MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

29 minutes ago, cosmic said:

This tank must be based off the Clone Wars no? Mace has arm detailing like that in the show but not in any movie appearance I can think of. Maybe it’s one of those Legends sets?

The Fighter Tank never actually appeared in TCW itself, although it showed up in other media and merchandising around the show, so they're often associated. This set is drawing from a mix of sources. The tank is based primarily on its single canon appearance in the 2017 Battlefront II (hence the flat sides and simpler front than the Legends version). Windu is based on his TCW appearance, as you noted, and the clone troopers were created by Hasbro back in 2006 (or at least introduced to the public by Hasbro; some of that material was based on designs that didn't make it into the movie, and I don't know whether the 187th was their creation or not) but haven't been used in that appearance in any in-universe sources.

11 hours ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

If you don’t count the one from Duel on Mustafar, the last Revenge of the Sith or Clone Wars Anakin without a headset came in the Coruscant Police Gunship in 2014. 

And the last time we got Episode 2 style Anakin was in Anakin’s Custom Jedi Starfighter in 2015.

Yeah, I'm not counting that one. While he could be used for a moody light side variant he clearly leans more Darth Vader in his expressions, if you get me? 

But wow, 2014. We're definitely overdue a new one! 

3 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

This set is drawing from a mix of sources. The tank is based primarily on its single canon appearance in the 2017 Battlefront II (hence the flat sides and simpler front than the Legends version).

Apart from the 2 big smooth slopes used for the sides of the cockpit, the overall design looks much closer to the classic Pandemic/Lucasarts design than the newer Dice/EA one. The front of the cockpit, the green striping on the slope above the cockpit, 2 antenna, panel detail on the guns and the intakes/missile launchers on the sides all match the older design.

19 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Like MandalorianKnight said, Windu and many other Jedi in TCW wear clone trooper gloves and bracers. That’s exactly what they look like. Don’t you think it’s kinda harsh to say that something looks bad if you don’t even know what it is they’re representing?

It was a rhetorical question statement. I just think they look bad.

What they should have done is make them like they did the arms of the Marvel collectable minifigures Wanda, bottom half white (and with white or brown hands, not black) and then put the print over the underarms like they did with Gamora’s arms. Now thát would have a proper representation instead of this half-baked thing that makes it look from the front & back as if Mace’s bracers have shrunk in the washing machine. Maybe my standards are too high though.

17 minutes ago, TBD said:

Maybe my standards are too high though.

They are :tongue: Arm printing is already a rare commodity in regular sets. Combined with dual-moulding even more so, that’s an exception and not the rule :grin: 

16 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

They are :tongue: Arm printing is already a rare commodity in regular sets. Combined with dual-moulding even more so, that’s an exception and not the rule :grin: 

Exactly. he's comparing the quality of a CMF series to that of a regular set.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the TX-130 tank. It's been simplified for the price point and age range, but the length is bang on for UCS-scale (3 s/m) at 24 studs / 8.2m. 

5 hours ago, TBD said:

What they should have done is make them like they did the arms of the Marvel collectable minifigures Wanda, bottom half white (and with white or brown hands, not black) and then put the print over the underarms like they did with Gamora’s arms. Now thát would have a proper representation instead of this half-baked thing that makes it look from the front & back as if Mace’s bracers have shrunk in the washing machine. Maybe my standards are too high though.

The black hands are accurate, since the Jedi who wear the clone gauntlets at the start of the war also wear the black clone gloves.

The tank (unsurprisingly) looks better in the new images. I still think it's a tad too expensive, so I will probably get one once it goes on sale. The highlight for me (and I think almost everyone else here) has got to be the new Mace and clone figures, they all look really good. I was really expecting to get the UCS Gunship version of Mace in this set, but I much prefer this new one so it's no skin off my back. 

5 minutes ago, Meadius said:

The tank (unsurprisingly) looks better in the new images. I still think it's a tad too expensive, so I will probably get one once it goes on sale. The highlight for me (and I think almost everyone else here) has got to be the new Mace and clone figures, they all look really good. I was really expecting to get the UCS Gunship version of Mace in this set, but I much prefer this new one so it's no skin off my back. 

The box art pics do look much better, but it looks significantly worse than even the first image when viewed from any head on angle. With that size of platform, the hull desperately needed to be 8 studs wide.

I'm still not sure why everyone says the quotes sets are so overpriced. Frankly, they're about the usual PPP or even better than most Star Wars sets, have exclusive minifigures (for two of the sets), and, while they aren't huge, aren't a bad size either. I get that a lot of parts go into the base, but still. 

looking at the republic tank review it looks both good and kinda bad from certain angles. My main gripe has actually become a gap between the front angled part and the x-wing canopy. I understand that there needs to be something to hold the canopy in place, otherwise it would swing inward and would be hard to pull out but on the other hand, the gap is noticeable and does not help to promote the look of the build

Edited by Alpha Draconis
typo

21 minutes ago, Alpha Draconis said:

looking at the republic tank review it looks both good and kinda bad from certain angles. My main gripe has actually become a gap between the front angled part and the x-wing canopy. I understand that there needs to be something to hold the canopy in place, otherwise it would swing inward and would be hard to pull out but on the other hand, the gap is noticeable and does not help to promote the look of the build

I 100% agree. That gap is rather unsightly. Overall, the figures and build look good. Still probably will wait for a discount. 

Watched a prerelease review of the premium version and the Luke polybag has instructions with a set catalog dating from 2019. :laugh:

21 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The Fighter Tank never actually appeared in TCW itself, although it showed up in other media and merchandising around the show, so they're often associated. This set is drawing from a mix of sources. The tank is based primarily on its single canon appearance in the 2017 Battlefront II (hence the flat sides and simpler front than the Legends version). Windu is based on his TCW appearance, as you noted, and the clone troopers were created by Hasbro back in 2006 (or at least introduced to the public by Hasbro; some of that material was based on designs that didn't make it into the movie, and I don't know whether the 187th was their creation or not) but haven't been used in that appearance in any in-universe sources.

It is weird how often the tank appears in connection to TCW. I can think of at least 3 merch for it that had it as part of TCW, and I don’t think it was ever supposed to be in the show.

although I do think this is the legends design. The canon one is much shorter and stockier in the cockpit.

16 hours ago, TBD said:

Yes. CMFs use a slightly different plastic, and are almost higher quality in terms of print and molding than standard figures, with almost all of them having dual molding or arm/side leg printing and new molds nowadays. Look at the marvel CMF: 9/12 of them have arm printing, whereas it’s a rarity for standard figures. Even then, the detailing is different. A good quality of print example is between the 2021 system set comic and CMF “zombie hunter” spideys. Standard system one has consistent issues with the red-on-blue arm print, which I’ve never seen reported on the CMF one.

So I suffered through MandR's obnoxiousness to watch his review of the new Republic Fighter Tank. It looks a lot better in person but it still pales in comparison to the previous 2 and it still looks like a giant cow head from most angles. From the front and looking down at it from a slight angle it looks fine but man, it's rough. Also the interior and several parts of the build are bizarre and could have been done far, far better. The figures make it all worth it though, I mean when was the last time we got a Clone Wars era Jedi that looked this good and came with his Clone Commander and 2 regular Troopers of his legion, not to mention a couple clankers for them wreck!? More of this please LEGO(maybe a shirtless Kit Fisto with some Scuba Clone Troopers?)! really, really love the arm printing on Mace and the purple on the troopers really pops. Such a shame such beautiful designs aren't canon. Maybe someday they'll get justice and become canon in a game or series or comic...

Edited by ToaDraco

12 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I'm still not sure why everyone says the quotes sets are so overpriced. Frankly, they're about the usual PPP or even better than most Star Wars sets, have exclusive minifigures (for two of the sets), and, while they aren't huge, aren't a bad size either. I get that a lot of parts go into the base, but still. 

I for one think this set is perfectly priced. The detailing on the figures, the amount of figures, the bold choice to use non canon representations of something Hasbro made up, the build itself plus accounting for inflation, I am not mad at all to be paying $40 for this. Certainly no more but I think the price is perfect.

18 hours ago, TBD said:

I see what you mean and initially had my reservations for the new Mace. However  looking at a review video he looks just fine for me I think pictures may not have done him justice. If anything the lack of side leg printing stood out to me more than the arm detailing and I managed to be fine with both.

9 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

I 100% agree. That gap is rather unsightly. Overall, the figures and build look good. Still probably will wait for a discount. 

you know what gap I was focusing on in this set? The hips. I certainly understand that sets won’t have cmf level detail, but boy I sure do wish we got hip printing more often. Not just for this theme.the white gal on the troopers between the torso and leg detailing could have been transitioned by printing their pouches on their hips where they belong. This is also true and an issue for the bat family and their utility belts over at DC being printed on their stomachs. I can forgive it based off how much I like the rest of this set but moving forward would like to see them print on hips again, not sure why they don’t do it more but am fairly certain they have in the past.

10 hours ago, MAVERICK26 said:

Watched a prerelease review of the premium version and the Luke polybag has instructions with a set catalog dating from 2019. :laugh:

Where did you find that? I would love to see it too!

8 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

So I suffered through MandR's obnoxiousness to watch his review of the new Republic Fighter Tank. It looks a lot better in person but it still pales in comparison to the previous 2 and it still looks like a giant cow head from most angles. From the front and looking down at it from a slight angle it looks fine but man, it's rough. Also the interior and several parts of the build are bizarre and could have been done far, far better. The figures make it all worth it though, I mean when was the last time we got a Clone Wars era Jedi that looked this good and came with his Clone Commander and 2 regular Troopers of his legion, not to mention a couple clankers for them wreck!? More of this please LEGO(maybe a shirtless Kit Fisto with some Scuba Clone Troopers?)! really, really love the arm printing on Mace and the purple on the troopers really pops. Such a shame such beautiful designs aren't canon. Maybe someday they'll get justice and become canon in a game or series or comic...

His clone commander? It’s an airborne clone trooper that didn’t even exist from Hasbro that Lego made up and just assigned the “commander” title to. 

I might have gotten this set if it had come with Mace’s Burgundy troops from Season 7 or Ponds and 2 91st Reconnaissance Troops. Although even then, I’m holding off on buying any sets with clones in it right now because I think the current designs look so bad compared to the ones from a decade ago that I’m waiting until a few years down the line when they don’t look so terrible. (with the inaccurate clone commander colour, weird cartoon stylized chest curves, lack of silver on the P1 visors, the weird grey cheeks on the P2s)*

*Benefits of the new clones include leg printing and accurate faces, but I still think they could be so much better by even doing things they did 10 years ago. And in the future maybe we’ll get arm printing for the coloured shoulders of clones from the Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith.

8 hours ago, cosmic said:

you know what gap I was focusing on in this set? The hips. I certainly understand that sets won’t have cmf level detail, but boy I sure do wish we got hip printing more often. Not just for this theme.the white gal on the troopers between the torso and leg detailing could have been transitioned by printing their pouches on their hips where they belong. This is also true and an issue for the bat family and their utility belts over at DC being printed on their stomachs. I can forgive it based off how much I like the rest of this set but moving forward would like to see them print on hips again, not sure why they don’t do it more but am fairly certain they have in the past.

It is weird that they never do hip printing for Clones or Stormtroopers (except that one time in 2005) despite the fact that every First Order Stormtrooper has hip printing, and Han Solo has had hip printing since the start of the theme in 1999.

Edited by QuiggoldsPegLeg

2 hours ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

His clone commander? It’s an airborne clone trooper that didn’t even exist from Hasbro that Lego made up and just assigned the “commander” title to.

Hasbro’s ‘Mace Windu Attack Battalion’ set has the airborne trooper as the commander. 

I’ll definitely buy a couple tanks for a decent collection of 187th probably won’t build more than one tank though.It does look okay from certain angles but those slopes make the whole front like look like it’s all just the nose when it should have two wide “cheek” sections which really throws me off.Same for the canopy itself it looks good from certain angles but looks weird from others especially with the gap on it ,the piece works and doesn’t.2017 is still my favorite by far its small but it does what it needs to do.

Edited by Displayedaction

Not exactly a rumor but did everyone see the Aurra Sing from the new game? I definitely think Obi Wan and Anakin looked terrible in clone wars print (Dooku as well) but am fine with my Sugi and Aurra Sung figures. They’re not that bad imo. However that new face design for Aurra would be great to see in a set, would love to see that made one day.

Sugi and Embo would be nice to get updated as well its unlikely but I saw Big Kid bricks has an amazing design for her with an appropriate head piece and leg printing. While some may think “Aura is possible cause she was a background character for the Phantom Menace” and “Sugi and Embo were only in the clone wars and not for a long time” so it may be unlikely to get updated versions of them, but a guy can certainly dream. However even if we don’t, I’m happy with the figures that came in my bounty hunter ship. 

That said the new design for Sing is really nice and I would love to see her produced (maybe they can give us new podracers/ Anakins Mom/ Sing in a set??). I love the 2011 speeder set and would love if Lego made a new speeder for one of the other racers, either in place of Anakin or Sebulba, and it’d be the perfect set to get her in.

Edited by cosmic

Love the new Republic Tank. The scale strikes a nice balance between not being as oversized as the original, but not being as small as the 2017 either. The new Mace Windu looks awesome with the printed gauntlets and makes me hope they revisit other characters like Anakin and Obi-Wan based on their Clone Wars appearances. Don't care if the purple clones aren't officially canon - they look amazing and can't wait to get them!

All three quote sets look amazing as well. Its about time they updated the Stormtrooper design so that its on the same level of detail as the First Order and Clones, and the back printing on R2-D2 looks fantastic. Shame the dual molded C-3PO is exclusive to the Landspeeder but I appreciate the increased level of detail with the arm printing.

13 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Not exactly a rumor but did everyone see the Aurra Sing from the new game? I definitely think Obi Wan and Anakin looked terrible in clone wars print (Dooku as well) but am fine with my Sugi and Aurra Sung figures. They’re not that bad imo. However that new face design for Aurra would be great to see in a set, would love to see that made one day.

Sugi and Embo would be nice to get updated as well its unlikely but I saw Big Kid bricks has an amazing design for her with an appropriate head piece and leg printing. While some may think “Aura is possible cause she was a background character for the Phantom Menace” and “Sugi and Embo were only in the clone wars and not for a long time” so it may be unlikely to get updated versions of them, but a guy can certainly dream. However even if we don’t, I’m happy with the figures that came in my bounty hunter ship. 

That said the new design for Sing is really nice and I would love to see her produced (maybe they can give us new podracers/ Anakins Mom/ Sing in a set??). I love the 2011 speeder set and would love if Lego made a new speeder for one of the other racers, either in place of Anakin or Sebulba, and it’d be the perfect set to get her in.

Haven't seen her design from the new game yet, but I'd love to get a new Aurra Sing figure that doesn't come with an animated face print. Unfortunately sets from TPM and TCW are both fairly rare these days that I don't expect to see her revisited anytime soon. I think her best chance at a new figure would be if she shows up in either Lando or the Bad Batch season 2.

Republic Tank is up on the website - one aspect that I think is being overlooked in the criticism of the build is that it's listed as a 7+ set - as was the often maligned AAT. Most recent playscale vehicle builds are 9+ (with a few exceptions like the TIE fighter and Imperial Maruader at 8+). Taking the age recommendation into account makes a few of the design choices like the large side slope pieces and the bulky side cannons make a lot more sense. And I still think using the X-Wing canopy on the front is inspired parts usage.