After what felt like forever I am finally ready to presesnt you my latest MOC: The Nissan 180SX Type X!

1280x853.JPG

Render%204.png

1280x853.JPG

1280x853.JPG

Building Instructions are live now on Rebrickable, no more waiting this time :wink:Rebrickable

The 180SX has always been one of my favorite cars from Japan. I always wanted to build a drift car, and since the 180SX is probably the most popular drift car to ever exist it was a natural choice.

Fitted with a full rollcage, a switch to turn off the HICAS w wheel steering system and a front steering with increased turning radius, ackermann and a positive caster angle this car is sure to be a lot of fun on the togue.

One of my inspirations was the badass Sil80 from Initial D, driven by Mako and Sayuki. The License Plate is a nod to this Origin. I even made the front Bumper easy to remove/replace, In case I want to do a Silvia front swap myself later :grin:

Features:
- working SR20DET fake engine
- 6speed manual transmission with "Safeshift" system
- HoG steering with moving steering wheel. 
- HICAS 4 wheel steering can be turned on or off using a gear in the cabin
- Independent suspension all around
- Pop up Headlights can be controlled using a gear in the cabin
- Opening hood, trunk and doors

One of my goals with this MOC was that every bodypanel of the real car could be built in a different color. My blue+White version has all the spice Type X bits in white color, as it is an earlier 180SX that has been facelifted by the Owner to look like a type X. This was often done back when the facelift came out, because the Panels were easy to swap and not that expensive. That's why you see so many 180SX drift cars with mismatched bodypanels: swapping a "new" panel from the scrapyard is was was easy and cheap.

My use of a lot of system Bricks combined with a lot of details caused a part count of close to 4200 bricks :laugh:

Of course I used Sariel's model scaler once again: http://scaler.sariel.pl/

1280x720.jpg

The transmission and HICAS 4 wheels steering can be seen from below

1280x720.jpg

The rollcage provides a very rigid body, you can pick the car up by the roof no problem :)

Because GoBricks had all the bricks I needed in flat silver I decided to make all the Engine, Piping, exhaust and the Rollcage in flat silver color. Why not?

1280x853.JPG

Due to the many color change requests I recieved for my R32 I made Instructions for 4 different colorscemes this time, and the Black+Orange version can even be built with LEGO only!

Find more Renders of all 4 Versions here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Gray_Gear/gray-gears-nissan-180sx-type-x/finished-moc

1280x720.png

Headlights can either use trans clear 2x4 Tile, or Print/Sticker on black 2x4 tile. You'll get the image for the prints with the instructions on Rebrickable.

I hope you enjoy my MOC, and I am looking forward to your comments :sweet:

Best regards,

Gray Gear

Below you can find some more Pictures.

1280x853.JPG

Spoiler

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.png

1280x720.png

1280x720.png

Edited by Gray Gear

Just great! :drool: Love those "metallic" looking roll cage parts and the engine details.

Just want to add: This was my first car in NFS Underground 2 and I loved it. I hope you also make a red version with black roof.

You know, after watching the video, I think it would be cool if there were some (mini)figures in that scale that can be used as drivers.

Edited by johnnym

How much non Lego parts this model has?

As I understood, only the Black + Orange variant can be built with Lego only parts?
Do you have a picture of the Lego only variant, so we can do some frontpaging?

6 minutes ago, Milan said:

How much non Lego parts this model has?

The Orange LEGO version? None. My Blue+White Version? Quite a few I guess. No idea. I can add some more Pics of the Orange Version if you like :sweet:

In short: The MOC can be 100% LEGO if you want to, but it can also not be. Everyone's preference. I made the Orange/Black version for Purists especially :pir-laugh:

Edited by Gray Gear

Very cool! I love your style of filling in all the gaps while keeping a smooth shape. It might not work so well on stuff with a more complex shape, like modern supercars, but these older enthusiast cars seem cooler to me than newer rich-person cars anyway! I didn't realize how realistic-looking your manual shift lever was, so that's pretty cool to see, and the 4WS system is a great addition too. The amount of detail involved makes this kind of car a superb display model. I really like the red tow hook you added! While I really like the idea of being able to make different body panels different colors, I'm not too impressed with either the dark blue/white one nor the black/orange one. I'm thinking this is because they're so symmetrical, which gives me the impression that the panels were swapped (by the fictional driver) merely for aesthetic reasons, but I don't think it really makes a car like this any more attractive to make it two-tone, so his reasoning backfires on me. What I think would be cooler would be to make the colors more random, as if they have been replaced over time with the cheapest available panel, so maybe a black car with a few panels changed to red, and maybe another panel changed to white. Still, I really like the effort you put in to making this car such a detailed model of a modified enthusiast car!

That is an amazing build! Instantly recognizable, and seems true to scale. I especially like the rear end!

Very nicely done!

_ED_

The bodywork looks so good!  I like the linkage holding the hatch in the up position- it is a nice little touch.

Beautiful design and excellent integration, I hardly can imagine how much work you put into this. The attention made on every detail is impressive. Usually, a LEGO model is either Technic or not, but this one seems to picture something like a new genre, maybe "Technic inside, Creator Expert outside"?

Really great model! 

Edited by Celeri

Wow... lots to say about this build.  All good things :classic:

I have complained about color vomit for such a long time.  I understand the reason for it, but it can, at least IMO, decrease the building experience.  I love that you took the time and effort to limit such color vomit.  And the flat silver pieces look great!

The whole chassis looks clean, driveline clear and not unnecessarily encumbered. 

The bodywork is fantastic.  I know there is alot of system parts, but even the technic panels are meticulously placed.  Very well done.  TY for sharing.  

Beautiful build. I find the shift most intriguing because you have the classic "+" shape for the shifting and not a simple linear forward and backward, and you seem to have fit it into a small space.

Great to see this finally finished! The functions and details are top notch, the amount of time and effort you put in the model definitely shows in the finished product. The way you merge system and technic so well is something that you do best, I haven't seen any one else do that with such effectiveness. But with all the details it would be nice to see some transparent pieces in the side mirrors.

I'm surprised no ones whinged about the beam stacking yet, which seems common place on this forum... But I personally think you get away with it considering the sheer amount of system pieces.

All the flat silver looks great, and adds a special touch. However I don't really like the 2 tone versions very much at all. I much prefer the look of the all black and yellow renders. Would love to see an all dark blue version without the white. Regardless I appreciate you finally making a version that can be built out of pure lego. 

Well done and thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Amazing model! I really appreciate the mix of Technic and Creator Expert building this car has, the rollcage and engine/turbo look magnificent! (Even though you have to cut a hose to make the turbo)

Have you ever considered making an RC/BuWizz Technic car yet or do you prefer static cars with detailed gearboxes instead?

Great job with this build @Gray Gear. The integration of the technic and system parts is very well done, and I can tell you spent a lot of time to get each part and placement just right. The transmission is very well executed. 

I love the role cage as well. This is a great detail. Thanks for making instructions available. I know how much is work it is to make those, so thanks for putting them together.

The usual "great job, period" would not do justice to this tremendous MOC. Your building style is let´s say very individual and unique but overall consistent. Filling all the gaps by system bricks is a risky balancing act, but it doesn´t disturb the look here. One can really feel all the passion and dedication invested. Although the car itself is not my cup of tea, huge respect to the faithfull interpretation with such high attention to details! Most of all I love these nice sporty seats. Anyway I´d like to see the use of more Technic panels instead of beam stacking. The rollcage looks kind of overdone to me, it could look more elegant. But all that said, it´s still a design on highest level, created to your own preferences which I appreciate very much :thumbup: :thumbup:!

Edited by brunojj1

Absolutely amazing job with this again. This is definitely my second favorite model of yours after the R32. The fact that you managed to cram the mechanism for the gearbox and 4 wheel steering is absolutely incredible. I'm no Technic MOCer but I do buy a lot of Technic sets, but this beats all of them. I can see why some people think the design is very controversial mixing lots of system and beam stacking with regular technic, but I think it makes the car look 100% better in terms of accuracy for the model. As usual, my favorite part of car builds, the engine look phenomenal and the Technic pistons add a lot of realism to it.

Im very excited to see what comes next. An R34 GTR would make my day, I definitely think the skill and functions are all there. Good Luck!

Thank you all for your nice comments!

I know the way I build my bodywork is very untypical. With every car I build more and more system bricks have started to creep into the bodywork. I know that using system in a technic bodywork is a dangerous thing to to, as it can look weird really easy. But to me this build is confirmation that mixing system and technic is the way to go for me.

@2GodBDGlory I already thought you'd be a dit disappoited with the colorsceme, expecting a more damaged, used looking car. It is possible to make every panel of the real car a different color on the model, but I didn't make instructions for it as I didn't think it would be very popular. My Initial idea was what i did, an older 180SX upgraded to the new type X stuff in white color to make it stand out. There quite a few cars like this that "Just need a paintjob bro". I really enjoy the look, but I know this is controvercial already. I even thought of making the car Pink+White lol, but I decided against it (looking back, thank god lol)

@nerdsforprez Regarding color vomit we seem be alike. I even made sure there were no pins visible on the outside of the body bacause there are no pins in dark blue, and having differently colored pins in my bodywork is a no go for me. Why the F can I get pins in flat silver but not in dark blue? Damn.

@langko Yeah the two tone is not for everybody. That's why I made the yellow version, so everybody can have a clean version too, and recolor it on RB themselves without my help.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:35 PM, StudWorks said:

(Even though you have to cut a hose to make the turbo)

Thx m8. Is cutting pneumatic tubing or rigid hozes something illegal? I am pretty sure at least for the pneumatic tubing there were official LEGO instructions telling you to cut the tubing in the correct length? :wink:

@Thirdwigg Yeah making the instructions took forever. But to my suprise making Instructions for 4 different color variations wasn't as much additional work as I thought it would be. I might do this again in the future :classic:

@brunojj1 I have read your opinion on the rollcage before, and I agree that the liftarms are not as good looking as a rollcage made with connectors instead. But to me the ablility to pick the car up by the roof with one hand, without any bending or any worries is just so pleasant when handling the cars that I gladly accept that compromise.

I really Like the seats too, I used this Piece 85940.pngfor the sides of the seat, which is something I wanted to try for a long time :grin:

@OnyyX Yeah I also think regarding the engine and piping I have improved again. I especially like how you can see the intercooler piping curving back into the engine bay from the front :grin: These kinds of details are what brings a MOC to life imo

Regarding the R34 I heard you. And you are not the only one who has asked me that :laugh: 

I am thinking about it. There is a different 4wheel steering system in my head I'd like to try, and the R34 is one of the few cars that would meet the requirements. I am not promising anything, I still havent made any prototypes. The headlights are looking especially problematic to me, but we'll see.

Honestly I'd rather do an EVO IX, but that car has so many problems I have no solution for that is seems pretty unrealistic :sing:. I'd rather not build a car at all than to feel that I haven't done justice to the stunning beauty of the real car.