KimT

What's your recent LEGO Star Wars Purchase?

I am trying to piece together 10018 Darth Maul. I went through my loose pieces collection and have found about 85% of the parts I need, the rest I made an order for on pick a brick to take advantage of the double vip points, the order only costed me about 60 cad so I think it's been a really economical way to piece together this set. Only parts I haven't been willing to source are the larger bricks (4x6, 4x10 and largest of all the 4x18) that go for crazy prices, so I will just substitute and find workarounds with smaller bricks until I feel it's worth it to go buy, atm it's more than I'm willing to spend for a couple parts, in addition to the quarter circle wall panel pieces in black that go for 40 bucks each!! I am just substituting with the dark bluish gray version of those panels. There's also a really rare 1x1 plate in old brown that this set needs, yes a single 1x1 brown plate. But it only appeared in this set and the wright flyer (I have it, but no way I'm cannibalizing that!), early 2000s man, you have sets with these one off or extremely rare parts. I will probably substitute the plate with a 1x1 old brown tile. I could use a reddish brown plate but that's ruin the athstetic of the original's colour palate. Funnily enough though the one piece I didn't expect to be in production still, was still available, the 2x2x3 brick in blue. I found that it was on pick a brick, so I checked bricklink to see what sets it came in, basically came out exclusively in late 90s and early 2000s sets, and wasn't used again until some randomly being in a Lego Juniors police station in 2023. Lucky me!

But seriously I am really excited to build this set, it's just one of those things you don't expect to ever have but really want. I didn't think I had many of the bricks until I actually went digging in my parts collection and realized that I do have most of the bricks already, which makes piecing this set together fairly cheap for me

3 hours ago, Minishark2000 said:

But seriously I am really excited to build this set, it's just one of those things you don't expect to ever have but really want. I didn't think I had many of the bricks until I actually went digging in my parts collection and realized that I do have most of the bricks already, which makes piecing this set together fairly cheap for me

Good luck, great story! 

11 hours ago, Minishark2000 said:

in addition to the quarter circle wall panel pieces in black that go for 40 bucks each!! I am just substituting with the dark bluish gray version of those panels. 

I was wondering where those wall panels are looking at the final model, I'm guessing they're part of the internal structure if they can be substituted. Anyway it's always nice realizing you already own a good percentage of the pieces needed to part out a model, good luck with the remaining orders.

Regarding my last purchase, I wanted to take advantage of double VIP points to get a couple of S@H exclusive sets and being way below the free shipping price tag I started adding pieces to make a couple of the nice STAPs from the new BP. Then I remembered about this Crab Droid and added the pieces to make three of them (with a couple of tweaks/substitutions).
Satisfied with a total finally over the free shipping cost I then went and added the Mando Spider Tank to the order -also a Lego store exclusive in Italy, which would have spared me the hours on B&P- because why not? :facepalm:
Oh well, I'm happily waiting for the mail while the wallet is a bit less happy.

At 50, I bought my first Lego set since childhood in October (75257 Millennium Falcon). After swearing blind I would never buy the UCS version as it was too big and spending that much on Lego was beyond crazy, I obviously ordered it today! 🤦‍♂️

Today i bought two of the LSW Magazines at the local supermarket. They had 10 or more copies! Palpatine's cape was loose in the paper bag.

Maybe i remember wrong, but didn't the capes come in a small paper box with previous magazine minifigs?

On 1/20/2024 at 11:30 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

I did a 2x of every build in that set, and I can say if you only use speeder parts for one alt and barricade parts for the other, there's not much you can do. I made essentially just a larger speeder and barricade. I would be surprised if anything canon can realistically be made out of it- any BARC would be missing that central fin element since there are almost no 1-wide pieces (I think none besides studs, clip/bar plates, and rounded 1x2s) in the clone builds, and with the only joints being bar/clip, you aren't getting a stable walker of any kind. I think some sort of comm tower/armory base would be fairly easy to do, though.

Yeah it felt very limited but the droids were the faction I needed more for so I ended up parting down the clone builds and used those for other things. Those shiny clones are now just in the background beefing up my 501st army. The droids got a shot to the arm though, they're definitely much more formidable with the tri droids in tow.

Gonna post this here rather than bumping the 2023 thread:

Bought the E-Wing/Shin Hati fighter set end of last year and finally built it recently. Both are great builds; the technic frame to get the angle on the E-Wing wings is surprisingly detailed. Yes the astromech sits too high in it's position but that's easy to remedy by removing the jumper plates (same as with the 2021 X-Wing). Shin's fighter is also very nice if a bit oversized so I used Ron McPhatty's instructions to modify to a smaller build and man the fighter is now just perfect. The proportions are great, even with the 'engine' nose build remaining the same size, and most importantly Shin sits upright in the cockpit (I even put her a plate higher than in the mod and she doesn't lean back).

I'm glad I built the official version first as it made it much easier to compare with the mod instructions and see what would change (several studs shorter and narrower). Nothing against the official build though as I can see why Lego made it the way they did - to add the storage compartment in the middle of the ship. Longer fuselage necessitates wider wings to scale better so that's why we ended up with the model that released. The same design choice was made with Mando's N1 which was similarly oversized. Anyway I'm very happy with the Ron's mod especially for a situation that is display rather than play - although swooshability is still just as good, maybe even better.

Recently found a good lot on FB marketplace of a nice dude selling some of his sets and figures, was able to pick up a 99% complete E-wing/shin hati's starfighter, just has a couple parts missing which are easy replacements from Lego, thankfully it had the minifigures, plus the 3 inquisitors from the Scythe, and the entire Bad Batch squad minus Omega, all for 70 CAD. I'm pretty happy as I was super sad when the bad batch shuttle retired, I had been waiting for it to go on sale the entire time but as expected in Canada, nothing ever goes on sale anymore (oh how I wish I could go back to 2012 and take advantage of the toys r us 50% off clearance of large Star Wars wave flagship sets) 

i'm getting a 75337 tomorrow, gonna retire soon, so its last time to grab it with acceptable price tags, I already started to see irrationally priced offers from second hand sellers....

I've gotten a decent number of items since the last time I posted in this thread in mid-December.

• 75347 TIE Bomber and five copies of 75359 332nd Battle Pack (bringing my total number of that battle pack to 12 currently) as Christmas gifts. 
  • 75365 Yavin IV Rebel Base for about $60-70 off on eBay.
  • Some more custom minifigures: Lothal Sabine from BrickDaddyMinifigures and Rebel Kallus and Rukh from BlackMarketBricks. 
  • Various Bricklink and custom minifigure accessory orders, including some Arealight Mandalorian helmets and Firestar Toys printed arms.
  • My first copy of 75372 Clone Trooper and Battle Droid Battle Pack.
  • Finally got one of my white whales: 75021 Republic Gunship used and complete off of eBay. 
  • 715152 Imperial Assault Hovertank used from eBay. This particular listing included a complete copy of the set, and an extra copy of the Hovertank build as well.

On 2/12/2024 at 6:05 AM, rollermonkey said:

Picked up the UCS AT-AT for $153.86

...and $713 worth of points. 

That's... a super bargain!

Recently bought a Lego collection for $80 CAD, out came a lot of parts but most fortunately tons of figures, Star wars, scooby doo, batman, awesome stuff. Some notable things were the Imperial shuttle tydirium figures including it's Endor Rex, the Captain Rex AT-TE clone figures minus Wolff's head for some reason, captain phasma, duel on Naboo Qui Gon, and the 2017 Clone wars Anakin . I also found the 2013 P2 Rex head and Ezra's head in the collection, but none of their other pieces which was weird. There also weren't the builds for the Tydirium or Rex AT-TE which was weird it was like I bought half of the collection missing but I am not complaining! Some nice figs to add to the collection

Got the Tantive hallway minus the Fives fig for almost 50% off the retail price from Marketplace. Not chasing this fig so I'm very happy with that discount.

I ordered the Tantive IV Hallway and R2-D2 earlier, and both arrived today :excited:

Regards,
Mitch

just sold my 75257 millenium falcon to buy the new small one 75375

tho i kept the minifigs to display them with the new falcon

I have absolutely no regrets, I have never opened the falcon to look inside and the new one seems quite detailed enough not to miss the bigger size and I am very happy to get more space for future sets

I was lucky to find the Tantive IV Hallway early. It is a nice set. My son likes the play features. Has anyone had a misprint on minifigures lately? One of the Stormtrooper heads had the eyebrows printed on top of the head. The face looks strange 😐 

1 hour ago, BitByBrick said:

I was lucky to find the Tantive IV Hallway early. It is a nice set. My son likes the play features. Has anyone had a misprint on minifigures lately? One of the Stormtrooper heads had the eyebrows printed on top of the head. The face looks strange 😐 

I spoke about this in another thread but I had this issue as well. I believe I had the exact same stormtrooper issue- was it the white guy? where the eyebrows are printed wrong, though in my case they're printed too far to the right and he looks very quizzical. I also had a larger issue- my vader's lightsaber blade was missing. No real issue for me- it's annoying, but I have a number of spares accumulated over the years. But imagine if your son had gotten my copy- I'm sure he'd be very upset, especially if that's his first vader.

I would highly reccomend emailing lego's customer service, even if you don't ask for replacement parts (this is my plan- I have spares of both and don't want to deal with the hassle of getting replacements.). As @MKJoshA said in the discussion thread, lego needs to be aware of their quality decline. 

I have been looking to try and just get the 25th anniversary figures with their plaques, but seems some folks on bricklink are taking advantage of the days before the figure gets entered into the bricklink inventory to sell fives and malak at 40-80 CAD each! I really hope the prices go down once circulation starts. And speaking of recent purchases, I fumbled big time with hesitating on the 20th anniversary snowspeeder. It had the Lando fig on the stand and also the box and instructions, all for 65 CAD. I hesitated, the ad was up for a few days so I could have thought about it and gone for it but I didn't. And now seeing the price of 20th anniversary Lando online, I regret it. And it's not even that I didn't know this version of Lando costed a pretty penny, it's just that hesitation to spend more than the monthly Lego budget :pir-bawling:

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I spoke about this in another thread but I had this issue as well. I believe I had the exact same stormtrooper issue- was it the white guy? where the eyebrows are printed wrong, though in my case they're printed too far to the right and he looks very quizzical. 

I would highly reccomend emailing lego's customer service, even if you don't ask for replacement parts (this is my plan- I have spares of both and don't want to deal with the hassle of getting replacements.). As @MKJoshA said in the discussion thread, lego needs to be aware of their quality decline. 

MK Thanks for your reply. Yes it was the white guy. The eyebrows look to be missing with what appears to be a smudge on top of the head. Upon closer examination, the smudge is the eyebrow printing but way up top and to the left side. Thankfully no parts were missing. I will, as you suggest, email LEGO and let them know of this quality issue. Especially since mine was not the only occurrence. 

4 hours ago, BitByBrick said:

MK Thanks for your reply. Yes it was the white guy. The eyebrows look to be missing with what appears to be a smudge on top of the head. Upon closer examination, the smudge is the eyebrow printing but way up top and to the left side. Thankfully no parts were missing. I will, as you suggest, email LEGO and let them know of this quality issue. Especially since mine was not the only occurrence. 

Thanks for emailing them. Lego has let their quality control decline. I even sent comparison pictures and they agreed with me that Legos aren't what they used to be. :wacko:

If we, their fan base and consumers don't complain it won't get better.

19 hours ago, PaulPrime said:

Just got 75379 R2-D2. Malak is mine!

Nice!

13 hours ago, Minishark2000 said:

I have been looking to try and just get the 25th anniversary figures with their plaques, but seems some folks on bricklink are taking advantage of the days before the figure gets entered into the bricklink inventory to sell fives and malak at 40-80 CAD each! I really hope the prices go down once circulation starts. 

I dunno if it's taking advantage of them not being logged in the inventory, it's moreso that desirable figures are going to cost a pretty big chunk of change to get right at release. The price will probably drop over the couple of years the set is in production for, so if you're trying to get just the figs I'd wait, but I'd make sure to snap one up by the time the set retires, because I doubt we're seeing Fives or Malak again anytime soon and the price is only going to increase after that.

12 hours ago, BitByBrick said:

No problem. If you want them to, they'll send you a new part for the misprinted one- they've done it in the past for me when I've had helmets printed wrong.

8 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Thanks for emailing them. Lego has let their quality control decline. I even sent comparison pictures and they agreed with me that Legos aren't what they used to be. :wacko:

If we, their fan base and consumers don't complain it won't get better.

Yup! I sent a pretty extensive message to them- I was polite, but just about hit their word/character limit. Explained that I didn't want replacements, but the QC drop and simultaneous price increases are a bad look, and that while I hadn't noticed it until recently, I have purchased significantly less lego over the past year than in previous years. I also brought up- and I don't know if anyone else has been seeing this- the blotchiness and ink misprints on the instructions. Occasionally the newer instructions will have ink blots just on the page where it should be blank, or the lines will be blotted and blurry. Since it's not the actual legos themselves, I hadn't said anything to them before, but it is emblematic of the overall quality decline. I never saw anything like that growing up, but since they switched to the new instruction style a year or two ago I've seen it in about 1 in 10 sets I've built.