Kai NRG

[MCTC: Salida Este] Seaside Fort

Recommended Posts

I've been promising my fellow MCTCers a fort for a long, long time.  But at last, here she be!

49587988641_eef3238cb5.jpg

I hurry to say that the brick separator roof was @Garmadon's idea.  Credit where credit is due and I'd hate for Captain Nordau to feel like I'd robbed his designs.  But on the other hand, I don't recall him crediting me for those lamp posts he totally ripped right off my desk...

Seaside%20Fort%20%286%29.jpg

As you can see, this fort is totally ready for a prolonged siege by any number of Class 10 pirate ships.

Seaside%20Fort%20%285%29.jpg

No false front here.  And it was nice to have this one wall going straight up.

Seaside%20Fort%20%284%29.jpg

Fortunately the soldiers here are able to get their hands on a newspaper or two once or twice a year.

Seaside%20Fort%20%283%29.jpg

So the angled stuff was actually pretty complex, but I'm very happy with the end result.  And always happy to show off my light aqua...

Seaside%20Fort%20%282%29.jpg

...and my light yellow...

Seaside%20Fort%20%281%29.jpg

I tried to go detailed in keeping with my previous Salida Este MOCs.  Would have been nice to use some vibrant coral somewhere but I stuck with the pastel colors. :pir-grin:  Anyway, now we in Salida Este can finally rest secure. :pir-sweet:  Maybe...

C&C welcome!

Edit: Forgot to mention that there's a build log on my blog.

Edited by Kai NRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely gorgeous, Kai! :grin_wub: As always with your MOCs, I find the pictures to be constant eye candy due to your gorgeous color schemes, angles, and parts usage. Absolutely love the way you did the wall with just the tiles (forgot what the term is called). The sand green with the aqua really gives the fort a marina feel. Also, wonderful job with the waves, vegetation, and light yellow! 

The way you GIMP the outfits really makes me wish there was a green uniform for lego. How awesome would it be to get an islander/armada reboot? :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love this MOC . Colours are great. Just a little bit of a story was what I was expecting seeing the soldier fishing :laugh:

Water, angles, details are very nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorgeous little fort! I love the angles, and using the separators as the roof is very cool part usage. Nice little details throughout, especially the waves in the water. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful little outpost you've got there! So many great details I can't pick a favorite!

4 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

How awesome would it be to get an islander/armada reboot?

Well, we are getting the LEGO ideas pirate bay set eventually, so I'm hoping more good things will follow close behind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having tried my hand at angled Fort walls previously, yours outshine my attempt by miles.  Great work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very pretty and colorful! Great work with the brick seperators; I've been meaning to do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Absolutely gorgeous, Kai! :grin_wub: As always with your MOCs, I find the pictures to be constant eye candy due to your gorgeous color schemes, angles, and parts usage. Absolutely love the way you did the wall with just the tiles (forgot what the term is called). The sand green with the aqua really gives the fort a marina feel. Also, wonderful job with the waves, vegetation, and light yellow! 

The way you GIMP the outfits really makes me wish there was a green uniform for lego. How awesome would it be to get an islander/armada reboot? :laugh:

Thank you!  And I agree, official green torsos would be awesome!

20 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Love this MOC . Colours are great. Just a little bit of a story was what I was expecting seeing the soldier fishing :laugh:

Water, angles, details are very nice

Thanks Fraunces!  Yeah, I wasn't in story-writing mode I guess, the build will have to tell it's own story.  :pir-grin:

20 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Gorgeous little fort! I love the angles, and using the separators as the roof is very cool part usage. Nice little details throughout, especially the waves in the water. :thumbup:

Thank you!  

16 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Beautiful little outpost you've got there! So many great details I can't pick a favorite!

Well, we are getting the LEGO ideas pirate bay set eventually, so I'm hoping more good things will follow close behind!

Thanks Blackbird!  I'm pretty excited for the pirate bay set myself, hopefully it does well and we can get a pirate theme again!

14 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Having tried my hand at angled Fort walls previously, yours outshine my attempt by miles.  Great work.

Oh, someone who appreciates my pain... :pir-grin:  Man those things are tough!

Thanks!

9 hours ago, KotZ said:

Very pretty and colorful! Great work with the brick seperators; I've been meaning to do the same.

Thanks KotZ!  By all means give it a try - it looks really nice and isn't hard to attach!

3 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

A really beautiful little fort. Love it. :cannon:

Thank you Ross!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice fort. The brick separators work well for the roof and the angled walls look great. I tend to envision the outer walls of such forts being most if not all of the visible structure; as shown the upper works are extremely vulnerable, but they do look good. Some of the texture bricks look a bit odd to me, specifically those plates mounted stud-out with the gaps beneath them. If breaking up a smooth clean surface is the goal, then it's a success. :grin: And the light aqua just seems so random. Otherwise, I really like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Separators as roof, they work wonderfully here. The angled and sloped walls look good, and I like that bourrelet thingy on the tower, nice spot for fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Nice fort. The brick separators work well for the roof and the angled walls look great. I tend to envision the outer walls of such forts being most if not all of the visible structure; as shown the upper works are extremely vulnerable, but they do look good. Some of the texture bricks look a bit odd to me, specifically those plates mounted stud-out with the gaps beneath them. If breaking up a smooth clean surface is the goal, then it's a success. :grin: And the light aqua just seems so random. Otherwise, I really like it.

Thanks!  Yes, I realized as I was building that a couple good cannon shots would reduce the garrison here to tatters but Salida Este has always been more about looks. :pir-laugh:  I was roughly following an image of a real-life fort that had something a little similar, but I shrunk the footprint and made the amount of cover even smaller.  And yeah, I was going for a bit of a cracked look to the stone wall, but I guess it doesn't quite work for everyone... and neither does the light aqua apparently. :pir-grin:  

And I just realized that you can't see my beautifully incorporated sideways slopes built into the wall from any of these shots!  Ugh!  I hate it when I build something brilliant and it doesn't show up on camera. :pir_tong2:

10 hours ago, Bodi said:

Separators as roof, they work wonderfully here. The angled and sloped walls look good, and I like that bourrelet thingy on the tower, nice spot for fishing.

Thanks Bodi!  That tower is an unattached crumbling pain and to top it off I decided to sit a minifigure on it. :innocent2: :pir_tong2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent !

Brick separators are great for roofs ! And that masonry is just gorgeous !

An excellent job that deserves a Frontpage !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely. Yes these angled buildings are complicated, but look great when finished. Pls. share your building instructions. :pir-grin:

The roof .... :pir_wacko:

And, I guess, you have again photoshopped your greencoats :pir-grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cute little fort, good for target practise ;) 

I love your arches! and the use of the sideways bricks and the off colours give a very weathered look. 

Bart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, what a cool and beautiful MOC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Beautiful fort you have there. And a clever use of the round bricks and rounded slopes for the gate arch and cannon fishing platform.

Did you attach the round bricks somehow, or do they snuggle nicely under the arches?

Edited by GeoBrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 8:37 AM, Faladrin said:

Excellent !

Brick separators are great for roofs ! And that masonry is just gorgeous !

An excellent job that deserves a Frontpage !

Thanks Faladrin, I'm honored! :pir-classic:

On 2/29/2020 at 9:24 AM, Lego David said:

I love the use of the Brick Separators as the roof!

Thank you!

On 2/29/2020 at 10:36 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Lovely. Yes these angled buildings are complicated, but look great when finished. Pls. share your building instructions. :pir-grin:

The roof .... :pir_wacko:

And, I guess, you have again photoshopped your greencoats :pir-grin:

I shared a few pictures from while I was building it on my blog (link in the first post).  I used hinge plates for the first angle and then then those vertical hinge bricks for the next angle.  The hard part was building something the right shape to go on top of it!

On 2/29/2020 at 10:49 AM, Bart said:

Very cute little fort, good for target practise ;) 

I love your arches! and the use of the sideways bricks and the off colours give a very weathered look. 

Bart

How dare you contemplate destroying my beautiful fort!  :pir-sad:  :pir-grin:  Thanks Bart!

On 3/1/2020 at 5:05 AM, Brickadeer said:

Beautiful! Great build, great color scheme!

Thank you!

On 3/1/2020 at 5:08 AM, Aine said:

Wow, what a cool and beautiful MOC!

Thanks Aine!

On 3/1/2020 at 5:54 AM, GeoBrick said:

Beautiful fort you have there. And a clever use of the round bricks and rounded slopes for the gate arch and cannon fishing platform.

Did you attach the round bricks somehow, or do they snuggle nicely under the arches?

The round bricks under the arches aren't attached to the main structure, but they're attached to each other and also on the left side have a couple 1x4 plates which build into the wall over the door and keep them very snuggly in place.

On the other hand the fishing platform falls over if you touch it. :pir-laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 6:37 AM, Faladrin said:

Excellent !

Brick separators are great for roofs ! And that masonry is just gorgeous !

An excellent job that deserves a Frontpage !

1312545498_shortcode-fontpaged2019.png.ee58cadc16530e45ee4a9be9bc32d3bd(1).png.da2a0ddc5af923a4dae6b8c29c0b1e60.png

Check it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 3:26 AM, Kai NRG said:

I tried to go detailed in keeping with my previous Salida Este MOCs. 

Are there higher resolution photos anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Are there higher resolution photos anywhere?

Each picture links to a 1000-someodd version and the very first one is also on Flickr at the original (3000+) size.

 

Edited by Kai NRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow, not sure how I missed this one! Seriously great looking fort with an excellent colour palette (would have loved to see you somehow work some coral into it but I totally understand the desire to 'play it safe' I get it a lot when I have crazy ideas about colours!). I like the small gaps under the tan STUD pieces in the fort. I haven't seen that done before in the stucco style and it's very effective. I'll have to check out the build log to see how you did it. Great angling on the walls and that brick separator roof is very interesting. Great work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Each picture links to a 1000-someodd version and the very first one is also on Flickr at the original (3000+) size.

Thank you.  The first one does not link to a larger version of Flickr hence my query.

But now I've got access to the higher res version I can make an all social media story for this MOC.

Hoorah!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.