Excellent review @Jim. I was already in love with this set and your review with all the excellent pictures and the wonderful write up has made it an absolutely do not miss set for me. The only disappointment (slight) in terms of the parts is that the curved panels 2 and 4 are missing but that can be ignored.

A little off topic - what is that "Reviewers Academy Approved Review"?

8 hours ago, chezzymann said:

Just saying I am really interested in this. People have charted legos average price per piece over time but it would be really interesting if we could find out price per graham of ABS. I have a feeling its risen rapidly over the past 10 years, more than inflation.  And maybe even convert that back into a brick and say "this set is on average .7 cents for a 1x3 brick". If you ever find that data make a thread please! 

I did make a thread about the "redundancy" issue explained in my post. 

Like I said, I will look for the data on piece count versus weight as a predictor of price point. However, video posted by @allanp is a great starting point. 

On 8/1/2018 at 8:44 PM, Jim said:

Yup, some things seem to be exaggerated. Upside, when you are done, you will hardly notice it :wink: 

Well, except for the yellow thin liftarms. You can still those clearly. Black would have been better.

Luckily, you're right. After finishing the chassis, it's mostly just black. Some orange, green and yellow liftarms show through but that's nothing compared to the fruit salad before the last stages of the chassis.

Plus the chassis has impressive dimensions and weight. Working on the upper body now with 250 pages to go...

Just saw the review! It was inteesting to read, thank you, Jim!

I loved reading your review, Jim. The crane looks great, but personally I find the lack of a proper B-model a disgrace. It actually goes against the philosophy of Lego that you can make anything out of a set (well, especially if that set contains more than 4000 pieces). Even if the B-model would only contain about half of the pieces as the A-model, it would have been way better than trying to use them all and ending up with a copy of the A-model. 

1 minute ago, m00se said:

I loved reading your review, Jim. The crane looks great, but personally I find the lack of a proper B-model a disgrace. It actually goes against the philosophy of Lego that you can make anything out of a set (well, especially if that set contains more than 4000 pieces). Even if the B-model would only contain about half of the pieces as the A-model, it would have been way better than trying to use them all and ending up with a copy of the A-model. 

I cannot agree with you more. It would have been so cool to get a proper B-model, like the 42055 BWE. 

Maybe you can get this model and make a C-model to use in the next contest :wink: :laugh:

Thanks for the Review.

A single question. Does the motorized rotation works with the 60 tooth turntable or with the ring gears?

21 minutes ago, efferman said:

Thanks for the Review.

A single question. Does the motorized rotation works with the 60 tooth turntable or with the ring gears?

It works with the turntable only. There is no gear connected to the ring gears.

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It works with the turntable only. There is no gear connected to the ring gears.

You beat me to it, but indeed, no gear(s) attached to the curved gears.

Hello Jim. Any chance you could take a picture of this next to the 42009 crane or 42043 Arocs? Would like to see a size comparison. Thanks!

5 hours ago, gmshades said:

Hello Jim. Any chance you could take a picture of this next to the 42009 crane or 42043 Arocs? Would like to see a size comparison. Thanks!

Unfortunately no. Don’t have either one built.

Just now, TechnicRCRacer said:

Could you compare it with the BWE?

Unfortunately no :laugh: 

I don’t keep my models built. After a short while I take them apart.

When I have the set I'll take a photo of it together with 42030, 42043, 42055, and 42070. My 42009 had been sacrificed for resurrection of the 8258. I can put 9398 with the squad if requested

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

7 hours ago, gmshades said:

Hello!

I found two pictures for the size comparison of 42009 crane and 42043 Arocs next to 42082:

42929270005_9d94e90119_z.jpg42082_Two_Cranes by David Wardle, on Flickr

lego-technic-gelaendegaengiger-kranwagen

source: https://zusammengebaut.com/lego-technic-gelaendegaengiger-kranwagen-42082-im-review-55125/

4 hours ago, MAG85 said:

Hello!

I found two pictures for the size comparison of 42009 crane and 42043 Arocs next to 42082.

Thank you for the pictures. Looks slightly larger scale, but that's ok for Lego. Definitely a buy for me. I deliver steel to job sights, and see these cranes all the time. 

Just few words to say thanks to Jim to featured my model C (still not published yet), and many thanks for those for like it. Juste few clarification about designing process. It do not used any elements / sub assembly of the 42082, this is not the same chassis or other because totally different. This is closer from the volvo wheel loader than the 42082. And regarding the time to deisgn it, I do nto make it in a couple of day but more, I have th opportunity to have the set a bit in advance so I did that after building the B model :)

Just now, nico71 said:

I have th opportunity to have the set a bit in advance so I did that after building the B model :)

You decided to build the loader, or did it just evolved trough building process?

I have build the A model, then B model (with only dismantling the turret), and then decide to take apart the whole set to build a proper C model. I have chosen a wheel loader because this is an interesting vehicle to have fun functions manual like steering, drives, opening elements, and other bored function to motorized like the raising and tilting of the fork independetely. Therefore, the playbility of this is very good for me and it used the limited stock of red color pretty fine. Your C model of the 42054 has been an inspiration despite the dimensions and the design approach which is different.

I have edited the part that @nico71 used the same chassis. There was a misunderstanding, but that is obviously not the case.

Thank you Jim !

And for those for ask about the quality of picture for the C model, yes Jim give me good advice and I use it for my picture with nex setup, lens, and editing software :)