Jim

[TC14] Technic Theme Park Contest - Information Topic - Deadline 7th of September

TC14-ThemePark.jpg

TECHNIC THEME PARK CONTEST
The last couple of years TLG has released several theme park rides in the Creator Expert theme. Recently, even a big rollercoaster has been released. We have seen some cool Technic creations in the past and there's even a very cool one being built in the Technic forum right now.
So, why not have a Technic Theme Park Contest?

DESCRIPTION
Build a Theme Park Ride!

The ride needs to be operable, so it needs to be a working ride. Functions can be operated manually or motorized. Motorization isn't mandatory. It can also be a combination of manual and motorized functions. You can use any official LEGO motor or electronics you can find, including Mindstorms. SBrick, Buwizz, PFx Bricks and custom LED solutions ARE permitted too. No sculpting, cutting or gluing pieces and no other 3rd party parts (besided electronics and the usual strings, hoses and bands).

There is some difference between theme parks, amusement parks and fairgrounds, but for this contest the difference doesn't matter. You can build any ride, but we will use the term Theme Park for this contest. It doesn't even have to be an existing ride. You can come up with your own ride!
However, this contest is about the ride, so NO trucks or trailers, just the ride. Of course, you can include Minifigs and use System parts (Modelbuilder style) to decorate the ride.

DEADLINE
Deadline date is Monday 3rd of September, 2018. Contest will be closed on Tuesday 4th of September, OR LATER.

Disclaimer: I will close the contest when I see fit and when I have the time to process the results. This can be later than the deadline date. Please don't complain about this not being fair and all.

RULES AND REGULATIONS
The following section describes the contest specific and general rules and regulations. But before that, please take notice of a simple motto regarding the Eurobricks Contests:

CONTESTS ARE FOR FUN!

Of course there's competition, but at the end of the day, LEGO is just a hobby and the main goal for each of us is to have fun!

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Each entry needs to have a name (no name, no entry).
  • Building/including a truck or trailer for the ride is not permitted.
  • Including Minifigs is permitted.
  • Model Team style building is permitted.
  • Mindstorms, SBrick, Buwizz, PFx Brick and third party custom LED solutions are permitted.
  • 3rd party Strings, Hoses and Rubber Bands are permitted.
  • 3rd party tires are not permitted.
  • Other 3rd party parts, besides electronics, are not permitted.
  • There is no size limit.
  • You can use non-LEGO elements for containing and/or transferring/transporting water

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members who joined EB after the start of the contest can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me, or Milan.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Custom stickers are allowed.
  • No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • The contest might be closed later than the deadline. Don't complain about this not being fair.
  • You have enough time to build. Don't ask for more time.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Jury members are not eligible to participate.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?
All participant need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [TC14].
  • A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should NOT be used to "reserve an idea".

ENTRY POST
The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Entry name.
  • One or more pictures (max 3 of max 1024x1024).
  • Embedded video (mandatory).
  • Link to the discussion topic.

VOTING
Voting scheme will be 50-50, so member votes count for 50% and jury votes count for 50%.

Voting criteria are (in no particular order):

• Originality.
  • Looks (shape, color scheme etc).
  • Quality of the build.
  • Functionality.

PRIZES
Top 3 winners will get a medal tag, frontpage and entry in the HoF. There might even be some actual prizes :wink: 

There's no size limmit, so I guess .... yes.

This will be a lot of fun I guess.

I have one minifigure, let's make it poop it's little Lego pants ! :excited:

10 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Can Technic Figures be allowed too?

Yeah of course!! Even better than Minifigs :wink: 

Sorry for the second Question @Jim but as we can use 3rd party strings etc would there be any issue with using springs extracted from Technic Shock Absorbers as a stand alone part ?

2 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Sorry for the second Question @Jim but as we can use 3rd party strings etc would there be any issue with using springs extracted from Technic Shock Absorbers as a stand alone part ?

I'd say no. Feels a bit like cutting pieces (although I know there won't be any cutting).

Finally! Got some cool ideas too. This is definitely a welcomed new idea for a contest!

I'm glad to see such enthusiasm! We liked the idea as well, but we weren't sure if it would be feasible.

27 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'm glad to see such enthusiasm! We liked the idea as well, but we weren't sure if it would be feasible.

It will be feasible without coasters too.

The first idea that comes to mind is a Ferris wheel, but I'm not sure that is going to have much of a wow factor.  

Can I put transportation wheels underneath, They will lift to move the ride. not exactly a trailer, but kind-of. 

3 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

Can I put transportation wheels underneath, They will lift to move the ride. not exactly a trailer, but kind-of. 

This contest is not about transporting the ride, so I'm inclined to say no.

But I will discuss it with @Milan

Just now, Jim said:

This contest is not about transporting the ride, so let's keep it static.

Ok, thats fine.

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

Ok, thats fine.

See my edited response. I will discuss it with Milan, but I think the answer will be No.

However, maybe I am missing some arguments for Yes.

Either way, this contest should focus on the ride.

This is an interesting theme. A theme that could have been expected, in a way, but that I somehow didn't see coming. I do have a few ideas immediately (which is a sign it's a good theme), but I notice I mainly think of existing rides, and one of them rather simple, so it might not score high on originality, and the complexity and impressiveness that usually gathes some votes too.

Also, I don't have the required 'figs :P (I know they are not required, but I think they do add something here.)

One thing I'm a bit afraid for is that those who will decorate their ride extensively will get the most votes, which would turn this basicaly into a modeling competition rather than a Technic competition. But let's hope that both the voters and the judges will decide using Technic-minded voting criteria.

Anyhow, this will be some real fun getting to build and seeing all the other builds. I'm really looking forward to both :)

10 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

One thing I'm a bit afraid for is that those who will decorate their ride extensively will get the most votes

Forget about this, just build

Just now, Jim said:

See my edited response. I will discuss it with Milan, but I think the answer will be No.

However, maybe I am missing some arguments for Yes.

Either way, this contest should focus on the ride.

It doesn't have to be there, but makes it closer to reality. they can just be finely positioned that way

Just realized I hadn't clicked submit hours ago :facepalm:.

I got a motion simulator that I built a very long time ago, and there's a post here in eurbricks with it as well.

I never got it fully working though, would it be allowed to finish it up for the competition or should I start on something new?

Would rollercoaster carts (or similar objects that transport people on rides) count as 'trailers' in this context?

4 hours ago, The_Icestorm said:

Would rollercoaster carts (or similar objects that transport people on rides) count as 'trailers' in this context?

No, of course not. 

At last, I've been waiting for this! I've already got one idea, I'm not sure if it's the one I'll build, but if TC12 is anything to go by, it probably will be... and will use a heap of chain parts...

This is an awesome topic. Too bad I won't have time for this, but I would go for a manual but easy to motorize model, that's sure. Something not too big but complex with only one input.

Edited by Lipko

By the way; I like to make something clear. For the Jury voting it is absolutely NOT BETTER to cover all the Technic with System parts. Of course, you are allowed to add System parts to make it look better, but that doesn't mean it will score better than a 100% Technic model. 

Don't try to use System parts to make the ride "better".

Personally, and I am in the Jury hehe, I would love to see a pure Technic ride. Of course, with a small number of System parts, just like in actual Technic sets.

Just so you know :wink:

11 minutes ago, Jim said:

you are allowed to add System parts to make it look better, but that doesn't mean it will score better than a 100% Technic model.

Fully agreed.
Most of real life Theme parks machines are built to be strong and light, meaning lots of beams, cables and skeletal constructions.

About wheels, and considering the theme, I would say No for using wheels as a meana of transportation/moving a model.
You can, ofc, use wheels in your design as a part of machine's function.

This is an awesome idea for a contest.  I expect to see a lot of really interesting creations as a result, and I may even take part this time!