Black Falcon

21348 Lego Ideas Dungeons & Dragons and D&D CMF

22 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

No I don't believe so there have been short chains before like that. I believe that ball has a hole at the bottom and the stud from the chain is where the ball fits onto.  

Sort of like a combination of the existing short chain piece and the base of the similar tassel piece from Ninjago. Cool!

The figures look great. Now that I see the set on a larger screen, the courtyard space seems larger, especially when you count the studs, so that eases my fear about it being too thin.

I like the updates to the colour scheme. Even in the initial thumbnail pictures, I liked how it all sits together and the impact it has. 

9 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Sort of like a combination of the existing short chain piece and the base of the similar tassel piece from Ninjago. Cool!

At closer inspection I'm thinking its just the standard short chain.

To be honest I am pretty dissapointed. The new door element is cool. The barbarian CMF sword is still sweet. The beholder is very well executed. The rest is of no interest to me. Especially the dwarf looks like a below average kitbash not a special figure with it´s own prints. I can´t see any possible justification for the price.

Will reserve judgement until I see further pics. However I do like the the dragon be detached from the building and is a stand alone build. I hope it won’t be too hard to Figbarf some of the figs to be yellow skinned as I’m not really a fan of fleshies.

4 minutes ago, Pirate_King_1982 said:

I hope it won’t be too hard to Figbarf some of the figs to be yellow skinned as I’m not really a fan of fleshies.

Your only problem will be the female with elven ears. That hairpiece does not exist with yellow ears. The halfling uses the cmf elv hairpiece also in blond. The torso prints are all without flesh showing. The faces can be easily switched.

8 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

Your only problem will be the female with elven ears. That hairpiece does not exist with yellow ears. The halfling uses the cmf elv hairpiece also in blond. The torso prints are all without flesh showing. The faces can be easily switched.

I’ve already planned the conversion of the minifigs to yellowies.

It’s a shame about the elf, but there are other elf hair/ears pieces that are either yellow-eared as sold or that I’ve recoloured with a Sharpie.

As for the halfling, I don’t think of them as having pointy ears and will give it a helmet anyway - I believe it comes with one as an alternative to the hair. I’ll replace the barbarian’s sword though which I reckon is disproportionately large for any minifigure to use one-handed, let alone a halfling.

I need to see better pictures of the displacer beast but judging by the current images, I’m not impressed and will hide it somewhere in the set or exclude it altogether.

The rest seems pretty cool.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

I’ve already planned the conversion of the minifigs to yellowies.

It’s a shame about the elf, but there are other elf hair/ears pieces that are either yellow-eared as sold or that I’ve recoloured with a Sharpie.

As for the halfling, I don’t think of them as having pointy ears and will give it a helmet anyway - I believe it comes with one as an alternative to the hair. I’ll replace the barbarian’s sword though which I reckon is disproportionately large for any minifigure to use one-handed, let alone a halfling.

I need to see better pictures of the displacer beast but judging by the current images, I’m not impressed and will hide it somewhere in the set or exclude it altogether.

The rest seems pretty cool.

Does sharpie work? Would  you mind telling me which brand you use? :) My experience with sharpies were a nightmare.

I allways use Revell emaile colours (for black, brown, tan, light and dark grey) or games workshop ones (for metal). Looks like original.

Edited by Gorilla94

Figures just leaked on Instagram! 

I think I might end up skipping this set picking up a few 31120 to build a rebrickable moc since these figures are much better then the ones in the new set

There is a recipe for yellow paint to make yellow elf ears here: 

Examples can be seen on my Flickr.

They look great, but something feels off. Different rendering software maybe? They look less… shiny than usual? :wacko:

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

They look great, but something feels off. Different rendering software maybe? They look less… shiny than usual? :wacko:

Yup feel the same way. But maybe this is the aesthetic they're going for? 

Apparently it looks that way because it's stolen property, a very early render.

Very nice minfigures, very useful parts. Will be the first CMF series i'll buy in quite some time [EDIT: Now i remember, it's actually not that long ago since the Disney 100 series last year :pir-grin:] . If this turns out to be legit :pir_laugh2:

56 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Isn't it because they are prelim renders and not the final renders?

1 hour ago, Gorilla94 said:

Does sharpie work? Would  you mind telling me which brand you use? :) My experience with sharpies were a nightmare.

I allways use Revell emaile colours (for black, brown, tan, light and dark grey) or games workshop ones (for metal). Looks like original.

A yellow Sharpie works. I’ll provide an image of an example when I’m on a EB compatible device, i.e. not an iPhone.

It only works on light flesh colour pieces.

If you make a mistake, Sharpie comes off very easily with isopropyl alcohol or any hand sanitiser gel that  contains it.

To make the Sharpie permanent, once it’s dry, give it a *thin* coat of Humbrol Satin Cote. It’ll then be harder wearing than LEGO printing.

All those look great.  Looks like 16 new molds.  That's crazy if it's true.  Getting multiple of all of these.  

Posted (edited)

The cmf looks incredible! I especially love all the player characters with male/female swappable faces. That was such a fantastic decision, I would love to see more of that in different LEGO themes with non-character minifigs. I love all the new molds. The Tiefling is my favorite of course. I'm definitely going to use it to create my D&D character.

Edited by ToaDraco

Not really a fan of fantasy or DnD, but these figures look amazing.  I love the bird printed to look like a sparrow.  I love that I can easily swap out the fleshie heads for yellow ones, and I won't even need to change the hands.  There's a couple of good peasant torsos there, too.  The set is a skip for me (the inn is so simplistic), but I do like the design of the Beholder and the dragon, and the "exclusive campaign" is a clever idea.  I wonder if they'll work some building, or even alternate builds, into the campaign to make it feel more Lego.

I was really worried about how the Aarakocra would look and am really pleased that it looks really good (even if the head is a bit to big IMO and it looks a bit toonish). Definitely one of my favourite figures from this cmf. Others I really like are the Dragonborn with a lot of great new pieces/prints and the druid (love the bird). Overall a lot of great new pieces and prints. 

What is it with CMFs leaking months in advance nowadays? We'll have images of whatever is coming in January by July, at this rate!

I don't play DnD, but, wow, these look fantastic! Lots of great details, and it should be easy to swap parts to get them all yellow. I'll be getting at least one full set, though I might try to find a couple of the halfling with antlers - He's probably me favorite of the bunch, along with the bard and the witch in the bottom right. 

Also - is that a new wing piece for not-Eris? If so, it's a shame that piece couldn't have been used for the Harpy... Hopefully it will get recolors in a lot of other sets soon!

18 minutes ago, JohnTPT17 said:

Also - is that a new wing piece for not-Eris? If so, it's a shame that piece couldn't have been used for the Harpy... Hopefully it will get recolors in a lot of other sets soon!

The infos we had before said it would be a new part for the wings of the Aarakocra and I think if they would have done the Harpy now, they would have used it but both Series have 8 months between them, so I think the planning on the Harpy one was to far when they decided on the Aarakocra and it´s wings. Especially since when you decide to do new wings it will still need some time till they are designed and the mould is done.

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

both Series have 8 months between them

Oh, yeah, duh... I forgot about the space series coming out soon, and thought these were back-to-back. Either way, hopefully that mold can get reused and recolored into black and/or grey. 

On 3/16/2024 at 10:36 PM, zoth33 said:

No I don't believe so there have been short chains before like that. I believe that ball has a hole at the bottom and the stud from the chain is where the ball fits onto.  

From the picture from the boxart Iv seen it looks different than the original short chain, where the connection to the ball is behind the stud rather that to the side, but it might just be an optimised pose of the existing chain for the boxart to make it look that way. 

Tasha's book looks to have the spell for 'Tasha's hideous laughter' on a printed tile. And the sorcerer's spell looks to me like magic missile.

The first complete cmf series that I am going to buy. They are great:excited: