Kai NRG

Fort in Punto Sur

Fort Punto Sur... more commonly known as the Omelet. :pir_tong2:

50612975388_dd0693a0b4_z.jpg

I tried for an updated classic pirates style.  Unsure about how the dark yellow on the fort did at capturing that.  But I didn't want to dark red, since that's the next generation Imperial pirates... right?  Or can you do dark red and still consider yourself classic pirates?  I know, I'm betraying my youth here...

Classic%20Pirates%20Fort%20%282%29.JPG

I really liked how the part around back turned out (I actually like how the whole thing turned out except the pictures... I'm always hard on my pictures...).  Unfortunately it's hard to see from the normal angles.

Classic%20Pirates%20Fort%20%283%29.JPG

Classic%20Pirates%20Fort%20%284%29.JPG

Turns out redcoats are more difficult to turn into greencoats than bluecoats were.  And either way Elostirion's method is looking better and better. :pir-laugh:

Classic%20Pirates%20Fort%20%285%29.JPG

Oh, I can't let that picture go by without mentioning my adorable turtle!  And the chameleon too.  So many beautiful animals lately! :pir-wub:

Classic%20Pirates%20Fort%20%2810%29.JPG

Back on the subject of the green torsos - I was really hoping for a darker green, which was why I tried red since blue didn't let me go that dark.  Red was even worse though, it overlaps too much with the yellow arms and head to be easily edited.  (In the end I went carefully over it with a brush on some special mode that resulted in bright lime green...)

Classic%20Pirates%20Fort%20%286%29.JPG

I enjoyed this wall/ramp technique.  It's deeper on the wall than the ramp, tried doing both deep or both thin, but the ramp looked silly with deep cracks and the wall looks so much worse with thin ones.

Classic%20Pirates%20Fort%20%288%29.JPG

Last but by no means least we have here a shot of the commander proudly overseeing his watery domain.

Classic%20Pirates%20Fort%20%289%29.JPG

On the whole I think my last fort was better, mostly because of the more photogenic layout, but the bright colors of this one were certainly fun to work with.  C&C welcome!  Build log on my blog if you're interested.  And if anyone has ideas on what kind of fort style I should try in another 8 months, let me know! :pir_tong2:

Nice scenario with great colors. I like the shape of the tower and the Harbor jetty. The uniforms fit, they are brightly colored, as is customary in this era.

Wow... beautiful color scheme and excellent building techniques!

Your previous fort with the round turret was certainly more complex but this one is so much more colourful and fun.  I really like it.

That simple wall technique is something my collection can actually pull off too - I plan to nick it. :wink:

I can only see the first photo for some reason but I like it already. Like the shape of the tower and those 'bricks' looks good with it. Maybe a bit too yellow?
And I like that little island with the palmtree. 

Looks absolutely fantastic Kai! and you used the excellent new turtle before I got to! The bright colours really make the whole thing pop and I think if you had used dark red instead of the bright light orange it would not have had the same effect.

Beautiful fort! The feeling you tried to copy from the classic sets worked. These orange bricks work good. The small island, the rap, the minifig coats, all great stuff.

I love your take on the updated Classic Pirates style! I concur that the dark yellow works better than dark red would have. The yellow sand of the island is a great throwback to Classic Pirates, as is the ramp. Fantastic job! :thumbup:

Another really nice build (as always from someone that doesn't stop experimenting).

Although I consider myself to be a classic lover, when dark red entered the scope of LEGO colors, it immediately became one of my favourites (so "egg yolk" yellow looks funny to me).

Regarding those new animals, well, we've been waiting ages for new molds so nowadays we must really feel happy (chameleon, turtles, flamencos, doves, throngs of dogs etc)

All in all, a tribute to classics with a great design and innovative colors!

:pir-huzzah2:

Sweet fort Kai!

Altough, I wonder why not just white headlight bricks with those egg-yellow plates on instead of the strange thing you did now?

Nice colors, pleasant to the eyes. The fort itself is nicely done, I like that ramp too, reminds me of those good ol' baseplates. 

Thanks everybody!  This has been more of a hit than I expected, always a good feeling. :pir-grin:

On 11/17/2020 at 1:12 PM, NOD said:

Nice scenario with great colors. I like the shape of the tower and the Harbor jetty. The uniforms fit, they are brightly colored, as is customary in this era.

Good point about the brightly colored uniforms!  Especially in a bright build like this, they don't look unreasonable.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:02 PM, Professor Thaum said:

I'm very jealous of your minifigs !!

But, however, this is a nice fort for sure.

What is this feather ?

I have never seen it before

That feather is from Overwatch originally.  I'm trying to think of where I got it.  Oh yes, the CMF Monkey king minifigure.  It's not lime green however.  It was red originally, just a bit of photoshop there. :pir-wink:  In fact all the lime is photoshop (GIMP actually).  It's not that hard... or so I say after 9 years of slowly accumulating GIMP skills. :pir_tong2:

On 11/17/2020 at 3:07 PM, Kwatchi said:

Your previous fort with the round turret was certainly more complex but this one is so much more colourful and fun.  I really like it.

That simple wall technique is something my collection can actually pull off too - I plan to nick it. :wink:

Thanks Kawatchi!  The wall and ramp between them pretty well knocked me out of dark grey plates. :pir-laugh:  I've always known I should invest in more but there usually seem to be some bright distracting colors or minifigure pieces that knock the bland grey tiles out of my cart...

On 11/18/2020 at 6:28 AM, neonic said:

I can only see the first photo for some reason but I like it already. Like the shape of the tower and those 'bricks' looks good with it. Maybe a bit too yellow?
And I like that little island with the palmtree. 

Sorry about that!  It must be something with your browser or firewall since it seems like most people aren't having that problem.  I hosted the extra photos on Bricksafe.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:20 AM, Mister Phes said:

Indeed! Definitely frontpage material :pir-classic:

Thanks so much for the spotlight - you and Ayrlego!

On 11/19/2020 at 7:44 AM, Maxim I said:

Sweet fort Kai!

Altough, I wonder why not just white headlight bricks with those egg-yellow plates on instead of the strange thing you did now?

Thanks Maxim!  I'm a bit limited on headlight bricks in white, and also I like the texture the slightly exposed studs give.  Plus I can use dark yellow bricks as well as tiles and plates, which gives me about double as much dark yellow to work with. :pir-grin:  Anything to make the bricks last longer!

5 hours ago, Bodi said:

Nice colors, pleasant to the eyes. The fort itself is nicely done, I like that ramp too, reminds me of those good ol' baseplates. 

Thanks Bodi, that is exactly what I was going for!

Edited by Kai NRG

On 11/20/2020 at 6:41 PM, Puvel said:

Lovely build, great selection of heads/helmets as usual and the colours really pop!

Thanks Puvel!

3 hours ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

If the redcoats are british, and the bluecoats are french, what are the greencoats?

Portuguese? 

Professor Thaum has it right, a bit of Portuguese for sure but also some heavy Dutch and Spanish inspiration!  We're the perfect blend. :pir-grin:

On 12/11/2020 at 9:46 PM, valon said:

very cool build !!!!

Thanks valon!