Jim

[TC14] Technic Theme Park Contest - Information Topic - Deadline 7th of September

19 hours ago, Jim said:

Maybe we can do something about it. We need to make the contest a two-stage contest, where it's mandatory to post your discussion/wip topic after four weeks (halfway through the contest). Something like that.

I think the intention is good, but let's keep in mind that not everybody has enough free time during the contest. Somebody might have some time during the first weeks of the contest but not thereafter etc. So you might end up with a smaller number of participants, and we don't want that either.

52 minutes ago, m00se said:

I think the intention is good, but let's keep in mind that not everybody has enough free time during the contest. Somebody might have some time during the first weeks of the contest but not thereafter etc. So you might end up with a smaller number of participants, and we don't want that either.

True. That’s why it’s hard to implement.

About the "video" wins thing: look at my winner entry videos. It's hard to say that they are killer videos. Only my photos are decent. Sheet of paper+natural light+any phone would suffice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8NHws5JEHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GUhA5-52H4

Please, no mandantory WIPs. That minimizez the chances for me to EVER enter a contest again :P Really, making time for a contest is hard by itself, but to be available through he whole contest time... And no chance to one's my mind if one realizes one's model woudln't work and restart from zero.

@Lipko I don’t think a mandatory WIP update would mean you can’t restart a build during a competition. I remember the MASK competition where my WIP thread told the story of how my idea and build changed completely and I had 3 completely different ideas.

The actions to ensure active WIP topics are all WAY to drastic for the goal they're ment to achieve.
If someone really thinks he's better off not showing his WIP, despite the obvious demand for that from the community... then let him be...
I think clearly stating in the contest information topic that it's VERY STRONGLY desired to have an active WIP topic over the entries is the only way NOT to make this a 4772 rule contest.
On top of that the community can also ask for the builders of dormant WIP entry's to update. Showing an interest in someone's build is also a very strong motivator for builders both to build and make WIP updates!

That way it comes down to "us" motivating "us" and that's what a forum like this is all about right?!:sweet:

Edited by shadow_elenter

47 minutes ago, shadow_elenter said:

The actions to ensure active WIP topics are all WAY to drastic for the goal they're ment to achieve.
If someone really thinks he's better off not showing his WIP, despite the obvious demand for that from the community... then let him be...
I think clearly stating in the contest information topic that it's VERY STRONGLY desired to have an active WIP topic over the entries is the only way NOT to make this a 4772 rule contest.
On top of that the community can also ask for the builders of dormant WIP entry's to update. Showing an interest in someone's build is also a very strong motivator for builders both to build and make WIP updates!

That way it comes down to "us" motivating "us" and that's what a forum like this is all about right?!:sweet:

Taking/uploading pictures (even poor quality) and writing up proper text is pretty time demanding. For me, asking me to update would not be motivating but frustrating. When I'm in a rush and hopefully in a flow mind-state, updating the WIP would totally distract me. So I think enforcing would mean decreasing WIP topic quality (I guess I'm not the only one with this thing).

But if that would be the rule, we would adapt, I guess...

Edited by Lipko

Well, I didn’t decide to build an entry until the last 3 weeks, I put up a WIP pic as much as I could, I even had my wife, who was recovering from a bad cold, film my video while I operated the ride.  And thanks to @Jim, his extension was really the reason I was able to enter (and I thank you @Jim). 

Like I posted earlier, the rules could reward entrants bonus points for posting WIP updates and pictures...  this would have penalized me in this contest because I chose to enter late, so I would have suffered in the WIP judging category.  

On classes and skills and the question of level playing fields, I was wondering if a contest could not have classes based on size and skill, and possibly limiting each class by total number of parts by limiting the parts to specific sets, like C model competition, however, as the skill level goes up, the number of sets in the parts pool goes up as well. This way a 1000 piece model only competes with models of the same size.  So you start at beginner level, your parts list comes from a 1000 part TLG set, intermediate level adds a second model to the list, Advanced adds a third, and Expert is unlimited... you want to join the competition at the beginner level, then you need only own the first set. You want to enter at advanced, if you own those three sets, you are good.  You want to enter as an expert, then you know what snake pit you are getting into and the gloves are off.

These are just ideas... I do know, the more complex the rules are, the less participation you will likely get.  I joined this latest competition because the theme interests me and I got inspired (although late) and I found the time to build and display an entry. I really don’t think we can ask that much more of people especially AFOL’s.  And I understand where the moderators are coming from as well, they want to do things that promote the forum and create content to help defray the costs of running EB, promotes our hobby, and keeps people engaged and discussing all things Lego.  This is to be commended and again I want to thank @Jim and  @Milan for running the contests in the first place.

Either way, I had fun and I am looking forward to the next one already.

Edited by Bublehead
Typo

The next one will follow shortly and will most likely be very simple to enter. And to be honest; I think that the no-edit-video rule will be the only change.

I'm guessing....easier theme, better time of year, pre-announced prizes will probably do the trick. The last thing we all want is an endless number of rules to try to make the contest more active, but probably be only counter productive.

3 minutes ago, shadow_elenter said:

If the whole editing rule is on my account don't bother. I wil not be entering contests any more.

No, it's not on your account. No need to make a mountain out of a molehill. Just a simple rule to nullify the feeling of having a disadvantage when lacking editing skills.

Maybe the next contest doesn't even need a video :laugh:

40 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

On classes and skills and the question of level playing fields, I was wondering if a contest could not have classes based on size and skill, and possibly limiting each class by total number of parts by limiting the parts to specific sets, like C model competition, however, as the skill level goes up, the number of sets in the parts pool goes up as well. This way a 1000 piece model only competes with models of the same size.  So you start at beginner level, your parts list comes from a 1000 part TLG set, intermediate level adds a second model to the list, ...

Personally I came out of the dark ages by impulsively buying the bucket wheel excavator. So a beginner is definitely not a synonym for having only small sets. Also, not everyone keeps their sets separate, so this rule might limit the number of participants. 

41 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

Either way, I had fun

I wholeheartedly agree, this is by far the single most important about those contests! The only new rule I would like to propose is that "No rule shall be implemented that is not beneficial to the enjoyment of building Lego Technic".

1 hour ago, Bublehead said:

On classes and skills and the question of level playing fields, I was wondering if a contest could not have classes based on size and skill, and possibly limiting each class by total number of parts by limiting the parts to specific sets, like C model competition, however, as the skill level goes up, the number of sets in the parts pool goes up as well. This way a 1000 piece model only competes with models of the same size.  So you start at beginner level, your parts list comes from a 1000 part TLG set, intermediate level adds a second model to the list, Advanced adds a third, and Expert is unlimited... you want to join the competition at the beginner level, then you need only own the first set. You want to enter at advanced, if you own those three sets, you are good.  You want to enter as an expert, then you know what snake pit you are getting into and the gloves are off.

This is definitely something we have been thinking about, and is still high on the list :wink: 

42 minutes ago, Jim said:

That would make an interesting contest!

2 hours ago, Jim said:

The next one will follow shortly and will most likely be very simple to enter. And to be honest; I think that the no-edit-video rule will be the only change.

I won't participate to contests anymore then. Seriously, why ? 

Having two categories is a very nice idea though.

The editing skills of some builders are just as inspiring as their builds, so why rule them out? In any case, I'd like to think that votes are cast based on the quality of the build and not the video - or have so many voters dumbed themselves down to Serena-Williams level?

I think that it's nice to have beautiful videos. Asking good builders to do something less good doesn't seem be a good solution.

Just having a second ranking without the "pros" seem enough to give everyone the possibility to get a good place.

10 hours ago, Jim said:

I'm guessing....easier theme, better time of year, pre-announced prizes will probably do the trick. The last thing we all want is an endless number of rules to try to make the contest more active, but probably be only counter productive.

I agree, more rules only makes for a more complicated contest...

9 hours ago, Jim said:

While that might be a nice idea, it would also probably mean that builders will focus less on functions, due to not having a way to show them.

7 hours ago, Akbalder said:

Just having a second ranking without the "pros" seem enough to give everyone the possibility to get a good place.

+1

Okay, enough has been said about the contest. I have noticed that discussion in the "current contest topic" kinda ruins the fun. So let's end the discussion for now end enjoy the end of this contest.

Thank you all for your input. I will take things into consideration :thumbup:

@seinfeldpt Can you correct your votes?

3: 10 
1: 6
5: 4
4: 3
2: 2
3: 1

You have voted for entry 3 twice.

Same goes for NEW member @Monforte who has made the EXACT same error and has the EXACT same votes :hmpf_bad:

3: 10 
1: 6
5: 4
4: 3
2: 2
3: 1

Both from Portugal, like Entry #3 @tkel86

This is not looking good. 

This contest will most likely be the end of public voting :sadnew:

2 hours ago, Jim said:

This contest will most likely be the end of public voting :sadnew:

Well, that's how it is in America nowadays. I would like to see just a jury vote sometime.

Voting should be limited to Technic forum members only who have been active in the past six months before start date for contest.

Plus a jury vote.

Edited by Doug72

17 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Voting should be limited to Technic forum members only who have been active in the past six months before start date for contest.

Plus a jury vote.

That would be a great alteration, but that could mean some could still rig. There always is that doubt.