jtooker

VIKING VILLAGE Ideas set via Target vote

Another confirmation that historical themes are still very popular among fans. I really hope Lego decides to make some regular theme (even licensed) in the next 2 years!

2 hours ago, Something_Awesome said:

LEGO mentioned that the Vikings set would be more geared toward realism than what is typical for LEGO Vikings. So we can probably expect helmets without horns. This was on their blogpost regarding the vote. I personally am ok with either type of helmet. Don't care if it's all realistic, all mythical, or a mix.  

Where did you see it mentioned please ? I can't see on the article which announces the winner of the vote.

I hope for 3 new chainmail-torso-prints. Maybe we get the new female viking headgear recoloured. Maybe a new round shield print? The new cmf20-helmet with another colour and print would rock. My dwarfen Army needs to grow xD

2 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Where did you see it mentioned please ? I can't see on the article which announces the winner of the vote.

The initial blog post on the vote. June or July? Should be easy to find.

5 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Oh I started a second thread for this, whoops. 

But it says on the ideas website, and it said on the vote as well. Availablity will be the same as any other ideas project ( except in the USA where it only available from target and Lego shop.com), so internationally.

:thumbup: cool :pir-huzzah2:

8 hours ago, Something_Awesome said:

All we know is that the viking village will be geared more toward realism than myths. So the village won't have vikings with horns on their helmets or dragons/wyverns/serpents. I like Vikings LEGO toys with some mythical flair. But I am also happy to get a more realistic Vikings set. 

How do we know that? I thought this set was getting the full Ideas treatment which means redesign and turn into a Lego set.

I will be glad if it doesn't come with a helicopter.

Edit. Never mind. I see your response in the other thread.

Edited by timemail

5 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

Is there a president for new molds for ideas? Don't get your hopes up.

Yes. Several, actually. They started introducing new molds in LEGO IDEAS with Sesame Street in 2020. The Winnie the Pooh IDEAS set introduced 4 new head molds + the Eeyore piece last year. 

MrBrickHunt] Lego 21326 Ideas Disney Winnie The Pooh | New 2021 | Block  Toys | | Shopee Malaysia

16 hours ago, Something_Awesome said:

The initial blog post on the vote. June or July? Should be easy to find.

The original blog post said "Whilst the original LEGO Vikings were heavily inspired by Norse mythology and fantasy themes, BrickHammer's Viking Village they created is more grounded and rooted in actual history." Although I would note that was simply from the description on the original idea.
Like you I don't care if it's all realistic, all mythical, or a mix, but I certainly wouldn't take that quote as meaning the actual set the release will still be geared to realism - especially for something like a helmet. I don't see them adding Fafnir or anything similar, but I also don't think they will be as worried about the little details.

7 hours ago, timemail said:

The original blog post said "Whilst the original LEGO Vikings were heavily inspired by Norse mythology and fantasy themes, BrickHammer's Viking Village they created is more grounded and rooted in actual history." Although I would note that was simply from the description on the original idea.
Like you I don't care if it's all realistic, all mythical, or a mix, but I certainly wouldn't take that quote as meaning the actual set the release will still be geared to realism - especially for something like a helmet. I don't see them adding Fafnir or anything similar, but I also don't think they will be as worried about the little details.

I wouldn't be surprised if they include a mix of both.

8 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

I stand corrected. I still would not get your hopes up. Of the fifty one Idea sets we have three sets with custom molds:

The lighthouse has another one, anyhow they have recently changed policy on this. Plus they've used loopholes before like with Doctor Who they put the new parts ( hair and Sonic screwdriver) in the dimensions pack first and then reused them for ideas. Also what new part is in the sonic set? The head isn't new it was in the dimensions pack.

This was awesome news.

And can't wait to see the final result. 

Imo it would be nice to see a more realistic approach but pay also homage to "the Vikings" theme. :wub:

On 8/17/2022 at 1:19 PM, Something_Awesome said:

All we know is that the viking village will be geared more toward realism than myths. So the village won't have vikings with horns on their helmets or dragons/wyverns/serpents. I like Vikings LEGO toys with some mythical flair. But I am also happy to get a more realistic Vikings set. 

Granted, we have Viking from the recent CMF series - he doens’t ahve horned helmet. 

Anyways, I’m so glad that we will get Viking Village set! I’m quite excited about it. 

9 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Anyways, I’m so glad that we will get Viking Village set! I’m quite excited about it. 

It'd be awesome if they made this into a line of sets, I'm not thinking a line of Viking sets ( I'd still like that though) but a line of historical settlements. Greek port, Roman Villa, Mayan city, Saxon village, Hunnic encampment, moorish town, ancient Egyptian village , Celtic village, Napoleonic era fortress ( make it a coastal one with some pirates as an enemy faction), a Chandra Gupta era Indian settlement, a Carthaginian ( really running out of words for village) place, and etc.

They could vary in size and scope but all include mostly civilians with a few soilders and a few enemies to fight.

4 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

It'd be awesome if they made this into a line of sets, I'm not thinking a line of Viking sets ( I'd still like that though) but a line of historical settlements. Greek port, Roman Villa, Mayan city, Saxon village, Hunnic encampment, moorish town, ancient Egyptian village , Celtic village, Napoleonic era fortress ( make it a coastal one with some pirates as an enemy faction), a Chandra Gupta era Indian settlement, a Carthaginian ( really running out of words for village) place, and etc.

I'd love something like this.  Napoleon era might be a bit too modern for me, but I'd definitely buy all the rest.  Add an Inuit Village, Incan Mountain Village, Pueblo Adobe Village, Tibetan Temple, Mali Empire Fortress/City, and Persian Empire Town.

Would definitely be cool but doubt it will happen and if it does i doubt it will include enemies to fight againts as Agent Kallus suggested. Can you imagine LEGO doing Incan Village with Spanish soldiers as adversaries? :D

Anyway looking forward to the Viking Village for sure even though after the recent castle i am kind of running out of space.

I hope they will include a recolor of the new winged hairpiece for a viking femame. Maybe red hair

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I hope they will include a recolor of the new winged hairpiece for a viking femame. Maybe red hair

Or include it in CMF or BAM, hopefully.

On 8/20/2022 at 4:42 AM, Agent Kallus said:

They could vary in size and scope but all include mostly civilians with a few soilders and a few enemies to fight.

The way to make this the most profitable, would be to produce this like a modular set of three sets. 1 large 99.99, 1 medium 49.99 and then a 24.99 set. And a Battle pack. I guarantee that will sell off the chain in target.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:42 AM, Agent Kallus said:

Even though I'd love to see some of you ideas come true, it's absolutely unrealistic. If regular castle can't get a subtheme a real historical line is absolutely beyond reach. The Viking set is only possible imo, because it touches the American Anglo-Saxon roots/traditions in some way (the main selling market), probably a Roman/Greek set wouldn't have even reached the voting phase.

1 hour ago, brimbolet said:

Even though I'd love to see some of you ideas come true, it's absolutely unrealistic. If regular castle can't get a subtheme a real historical line is absolutely beyond reach. The Viking set is only possible imo, because it touches the American Anglo-Saxon roots/traditions in some way (the main selling market), probably a Roman/Greek set wouldn't have even reached the voting phase.

I am sure America is a large share of Lego's market but I think you underestimate the interest in the greco-roman era. Even if America doesn't care ( and i think they do) most places have plenty of people who do. Lego made and sold the Colosseum. If you had called any of the other civilizations I'd mentioned niche ( except ancient Egypt of course) I'd probably have agreed but Rome and ancient Greece?

Percy Jackson sold well enough and was written by an American, what about Hercules? Gladiator? 

And I seem to remember the Vikings being enemies of the Anglo-Saxons, so whilst they are ,yes, connected and do share roots and did later somewhat converge. I don't see why you are conflating them. 

And if Vikings touch on Anglo-Saxon connects so should the Romans and indeed the Celts .

Anyway what connects Ninja to Saxons? Nothing? Yeah, so your 'logic' is holding up like cardboard in a thunderstorm. I think the pop culture zeitgeist is the main factor any way but I think a Roman set would sell about as well as a Viking one, especially if there was a gladiatorial arena or the Olympians.

Greco-roman sets have reached the voting stage previously. And there are more than 10,000 non-American ideas users anyway.

'i causam meam consedisset'

On 8/22/2022 at 3:46 PM, brimbolet said:

I also disagree. You had 16,317 vote for the village. I didnt even know about it and i am like a 8 on lego news/purchases person (10 being people who livelihood and one being my 72 year old mother in law who knows nothing of lego other then i have some).

If they can sell 25,000 Copies of a lego set or 25,000 of 3 different sets (at different price points), i think its a no brainer

Edited by natesroom