35 minutes ago, allanp said:

I guess the simplest way to connect those two dots is that there's no new hub, just a new battery that plugs into the existing hub that has an 11.1v lipo rechargeable battery.

I really doubt TLG would use 11.1V battery, I think 7.4V is more probable, just like in the Spike hubs (or an up-regulated 9V as in the Phondly insert). I'd rather be inclined to think that the "most powerful" rumor is not really true, maybe just some marketing phrase. Or if true, I'd rather believe there would be a replacement for the PU XL motor, which is not much more powerful than the L motor.

35 minutes ago, allanp said:

Not likely I know, but given it's lack of love from fans from day one, expense, supposed difficulty adding support for physical remote and lack of development for both hardware and software, I really wouldn't be THAT surprised (and perhaps more that a bit relieved) to see the next system after PU/control+ introduced this year, or a soft reboot of it anyway.

I'm actually with you on this one, would not be THAT surprised :) But not likely..

24 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I'd be more concerned about people connecting 6 XL motors to it and then attempting to run them with maximum load - either it would cut power instantly or it would require pretty robust electronics and I don't think TLG is willing to have either.

Then that concern should be true for the Spike hub itself as well, and yet it exists..

24 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Then that concern should be true for the Spike hub itself as well, and yet it exists..

In principle, yes, but considering how it's marketed, that's less of a concern. Considering it's intended for robotic and programmable applications, most of the time it's not connected to several powerful motors being used simultaneously, but rather it's going to have many low-power sensors connected which leaves plenty of power to motors. I guess it's possible that it also has more robust electronics as it's much more expensive than a C+ hub, though I have no testing data of this.

Maybe TLG saw how far their little PF connector has come since they killed it, decided to do a whole nostalgia thing and bring them back with USB C upgrade. (I know crazy talk, but I can dreamzzzz can't I?)

22 hours ago, Jundis said:

The reviewer just speculates, but in the comments a user name @andynbg seems to be pretty sure about it ;-)

Original text: "Der Volvo ist ein Lkw mit Tieflader und auf dem ist der Bagger mit Pneumatik...."

Ok cool, was not aware of this comment yet :) 

39 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

So there's still hope for the FMX being a tipper, then.

Why? it's a flatbed.

Someone saw it on Nurenberg Toy Fair. At least it's here mentioned in discusion:

Just now, KLF said:

Someone saw it on Nurenberg Toy Fair. At least it's here mentioned in discusion:

I see. Guess I was just hoping against hope.

Hmm I fairly guess it will be such a configuration, although I'd like to have it with a trailer...

der-schwarze-volvo-fmx-lkw-lonnqvist-oy-

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

Hmm I fairly guess it will be such a configuration, although I'd like to have it with a trailer...

As long as it isn't a low loader that snarfs up half the parts, then great.

On 2/7/2024 at 12:20 AM, Jundis said:

But it doesn't have an engine...

That sounds about right, NASA's LRV was battery powered - no combustion engines in space :tongue:

On 2/7/2024 at 1:07 AM, Maaboo the Witch said:

Plus, yet another pneumatic Volvo excavator?

I love the idea of mixing multiple vehicles in the one set, but I'm just so sick of pneumatic excavators. I just want a pneumatic logging semi truck with a crane for heaven's sakes :cry_sad:

On 2/7/2024 at 1:57 AM, AVCampos said:

In some cases, functionality is lost when converting from PU into PF. An example is the Liebherr excavator's app-based reverse kinematics, which lets you tell it where to put the shovel and it figures out the necessary joint angles to do it.

That's technically true, however I'd argue that's quite a minor thing, since it's still perfectly functional without it

16 hours ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

As long as it isn't a low loader that snarfs up half the parts, then great.

PFF naaaaah dude trailers are awesome. Imagine if it were a self-steering trailer as well! Doubtful but I can only hope

38 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

PFF naaaaah dude trailers are awesome. Imagine if it were a self-steering trailer as well! Doubtful but I can only hope

My concern is that a huge trailer snarfing up half the parts would affect the scale of the excavator.

14 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

My concern is that a huge trailer snarfing up half the parts would affect the scale of the excavator.

That is true. I think it's quite possible that the truck will be a flatbed rather than having a trailer, for that very reason.

6 hours ago, Bartybum said:

That is true. I think it's quite possible that the truck will be a flatbed rather than having a trailer, for that very reason.

The last flatbed truck was back when the unimog released no? About time for a new one. 

Another item to note is that the EC230 has an enormous f*ck-off battery pack in the back, so that's gonna take up a fair few parts.

On 2/6/2024 at 6:10 PM, Rudivdk said:

From what I can find about it, USB-C charging port is mandatory in EU for new phones and other rechargeable electronic appliances, by the end of 2024. Guess TLG likes to come prepared in this case.

Can you please list the source of this information?

As far as I can find, Directive (EU) 2022/2380, which comes into effect Dec 28 2024, specifically lists following devices MUST have USB-C port for charging:

"Handheld mobile phones, tablets, digital cameras, headphones,  headsets, handheld videogame consoles, portable speakers, e-readers, keyboards, mice, portable navigation systems, earbuds, and laptops"

I am not a lawyer, but I don't see how any of the TLG products would need USB-C as per this Directive... There is no mention of toys, education devices, construction toys. Also no mention of drones, quadcopters, RC models or any other remote controlled vehicles, etc.

Directive (EU) 2022/2380 text: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2022/2380

10 minutes ago, Ron1 said:

Can you please list the source of this information?

As far as I can find, Directive (EU) 2022/2380, which comes into effect Dec 28 2024, specifically lists following devices MUST have USB-C port for charging:

"Handheld mobile phones, tablets, digital cameras, headphones,  headsets, handheld videogame consoles, portable speakers, e-readers, keyboards, mice, portable navigation systems, earbuds, and laptops"

I am not a lawyer, but I don't see how any of the TLG products would need USB-C as per this Directive... There is no mention of toys, education devices, construction toys. Also no mention of drones, quadcopters, RC models or any other remote controlled vehicles, etc.

Directive (EU) 2022/2380 text: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2022/2380

Ah, so based on that, Lego would have no need to convert an existing hub to USB-C for legal reasons. I guess it's conceivable they might just to look like they're a good, public-minded company that is willing to voluntarily go along with the government's ideals, but that seems unlikely. So, then, if the USB-C rumor is true, it could easily be an all-new hub!

5 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Ah, so based on that, Lego would have no need to convert an existing hub to USB-C for legal reasons. I guess it's conceivable they might just to look like they're a good, public-minded company that is willing to voluntarily go along with the government's ideals, but that seems unlikely. So, then, if the USB-C rumor is true, it could easily be an all-new hub!

Some EU member state have stricter requirements, Netherlands includes electronic toys as well, https://business.gov.nl/amendment/usb-type-c-mandatory-portable-devices/ . So it could just be easier to switch across all regions. I know some companies here in the States have switched their laptops to USB-C charging from proprietary plugs.

Or, the new battery/hub can use the full 240 watts of USB-C for quick charging.

9 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Might be, but could also just be the battery. I guess the lipo would replace both the battery caddy and the lid. Even the "most powerful EVAR!" rumour wouldn't necessarily need a whole new hub, but they would need to upgrade the internal components to handle more amps. 

Pure speculation now, but I'm starting to lean towards PU having undergone (or is in the process of) a redesign, not a whole new system or look as it might not be needed, but a redesign of the internals of the hub, maybe some other changes (maybe to the overall architecture) that make things like better motors, easier and simpler PF style plug and play with default characteristics and a physical controller easier to introduce? The PU technic hub is in theory a PF battery box with 2 PF receivers built in. So they could in theory have default behaviours where you just plug things together and play just like you could with PF. But still we need physical controllers to make it on par. There could also be a new super powerful motor with its own integral motor driver chip, so it doesn't need the hub chip to be upgraded, only a direct feed from the battery and data signals. 

Also consider the small but persistent voice from the convention grounds, particularly GBC builders, for a power supply which can keep going for 12 hours nonstop.

all lego motors should be tube shaped , but have the pinholes extruded so that they are flush with beams,etc that go against the pinholes ,

This allows for the teeth from gears to be closer to the motor, where as if the motor were square, the teeth would catch more likely.

They should also have the port on the motor as well as on the hub so we can choose different cable lengths instead of “taking some slack/excess out" by doing complex routing around the model.

They should also have an output axle hole on both sides (not that hard to do) so that we dont have to route external axles with gears to the back of the motor.

They should of course still be able to work either as a stepper motor, or as continuous rotation via programming.

Edited by SNIPE

All March releases can be browsed trough Bricks and Pieces, yet only standard and widely avialble elements can be ordered. But their quantities are shown, for example, 42171 will have six 3x19 frames.

416480241_415322811021163_29623420139399

37 minutes ago, M_longer said:

All March releases can be browsed trough Bricks and Pieces, yet only standard and widely avialble elements can be ordered.

See https://www.newelementary.com/2024/02/temporary-changes-to-lego-pick-brick-in.html?m=1 for related information:

"The delivery period for any new orders made with PaB Standard has been changed to 45 days. This will likely remain in place until the beginning of March.

The number of elements available in the PaB Standard assortment has also been reduced during this time. Unconfirmed reports from our readers suggest some 5000 elements have been removed.

New elements in sets from September, October and November 2023 will not be added to PaB Standard "until mid-March". However if these new elements fall under the Bestseller assortment, they will be added. We don't know which ones these will be.

The Bestseller assortment remains unaffected."

Edited by mla2

13 hours ago, deehtha said:

Some EU member state have stricter requirements, Netherlands includes electronic toys as well, https://business.gov.nl/amendment/usb-type-c-mandatory-portable-devices/ . So it could just be easier to switch across all regions. I know some companies here in the States have switched their laptops to USB-C charging from proprietary plugs.

Very interesting. Netherlands added electronic toys & smart watches to the list of devices. Though technically this measure is not a law yet - it still needs to pass through both houses of parliament, so wording and/or effective date could change.

Anybody knows about changes to EU USB-C Directive in other EU countries?

Or, the new battery/hub can use the full 240 watts of USB-C for quick charging.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maybe the next EU Directive will demand EV DC fast charging port on mobile devices with 240 kW, not just 240 W :laugh_hard::laugh_hard::laugh_hard: