I wanted to make a small scale supercar model in the same scale as the Corvette. The TC18 was a perfect excuse to make a model with the following functions:

• 4 speed gearbox
  • full working suspension
  • a fake V8 engine
  • working steering wheel
  • openable doors

Here is what I managed to create in LDD, inspired by the set 42111.

1280x677.jpg

I wanted to style the car like a 70's muscle car, so the fenders are brick-built to get the sharp lines needed. The final car is 40 studs long and 15 studs wide (excluding the mirrors).

All of the described functions are implemented, the car is currently made out of around 900 pieces.

I will post the WIP pics of the real build as soon as I start it.

Edited by Zerobricks

8 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Here is what I managed to create in LDD, inspired by the set 42111.

Nice idea! I would put the seats closer to the rear axle for better proportions.

Just now, Void_S said:

Nice idea! I would put the seats closer to the rear axle for better proportions.

Thanks. There's a gearbox behind seats.

Just now, Zerobricks said:

Thanks. There's a gearbox behind seats.

You could also make a Chevy El Camino or Ford Ranchero out of it.

Maybe move the 'liftback' sides a bit backwards and change the front part of the gearbox cover to DBG to mimic some rear seat? Unless you got a folding roof hidden somewhere in there as well...

Overall, really nice looking car, boxy style is smart solution for this scale as it gives you more space to work with inside the car. Looking forward to the brickbuilt version!

Just now, Rudivdk said:

Unless you got a folding roof hidden somewhere in there as well...

:wink:

1 hour ago, legosamigos said:

It looks like a new set 42111, but in cabrio version :)

No it doesn't! It looks better. And packs a whole lot more! I really like it and I look forward to see it in bricks. :thumbup:

So here is how the build went on.

First I made a BOM of all the parts and prepared them:

800x421.jpg

I started the build with the rear live axle:

800x814.jpg

The rear axle is actually facing backwards in order to leave more room for the gearbox:

800x580.jpg

I left the rear axle as it is and started building the 4-speed gearbox:

800x658.jpg

Rear axle and gearbox are mated together:

800x452.jpg

I turned attention to the front independent suspension next:

800x762.jpg

The front axle is now complete:

800x710.jpg

Next to build was the engine block assembly:

800x748.jpg

The dark grey cylinder is used to switch between gears:

800x753.jpg

The three modules are ready to be mated together into the chassis:

800x241.jpg

One successful triple marriage later...:

800x399.jpg

V8 engine, seats and steering wheel are added. The front is starting to take final shape :

800x454.jpg

Doors are installed and the gearbox is covered up:

800x530.jpg

The hood and foldable roof are pre-built:

800x574.jpg

And so the muscle car is completed:

800x428.jpg

It sure has a large behind:

800x475.jpg

View with the roof closed:

800x424.jpg

View of the car with everything open:

800x568.jpg

Engine bay is detailed with various bits:

800x600.jpg

And finally the underside photo:

800x341.jpg

So... this is it. It has more or less all functionality of a typical large-scale Lego supercar, but in a much smaller form factor. Total piece count is around 920, with the weight ending up at 600 grams. I'm very please both with the functionality and the aesthetics of the completed model.

I will make a detailed video presentation of the finished muscle car and its functions in the following few days.

Edited by Zerobricks

That's amazing! I can't believe you packed so much stuff into that! I bet if you remove the gearbox and interior, you could make it RC too! 
Edit: This chassis could probably be used for a easy drifter if you modify it a little bit. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

Can't believe you did it... And so quickly...

I very appreciate compact and functional models. Because it's twice more challenging to pack mechanics into limited space.

Great solutions for both axles :thumbup: I really like the idea of reversing the rear one. Amazing job and incredible speed of design. I suppose a video is in order. I assume it is possible to build it in red as well and maybe some other colours too.

Edited by MajklSpajkl

Fantastic work, everything looks great.  How are the gears selected?  I'm having trouble spotting it.

14 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

That's amazing! I can't believe you packed so much stuff into that! I bet if you remove the gearbox and interior, you could make it RC too! 
Edit: This chassis could probably be used for a easy drifter if you modify it a little bit. 

Yes, you could easily fit  two motors in place of the gearbox to drive and steer and use a BuWizz for maximum power.

14 hours ago, Parazels said:

Can't believe you did it... And so quickly...

I very appreciate compact and functional models. Because it's twice more challenging to pack mechanics into limited space.

Thanks. I was also very surprised how smooth and fast the whole model came together. I think I could easily replicate Porsche and Chiron's functionality at a much smaller scale.

13 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Great solutions for both axles :thumbup: I really like the idea of reversing the rear one. Amazing job and incredible speed of design. I suppose a video is in order. I assume it is possible to build it in red as well and maybe some other colours too.

Since bodywork uses very standard pieces, it should be possible to build it in yellow, red, black, orange, blue, azure and even dark blue with slight changes.

11 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Fantastic work, everything looks great.  How are the gears selected?  I'm having trouble spotting it.

The round 2x2 cylinder between the seats changes the gears, just like 42110.

Great model with alot of functions, but the superlong rear behind the roof feels very off to me. 

Have you considered using the 7L angled panel instead of the 11L you have now? If you'd place the 7L panel and have it end at the same spot above the rear wheelarch I think this would improve the look from the side by making the side window look bigger and the rear look shorter. I can't see clearly if my suggestion of a 4 studs shorter panel would clash with the roof mechanism in the middle though. 

56 minutes ago, Appie said:

Great model with alot of functions, but the superlong rear behind the roof feels very off to me. 

Same thoughts.

@Zerobricks Your model seem to look like a 4-door saloon car. Have you considered changing body from 2-door to a 4-door vehicle? It may not have the interior for back seats, but could look a little more proportional.

1 hour ago, Appie said:

Have you considered using the 7L angled panel instead of the 11L you have now? If you'd place the 7L panel and have it end at the same spot above the rear wheelarch I think this would improve the look from the side by making the side window look bigger and the rear look shorter. I can't see clearly if my suggestion of a 4 studs shorter panel would clash with the roof mechanism in the middle though. 

8 minutes ago, zux said:

Same thoughts.

@Zerobricks Your model seem to look like a 4-door saloon car. Have you considered changing body from 2-door to a 4-door vehicle? It may not have the interior for back seats, but could look a little more proportional.

I could use shorter panels and extend the roof to make it longer, but than I would lose the ability of the foldable roof. I can't installed additional doors due to the issues with structural stability.

I did a quick sketch of the extended roof in LDD and....I don't like it... I loose foldable roof and therefore access to gearbox and steering wheel.

800x423.jpg

Edited by Zerobricks

I don't think you need to extend the roof though, just have the 7L panels touch the rear edge of your normal one, but again, I can't tell if the mechanism for the folding will fit then, width wise I mean mostly.

Looking at your sketch though, this would look weird with the roof down with the 7L panels that far behind the seats (even though your sketch has the panels 1 stud further back than your 11L panels) with nothing there inbetween, which can't be helped since the gearbox is below that.

I think I'd personally still pick the 7L panels over the 11L, because if the folding mechanism would fit between the 7L panels it at least doesn't look off with the roof up and only a little weird with the roof down, instead of weird (imo) in both cases with the 11L panels.

Edited by Appie

I'm just amazed how many function you've put into this relatively small box! Congratulations!

Thanks for all the praise, everyone.

Enjoy the video of the muscle car in action:

Edited by Zerobricks