Jeroen Ottens

[WIP] Miura concept [FKA Codename Silvestros]

10 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

It looks a lot better already, but I still have the feeling there is a 'crack' between the front-section and the mid-section, which is emphasized by the front fenders being straight and the doors being inclined. Also, imo the drop in the hood towards the windscreen is overdone and causes the windscreen to stick out too much.

As for the 'crack', can't you incline the front fenders with the same angle as the doors (so the fender and the doors make parellel lines) and make a small drop with the panel in-between the fender and the door, so they don't make a single straight line. And maybe also incline the rear fender with the same angle. 

This is what I mean (hope you don't mind me photoshopping your image):

960x488.jpg

960x488.jpg?a=1

Edited by Didumos69

4 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

This is what I mean:

That does give a more consistent look, imho that looks better indeed.

So, it was back to the drawingboard again. Battling a throat infection didn't help, but here is the next version. I lowered the roof, made the doorhinge with a 4-link mechanism so it can now sit flush in the bodywork, I also removed the angle and gave the car some rake instead.

44780324140_1a1ac59334_b.jpg

I spend a lot of time on the hood as well. It is getting better, the flow is definitely improved compared to earlier versions, but I am not sold on my central 'column' solution.

46546268032_003ef5e27f_b.jpg

The rear has gotten a facelift as well. It doesn't show on the photos that well, but it is stupendeously wide, which is enhanced with all the horizontal lines in the design. Still, I like it as it is now.

46598055291_6cdb310779_b.jpg

And a final shot to show the total:

45873853044_370d69ef4d_c.jpg

Comments, critique and questions are appreciated.

Jeroen

I like the profile this way with the rake, but I hope you will compensate it somehow with the bodywork to have an even ground clearence.

So with the new modifications it all goes into the right direction - most I like the idea with the rake, although it´s a bit too much as it is now. The lowering of the roof was really neccessary :thumbup:. IMO the widening of the rear axle is a crucial change too and worth to mention - how easy was it to do? I´m interested in the doors hinges too.

I like the new modifications for the most part, though I liked the higher roof. It looks like the roof height is the same at the rear, but you dropped the front, right? The higher roof gave the greenhouse a little more shape.

I don't mind the rake, and it gives the car good "stance" to my eyes.

I tend to like cars with short front overhangs, so this one has a little too much for me. The hood looks great, as do the headlights. Also, I love the splitter. 

The rear looks great. 

8 hours ago, Lipko said:

I like the profile this way with the rake, but I hope you will compensate it somehow with the bodywork to have an even ground clearence.

I think the rake is a bit too much, so I'll tune that down a bit, which will make the need for an even groundclearance also less. Nevertheless I will have a look whether I can do something about that. It will not be easy though, because the black parts are an integral part of the structure of the bodywork. That whole shell is really stiff (even the A-pillars add significant stiffness to the structure through a little pre-tension trick).

7 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

So with the new modifications it all goes into the right direction - most I like the idea with the rake, although it´s a bit too much as it is now. The lowering of the roof was really neccessary :thumbup:. IMO the widening of the rear axle is a crucial change too and worth to mention - how easy was it to do? I´m interested in the doors hinges too.

Thanks. I agree the rake is a bit too much. This was a quick prop-up for the idea, I'll still have to redesign the axles, so I will have some work to tweak it to get the right angles.

The rearaxle was very easy to widen, I just added extra pullywheels to move the wheel outside :laugh: Obviously I will have to redesign the axle to get a proper solution.

I'll make small sketchup of the doorhinge. It is a very compact solution (I used something similar in my Mercedes-AMG GT R doors)

6 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I like the new modifications for the most part, though I liked the higher roof. It looks like the roof height is the same at the rear, but you dropped the front, right? The higher roof gave the greenhouse a little more shape.

I don't mind the rake, and it gives the car good "stance" to my eyes.

I tend to like cars with short front overhangs, so this one has a little too much for me. The hood looks great, as do the headlights. Also, I love the splitter. 

The rear looks great. 

The higher roof was not bad I agree, but since I try to replicate Marco's sketches I am confined to his drawings and there in fact even the current roof is one stud too high. So I will do one more iteration with an even lower roof... Both ends were dropped, but because of the added rake the rear does look a bit higher compared to the front than before.

The front overhang is about one wheel extra, again pretty close to the sketches.

5 hours ago, M_longer said:

It looks better and better with each iteration :)

Thanks, I have the same feeling. Also it literally feels better with each iteration. You can't see it from the photos, but on the inside of the bodywork for each iteration better bracing is added to make that sheel completely self-supporting.

I must say that I really like the flexibility that having a separate bodywork gives me in optimizing the design. I'll definitely will do that again for a next 1:8 scale project (for a 1:10 scale I think it will take too much space).

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

Now it is starting to look as modern Miura... From profile view all is good, only rear has to much gap ?

9 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

This car is looking stunning. One question though, is the bodywork still self-sustaining as it was a few updates ago?

Thanks, yes it is

26 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Now it is starting to look as modern Miura... From profile view all is good, only rear has to much gap ?

Can you elaborate? What gap do you mean?

From the side, the new design looks "simpler". Easier on the eyes, with a straight line running over the top of the doors all the way to the rear. But I'm also afraid that makes it slightly more "boring" - less exciting, so to speak. The roof is now also parallel to that line over the side, where in the previous build there were more "angles".

Not sure if this is fixable though. Maybe the "simpler" design is, in the end, cleaner and more elegant.

Little question: will the sides of the windscreen get a blue touch, you think? Or will it stay black?

I'm not 100% sold on the paneling of the doors, with the two 5x7x2 panels "facing each other" so to speak. If there ever was a case for a 11x5x2 curved panel it would be this. Again, not sure you have any other options here. In any case, I really like the global design and I like how you took on the challenge of using this new color for the bodywork. That makes it harder to get somewhere, but it also gives the car an "edge". By the way I absolutely love the front and rear views.

Looking awesome! I've been paying attention to this for a while, and it just keeps getting better.

You mentioned you don't love the central column on the hood. I think it may look better if the upper portion was angled down and/or lowered. Also, trying 7x3x2 panels instead of 11x3x2 panels may help you match the concept drawings a bit better. 

I had noticed you switched from the Porsche rims to the Chiron rims, presumably without LEGO hubs for either solution. Have you had issues with either solution sliding off the axle? And I would love to see a pictures if able.

Good luck!

23 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

From the side, the new design looks "simpler". Easier on the eyes, with a straight line running over the top of the doors all the way to the rear. But I'm also afraid that makes it slightly more "boring" - less exciting, so to speak. The roof is now also parallel to that line over the side, where in the previous build there were more "angles".

Not sure if this is fixable though. Maybe the "simpler" design is, in the end, cleaner and more elegant.

Little question: will the sides of the windscreen get a blue touch, you think? Or will it stay black?

I'm not 100% sold on the paneling of the doors, with the two 5x7x2 panels "facing each other" so to speak. If there ever was a case for a 11x5x2 curved panel it would be this. Again, not sure you have any other options here. In any case, I really like the global design and I like how you took on the challenge of using this new color for the bodywork. That makes it harder to get somewhere, but it also gives the car an "edge". By the way I absolutely love the front and rear views.

Hmm, finding the balance between clean lines and boring design... I'll see what I can do.

The A-pillars are still in development. Maybe I will add some blue accents to it (a continuous flexaxle along the roofline?), let's see.

I really would like to have a single-direction-curved panel that fits to the curve of the larger panels. The 3x4x5 panels do have that curve, but they are 3 deep and not available in dark azure...

9 hours ago, ginger-snapped said:

Looking awesome! I've been paying attention to this for a while, and it just keeps getting better.

You mentioned you don't love the central column on the hood. I think it may look better if the upper portion was angled down and/or lowered. Also, trying 7x3x2 panels instead of 11x3x2 panels may help you match the concept drawings a bit better. 

I had noticed you switched from the Porsche rims to the Chiron rims, presumably without LEGO hubs for either solution. Have you had issues with either solution sliding off the axle? And I would love to see a pictures if able.

Good luck!

The top part of the hood sits flush on the V10 engine, so I can't lower it unfortunately.

The axles are shown in my first post, they haven't changed (yet). The good thing of using pulleywheels is that they work with both rims. The pulleywheels have a good grip on the CV-joint, so so far I've had no issue with them falling of.

superb build!

I want one,..., IRL

just a little thing for me, the rear view mirror looks a bit low, no? one stud up would look more practicable.

Hi,

Time for another update. I redesigned the suspension system so that it can take the weight of the car. It is nice and stiff, it has positive caster and Ackerman geometry and has a driven axle. I think it is one of the best axle designs I made so far. The only improvement I still need to make is to reduce the toe-out, which currently is quite severe.

46172214754_fac0901d45_b.jpg

The keen observant may have already spotted it, I also tried a different headlight design. I am not particularly fond of it TBH, but what do you think?

The rake of the car is reduced to almost nothing. The roofline is flatenned a bit and black flexaxles are added to smooth the contour.

46172214594_7167727c5b_c.jpg

I also redesigned the rear (significantly):

33021795098_9e6c9ff52d_c.jpg

It now has bigger exhausts and a wider spoilerline, but I am still struggling with the diffusor below it.

As always comments, advice and criticism is welcomed.

Edited by Jeroen Ottens
typo

Hi Jeroen, 

The car is looking better with every update!  Nice work.

I really like how the back of the car is coming together especially the use of the red rigid hose as representative of the break light.  I think vs the originally sketch that there should be done blue body part above the exhaust.  Perhaps a 2 wide curved tile?  Also I can't help but think that the rear is a bit too short as it curves down a bit too fast imowhich then lead to a more rounded back end.

Also what do you think about closing the gap between the two panels in the doors.  In place of what looks like two #14 panels what would you think of you replaced it with a 5x11 panel?

Finally, vs the original drawing it looks like the doors are a bit too long leaving very little space in front of the back wheel.  Right now you have a #22 panel there and I think you could stand to use a number 3 or 13 panel instead of you shortened the door?

Anyways just a few thoughts, you have an amazing supercar in progress!  

Edited by KD123

Here are my thoughts. Right now the diffusor is just the bumper, it lacks the "diffusor" part, maybe you can somehow incorporate 2x5 panels into it (or something other). Love the new big exhaust holes. The new head light is good IMO, maybe you can just add 1x1 clear either round plate or tile at the bottom or LED (if there is room for it), or use clear shafts, sticks, hoses or whatever instead of LBG ones.

KD123 mentioned the gap in the door. I’ve noticed that the door has a “flat” inward curve dropping down (which I think is good and it should be like that), but is very different from the sketch. There is no gap or empty space between the door and the side skirt, so it got me thinking… What if instead of 5x7 panels you put 3x7 panels, lower them down by 1 stud and somehow do something to incorporate the sharp edge sticking out like on the sketch (maybe again with 2x5 panels or similar)?

Just something to think about.

Headlights: the new design with decent lines is not bad, but IMO there should be some kind of "light" elements however.

The rake of the car has gone, it´s a pity :cry_sad: .. Why that? I know it would require a lot of redesign, but the rear wheel arch would look better if lowered by 1 stud in relation to the rest, similar to the 42096 Porsche. The lines on the bottom could be glossed over by dark azur flex axles, I´m thinking of your 458 here :blush:. In that case perhaps the whole rear axle should move 1 stud lower as well, but that again would cause heavy complications for a chassis redesign... 

The rear looks a lot better now, coming closer to the role model. A diffuser would be nice of course. 

Another small suggestion: the LBG ++ liftarms on the roof in black color and the yellow bushes could be replaced by the same parts as well.