MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

40 minutes ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

Mandr is a credible source, In this instance, I wish he wasn't, but he's most likely right.

So i guess a SW CMF isn't coming anytime soon:sceptic:

Yeah he’s got an axe to grind but he isn’t a liar. I think it’s still entirely possible that it happens, there’s a lotta rumblings about it and given the outrage this hopefully will cause they may end up doing it.

Thing is: I think that a lot of the time the community latches on to the hasbro argument whenever discussion of licences comes about. I don't think lego is lying or whatever. Just that licences change, and are secretive as has been said. A lot of the examples in the video are before minifig collecting was a big thing. So discontinuing those makes sense. 

My feelings are: lego at its core is a construction toy company, so focusing on that makes sense. Perhaps they feel that to produce a sw cmf would be a a dilution in their brand. But either way if they have chosen all this time to focus on sets and not minifig polys. Thats up to them, and I'm not sure if they themselves have ever explicitly outright stated that hasbro was preventing them from doing it, just thats a conclusion that we have come to.

We have to face facts that we don't always get what we want and they are under no obligation to give us what we want, however much on the surface that would appear to make economic sense. But if everyone switched to getting minifig packs instead of sets their profits would drop I feel.

1 minute ago, ginja said:

Thing is: I think that a lot of the time the community latches on to the hasbro argument whenever discussion of licences comes about. I don't think lego is lying or whatever. Just that licences change, and are secretive as has been said. A lot of the examples in the video are before minifig collecting was a big thing. So discontinuing those makes sense. 

My feelings are: lego at its core is a construction toy company, so focusing on that makes sense. Perhaps they feel that to produce a sw cmf would be a a dilution in their brand. But either way if they have chosen all this time to focus on sets and not minifig polys. Thats up to them, and I'm not sure if they themselves have ever explicitly outright stated that hasbro was preventing them from doing it, just thats a conclusion that we have come to.

We have to face facts that we don't always get what we want and they are under no obligation to give us what we want, however much on the surface that would appear to make economic sense. But if everyone switched to getting minifig packs instead of sets their profits would drop I feel.

Nah people would still buy sets. An army is only so good if you don’t have ships for it. And you can put in exclusive figures in both sets and the packs to make people buy both. The easiest proof of this is HP, DC and that one other licensed CMF I’m blanking on. It’s been done before. It won’t eat into profits. Lego just doesn’t want to do it because…they’re dumb?

in other questions, anyone think there’s a possibility that the Cruiser Mando won’t have a jetpack bc the Forge Mando will? Would be right in line with the shit they pull. 

49 minutes ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

Mandr is a credible source, In this instance, I wish he wasn't, but he's most likely right.

So i guess a SW CMF isn't coming anytime soon:sceptic:

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think @MandRproductions's point was that a Star Wars CMF isn't coming. I think his point was that LEGO (allegedly) could have always done it, but just blamed Hasbro instead of themselves

Edited by avengers777

4 minutes ago, avengers777 said:

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think @MandRproductions's point was that a Star Wars CMF isn't coming. I think his point was that LEGO (allegedly) could have always done it, but just blamed Hasbro instead of themselves

Yeah he had that whole conspiracy at the end of the video explaining where he was talking about the narrative change. Acc to him Lego’s basically running on the fake “Hasbro’s license changed” thing. 

17 minutes ago, avengers777 said:

Yeah but if they could have made one anytime they wanted, why would they do it now?

So this is where we're at now? Conspiracy theories? What next, a cult? :laugh_hard:

This sounds pretty off-topic to me. Anyway, back to topic :tongue: After watching the first two episodes, I really hope for a future set with Omega. I liked her character a lot more than I thought at first :thumbup:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

10 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

So this is where we're at now? Conspiracy theories? What next, a cult? :laugh_hard:

This sounds pretty off-topic to me. Anyway, back to topic :tongue: After watching the first two episodes, I really hope for a future set with Omega. I liked her character a lot more than I thought at first :thumbup:

All Star Wars fans are part of the cult of Gonk. Omega is the new Grogu only with actual dialogue. They’d have to be braindead not to make a figure of her. 

25 minutes ago, hondohnaka said:

All Star Wars fans are part of the cult of Gonk. Omega is the new Grogu only with actual dialogue. They’d have to be braindead not to make a figure of her. 

This is LEGO. They probably won't make a figure of her until late this year.

The mortar trooper looks good (but as said by others Lego does have a closer shade than the one they chose) but looking at it compared to say the imperial shock trooper, it does show that this new helmet has gappier printing if that makes sense. I don’t hate the new helmet but I do prefer the old one and this another thing that makes the old one preferable.

Talking about helmets whilst I do mostly like what they’ve done for Tech’s helmet, I do wish they’d not made it overlap so much with his torso, they could just moved those bottom cylinders up a bit, and okay that’s not perfect proportions minifig heads don’t have human proportions anyway.

Am I the only person who hates Tech's helmet?

1. The chin is too big, it is like the Stormie one and looks weird next to other figures

2. The hole in the helmet is awkward, only the goggles should be showing but we can see Tech's forehead

3. From what I can tell, the visor can't move

15 minutes ago, BigA_7 said:

Am I the only person who hates Tech's helmet?

1. The chin is too big, it is like the Stormie one and looks weird next to other figures

2. The hole in the helmet is awkward, only the goggles should be showing but we can see Tech's forehead

3. From what I can tell, the visor can't move

Yes, I noticed that too. However, I think that it's good we're getting a new helmet at all.

I'm pumped for the new Bad Batch shuttle. My expectations for ships these days are rather low when they're being released at the beginning of a show/movie since TLG is usually only given concept pieces to work with, but this is looking great in comparison. Looking forward to getting an Omega figure eventually as well. I'm also excited for this troop transport. I do find it a little weird they've gone with the Mortar Trooper before even doing the Incendiary Trooper so hopefully we'll see him sooner or later. I feel like people have TOO high of expectations for the play sets, I'm just happy with the overall variety and honestly the quality we've been getting, and seems to be coming in the future.

The original source of the whole hasbro license thing was the lego designer panel at one of the conventions, right? I’ll take the word of the actual set designers over MandR who just less than a week ago was claiming a non-existent 8 month long country wide lockdown was the cause of the 501st set being “retired” in Australia. We should stop bringing his bs up in this thread as that just gives him the attention he wants.

2 hours ago, MAVERICK26 said:

This is LEGO. They probably won't make a figure of her until late this year.

Well...yeah, there's no other sets scheduled for release unless we get a surprise exclusive or something.  I'm sure we'll get some more Bad Batch sets in the January wave (or, if it's a similar schedule as this year, maybe one and then some remakes, with most of the new stuff coming in the summer), but it's not really a question of their decisions not making sense, that's how it's always happened.  We didn't get Grogu until a year after the show came out, and my guess is that with the Shuttle, they weren't necessarily sure how or when Omega would tie into the story, or how she would be received.

14 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Bad Batch figures - Excellent 

Karga + Mortar Trooper - Excellent 

Very, very promising. 

Yes, they look great. Definitely cements purchasing the Trexler marauder for me, unless the set design is just pure garbage. (Huh, weird that the first two sets to have figure leaks both are vehicles with marauder in the name)

14 hours ago, storskogen said:

They really look like good custom figures. Does Lego do printing in the vertical part of the hip piece (where the legs are connected)? 

Yeah, somewhat frequently too.

6 hours ago, Brickroll said:

So apparently MandR just made a video stating that the whole hasbro having an exclusive license to making Star Wars figs is a lie and that lego could do it this whole time—so, three questions—

1. Mods, is this the correct thread to discuss this?

2. How can we be sure he’s right?

3. What does this mean for the future of LSW figs?

*sigh* As much as I'd like to say he's making it up for clicks, he's been right too many times for me to ignore it. On the other hand, this is a far cry from the other leaks he's had. This isn't let a set list leaking, this'd have to be someone REALLY high up on the totem pole at lego to know the intricacies of their contract.

3 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

All rise for the almighty Gonk!

This is probably treasonous, but I might just like Omega more than baby yoda. She's adorable and has the emotional connection, but she's also not a baby, so she can actually make decisions and have a personality. Also, 

Spoiler

this new episode cemented her as the only non-annoying kid in SW, no offense to cut but his kids look creepy as heck and have grating voices.

Luckily, a figure of her shouldn't be too hard to make.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

22 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yes, they look great. Definitely cements purchasing the Trexler marauder for me, unless the set design is just pure garbage. (Huh, weird that the first two sets to have figure leaks both are vehicles with marauder in the name)

Yeah, somewhat frequently too.

*sigh* As much as I'd like to say he's making it up for clicks, he's been right too many times for me to ignore it. On the other hand, this is a far cry from the other leaks he's had. This isn't let a set list leaking, this'd have to be someone REALLY high up on the totem pole at lego to know the intricacies of their contract.

All rise for the almighty Gonk!

This is probably treasonous, but I might just like Omega more than baby yoda. She's adorable and has the emotional connection, but she's also not a baby, so she can actually make decisions and have a personality. Also, 

Hide contents

this new episode cemented her as the only non-annoying kid in SW, no offense to cut but his kids look creepy as heck and have grating voices.

Luckily, a figure of her shouldn't be too hard to make.

Lowkey I agree. She’s got actual agency and she doesn’t just get carried around everywhere. When Grogu wanders off he has literally no means of survival until Mando swoops in and rescues him. Omega can put up somewhat of a fight and makes her own decisions rather then just wandering towards the nearest food source. A figure of her would not be hard at all, I’m sure there’s several Ninjago hairpieces that would work just fine, or they could (heaven forbid) do a custom mold for her little pendant. Side note, she looks insanely different when she takes the pendant off it’s actually bizarre. 

2 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

Side note, she looks insanely different when she takes the pendant off it’s actually bizarre. 

Because the pendant was holding her hair back--it's not just that it itself is gone; it really did change her whole look.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

5 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

non-existent 8 month long country wide lockdown

Ahh, what? Maybe they're putting the 501st figures in hotel quarantine and they escaped through the air conditioning.

10 hours ago, AIex said:

I was thinking the same thing! I still think it looks excellent in yellow though. Glad to see people are STILL complaining about the Stormtrooper helmet mold at every opportunity :hmpf: If the leaks are true and this comes with the mortar trooper and 2 regular stormies I may have to pick up one or even two of these, the Greef Karga fig comes with some excellent prints for custom figs, very star wars-y

The mortar trooper looks good in my opinion, I am going to see how much they are before I decide if or how many I get, I would love to get enough to MOD it into a proper ITT with an appropriate number of stormtroopers, and if I can find these on sale somewhere it would be good.

Edited by Stuartn

No way some rando youtuber knows anything about deals that runs in the hundreds of millions, even billions in the long run

That stuff is lawyered up to eleven, NDAs all over the place. He might have some kinda low level source at TLG that might have heard something or is just speculating to get some of that sweet internet karma but NO WAY would the guys in the suits that make a metric ton of money per annum risk anything for a freaking dumb video on the tube ...

Geez, get a grip folks :jollyroger:

Set/theme leaks about sets are NOT that hard to come by when you DO know somebody in the foodchain simply because so many people are involved. And we all know a number of those fuzzy pics originate from TLG anyway

17 hours ago, Brickroll said:

So apparently MandR just made a video stating that the whole hasbro having an exclusive license to making Star Wars figs is a lie and that lego could do it this whole time—so, three questions—

1. Mods, is this the correct thread to discuss this?

2. How can we be sure he’s right?

3. What does this mean for the future of LSW figs?

The discussion so far has been on topic. This is technically the place to talk about it, but you skirt a fine line between on topic and devolving into a wishlist of what figs you'd want to see in a hypothetical CMF. Keep skirting that line successfully and I won't have to lock the topic :pir-yoda:

21 hours ago, AIex said:

I was thinking the same thing! I still think it looks excellent in yellow though. Glad to see people are STILL complaining about the Stormtrooper helmet mold at every opportunity :hmpf: If the leaks are true and this comes with the mortar trooper and 2 regular stormies I may have to pick up one or even two of these, the Greef Karga fig comes with some excellent prints for custom figs, very star wars-y

I agree, the Mortar Trooper looks great. I also agree that people need to give it a rest with the new Stormtrooper helmet, I prefer the old one too but it's clear at this point that LEGO has no desire to backpedal on this one like they did with the Rebel pilot helmet. Heck, the circumstances behind that decision may not have had anything to do with fan opinion anyway. The new Stormtrooper helmet is here to stay and we need to learn how to live with it. 

44 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

I agree, the Mortar Trooper looks great. I also agree that people need to give it a rest with the new Stormtrooper helmet, I prefer the old one too but it's clear at this point that LEGO has no desire to backpedal on this one like they did with the Rebel pilot helmet. Heck, the circumstances behind that decision may not have had anything to do with fan opinion anyway. The new Stormtrooper helmet is here to stay and we need to learn how to live with it. 

I wonder if the Rebel Pilot helmet was a cost issue rather than a feedback issue.  I know there was a lot of backlash about it, which was probably part of the reason for the switch, but it could've been a scenario where it was significantly cheaper to just use the old mold, whereas there's not a sizeable cost difference between the stormtrooper helmets.  

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

I wonder if the Rebel Pilot helmet was a cost issue rather than a feedback issue.  I know there was a lot of backlash about it, which was probably part of the reason for the switch, but it could've been a scenario where it was significantly cheaper to just use the old mold, whereas there's not a sizeable cost difference between the stormtrooper helmets.  

it was probably to avoid having to change the 17 year old snowspeeder design, the regular pilot helmets already have to lean back quite a bit to get inside of those

3 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

The stormy drama is so petulant tbh. I have both and like…yeah it’s worse then the old model but it isn’t worldendingly bad. And honestly I think whoever made the family guy comparison only fanned the flames of a pretty stupid debate. The helmets look fine. They aren’t optimal but they also aren’t horrible. People need to chill.