Not sure if there is any residual oils/chemicals on LEGO. Dust, fingerprints might be there tho? And those not from manufacturing.

2 hours ago, MickG said:

....There is a lot of stickers in this set, is there not a need to wash the lego pieces that will receive stickers with soapy water or rubbing alcohol prior to applying the stickers? If yes what method are you using?.....

No.

Mine arrived from the website today, plan to do at least the Hubble's stand, maybe the Hubble itself tonight.  Tomorrow the real building starts.   Pleasantly surprised by the degree of parts separation among the bags----#1 is purely the Hubble's stand, 2 and 3 are the Hubble itself, #4 is purely the orbiter's stand.  

I just received my set, haven't opened it yet, but will soon. 

Got a question though, after seeing the pictures on the box and some reviews.. Being located in Europe, I have no familiarity with miles and pounds, and the display stickers show all statistics in imperial. I hoped it would be region-specific at least, but it seems to not be the case? 
And here I was thinking all space-related metrics were, well, metric. Maybe I should say SI-units. Maybe I should tweet LG about it... Or just make scan the stickers and make my own. Hmm...

All the small things, eh? 

5 minutes ago, zyrex said:

I have no familiarity with miles and pounds, and the display stickers show all statistics in imperial. I hoped it would be region-specific at least, but it seems to not be the case?

Just type "xxx miles in km" and "xxx lbs in kg" into your browser, and it will convert them for you. Being in the USA, I do my conversions in the opposite direction :laugh:

Just now, petero said:

Just type "xxx miles in km" and "xxx lbs in kg" into your browser, and it will convert them for you. Being in the USA, I do my conversions in the opposite direction :laugh:

Absolutely, I am able to do so 😅 But seeing as I do all my daily life in metric, I'd like my displayed sets to also reflect that 😊

I noticed the stickers were in miles etc, I wondered if perhaps there were alternative stickers provided in some regions.  The instruction book itself does a very good job----for the English parts, it lists miles etc, with the metric equivalents in parentheses.   But for the French and Spanish parts, it shows metric as the default, with imperial conversions in parentheses.  

Perhaps a good number of people are like me and willing to wait in order to potentially get the Ulysses probe VIP reward.

Edited by Friscorays

Risk of missing out on the shuttle because of waiting for the probe is why I went ahead.  Probe could show up next week, next month, or next fall...

On 4/4/2021 at 12:13 PM, MickG said:

I will definitely be picking up this Shuttle set, but being new to Lego I have a question.

There is a lot of stickers in this set, is there not a need to wash the lego pieces that will receive stickers with soapy water or rubbing alcohol prior to applying the stickers? If yes what method are you using?

I thought it was common knowledge that when placing stickers or painting etc on pretty much anything plastic that it be cleaned to remove any residual manufacturing oils/chemicals that may be present, and need to be cleaned off for maximum adhesion. I’ve seen countless videos on Lego sets and nobody mentions this, nor do they show it?

I don't recall ever finding mould release agent on the plastic parts.  I applied many of Friends set stickers without first cleaning parts and haven't had any problems with adhesion.  It wouldn't hurt if you want to put in the extra effort.  Usually cleaning is something done before applying water decals on models after you've painted it.

BTW, is there a Canada sticker for the Candarm?

7 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

BTW, is there a Canada sticker for the Candarm?

Unfortunately, no.

On April 7, 2021 at 9:09 AM, zyrex said:

And here I was thinking all space-related metrics were, well, metric. Maybe I should say SI-units. Maybe I should tweet LG about it... Or just make scan the stickers and make my own. Hmm...

All the small things, eh? 

On a slight tangent, years ago I was working for a government think tank and we'd spec'ed out a subsystem that needed to fit in a very tight spot in an existing airframe.  I can't go into details but basically we needed a company to build a device to do X and it had to fit in a well defined space, only consume so much power and only give off so much heat.  Several of our preferred vendors looked at our RFP (request for proposals) and told us it couldn't be done - or doing it would be so expensive it wouldn't be profitable - one vendor, however, said "Sure, no problem" and won the contract.  Eighteen months of sloppy oversight go by and it comes time for the vendor to test the prototype in the field, so we show up with the airframe (and it's empty slot for the module), and the contractor shows up with a moving van on the tarmac asking us where our forklift is so they can offload the device.  After a few minutes of confused stares and occasional blinks of disbelief we ask why he needs a forklift.

The vendor reminded us that there was no weight requirement in the spec, only size limits.  To this we countered that even if the device were a solid block of plutonium it could only weigh in at a few kilos.  At which point the vender told us we were crazy and opened the truck to reveal a pallet full of equipment that wouldn't fit in the cockpit if you dumped it in the pilot's seat let alone the open slot in the nosecone.

With a multi-million dollar contract on the line, naturally this resulted in an unprofessional shouting match where everyone whipped out copies of the spec and the contract to "prove" their point of view.  In a matter of moments everyone was on the same page which clearly stated the available space was "8mm x 21mm x 57mm".  The head of the contractor's team, a vice-president with the firm, poked at the book and proudly announced "See, 8 metric meters by 21 metric meters by 57 metric meters!  We're fully compliant with room to spare!"  

At which point we had to explain to him that "mm" stood for "millimeter" not "metric meter" and that the plane itself wasn't even 57 meters long (and how could an entire division of Fortune 500 defense contractor not notice that over the course of a year and half's effort?) .  So much for the US education system...

In any case, I'm nearly done with my Discovery shuttle and am quite happy with it.  My only complaint has been dealing with the foil stickers on the underside of the bay doors (tedious, awkward to align/correct if crooked) I considered omitting them (as I often do with stickers) but everything else was turning out so nicely that my completion-ist  tendencies took over.  I can definitely see myself picking up additional copies of this set both to expand my "fleet" and as parts packs. 

On 4/7/2021 at 8:38 PM, steele said:

Risk of missing out on the shuttle because of waiting for the probe is why I went ahead.  Probe could show up next week, next month, or next fall...

In this case, answer is tomorrow, at least in USA.  Per email from Lego, Ulysses probe becomes available for 1800 VIP points 4/14/2021 at 9 am.  Happens to coincide nicely with double VIP points.

41 minutes ago, Friscorays said:

In this case, answer is tomorrow, at least in USA.  Per email from Lego, Ulysses probe becomes available for 1800 VIP points 4/14/2021 at 9 am.  Happens to coincide nicely with double VIP points.

9am in what time zone?

37 minutes ago, Friscorays said:

Usually Eastern but with Lego one never really knows.

I just called customer service and they told me it’s Eastern. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Friscorays said:

Yup, could have waited and gotten everything.  :(

Anyone else unable to get into the vip rewards centre ? All I’m getting is a pop up to accept terms which then tells me “something went wrong” so I can’t get to the page!

Just now, Seasider said:

Anyone else unable to get into the vip rewards centre ? All I’m getting is a pop up to accept terms which then tells me “something went wrong” so I can’t get to the page!

Keep reloading... Took me a few (i.e. a lot of) tries, but managed to finally load the page and redeem at 10:19 CEST...

9 minutes ago, firetech said:

Keep reloading... Took me a few (i.e. a lot of) tries, but managed to finally load the page and redeem at 10:19 CEST...

Sold out in the U.K. ... now that is VERY frustrating as I’d been trying to get onto the page since before 9am! 🤬

Edited by Seasider

Anyone know if the Ulysses probe VIP offer is linked to purchase of Shuttle or can it be used with any Lego purchase like other VIP codes?

Yeah, "something went wrong" with having to accept their terms, then when that error is cleared, they are all sold out. Thanks LEGO! You must really love AFOLs. Make us jump through hoops, wait endlessly then produce a small fraction of what is needed to satisfy demand.

1 minute ago, Friscorays said:

Anyone know if the Ulysses probe VIP offer is linked to purchase of Shuttle or can it be used with any Lego purchase like other VIP codes?

It is not linked, you can add it to any order. Although it's sold out anyway.

1 minute ago, Friscorays said:

It isn't linked the to space shuttle. You get emailed a code and then you can add that code to any order.

That's how it worked for me when I got it earlier today.