Black Falcon

21348 Lego Ideas Dungeons & Dragons and D&D CMF

55 minutes ago, Breakspear said:

Thanks for the hyperlinks, that was super helpful!

Also, glad to hear the good news that the bodies won't include flesh-tone printing, allowing them to support a wider range of customization.

Forgive me for missing it, but where did the no-flesh-tone printing news come from? I hadn’t heard that but it’s very exciting to hear. 

On 2/12/2024 at 5:05 PM, Triceron said:

...and a large skeletal Dragon...

Do you have any pictures of this? I'd love to see how it turned out.

I can't say I love what I see in the blurry leak pic, but I'll wait for more pics before jumping to judgement. As for the CMF series, sounds good to me. I wonder if this is where a stack of unused Vidyo molds ended up :pir-triumph:

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Both

The D&D movie bombed last year

Fortnite is still insanely popular, heck even I picked up for the first time in 5 years and had a lot of fun with friends. It's no where near being washed up. The D&D movie got great reviews but unfortunately underperformed. 

I recently started playing D&D in the past several years after some friends invited us to join their group, so this is cool to see.  I actually am playing a green Dragonborn Paladin currently and use a Lego figure as my mini (uses the CMF Green dragon head and BAM green wizard torso/skirt as the main parts; have some upgrades to armor/weapons sitting in my PAB cart currently).  Also built a dice tower, but have some parts waiting in my PAB cart to get everything aligned from a color perspective.

It definitely sounds like there will be a lot of good parts included that should work for a lot of builds even if not interested in the license.  I probably would've been interested in at least some regardless of if I actually played.

As someone more recently exposed to D&D, but not having much prior knowledge, I was surprised to see there are LOTS of products being made tying into the theme, some being more upscale as well (liquor and candles were two that I read about recently).  Add in all the customized items people buy for their game night (dice, minis, ect...) and the success that Baldur's Gate 3 has been having, I would think that Lego expects these should be very popular.

1 hour ago, SirBlake said:
1 hour ago, Breakspear said:

Thanks for the hyperlinks, that was super helpful!

Also, glad to hear the good news that the bodies won't include flesh-tone printing, allowing them to support a wider range of customization.

Forgive me for missing it, but where did the no-flesh-tone printing news come from? I hadn’t heard that but it’s very exciting to hear. 

Happy to help provide those links! Hopefully those are more-or-less accurate.

The "no flesh tone" means that the torsos and legs shouldn't have any "skin" showing. The minifigs themselves will be a variety of colors, including many flesh-tones minifigs (IE, not all yellow, I think only one of them). However, that should mean that most of the parts will be usable on other minifigs without them clashing.

43 minutes ago, JohnTPT17 said:

Happy to help provide those links! Hopefully those are more-or-less accurate.

The "no flesh tone" means that the torsos and legs shouldn't have any "skin" showing. The minifigs themselves will be a variety of colors, including many flesh-tones minifigs (IE, not all yellow, I think only one of them). However, that should mean that most of the parts will be usable on other minifigs without them clashing.

Yes, I’m aware of that, I was looking for a source. I just found that source on the Reddit thread on legocastles. Pretty exciting!

17 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

Yes, I’m aware of that, I was looking for a source. I just found that source on the Reddit thread on legocastles. Pretty exciting!

These figs are going to be so useful for customs.  I wonder what colors the Aarakocra ranger will be, might be good to go with the Black Falcons might be new mold for head or old chima mold.  The Dragonborn Paladin should have some nice printing.  Githyanki might use the orc hairpiece from LOTR/Hobbit.  The tiefling will probably use the existing mold from the Monkie kid demons, although it says it may be new.  I wonder if the Half-elf will have short or long hair.  The mindflayer head should be a new mold.  The hood with the anter hood piece will be great to have from the druid.  Lady of pain should have a new headress piece.  And might see some new molds for armor and weapons.  

28 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

I wonder what colors the Aarakocra ranger will be

White, according to the leaks.

29 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

The mindflayer head should be a new mold.

Confirmed from the leaks!

30 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Lady of pain should have a new headress piece.

She is apparently getting the one new helmet mold (though lots of new hair/head molds seem to be coming!)

A few other details that have been trickling out, in case anyone wants them:

• The Githyanki, being yellow, will have yellow elf ears. So, hopefully that means it can be used like the CMF elves!
  • The Dragonborn armor is "flat silver, with gold and black printing (black plating details, with gold highlights)," and looks like "the Ninjago Master of the Mountain pauldron, but on both sides and a full chest piece"
  • The silhouette of the dwarf's axe looks similar to Eris', but is a little wider and has a flat top. Gunmetal grey with no design or pattern, with a 4L bar.
  • The mace is attached to a blue 4L bar with a chain, and is "pearlescent-trans." It has an anti-stud on the bottom, and a stud on the top.
  •  Strahd's head is light grey.

Didn't see this coming. Nice rebound for Castle fans.

What MTS?

22 minutes ago, Artanis I said:

Didn't see this coming. Nice rebound for Castle fans.

What MTS?

That’s the Medieval Town Square set :)

The cube accessory the Lady of Pain is holding should be the Cubic Gate 

Assorted Lego pictures

1 hour ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

That’s the Medieval Town Square set :)

I was being facetious

:wink:

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Both

The D&D movie bombed last year

And Baldur's Gate 3 was the most popular game last year, winning a huge number of awards and gaining a lot of praise from its players. While it doesn't have Dungeons & Dragons in its title, it's still a part of this IP.

Dungeons & Dragons is still insanely popular. The movie didn't bomb because people aren't interest in this franchise, but because they chose a poor release date. Not to mention that most movies bombed last year.

For example, we got eight Marvel & DC movies, and only two of them weren't a flop. But it's not weird that LEGO makes sets based on those franchises, is it?

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

And Baldur's Gate 3 was the most popular game last year, winning a huge number of awards and gaining a lot of praise from its players. While it doesn't have Dungeons & Dragons in its title, it's still a part of this IP.

Exactly! I would argue that this is by far the best time for D&D sets. Not only is it the 50th anniversary, it reentered public consciousness thanks to Stranger Things and Baldur’s Gate 3, and while last year’s movie sadly bombed, it received high praise from critics and fans alike :thumbup: It’s by far the funniest film I’ve seen in like a decade. Come to think of it, I don’t believe I’ve ever laughed as hard in a theatre before than with the distraction and graveyard scenes :laugh_hard:

Also, Hasbro and TLG used to be mortal enemies, so this collab wouldn’t even have been possible before the Transformers set :laugh:

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Exactly! I would argue that this is by far the best time for D&D sets. Not only is it the 50th anniversary, it reentered public consciousness thanks to Stranger Things and Baldur’s Gate 3, and while last year’s movie sadly bombed, it received high praise from critics and fans alike :thumbup: It’s by far the funniest film I’ve seen in like a decade. Come to think of it, I don’t believe I’ve ever laughed as hard in a theatre before than with the distraction and graveyard scenes :laugh_hard:

Also, Hasbro and TLG used to be mortal enemies, so this collab wouldn’t even have been possible before the Transformers set :laugh:

Rented the movie two weeks ago because I suddenly felt like rewatching it, and I've rewatched only a handful of movies in the last few years.

Genuinely one of my favourite movies ever. Definitely wouldn't say it's one of the best movies ever made, but I genuinely can't ever remember a movie that's just so rewatchable and simply fun to watch. There wasn't a single joke where I haven't laughed.

A lot of people who have seen it might feel similarly. Sure, it flopped, but that's the fault of the studio (release date) and the general state of big-budget movies in cinemas.

So I completely agree — this is the actual perfect moment for the Ideas set and the CMF series, and maybe even an actual theme.

Now that CMF sounds interesting! While i don't know anything about D&D (apart from what i saw in The Big Bang Theory :pir-grin:) i imagine many of the minifig parts and accessories could be useful for other themes as well. Fingers crossed!

The leaked rough image of the set just got taken down from the Reddit by their legal team... That gains points towards credibility, but also makes me wonder how much they want to keep it under wraps. Most blurry images are fine to stay up unless they're watermarked confidential, but this one seemed to get special treatment...

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

And very clever too. The big set might be out of the price range of many players or felt not needed unless they are an AFOL and a D&D fan.

Yet a cheap entry point in the CMF series, very clever. Players buy CMFs until they get the character they want to use in the game. They get the others for future use or other players or for customising. Their friends see them using LEGO minifigures for their characters, so they get some too. LEGO then becomes a standard for representing characters as they are cheap, relevant and easily customisable. Then players realise they can make nice bases for their characters to stand on. Then they need some bigger brick built scenery. Then they need a brick built dice tower. And they need that big set. And so it goes on ...

35 minutes ago, MAB said:

Yet a cheap entry point in the CMF series, very clever. Players buy CMFs until they get the character they want to use in the game. They get the others for future use or other players or for customising. Their friends see them using LEGO minifigures for their characters, so they get some too. LEGO then becomes a standard for representing characters as they are cheap, relevant and easily customisable. Then players realise they can make nice bases for their characters to stand on. Then they need some bigger brick built scenery. Then they need a brick built dice tower. And they need that big set. And so it goes on ...

There are some people out there that already use Lego for their roleplaying so I can totaly see this happening. In the end Lego has a lot advantages compared to the usual figures and evnviroments used as it is way more cutomizable and changable. I mean you could build a whole playboard with working traps, movable walls and secret passages aswell as customized opponents. I think when you have begun doing so it will be hard to stop ;).

This D&D CMF Series could prove to be more popular than any of the other licensed ones before. The alternative heads and class/race customization alone means that many fans will buy multiple boxes of each, maybe even whole display boxes. I for one will do that. Hopefully the Designers paid close attention to Baldur's Gate 3 and the D&D 5e rulebook. I know of at least one passionate tabletop-er that is infiltrated amongst their ranks, #@grohl ;)

Can we expect the minifigure pieces from the Ideas set to be available on PAB? Or does the fact that it is a licensed theme make it impossible? 

14 minutes ago, Ben S said:

Can we expect the minifigure pieces from the Ideas set to be available on PAB? Or does the fact that it is a licensed theme make it impossible? 

Some stuff from HP has ended up there on PAB.  

16 minutes ago, Ben S said:

Doubt anything specific like unique character heads, but any reused parts for other sets like maybe the mushroom people (already in Dreamzzz) could be put up there.

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

There are some people out there that already use Lego for their roleplaying so I can totaly see this happening. In the end Lego has a lot advantages compared to the usual figures and evnviroments used as it is way more cutomizable and changable. I mean you could build a whole playboard with working traps, movable walls and secret passages aswell as customized opponents. I think when you have begun doing so it will be hard to stop ;).

I'm not knocking Warhammer, but when I compare my Lego addiction.... Lego has advantages!  Swap out a head or cape or flag and allegiances change without getting paint everywhere.  Lego sets and CMF series are strangely a bargain in price.  

Even one of the hobbit torsos from Rivendell ended up at PAB, but overall it is a rare occurrence.

2 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

I'm not knocking Warhammer, but when I compare my Lego addiction.... Lego has advantages!  Swap out a head or cape or flag and allegiances change without getting paint everywhere.  Lego sets and CMF series are strangely a bargain in price.  

Funny enough, Lego was my proxy for Warhammer when I was too young and Warhammer wasn't widely available and quite expensive at the time.  Gotta say, the customizeability of Lego has come a very long way since the 90's!