I loved the building process for the 3T Sports Sedan so much that I started another car. The 3T car needed a friend, and like every car maker who creates a competent sedan and follows it up with a CUV, I will too.

Nope. I'm making a sports car.

Again, this will be a mid-scale manual sports car with following features in order of priority:

• Suspension
  • Rear wheel drive
  • HOG steering
  • Steering wheel
  • Sequential 4 speed transmission (currently this one, thanks @Didumos69)
  • Mid engined Flat 4
  • Discrete gear-change function
  • Design language similar to the 3T

Here is the first draft with a Porsche Cayman in the back of my mind, and you'll note a couple of problems already.

44244356645_9a8ccf21cb_b.jpg

The suspension is set, and will not change much. The hardpoints are also set, so the wheel base will not change, the rear overhang, height, and width will not change, and the seat and steering wheel placement will not change. Everything else may require some shifting, such as the length and front overhang, and internal placement of components.  

I do not like the HOG placement, and connecting the steering wheel is going to cause some problems at this point. So I could move the transmission back to the center of the car, and connect the steering wheel and place the HOD on the dash. I could also move the engine behind the rear axle which could lower it by one stud, and bring 6 pistons. But then there is no way this does not finish as a 911. What do you think. Move the engine to the back? Or keep the cabin of the car cluttered with steering and drivetrain parts?

I do not have a solution for the changeover yet, so will be coming once I know where everything is placed.

Edited by Thirdwigg

I’d move the transmission and engine rear wards. As long as the engine is at least partially over the rear axle it should look good

i guess you like cars with flat engines :)

Edited by Seasider

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

i guess you like cars with flat engines :)

That's the signature engine of Thirdwigg Motors!

@Seasider I know, I have a thing for flat engines. I guess I am making a signature for the company @letsbuild.

If I move the engine back, I'll move it behind the axle. Otherwise it will be too tall, and it will look like this. No good. I guess being a 911 is not all bad.

Keep building! I love this style and scale. What about smaller engine like in Mack?

On 10/9/2018 at 10:03 AM, rm8 said:

Keep building! I love this style and scale. What about smaller engine like in Mack?

I don't like those little engine very much. I think I found a good solution by extending the wheelbase by a stud. I'll build it, and see if I like it.

And we're back. 

45015358255_ca61bab5cf_b.jpg

I have rebuilt the chassis three times since the last post. The transmission has been moved rearward and is in and working. I settled on a mid-mounted Flat 4 engine with a four speed sequential transmission. It would have fit behind the rear axle, but then it would have become a 911. Not a bad thing, but not the goal. The HOG is in and working, as is the steering wheel.

The chassis could use a little more stiffness, so I'll work on that. Generally, I like where the body work is headed. 

Right now I need a good changeover idea to the orange axle in the "frunk" for gearbox. I like both the Bugatti and @Charbel 919 solution, but both are a little large. I'll see if I can get them a little smaller. I have 9Wx6Lx6H to work with in the front. Any ideas would be welcome. Right now, I am using the 12z gear out the front to test functionality which looks a little clunky. 

21 hours ago, Seasider said:

@Thirdwigg are you doing this in just brick or LDD too?

so the gear at the front it the gearbox controller at the moment? Where do you want it to be?

Just in real brick. I might do a version in LDD when I am done.

The gear at the front right now is the controller, but I would like to have a stepper mechanism that selects the gears. The front of the car is the only space I have for it now. Next I am going to try some options.

8 hours ago, super-jaschka said:

I already want to build this car:moar:
boxes open:wink:

When I finish it, I'll let everyone know how to build it. Glad you like it.

How about making the stepper operate by pushing on panels of the bodywork? So for example push down on the left side of the bonnet to change gears 1 way and push the right side for the other?

19 hours ago, Seasider said:

How about making the stepper operate by pushing on panels of the bodywork? So for example push down on the left side of the bonnet to change gears 1 way and push the right side for the other?

So far this may have to be the solution I go with. My hope is to push the left and right side of the grill to go up and down, but there are some complication with that.

The axle coming out of the front of the car with a 12z gear on the end is the control for the gearbox: 90 degrees for each of the four speeds.

I will now work to add a stepper, of which one of these four great designs will need to be used. Clockwise from top left:

@Didumos69 Here

@Charbel Here

LEGO Technic Master's Here

TLG Bugatti Chiron Here (thanks again for your photos @Jim)

@steph77 did an update of version 3 that might work the best. His version is here and shows the most promise as I think I can get a non-descript lever on the front bumper.

45955180251_0aff74f9cc_b.jpg

I'm open to other suggestions if you have them. I'll try adding them in tonight to see what can work.

Nice work! Glad you could use my photo.

I am back to this project. The frame is about done, and I have finalized the bodywork. Here is the rolling chassis.

48953910411_1e632125d9_b.jpg

48953910571_1846a92dca_b.jpg

This is a lovely project, I would like to see some more pics about the bodywork.

But to be honest, in case a remotely operated sequential gearbox I really see no point in remote shifter flaps. It's not realistic at all but takes up a lot of space, I think a simple Land Rover style dial would suffice (I know a lot of great designers do that, but still). It's only an opinion, of course, and maybe I think this because I haven't tried this setup yet. Maybe changing the gears with the flaps is so satisfactory that I would change my mind...

14 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I am back to this project. The frame is about done, and I have finalized the bodywork. Here is the rolling chassis.

Cool! I really like the body shape. As @Lipko I'd also like to see more pictures about it. To be completely honest I'm not so much interested in the technology beneath it :blush:, but it looks very sophisticated and like a great building experience. Do you have an idea about how many parts are in use?

Fear not @Lipko, shifter flaps did not make the final cut. Not on the steering wheel, and not under the front hood as I was working on. While a changeover would fit ahead of the front axle, and having a mechanism to actuate with a finger took too much away from the look of the car. I have settled on a simple gear that you may access by opening the hood. It keeps the lines clean, and you can still change the gears well. 

@johnnym The 3T car was 1657 parts, and this should be a little less than that. Maybe 1300 or so.

Glad you like it so far @TechnicRCRacer 

Sorry I don't have something more current as both cars are in a period of transition, but here is a photo that will give you a good idea of some of the design progression. I'm still not sold on the taillights, and the area over the side windows, but I'll get there soon.

48957847733_26d06f39e1_b.jpg

Love this model. Aboslutely awesome! But, why don't you use small piston engine?

13 minutes ago, rm8 said:

Love this model. Aboslutely awesome! But, why don't you use small piston engine?

For no other reason than I think they look funny. I get their application, and they are a neat use of parts, but I still love the look and function of the piston, crankshaft, and connecting arm parts. 

Excellent little car! I never thought so many functions can be fit in such a small car. Looking forward to final report!

Areyou always working on two models? I mean on two replicas of the same model...

Edited by MajklSpajkl

17 minutes ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Are you always working on two models? I mean on two replicas of the same model...

Nope. Particularly with cars, after I nail down the internal features and a general chassis, I place the external panels and bodywork generally where I want it as I go. Since the exterior is the hardest part for me, I don't trust myself to finalize all the internal structure for the external parts as this may change. So the inside ends up being a mess when the MOC gets close to completion. When I am satisfied with the body work, I will start over to rebuild the chassis in the best way that has all the parts for the body work needed. The mess MOC stays to the side as a template, while final MOC gets finished in a comprehensive way.