Paul B Technic

Tools you use with Lego

Below is a photo of some of the tools I use building, modifying and cleaning my Lego collection, what tools if any do you use?

Paul

LegoTools.jpg

Like everybody else I use a brick separator (I used to use my teeth until I got braces). Sometimes I use a knife to get up tiles or sometimes a pair of pliers. thats all I use mainly but if I want to clean or anything I use a sponge and some warm water just to get the dust up.

Brick separator in case of error.

X-Acto knife to help position/apply small stickers.

Reading glasses to read the instructions.

Brush and blower for dusting.

I use the brick separator also. And I keep my fingernails long enough to help pry off flat pieces. I was using a rag today to dust my modular buildings but I think I need to find something me effective for that.

tweezers for applying stickers, brick separator, thumbnail, one inch paintbrush and artists sable bristle paintbrush for dusting, cheap unwanted christmas gift aftershave (alcohol base) for removing sticker residue and grease.

just used 'Vanish oxy action' stain remover for clothing to clean up some white horses from the 1980's that had yellowed. limited success but they look a lot better. Now cream instead of yellow. I was going to throw the horses out as too damaged by light but decided to experiment with cleaning solutions.

Edited by Brickenhead-town-dweller

I use the brick separator also. And I keep my fingernails long enough to help pry off flat pieces. I was using a rag today to dust my modular buildings but I think I need to find something me effective for that.

You should use those Swifter duster things. I use the ones where you stick the duster cloth on a wand. It works really well, even with a light touch, since dust supposedly clings to the fabric. You should definitely give them a try.

2 brick separators (So I can take apart stuck plates), a minifigure crowbar for taking off plates (yea, LEGO actually designed it to work as a crowbar :laugh:), a toothbrush for cleaning off hard to remove bits of gunk, and some Q-Tips and a small air blower thing for dusting inside the bricks

Yup same tools here too, the brick separator or my teeth on the studs, so I don't damage the sides. X-Acto blade for sticker application or removal. For cleaning I use toothbrush, H2O2, Oxyclean, or soapy water. Oh and time :classic:

I'll add one more tool. I use old credit card/gift card/id card etc. instead of my nail when taking off large amount of tiles.

If it needs to be cleaned, Clorox wipes.

Hard removal? I've yet to buy a brick separator, so I just use my fingers. Many times I've lost parts of my fingernails in the process.

I'll add one more tool. I use old credit card/gift card/id card etc. instead of my nail when taking off large amount of tiles.

Yeah, I used to have some very early tiles that didn't have the indentation around the bottom edge- they were murder to get off! I used to find a 2x2 brick on top of the tile would help give me more surface to grip. Sometimes I'd have to resort to using a screwdriver on those.

I use other pieces of Lego to help with removing difficult pieces, so the Minifig Utensil Spanner / Screwdriver is perfect for lifting up tiles. I have found certain pieces have a very strong grip, I use a Minifig Loudhailer / SW Blaster to remove jumper plates, and a selection of different size bricks which can lift nearly everything with ease. As I have never used stickers yet, the only other tool is a small very soft paintbrush to remove any dust.

I use a brick separator (wish I had another) and sometimes I also use the measuring tool that came with it, but not that often. The measuring tool is nice when moccing sometimes, if you need to make sure that something is level on the other side of a baseplate or something.

This is the package I bought at TRU with the two tools:

toolset.jpg

I need to find a solution for dusting in between studs though. I read somewhere that someone used a little brush with soft hair on it. Maybe I should look for a nice little paint brush or something from the hardware store.

I use a dremel tool, knife, nail clippers, nail file, brasso metal polish, rag, permanent markers, and spraypaint.

-Omi

Well, there is the seperator, a ruler.

Then we get hardcore with a Dremmel and multidrill :devil: Files and wet'n'dry paper, a little brasso and certainly a half decent brush.

No fangled brick separator for me! I use bricks to separate plates, i.e. to separate 2 1x2 plates I'll attach 2 1x2 bricks to top and bottom, allowing me to grip them with my fingers and click them apart. If I have a small plate in the middle of a large plate, I'll use a folded piece of paper to slip under and lift it off. Simple but effective!

I use 'Sticky Stuff Remover' for any problems I have with stickers and the residue they leave behind. It also works well clearing random smudges I've had on new minifigs on occasion.

Best tool for extensive lego building?That`d be quick drying super glue!For cutting open the skin under my fingernails from prying apart a 2x2 plate from the center of a 4x4 plate,down a 4 brick deep hole!

I never seem to remember whenever i'm on lego.com to buy a brick separator :sad:

I usually just use a pen to remove bricks.

Question for the guys who use the Dremel Tool: Do you use any kind of vise or do you just hold the parts by hand?

I use brick separator(s), very long tweezers (8-12") with the tips covered in vinyl and padded, toddler toothbrush, soft cotton cloth, technic pin tool, grabber tool, razor blade.

tweezers - i use for getting into tight spots and for turning minifig heads without disturbing other items

toothbrush - for cleaning parts. i use the toddler one because is is VERY soft and wont scratch (except maybe on chrome) and the head is small to get into smaller areas like inside arches and whatnot.

cotton cloth - for wiping light dust off and for getting fingerprints off tiles without scratching

technic pin tool - a built too for assisting with getting technic pins out and good for pushing down small parts in corners and hard to reach areas

grabber tool - for picking up parts off the floor without having to reach down and risk bumping the table and tossing many more parts to the floor :laugh:

razor blade - for cutting :blush:

... I use a Minifig Loudhailer / SW Blaster to remove jumper plates ...

I will have to give that a try. I have been having trouble getting jumpers off from the middle of a plate or large brick (easy when it's on the edge of course).

Edited by darkdragon