7 hours ago, Ctan said:

I'll post my work in progress

Thank you very much.

My wallet winced because now i'm in love with this set. I won't be able to wait for the price to go down :wub:

All-wheel-drive with Ackermann and this awesome compact construction. :drool:

I realise that a centre diff isn't needed, but still it would have been nice to have :grin:

3 hours ago, RonnyN said:

On the back of the instructions book, there's a 7-digit number that starts with 6. 
Can you please post it?

Dziękuję Ci!

Why would you need that, sounds a bit nefarious to my conspiracy minded views. 

green and yellow beams in the chassis. I do not like it.

lots of asymmetrical panels (I mean without Left/Right counterpart), I do not like it.

part of the parts list missing, cropped, but even what I saw is ok.

still I like the set very much. 

Edited by J_C

5 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

I really don't understand how using one color over another constitutes laziness but okay, honestly that term gets thrown around so much on this forum that it could mean just about anything. 

I usually am not bothered by the color variations that much, however I might be on this one. I will get this set and build, then if I don't like the "color vomit" I will change it. Fortunately all those pieces are fairly common and I have gobs of them in black, dark grey and light grey not sure which color would best fit. Hopefully not to much of it shows and I can just go with it the way it is. This will be my biggest build to date so I am really looking forward to it. 

Like what I see so far in those pictures, thanks Ctan.

As mentioned in my post, it is not this example of using "one color variation" that leads me to the conclusion of laziness.  If the narrative for color variation is to ease the building process, then like I said, I understand that.  It makes sense.  Don't like it, but at least the rationale is there.  But then to go far out in left field and do the orange fan, I think breaks the rationale of the "ease of building" narrative.  How can it ease the build?  There is only one of that piece in the model, and the fan does not lie flush with other like-colored pieces which is the rationale of distinction from other pieces.  I mean, I guess one can make the argument like @Kaanere that the fan color is akin to yellow piston heads in LBG engine blacks, but I disagree with that.  In that example the piston's are right up against other like-colored pieces (engine blocks) so differentiating colors would make sense.  In this crane, the fan, IMO is closer to non-LBG elements (mostly surrounded by black) so if it came out in LBG then it should not be a big deal.  Essentially, the narrative of color differentiation does not work for this element; there must be a different reason, thus my conclusion. 

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

This might be required when you order pieces from S@H service webpage or calling them.

Just now, zux said:

This might be required when you order pieces from S@H service webpage or calling them.

It is. 

@nerdsforprez I see what you mean now, maybe the fan is orange for safety reasons. 

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

It will give us access to the instructions in PDF format. Nothing nefarious, and perhaps you should ask questions before accusing people...

Just now, RonnyN said:

It will give us access to the instructions in PDF format. Nothing nefarious, and perhaps you should ask questions before accusing people...

I did ask, not accusing you of anything, please don't be offended, it was intended as a lighthearted comment. 

Thank you for the images of the build process @Ctan, curious to see the upper part as well. I'm a bit surprised the set uses the Unimog portal axle parts. Seems the pivot points are rather far inwards as a consequence. I was expecting Claas hubs, but maybe the steering angles are too small on those?.

36 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I was expecting Claas hubs, but maybe the steering angles are too small on those?.

As it looks in the pictures, the steering angle is already really small. The 7L gear rack has only about 1 stud of deplacement, and the steering arms seem to be 4 studs long. That's quite a bad steering angle (about 15 degrees?) (I hope I see it wrong though.)

Just now, TeamThrifty said:
  • 2M Fric. Snap W/Cross Hole - how come they're all suddenly orange?! 72 of them! 

I thought of that too, when I saw the list. I think it is because it cannot have the same color as the crane itself (red) ??

27 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:
  • 2M Fric. Snap W/Cross Hole - how come they're all suddenly orange?! 72 of them! 

They were orange in the Bugatti too. Guess they needed to ditch some stock :wink: 

1 hour ago, RonnyN said:

Please don’t accuse people of accusing people. That will result in accuseception :tongue:

BI’s indeed have a filename starting with the number 6. Didn’t know this was printed on the booklet :thumbup: 

16 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

2M Fric. Snap W/Cross Hole - how come they're all suddenly orange?! 72 of them! 

It raises important questions... do i create a separate tray in my build area for orange ones?!! :roflmao: 

Those green lift arms are defo going in the 'misc' tray.....

9 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

It raises important questions... do i create a separate tray in my build area for orange ones?!! :roflmao: 

Those green lift arms are defo going in the 'misc' tray.....

Separate. Misc. Unless you build NXT of course :wink: I almost always use red ones.

Okay, sorry. Back to the crane.

Orange was used in the Volvo excavator for safety grabs.  Does that mean our crane operator can grab the fan?   :classic:

I suppose using the same color pieces across multiple themes and sets can help with reducing costs in production and inventory.  What other 2018 sets can the orange fan piece be found in?

@Ngoc Nguyen That would be normal Ackermann, but different to the way LEGO models traditionally do it (8860/8865/8880 etc)

My original post re this was to the query of 'reverse Ackermann', which was suggested as the rack is in front of the wheels.

Normal Ackermann traditionally (in LEGO at least) has the rack behind the wheels with rack pivots narrower than the wheel pivots. But some people fairly recently have designed MOCs where the rack is in front of the wheels but the rack pivots are still narrower the wheel pivots, leading to reverse Ackermann on those models - the inside wheel would turn less than the outside when cornering, which is obviously bad behaviour.

42082 also has the rack in front of the wheels, thus the query about whether the Ackermann was reversed. But, LEGO (Olav?) also correctly made the rack pivots wider than the wheel pivots thus 'reversing' the problem of reverse ackermann - it's just plain normal Ackermann, just reconfigured to how it's 'normally' done in LEGO designed models (8860/8865/8880 etc.

tl;dr 42082 is using proper Ackermann as it should be (4 wheel, which is lucky, as the turning angle looks pretty tiny).

How difficult would it be to do CLAAS hub driven steering? Could you have the U-joint connected to the hub and the CV joint to the differential?

WIP photos of the chassis remembers me my buildings some years ago when I was highly limited to the parts colors/count.

@Jim I saw already your previous post. It seems like you are right.

8 hours ago, RonnyN said:

Yes. If we could get this number we could get a PDF...

6245458/6245460

But it won't work for now..

Screenshot_20180716-080547_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Ctan

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

How difficult would it be to do CLAAS hub driven steering? Could you have the U-joint connected to the hub and the CV joint to the differential?

Not too difficult, but you will need to modify the chassis considerably. You wouldn't need the U-joints, also see here:

6 hours ago, Ctan said:

6245458/6245460

I got different numbers:
6245502/6245504