Ecclesiastes

10261 LEGO Creator Expert Roller Coaster

29 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I am torn between ninjago city and this. Been going back and forth in my mind for weeks. 

I'd go with Ninjago City first. Both are huge, but the level of detail and the fun in building Ninjago City are far, far greater than with the Rollercoaster.

Plus, it's cheaper, it has more pieces and it's older (so it might retire sooner).

12 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I'd go with Ninjago City first. Both are huge, but the level of detail and the fun in building Ninjago City are far, far greater than with the Rollercoaster.

Plus, it's cheaper, it has more pieces and it's older (so it might retire sooner).

I don't think I'll be able to have the room (and justify the $$$) for both. Roller Coaster just looks so boring and tedious to build. 

I have finished building this behemoth and here are some thoughts:

• The build can get a bit repetitive. This is the first time I have ever wished for a non-seniorized (the forum replaces the term I wanted to use with '<insert that tiresome argument>' :look:) piece. I am sure your fingers will do the same after sliding 300+ white round bricks on technic axles.
  • The pacing of the build is great though. The coaster is divided in two sections which take roughly the same time to build. Each section starts out by laying out the floor plan. Then the supporting frame is built. Fitting the roller coaster pieces is very satisfying. Inbetween there are some awesome mini-builds to break up the monotony. The stalls and the cotton candy car (in the Netherlands they are called suikerspinnen or sugar spiders) are nice but my favourite is the COASTER logo, which just is a work of art in itself.
  • The finished model is just huge. Make sure you actually have room to display it. It genuinely is a marvelous display piece and people of all ages will love to play with it (at least all my employees did).
  • The main attraction (:grin:) of the model is its functionality. The roller coaster performs splendidly. The chain lift, the pusher wheels at the top, the siding, the station brake and the pusher wheel at the station all work together very well. The station pusher wheel has a limiting mechanism so you can't turn it the wrong way. My only criticism is that the main drive should have a similar system.
  • if you add a PF M motor, you can put the roller coaster in a continuous loop, which works equally well.
  • In what must have been over 200 rounds, the train has not gotten stuck once. Of course, you have to be vary careful to make sure everything is connected properly but once it is, it tends to stay put. 
  • The coaster comes with two three-car trains. It is also possible to join them together to form a six car train, but some minor modifications are needed. The wheels on the top tend to conflict which each other. This is easily solved by removing the first and the third pusher wheel. The six car train is a bit slower and more stable, but it won't fit in the station. I guess it all comes down to preference.
  • Unless you want to build bigger coasters (and why wouldn't you), this is a poor parts pack. There are 200+ chain links, 300+ white round bricks and 150+ green 2x2 jumper plates but there must be cheaper ways to get them than a €350 set.
Edited by DaFokka

12 hours ago, DaFokka said:

The coaster comes with two three-car trains. It is also possible to join them together to form a six car train, but some minor modifications are needed. The wheels on the top tend to conflict which each other. This is easily solved by removing the first and the third pusher wheel. The six car train is a bit slower and more stable, but it won't fit in the station. I guess it all comes down to preference.

Have you any videos of a six-car train running with the track modifications you describe? 

I love the scale of this set.  It is massive!  I'm looking forward to seeing more sets that use the rollercoaster concept.  I've ridden a rollercoaster called the Ninja before, maybe LEGO will eventually do a Ninjago rollercoaster!

One small element I really like is the hat on the ground.  A nice touch!

On 5/21/2018 at 9:26 PM, Brickplay said:

A Ninjago roller coaster could be cool

I suppose such a set would be dubbed... The Ninja-Ghoster:laugh:

Just posted this in my review but wanted to pose the question here as well, how has everyone been faring when it comes to extra parts and missing parts?

To quote myself,

I am missing one element, a white 1x2 plate with hinge replacing one of the studs. This set has a ton of that part and that's easy enough to get a replacement of from LEGO. but, I had a lot of spare pieces...pieces that are not even supposed to be in this set!! Did anyone get these elements in their set?

27526046307_f673f70917_n.jpg

3 minutes ago, VBBN said:

Just posted this in my review but wanted to pose the question here as well, how has everyone been faring when it comes to extra parts and missing parts?

To quote myself,

I am missing one element, a white 1x2 plate with hinge replacing one of the studs. This set has a ton of that part and that's easy enough to get a replacement of from LEGO. but, I had a lot of spare pieces...pieces that are not even supposed to be in this set!! Did anyone get these elements in their set?

I didn't get those. I didn't have a lot of spare pieces either.

So, I want to modify this set and I am currently exploring some options I want to give a try. These are my ideas:

• An animal theme; I really like the idea of a 'King Kong' that is trying to grab the cart with his hand. It would also fit in with the Carousel and can motorized as if it would really grab the cart. 
  • A space theme; Not really my favourite, but it is an option. I would like a shuttle where the carts go up as if they are going into space. Haven't really thought this out.
  • A Jurassic Park theme; my least favourite, but I still include it here.
  • A Nexo Knight theme; I came up with this idea because I like the figures and the color scheme of season one matches with the rollercoaster. The idea is to make Clay his sword as a build where the carts go up. There could be some fire pits where the carts go down and/or maybe a giant Jestro that is controlling the entire thing. 

However it's better if I focus on 1 particular theme instead of trying different things, so what do you think. And do you have any ideas you would want to add to the theme. Maybe there are some builders who want to brainstorm about it and even build it together. 

As a side note: I don't really want a Super Heroes or Star Wars theme as that would be something everybody would think of. I also don't think it will match that great with the other existing theme park sets. 

Your animal theme sounds really interesting.  I would say go with that one.  I would advise against Nexo Knights, but that's just my opinion...

Edited by x105Black

This set looks so cool, I've always been obsessed with rollercoasters!

But I am not sure if I should go for this one as my second set or another modular building. Right now I am working on the Detective's Office, which I enjoy very much. It would be nice to add another building like the Brick Bank or Assembly square, but the Rollercoaster is so cool as well. Decisions, decisions... :look:

On 5/27/2018 at 7:48 PM, VBBN said:

To quote myself,

After every large build, I go to Bricklink and check out the parts inventory.  At the bottom there is a section with a list of extra items.  I compare each one to make sure it matches and I didn't accidentally miss one:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=10261-1#T=I

Don't know if anyone else has done this, but I figured out how to make a smooth banked corner. Would probably work better without the coaster going round the first corner right at the bottom but even with it, still works smoothly. Starts from the height of the top of the chain driven slope. I feel it also opens up lots of different possibilities, which I have yet to explore, and probably won't for a while. But I'd be interested to see if anyone else does! 

Lego 10261 Rollercoaster banked corner

On 7-6-2018 at 7:28 AM, Fuppylodders said:

Don't know if anyone else has done this, but I figured out how to make a smooth banked corner. Would probably work better without the coaster going round the first corner right at the bottom but even with it, still works smoothly. Starts from the height of the top of the chain driven slope. I feel it also opens up lots of different possibilities, which I have yet to explore, and probably won't for a while. But I'd be interested to see if anyone else does! 

I have figured that out. though i only have the pirate coaster so i can not make it work. great to se someone try it out on the large coaster.

On 24 May 2018 at 11:27 AM, DaFokka said:

• Unless you want to build bigger coasters (and why wouldn't you), this is a poor parts pack. There are 200+ chain links, 300+ white round bricks and 150+ green 2x2 jumper plates but there must be cheaper ways to get them than a €350 set.

Let me introduce you to bricks and pieces, lego's own individual pieces service.

On 1 June 2018 at 1:16 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's a parts-centric review of the Rollercoaster for anyone interested:

New Elementary - LEGO® CREATOR 10261 ROLLER COASTER

On 7-6-2018 at 12:00 PM, SollX said:

I have figured that out. though i only have the pirate coaster so i can not make it work. great to se someone try it out on the large coaster.

Hi. Please don't quote big images. Especially if they are on the same page. Thanks.

Someone made a moc with 3 sets to include a loop!

Also designer Interview with Jamie Berard:

Edited by kasmca

2 hours ago, kasmca said:

Just saw that video and it is amazing! Absolutely crazy and high but I am really hyped to see what is possible with the track system :wub:

8 hours ago, kasmca said:

:oh:

What a day to be alive..... 

AMAZING

8 hours ago, kasmca said:

Man that is one hell-a-climb to the top, good to see a loop is doable though. 

Impressive! I was wondering how long it would take until someone would try exactly that.
It's more than just ugly though! :grin:
And it's quite costly too. Because if I see it correctly, the loop requires the "valley piece" 8 times. The "hill piece" counterpart is rather unusable for such unorthodox builds since you can't connect it to anything else but the 45° slope I suppose?