MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

This set is absolutely beautiful. Love it.

The interior is much bigger than I would've thought, and it's finished ot the last touch. Amazing.

13 minutes ago, Gremer2 said:

Can anyone figure out the approximate dimensions based on the leaks?

From measuring based on stud count based on the 6x6 round plate below the body it is around 56 cm / 22 inches high and 72cm / 28 inches long. 

Definitely nice looking, feels like the sandcrawler, kinda a hybrid UCS/MBS. Can look good as a vehicle, but also play features. That being said, easy enough to pass for $800, I am happy with my plus size AT-AT, but I am sure I is harder to resist in person.

In response to some of the criticisms of this set, I think some of you are overlooking that this is as much as an expensive play set as it is a display set. The interior is meant to be played with. True, a kid may have trouble with the legs given the overall weight of the set (we’ll have to wait and see), but I think the idea that this is totally playable as a stationary walker/base that deploys troopers, attacks from range, and gets attacked by snowspeeders.

4 hours ago, TheWineNut said:

From measuring based on stud count based on the 6x6 round plate below the body it is around 56 cm / 22 inches high and 72cm / 28 inches long. 

Huh. That seems kind of small for an $800 set. It's only 4.5 inches taller than Raskolnikov's and of course most of the height is made up of empty space between the legs.

4 hours ago, TheWineNut said:

Did not calculate length, but I did calc what a minifig-scale AT-AT should be height wise. Was an easy calc. Should be 21.5 to 22.5 inches tall. Somewhere in that range (forget exactly). So I think it is safe to say this is truly minifig scale. We can now have an idea of what it would be like to stand in front of a life-sized AT-AT lol.

3 minutes ago, Gremer2 said:

Huh. That seems kind of small for an $800 set. It's only 4.5 inches taller than Raskolnikov's and of course most of the height is made up of empty space between the legs.

LEGO sets have to be made in a way where they are reliable and do not fall apart easily. And the set you mention I think has static legs. And 4.5 inches taller is a big difference. And if you made it bigger, it would not be minifig scale. 100% nobody wants a AT-AT set that is bigger than minifig scale.

7 minutes ago, Something_Awesome said:

Did not calculate length, but I did calc what a minifig-scale AT-AT should be height wise. Was an easy calc. Should be 21.5 to 22.5 inches tall. Somewhere in that range (forget exactly). So I think it is safe to say this is truly minifig scale. We can now have an idea of what it would be like to stand in front of a life-sized AT-AT lol.

LEGO sets have to be made in a way where they are reliable and do not fall apart easily. And the set you mention I think has static legs. And 4.5 inches taller is a big difference. And if you made it bigger, it would not be minifig scale. 100% nobody wants a AT-AT set that is bigger than minifig scale.

Believe me, I understand the whole thing about stability and all that. I was just kind of expecting a set with 2.5x as many pieces to be a bit taller than an extra 4.5 inches. Though I didn't consider the fact that it is actual minifig scale, that redeems that. 

Also, sidenote, Raskolnikov's does have moving legs. 

The UCS AT-AT is gorgeous. I see a lot of people complaining about the uncovered studs but in my eyes, that helps the build retain the Lego aesthetic. The interior looks amazing, and like @Childish_Landinopointed out, it looks very accurate to how it does in-universe.

The amount of figures is a bit surprising but as someone who has all of them from last year’s AT-AT, it’s good to get extras of most of them. The dual molded legs on Veers here is nice and I’m curious to see if they changed the Snowtrooper hand color again.

I still don’t have the UCS Falcon or Star Destroyer so this set is definitely a long way away but I’ll definitely get it at some point. It might even be my favorite of the three.

2 minutes ago, Gremer2 said:

Believe me, I understand the whole thing about stability and all that. I was just kind of expecting a set with 2.5x as many pieces to be a bit taller than an extra 4.5 inches. Though I didn't consider the fact that it is actual minifig scale, that redeems that. 

Also, sidenote, Raskolnikov's does have moving legs. 

My mistake. I must have been thinking about Caglvegod’s. I now know which build you are talking about.

2 minutes ago, The Stud said:

The UCS AT-AT is gorgeous. I see a lot of people complaining about the uncovered studs but in my eyes, that helps the build retain the Lego aesthetic. The interior looks amazing, and like @Childish_Landinopointed out, it looks very accurate to how it does in-universe.

The amount of figures is a bit surprising but as someone who has all of them from last year’s AT-AT, it’s good to get extras of most of them. The dual molded legs on Veers here is nice and I’m curious to see if they changed the Snowtrooper hand color again.

I still don’t have the UCS Falcon or Star Destroyer so this set is definitely a long way away but I’ll definitely get it at some point. It might even be my favorite of the three.

I 100% agree. I like Studs. I like that the UCS Slave 1 also has studs. The LEGO aesthetic has charm to it to be sure.

Considering I've wanted the Falcon since it's release and have yet to be in a position where I can comfortably part with the money for it, I think it's safe to say I will probably never buy this set. 

I will however go and longingly stare at the finished set in its display case at the Lego store the next few times I visit Liverpool :pir-love:

Very imposing, and I'm intrigued by the leg mechanism. Can't wait to see that in action in the reviews. 

4 hours ago, The Stud said:

The UCS AT-AT is gorgeous. I see a lot of people complaining about the uncovered studs but in my eyes, that helps the build retain the Lego aesthetic.

I agree. I've never quite understood the desire for everything to be smooth and tiled off. Sure if looks nice and clean in it's own way but to me it doesn't look like Lego. Also I think in the case of an AT-AT the studs work and add something to the roughness of the exterior hull. Now on the other hand if this were a UCS Naboo Royal Cruiser I could make an exception...

37 minutes ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I agree. I've never quite understood the desire for everything to be smooth and tiled off. Sure if looks nice and clean in it's own way but to me it doesn't look like Lego. Also I think in the case of an AT-AT the studs work and add something to the roughness of the exterior hull. Now on the other hand if this were a UCS Naboo Royal Cruiser I could make an exception...

I’m definitely in the camp of smoother looking end product. I will absolutely be modding mine with extra tiles. There is no way to 100% conceal a Lego set due to certain pieces always having exposed studs so I think even with max coverage there are always giveaways that it’s a Lego model. That is enough for me

• *set is smoothed over with tiles* „This doesn‘t look like LEGO!“
  • *set has studs showing* „This looks like a blocky, ugly mess!“

Hard to please everybody :tongue: For me, this isn’t about principles and instead solely depends on the model. Some look better with, and others without studs 

4 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I think the Titanic set is a good example of minimal studs but still lego. Just an observation as I am in BrickBobs camp, I'm not for or against.

I've seen a a good bit of chatter about the leg mechanism. Do we think this is an actual screw driver as some commenters indicate or do we think it's more like the tool from the Chiron? (For those unaware, the Chiron has an Allen wrench style tool made entirely of lego that is your only means of properly raising and lowering the car's rear fin.) I think the AT-AT's tool may be one to just access a mechanism, but since the weight is a factor maybe it is a screwdriver.

Before pics I would've assumed the legs are the part of this set I'd be the least interested to see detailed in a review, and now they have piqued my interest more than anything else.

Edited by Archer

8 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think the Titanic set is a good example of minimal studs but still lego. Just an observation as I am in BrickBobs camp, I'm not for or against.

I've seen a a good bit of chatter about the leg mechanism. Do we think this is an actual screw driver as some commenters indicate or do we think it's more like the tool from the Chiron? (For those unaware, the Chiron has an Allen wrench style tool made entirely of lego that is your only means of properly raising and lowering the car's rear fin.) I think the AT-AT's tool may be one to just access a mechanism, but since the weight is a factor maybe it is a screwdriver.

Before pics I would've assumed the legs are the part of this set I'd be the least interested to see detailed in a review, and now they have piqued my interest more than anything else.

My bet is that it’s just a standard axle and a wormscrew mechanism with a large cog

6 hours ago, LDigital said:

My bet is that it’s just a standard axle and a wormscrew mechanism with a large cog

Agreed, and that would be a great solution.  Adjustable, and also a locking action for stability provided by a worm screw/gear setup.

This AT-AT is for sure a day 1 purchase...if I can act fast enough :hmpf_bad: 

This set looks absolutely GORGEOUS. It's everything I wanted and more, especially with the expansive interior (ripped straight from the pages of Incredible Cross Sections, no less!)

I have yet to get the Star Destroyer, which is also on my wanted list, and it's going to be a difficult choice narrowing down the two.

I can’t believe I was financially stable enough to afford the Falcon and the Star Destroyer on day 1, but the UCS set I’ve wanted to be a reality for most of my life I won’t be able to afford, it will be mine..one day

Do we have a confirmed UK release date? I know the rumour was black Friday. I just want to book the day off to queue.

37 minutes ago, ginja said:

Do we have a confirmed UK release date? I know the rumour was black Friday. I just want to book the day off to queue.

Pretty sure 11/26. We will know for sure on 11/9 reveal.

2 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Pretty sure 11/26. We will know for sure on 11/9 reveal.

I queued for the falcon 1st inline at Leeds store. Still not built it yet🤣

2 hours ago, cavegod said:

That's amazing. I thought I was bad with buying it September 2018 and it's still boxed...one day when I move into a real house. Still planning to get 75313 and grow my backlog.

2 hours ago, cavegod said:

I queued midnight Leicester Square and built it over the next week or so. Wish I had waited as it took me 2 years to get a case, and so its dirty and stained and not perfect anymore. Was seriously tempted to buy a replacement. But I'm not that stupid.

1 hour ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

That's amazing. I thought I was bad with buying it September 2018 and it's still boxed...one day when I move into a real house. Still planning to get 75313 and grow my backlog.

I bought mine as a graduation gift for myself in June of '18 and it's still boxed up, waiting for me to finish up college. As are the ISD, and the Y-wing, and the gunship...

I'm just stockpiling until I have a semi-permanent residence lol