Mister Phes

[OFFICIAL] 10320 Eldorado Fortress - Available NOW

I, for one, am in disagreement with @zinnn about the color scheme. Regardless of what might have "looked better" I much prefer that they stuck to the nostolgic choice for colors.

2 minutes ago, CommanderJonny1 said:

I hadn't noticed the different torsos until you said something; they look like they're supposed to be somewhere in between the original and 2015 Bluecoats, so :def_shrug:

I get it... it's been 8 years since they printed the last Bluecoat torsos. So, it makes sense to design a new one.

The LEGO Group has changed prints for other themes, like Star Wars, a lot more often. But they've also had a lot more recurring sets in those themes.

18 minutes ago, zinnn said:

- I dislike the ship, looks too blocky, I wish they used different colours for it (definitely ditch the black)

They have mashed the original set together with the Imperial Trading Post. For a similar piece count, they could have removed the ship and used the original rowing boat and done a better build with the extra parts freed up. But I guess they want more individual builds/sections to the set rather than one larger building.

1 minute ago, MAB said:

They have mashed the original set together with the Imperial Trading Post.

Yup, hence the splash of red on the ship. That could've been blue for example.

The more I look at those photos the less hyped I am.

Looks fantastic.

Frankly amazed at the hate it’s getting, I think it looks bright, thematic and gorgeous. 
 Might just be the conspiracy theorist in me, but is the back dock to high for the included boat build? It looks like it’s suited for a larger vessel…

Edited by thewatchman

12 minutes ago, thewatchman said:

Looks fantastic.

Frankly amazed at the hate it’s getting, I think it looks bright, thematic and gorgeous. 
 Might just be the conspiracy theorist in me, but is the back dock to high for the included boat build? It looks like it’s suited for a larger vessel…

Agreed, imperial flagship (10210 version) confirmed :pir-love: (joking obviously)

So after looking at it for an hour i conclude that the set is solely build on nostalgia. There is nothing new to it and it looks rather uninspiring. The castle and Galaxy Explorer were great examples for modern updates of classic sets but everything that makes these sets exiting is missing from Eldorado Fortress. While the white and yellow colors for the walls, together with the splashes of red still look good imo the black of the crane, docks and ship just look wrong. It's nice to see some cloth sails though. But overall the ships looks so simple, it would have been better to not include it at all.

On the positive side, it will be nice that the torsos, hats and hat&hair, etc. will probably all show up on PAB online.

Immediate buy. I love everything about it. The ship is perfect, it's what I have wanted for so long to go with with trading post ships. Lego f****** NAILED IT.

Overall I like the set but I would have preferred if it was a little bit of a better build instead of so close to the old version. I wonder how the ship and all of this will look next to the Barracuda Bay. I hope they are somewhat compatible size wise.

Btw, in the last video on the LEGO website you can see a pirate skeleton hidden inside the build!

4 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

So after looking at it for an hour i conclude that the set is solely build on nostalgia. There is nothing new to it and it looks rather uninspiring. The castle and Galaxy Explorer were great examples for modern updates of classic sets but everything that makes these sets exiting is missing from Eldorado Fortress. While the white and yellow colors for the walls, together with the splashes of red still look good imo the black of the crane, docks and ship just look wrong. It's nice to see some cloth sails though. But overall the ships looks so simple, it would have been better to not include it at all.

On the positive side, it will be nice that the torsos, hats and hat&hair, etc. will probably all show up on PAB online.

This is exactly why lego doubled down on the modern updates, even lego.com has an ad about “nostalgia” and are looking to keep the same almost retro look and they nailed it on this set.

With that said I’ve been obsessing about the lego pictures and realized that this set doesn’t open up, but it’s modular, you can rearrange them like the 2015 sets and that speaks volumes to me, i did MOC’s of the 2015 imperial sets and the Eldorado will make a great expansion to those!!! 

Maybe they had to make it modular after seeing the possibilities of BlueBrixx' governor island et al. :pir_laugh2:

1 minute ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Maybe they had to make it modular after seeing the possibilities of BlueBrixx' governor island et al. :pir_laugh2:

Lololol wouldn’t surprise me, but I’m over the moon now more than ever about the modular capabilities of this set!! Wooooo my PAB orders are going to be insane hahahaha 

My only knitpick is the fact they brought back the blue parrot and not the red one

This set is a beaut. Day one purchase for me, and I rarely buy on day one. It'll also probably be a day one build, even though I have a hefty backlog - I want to have it built before the original is dismantled, to have the two side by side.

Slightly sad I took apart my Barracuda Bay last year, would have been nice to have the two both built.

Oh this makes me so happy. Given that I have two trading posts with ships already, this means I have a solid fleet of the same design of ship. I already have a clipper and custom bigger flapship clipper, so I'm honestly not concerned about that. I have so many Harbour Sentries and Bounty Boats that I can easily have a few rowing around the perimeter. Pirates now have ships and bases to attack, and of course, it's fun to have a remake to compare against the original.

It may not be as original as PoBB, but I'll be damned if this isn't basically exactly what I predicted and wanted.

The little pirate flag is 100% getting replaced though...gotta have the classic design.

4 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

This set is a beaut. Day one purchase for me, and I rarely buy on day one. It'll also probably be a day one build, even though I have a hefty backlog - I want to have it built before the original is dismantled, to have the two side by side.

Slightly sad I took apart my Barracuda Bay last year, would have been nice to have the two both built.

Same! Just what we were talking about the other day.

I have my original up, but I haven't built PoBB yet. It's in the backlog but suffering from a lack of space to display it. So I'm not really sure how I'm going to handle this...

Edited by dimc

10 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

7 minutes ago, dimc said:

Oh this makes me so happy. Given that I have two trading posts with ships already, this means I have a solid fleet of the same design of ship. I already have a clipper and custom bigger flapship clipper, so I'm honestly not concerned about that. I have so many Harbour Sentries and Bounty Boats that I can easily have a few rowing around the perimeter. Pirates now have ships and bases to attack, and of course, it's fun to have a remake to compare against the original.

It may not be as original as PoBB, but I'll be damned if this isn't basically exactly what I predicted and wanted.

The little pirate flag is 100% getting replaced though...gotta have the classic design.

Same! Just what we were talking about the other day.

I have my original up, but I haven't built PoBB yet. It's in the backlog but suffering from a lack of space to display it. So I'm not really sure how I'm going to handle this...

It’s what makes the wait short for me, I just finished the indiana jones sets and have the Harry Potter sets from this year and the Batman returns batcave, my pirate sets are all taken apart at the moment and I feel that it would be the perfect chance to finally rebuild them.  

I always buy retro lego sets day one, the castle last year was a massive hyped up set for me at the lego store! 

I wonder if TLG came up with this idea last year only after seeing several great submissions of Eldorado Fortress on their Ideas contest 90th anniversary "Pirate Theme Celebrations". To me the black also looks bad. Should have at least been dark brown. Or did the Bluecoats carry ebony wood all the way from East-Africa to their island?
It's also logical that from the 8 minifigures half of them had to be female like in 10305 to fulfill the diversity checkbox. Good thing they kept the yellow faces. :pir-huzzah2:

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

:pir-classic:

Dude, you've done me SO FREAKING DIRTY with the topic transfer, I swear :pir-grin: I've been creating a detailed comment for FOURTY minutes describing pros & cons and my feelings about the set — and when I finally submitted it, all of a sudden, the previous topic is closed & the message went into the silent eternity :pir-murder: Talk about a waste of time, lol

What a great looking set! I love the way they've approached this particular version and the modularity of it make it more versatile. It looks good and has some terrific looking play features that my kids (and me) will certainly enjoy. My only initial disappointment was with the ship showing the coloured flags rather than a small Imperial one. Then realized that it's the ship from the trading post, which is neat. But then it's slightly disappointing that there are no merchants to crew the ship. Otherwise, all good.

1 hour ago, brimbolet said:

I suspected the new model would be pretty close to the original, ironically I think it's even too close, nearly a 1:1 copy.

I'm not entirely convinced that Lego should start making remakes; for a small GWP like the Forest Hideout it's ok, but a huge set like this. I don't know. The new Space Galaxy Explorer or Barracuda island were more refreshing, and though heavily influenced by the classic sets, stand on their own. I just hope it's not a new trend on Lego's part. 

I get this, and do like Galaxy Explorer and PoBB. Might have been nice to get this as a true 2in1 perhaps, especially with the inclusion of cloth sails providing some potential options for a larger ship. I hope they do more like that in the future too, but I'm fine with this as it is.

1 hour ago, CaptainMoore said:

I too may have preferred brown docks but it is true to the original and may look more distinct displayed next to PoBB

I wonder if the brown would look odd against the grey rocks? But they've clearly done it for nostalgic reasons, and it would be easy enough to colour swap I suspect. I like the black.

Is there any info on the expected Majisto GWP? That is the only thing that might hold me back from a day 1 purchase, since the Boutique Hotel had the Vintage Car GWP but not for the first few weeks. Getting two nostalgia hits in one go is a major win.

15 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

My only initial disappointment was with the ship showing the coloured flags rather than a small Imperial one. Then realized that it's the ship from the trading post, which is neat. But then it's slightly disappointing that there are no merchants to crew the ship. Otherwise, all good.

Colored flags? Like small Imperial flags?

It would have been nice to get some merchants, but I feel like if you use the old blue torsos with the yellow cross-ties, and the blue and white mariniere shirts with proper hats and no eyepatches, it can look pretty good. Sailors don't need uniforms as much as soldiers do.

17 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

My only initial disappointment was with the ship showing the coloured flags rather than a small Imperial one. Then realized that it's the ship from the trading post, which is neat. But then it's slightly disappointing that there are no merchants to crew the ship. Otherwise, all good.

A solid merchant vessel is probably the most important item in the entire pirate range still missing. With crews, merchants, natives, passengers, animals from expeditions etc... And just imagine ship hulls in different sizes that COULD actually float on water! Now that would be awesome!

6 minutes ago, dimc said:

Colored flags? Like small Imperial flags?

It would have been nice to get some merchants, but I feel like if you use the old blue torsos with the yellow cross-ties, and the blue and white mariniere shirts with proper hats and no eyepatches, it can look pretty good. Sailors don't need uniforms as much as soldiers do.

The small red and yellow pennants, which are from 6277, but I was hoping it was a small Imperial vessel, and so would have a 2x2 printed Imperial flag. Not a problem as it's a trading vessel instead though. Although a missed opportunity for more civillian torsos.

17 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

The small red and yellow pennants, which are from 6277, but I was hoping it was a small Imperial vessel, and so would have a 2x2 printed Imperial flag. Not a problem as it's a trading vessel instead though. Although a missed opportunity for more civillian torsos.

Ah so you mean having the pennants be blue and white instead of yellow and red? That seems like an easy fix, but I realize I may have an entire drawer of pennants to choose from. As well as a few spare small imperial flags, so easy enough to add that to it.

One thing I don't think I've noticed in the comments...it has ladders! It looks like you can get to all of the higher platforms now!

When I used the slider on the website to compare the versions, I noticed that the new one looks a bit smashed. The original had some great forced perspective. The new one looks a bit like a top hat that someone sat on. I think the highest tower needs to be raised by one or two bricks. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

12 minutes ago, dimc said:

Ah so you mean having the pennants be blue and white instead of yellow and red? That seems like an easy fix, but I realize I may have an entire drawer of pennants to choose from. As well as a few spare small imperial flags, so easy enough to add that to it.

One thing I don't think I've noticed in the comments...it has ladders! It looks like you can get to all of the higher platforms now!

No, I meant that I thought it would have a 2x2 flag with an Imperials print (a scaled down version of the larger one on the fort)

2335p04.png

But it's OK not to have that if it's a merchant ship. Although I would have preferred proper merchants on it!

It's nice that it's all nit picking though.

Also, now going to have to go back to the LEGO store and see if they have any more white/black dual moulded legs to give them all boots. I only picked up five a while back, and they're likely going to the crew of the Clipper.