Didumos69

[WIP] Greyhound - 4WD RC Buggy with BuWizz 2 - Redesigned wheel hubs

@Didumos69 I say, instead of listening to the crowd, pleasure yourself with your own favorite. :wink: You gave lot of inspirational color schemes, so everyone can already pick from wide spectrum.

In case our opinion matters, I prefer moderate color mix over pimped look - black wheels for sure, unicolor body + some kind of roof (orange works with white well :wink:). Full orange is spot on too, waiting for photos of the real thing! :thumbup:

I'll stick with the black version... What I would like to try myself is this (I don't have the parts for it nor LDD to try it)... an all black design with a 3 color striping, orange, lime and yellow... on a full black vehicle,... I think it will look awesome.

Your design looks great in all these colors, very hard to decide for me.

I personally would pick orange/orange/black, but I agree with @agrof - you should pick your favorite, and if you make instructions, just list the colors that it can be built in. (and maybe a list of pieces that are changed)

Edited by mocbuild101

I'd say red red black but that's just to follow your inherent red theme :wink:! They all look great and I think if people really want they can build it in any colour they want 

14 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

I'd say red red black but that's just to follow your inherent red theme :wink:! They all look great and I think if people really want they can build it in any colour they want 

*Waits for Lego to release enough liftarms and panels in Pink*

Ian...

What about color scheme like yellow-white/red-blue? Yellow rims (and maybe suspension arms), white-red striped doors and wings and blue (or mix of dark-medium azure) top?

Sorry, I can't provide picture to show my vision.

I was going trough this topic to see if I could build this ride, as I allready have the most important parts, 8 yellow big hard springs, 4 l motors + servo and a powerfull batterypack.

So recently I got me a set of Claas tires and 4 small turntables for wheelhubs...

Just to discover that my crawler rims (wich fit the Claas tires) only have three holes instead of 6, now I've got 8 of those allready and I don't like the idea of buying 4 more rims in the same size...

Is there a solution to this, or is buying 4 more rims the only way to go ?

I did manage to hook up the turntable to the crawler rims by introducing a beltwheel inbetween them, though this increases the width of the construction and also introduces more wobble... not the way to go.

Edited by Permo

Thanks everybody for the feedback! I am not going to make more different color-scheme renders. It's good to know what your favorites are.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:24 PM, agrof said:

@Didumos69 I say, instead of listening to the crowd, pleasure yourself with your own favorite. :wink: You gave lot of inspirational color schemes, so everyone can already pick from wide spectrum.

In case our opinion matters, I prefer moderate color mix over pimped look - black wheels for sure, unicolor body + some kind of roof (orange works with white well :wink:). Full orange is spot on too, waiting for photos of the real thing! :thumbup:

I have made up my mind and I'm going for this one: Black wheels, white body and medium blue roof ( @BusterHaus I tried with reddish brown belt wheels on the rims, but preferred the yellow levers). I like the contrast between the colors and I don't like to have it completely black and white. I also don't like a pimped look.

lFF2XN-DgBNORZDtnzrb0EYVJIK70tpCwFt72CRfKpADeVa5JQ7N7UhALBxey9wX10-dLDYjiIV8j82WdMBn8HyfiVJ9_3ho0y4Ddnvr7U0wBGKLIFylQbxq

On 3/29/2018 at 3:55 PM, technic_addict said:

I like several of them and would have difficulty choosing between orange/orange/black, white/white/black, and the yellow one looks really nice as well.  I know the large yellow panel doesn't exist in the new panel but it does exist in the old panel with hole 44350/51.  Do you think it would be easy to modify with that panel?

I checked, but the old panels have different sizes and they can only be secured at one end. They would wobble all-around the place on a bumpy road, something I'm not going to put my name on. But, you could of course try for yourself.

23 hours ago, Permo said:

Is there a solution to this, or is buying 4 more rims the only way to go ?

In the back you could use normal wheel hubs with 3-holed wheels, but such a setup would have much slack. For the front axles I don't see another way than to use the 6-holed version of these rims.

Btw, if you're thinking of building the frame, I would strongly recommend to wait for the photo sequence instructions. There is no part without a reason and I'm still improving things...

Edited by Didumos69

Thanks, I allready noticed this build is quite complex and I have seen quite some small bits in the topic that I don't have in my collection, though small bits usually come cheap.

I don't like the Lego wheelhubs in general, also the way the CV joints are incorporated in them. And it's nice to see people have come up with a solution to that.

So I probably will get some of those rims anyway, to be able to do less wobly builds with the big Claas tires, problem is, the cheap ones only come in yellow and red, sofar I could not find a local seller who has 4 pieces in black at a decent price, and ordering one piece from different sellers (wich are plenty) will increase shipping costs way beyond the price of those rims... So I'm not decided yet.

I think it's very cool that you will provide building instructions !

I would love to see a parts list for the framework at some point to see how many parts I am missing.

Oh, and I like the color scheme you picked, it will look nice with a bit of dirt on it ! :tongue:

@Permo, if you want black wheels, try to find a cheap 42039. Some 42000 also come with the 6 pin version. That seems to be the cheaper option if you want a set of them. Alternatively you could use LBG ones, which are cheaper and easy to get. They're €2.50 or so directly from LEGO. 

I rather avoid buying more sets, there will be so many different unwanted  parts that I will never use, I'd like to keep my collection to a bare minimum.

Also to save space, I  also have a recording studio and electronics workshop.

Did some final form-locking in the nose and the tail...

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

And had a hard time designing and mounting seats. They sit right on top of the BuWizzes and all the wiring sits underneath them. I left holes in the seats for charging the BuWizzes and turning them on and off.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Only need to design a fake dashboard / steering wheel now.

22 minutes ago, IA creations said:

There will be so much weight, i am worryed about performance :sceptic:

I tested the framework with an additional weight of 750gr (making a total of 1.9Kg) and performance was still okay. If I run into problems, I have a few features I could skip: The fake V8 with M-motor and the spare wheel. For me the seats are a must-have.

with two Buwizz I think performance will be very good. @Lox Lego has two Buwizz in the Dodge Viper ACR and that Moc really weighs a lot!! With Ludicrous mode this MOC should burn rubber!!

13 minutes ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

with two Buwizz I think performance will be very good. @Lox Lego has two Buwizz in the Dodge Viper ACR and that Moc really weighs a lot!! With Ludicrous mode this MOC should burn rubber!!

He used two buggy motors.  No current motors can compare to buggy motors.

1 hour ago, technic_addict said:

He used two buggy motors.  No current motors can compare to buggy motors.

I was actually quite amazed how well the framework performed. Maybe the top speed is not shocking, but it can take obstacles and climbs with such ease. On a bumpy gravel road it feels as fast as on tarmac. I think a lot has to do with it being four wheel drive and using 2 BuWizzes of course.

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

Are you using Stud io?

I am going to download it, just wanted to know.

I use LDD to design and export it to Stud.io to make renders. I like Stud.io, but it consistently uses all cpu power of my laptop.

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I was actually quite amazed how well the framework performed. Maybe the top speed is not shocking, but it can take obstacles and climbs with such ease. On a bumpy gravel road it feels as fast as on tarmac. I think a lot has to do with it being four wheel drive and using 2 BuWizzes of course.

Yes, I agree.  I was just pointing out that L motors will never have the speed that buggy motors have regardless of the use of buwizz.

I was very surprised with the speed and torque of your buggy. 

14 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

For me the seats are a must-have.

I agree, and those seats are nowhere near as heavy as one of those wheels.

6 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I like Stud.io, but it consistently uses all cpu power of my laptop.

I'm still yet to get Stud.io working on my computer... I try new versions now and then, but I always have the same problem...

Stud.io is useless in recent versions for technic builds, unfortunatelly. They have changed movement of parts in Y axis to plate height and that doesn't work with technic. And using different grid is pita. Other than that it is great programm, I'm still at some older version just to avoid the grid problem, but I'm afraid that the developemnt will not lead it to state to my liking anymore :sceptic:. Sorry for OT

Added a Spartan dashboard and was finally able to drop in a sporty steering wheel design I had laying around. There is not much space and the 2-studs high steering wheel fits nicely. It's not functional and cannot turn. The steering axle is secured underneath the dashboard as well to fix its angle.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69