This looks pretty good. I'm glad it can fold up - that is the one feature it absolutely HAD to have. Of course it also has steering and suspension. I don't know if those equipment blocks were stored separately in the real rover though - I thought the astronauts unfolded the chassis and it was ready to drive. I can see how those great big wheels and wheel guards would drive up the price well above 10c ppp, so I'm glad to learrn that RRP is $220 US, not $240. Still, I can't help but feel like at that price they should have included a fabric element for the high-gain antenna instead of just leaving it as unconnected spokes. I mean, the spokes are just the support structure for the antenna - the mesh that would be represented as fabric in Lego was the antenna itself.

I looked up more about the rover deployment and it looks like the set is correct about what equipment was added to the chassis after it had already unfolded. That makes me feel better about it.

Think they’ve done a great job in this. Good mix of looks and “functionality” to me.

Interesting that it picks up on Apollo 17, the last mission.

definitely one to add to the space collection 

24 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Think they’ve done a great job in this. Good mix of looks and “functionality” to me.

Interesting that it picks up on Apollo 17, the last mission.

definitely one to add to the space collection 

Agreed on all counts. Definitely an interesting set. Not 250 euro's interesting though, so I will wait for a nice deal.

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Agreed on all counts. Definitely an interesting set. Not 250 euro's interesting though, so I will wait for a nice deal.

RRP seems to be 220 EUR, and some preorders are up with 187 EUR so it will definitely go lower :) 

1 minute ago, kbalage said:

RRP seems to be 220 EUR, and some preorders are up with 187 EUR so it will definitely go lower :) 

Absolutely. I thought I saw 249 euro, which is pretty steep. I am aiming at around 149 euro to pick this one up.

17 minutes ago, Jim said:

Absolutely. I thought I saw 249 euro, which is pretty steep. I am aiming at around 149 euro to pick this one up.

Same here. I have the definite urge to buy it. :D And eventually the Mars rover, too.

Just now, Jockos said:

Same here. I have the definite urge to buy it. :D And eventually the Mars rover, too.

I already purchased that one. Still in the box. I need to start building more :laugh:

I’ll wait and see what happens to prices, but a definite add for me as I’ve got all the modern NASA sets

This looks interesting, both mechanically, and the looks definitely have the old car chassis vibe, which is cool.

Wonder how the steering works through the folding mechanism, I only see steering links when folded (they look like LBG to me, which would be a new color), and I don't quite see the steering wheel, is it a yoke in the middle? Upon more observation, I think there is a double-folding mechanism; the wheels fold under, then the whole front/rear sections fold up. That's how the steering links get to the outside when folded, while they are on the inside in the unfolded state.

Those wheels also look interesting, wonder what else that's gonna be useful for, maybe motorbikes and large scale buggies? The fender looks really specialized for me, looks like a single piece.

Posted (edited)

Wheel and tire is new(Considering 5L beam on side, it is same size with BMW and Yamaha's rear tire)

64179 5x7 ㅁ frame on white is new(actually released 2023 but that is FLL only so apollo is actual release)

2477 3x5 alternative hole beam on white is new

6536 Technic Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular on tan is rare(last release is 2022)

42003 Technic Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 2 hole on white is rare(last release is 2023 but include only 1 on 1 big set and 2 on FLL set. So actual lase release is 2022)

Surprisingly, compared to the huge number of white parts in this set, the amount of rare parts is quite small.

Edited by msk6003

I didn´t think I would like it but this is probably my favourite of the admittedly shoddy wave so far. You can see where BTTF got their idea for the Delorean from.

@Jim Could you please move the last posts from General Parts and 2024 Set Discussion about 42182 here? Didn't notice somebody created a separate thread here this morning.

I know this will sell quite well. but it isn't for me even with the huge tyres, I like howit folds up and still has steering and suspension however.

This is great!  Lego and NASA did a great job on converting this classic piece of engenering.

And a "day one" buy!

"So there goes the holliday..."

Looks pretty cool! I hope we see those tires in black at some point-they do look fun for buggies!

Seeing the LBG steering links gave me hope that they might be 5L ones, but I'm pretty sure they're still 6s. Rats!

I'm not sure I am going to get this, but I really want to know how the folding works. I can't wrap my head around it, but it's such a cool feature. 

25 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

I'm not sure I am going to get this, but I really want to know how the folding works. I can't wrap my head around it, but it's such a cool feature. 

Maybe this visual explanation helps:
t4Y4LZr.png
aW3RGmE.png

@R0Sch yeah that's great, thanks. So am I correct in understanding there is not locking for the suspension arms, they are just "resting" on the 3x3L liftarms due to gravity? Only the axle subassembly is locked?

2 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

@R0Sch yeah that's great, thanks. So am I correct in understanding there is not locking for the suspension arms, they are just "resting" on the 3x3L liftarms due to gravity? Only the axle subassembly is locked?

The red bushes on the lower control arm also seem to wedge things in place, at least enough to pick it up gently.

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Seeing the LBG steering links gave me hope that they might be 5L ones, but I'm pretty sure they're still 6s. Rats!

Not to mention 4 studs long suspebsion arms with ball joint socket at the end...yes tires are interesting for a buggy, or some kind of offroad vehicle

Now we see how the new C beam has been more or less critical for this steering system to work.

Brilliant design, and brilliant resverse engineering @R0Sch