they know how old people are on here ? That would be the big thing, They market LEGO for kids under 16, how many kids do we have on here now ? Were older and our opinions are gonna be different than a person 16 or younger I would say. So its hard to say if they read through all of this to get a feel for what people want in a set or the changes they would make to one.

Dan

Yes, I strongly feel that this little guy has 4 wheel steering... Even more so now than when we first got the early prelim pic that showed arrows insinuating that all 4 wheels steered....

Edited by Paul Boratko

I think 4 wheel steering too. Steering shaft seems to go fore and aft. Don't most monster trucks at those monster truck shows have 4 wheel steering in order to turn around in the tight stadium to go crush the cars again?

I am not too fond of the monster truck model. Though I still might get it as a parts pack (wheels and panels). Oh my, what have I become, buying Lego just for the parts.

On closer inspection, the red switch on the left-hand side of 42009 looks it could definitely be a 2-way clutch for crane slewing and outrigger vertical deployment.

Based on pics and vids posted in this thread:

4-way gearbox on crane

A. boom extend/retract

B. boom raise/lower

C. hook raise/lower

The direction of the functions all seems to be controlled through the battery box switch.

This photo seems to show that the switch in the carrier is for the outriggers only: http://www.flickr.co...157632677753378

4-way gearbox on crane

A. boom extend/retract

B. boom raise/lower

C. hook raise/lower

I think it will be quite different:

4-way gearbox on crane

A. boom extend/retract

B. boom raise/lower

C. hook raise/lower

D. goes to 2-way gearbox on left side of body

A: outrigger horizontal deployment

B: outrigger vertical deployment

Also, that monster truck is quite a cute little set. Good if you want the ball joint parts cheaply :) I probably won't get it though.

hey market LEGO for kids under 16, how many kids do we have on here now ?[/Quote]

To appreciate Technic sets, following 4 conditions have to be met.

1. Having some good amount of spare cash.
  2. Having lots of spare time and patience
  3. Having enough space for storage/display
  4. Having creativity (especially for MOCs)

Usually when people are younger, they have plenty of time but not cash in general (unless entirely funded by parents).

When people grow older, they have more money but not enough time.

When I was a kid I adored many Technic sets but my parents were not wealthy enough to afford it. Now I have money to buy all Technic sets but don't have patience/time to build them or even space to store them!

I can understand why Germany is a hot base for Technic. Germany is still a land of engineers and still has large amount of in-house manufacturing where as in UK, engineers have been over ruled by bankers :sceptic: and got everything outsourced!

This photo seems to show that the switch in the carrier is for the outriggers only: http://www.flickr.co...157632677753378

with respect to this picture: It does not seem so, it IS so... IMHO also the only sensuful solution... Gear- and motor-driven slewing is too dangerous when kids are playing because kids tend to manually slew a crane and this would then danakge the geartrain... do not forget, that the main target audience of lego sets are still kids ... at least domestic homes where also kids live.. this is also valid for technic sets..

I think it will be quite different:

4-way gearbox on crane

A. boom extend/retract

B. boom raise/lower

C. hook raise/lower

D. goes to 2-way gearbox on left side of body

A: outrigger horizontal deployment

B: outrigger vertical deployment

Also, that monster truck is quite a cute little set. Good if you want the ball joint parts cheaply :) I probably won't get it though.

Yep, turret rotation is not motorised and not mechanised at all, its fully manuel, and its a shame.

Edited by Timoonn

Yep, turret rotation is not motorised and not mechanised at all, its fully manuel, and its a shame.

no, disagree - it's not a shame - in contrary: it's senseful.. it would be a shame, if the crane could be fully RC but it is not RC but you have to switch on/off functions on the upperstructure so you have to lay hands on it... and therefore manually slewing is in my humble opinion a good choice als for playablitly by kids (as mentioned above)

With the 8421 and the 8053 crane the function to extend the boom was linked to the function to lower the hook. This way you don't run out of wire when the extension of the boom demands more wire. Does it look like it is the case with 42009? The hook-lowering and book extending both work with a worm gear yet with different transmission speeds.

All functions of the two driving rings seem to be occupied. With 8053 two driving rings were used for 3 functions.

Just found this... Sorry about the size...

082Lego2013.JPG

Awwwww bless!

Looks to be quite a nice little parts pack actually, and the leverage working against the suspention should make it nice and soft. If I can get a buggy motor in there it'll fly!

Edited by allanp

Back when I lived in the USA as a kid I remember staring at the awesome technic sets I couldn't afford like the airtech claw rig, rescue helicoptor, etc. Sounds a bit depressing to not have any technic on the shelves anymore.

Probably I would guess being in Germany that since you are relatively close to where Lego's factory is that you get a better selection, or maybe kids are smarter, I've heard that European and Far East children are much more educated than in the USA, thus they are more into technical stuff...all we really have is TRU, and its spotty except around the 1H and 2H release dates, but every once in a while you get a surprise like the 8070 and 8043 appearing for a time this past spring and early summer, then they sell out and they are gone...I have yet to see a big box store carry any Technic anymore...however as a 20-something back in the early to mid 90's Lego used to dominate both sides of an aisle in TRU's, now its only 1 side, and back then they had tons of Technic...wish I had had the forethought to pick up some of those sets then...

no, disagree - it's not a shame - in contrary: it's senseful.. it would be a shame, if the crane could be fully RC but it is not RC but you have to switch on/off functions on the upperstructure so you have to lay hands on it... and therefore manually slewing is in my humble opinion a good choice als for playablitly by kids (as mentioned above)

Curious, haven't really kept up with the new crane, does the superstructure have to be manually turned as in the 8421, or is it PF controlled?

EDIT: should have read up 1 post, guess it has to be manually turned, that's too bad for the biggest ,baddest most expensive Technic set ever to be released.

Edited by TechnicFreak

Adding 1 motor will fix that for you (the manual turning) and it indeed does make sense considering the target audience. And since when are we afraid to MOD something ? :look: